PDA

View Full Version : Project 1999 Code - Long Term Goals of Project 1999

HippoNipple
06-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Is there anyone that actually has access to Nilbog/Rogean? I know Rogean's stance was always keeping P1999's work private and not sharing but has this view been confirmed recently? It would be great for the emulator community if it was released. I understand the Devs wanting to finish what they set out to do but I would say they are reaching that goal soon with Velious being out for a year.

Does anyone have access to Nilbog/Rogean that could get an idea of their thoughts on the future of Blue/Red, releasing the code, or a confirmation that they plan on just leaving these servers as they are forever?

I would play on another server with P1999 coding but ideally I would like it to be run by this team since I have more trust in them from seeing how they have run this project.

Additionally - is there a way to legally compensate the team without infringing on any laws. Is it possible to require some type of payment as long as it is set up as a non-profit organization and the funds just go to fund the maintenance? If they could charge at least a one time fee of $5-$10 per account to help keep their expenses down that would be great.

Izzni
06-03-2016, 11:30 AM
The server has a population of 1000+ consistently because it doesn't have anything that comes close to the experience it provides. Releasing the source and database would hurt that, so you won't see that released until the server has died, which isn't even close to happening.

I'm sure some people have access to Roegan and Nilbog, but you should ask yourself why you want to contact them. If you want to badger them on what their future plans are then you've probably found the reason that you have trouble contacting them.

They can't legally accept payment except for hardware and hosting donations from what I understand. They both have real jobs and probably families, and they have been running this for the last 5 years or something. I wouldn't doubt that over the years their interest has ebbed and flowed.

Nilbog's goal was to recreate the glory times of EQ as he sees it. If his goal is accomplished he might be done. He doesn't owe anyone anything, and he has no obligation to release any of the source or database ever.

Tupakk
06-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Your funny if you think they are going to release the source code.

Future plans is custom content as it has been said so many times.

Uuruk
06-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Your funny if you think they are going to release the source code.

Future plans is custom content as it has been said so many times.

Custom content in 2030. The only people still playing here then will be Erati and Daldean.

Please don't ban me

indiscriminate_hater
06-03-2016, 11:53 AM
cats on the moon, modified AAs, nerf bard kiting, enforce ROTATIONS, FRONTAL STUN IMMUNITAAGHAGGHHH

Erati
06-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Custom content in 2030. The only people still playing here then will be Erati and Daldean.

Sounds pretty accurate - me and Dald have a large laundry list of shit we need to do and never any time to do it

Pokesan
06-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Please don't ban me

Think its 2nd time im reporting you so better watch out now

Uuruk
06-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Think its 2nd time im reporting you so better watch out now

Well at least when I get banned from these forums I don't go to one of the Reddit pages and trash talk all the staff here.

Pokesan
06-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Well at least when I get banned from these forums I don't go to one of the Reddit pages and trash talk all the staff here.

woosh ;)

Haynar
06-03-2016, 01:35 PM
What went on with the whole takp/p2002 situation with code, only reinforced the need to stay closed source. Don't expect p99 to go open source.

I know they plan to open another server, that starts over. And will probably stick to a real timeline of patches.

I have seen no work on additional content. I looks like they are following timeline up to luclin release. But no luclin.

I actually play some now myself. I also wanted the same quality and experience that p99 offered. Stuck in Velious forever? Can't pay me enough.

Cats on the moon? I can deal with that.

H

HippoNipple
06-03-2016, 02:39 PM
The server has a population of 1000+ consistently because it doesn't have anything that comes close to the experience it provides. Releasing the source and database would hurt that, so you won't see that released until the server has died, which isn't even close to happening.

I'm sure some people have access to Roegan and Nilbog, but you should ask yourself why you want to contact them. If you want to badger them on what their future plans are then you've probably found the reason that you have trouble contacting them.

They can't legally accept payment except for hardware and hosting donations from what I understand. They both have real jobs and probably families, and they have been running this for the last 5 years or something. I wouldn't doubt that over the years their interest has ebbed and flowed.

Nilbog's goal was to recreate the glory times of EQ as he sees it. If his goal is accomplished he might be done. He doesn't owe anyone anything, and he has no obligation to release any of the source or database ever.

I sense some defensiveness here. I am not trying to get them to do anything for free or asking any more from them. I was just curious if there was a next step after Velious because I like Project 1999. I'm actually only interested in the PvP server. There are a couple people that would like to make PvP servers but don't have the resources or time to do as good of a job as these devs have.

As for the payments, I was referring to methods that would help with the costs, not donations that would pay a salary.

If they don't plan on going open source and don't plan on doing anything else besides keeping these two servers open the way they are that is fine with me, I was just wondering if they had future goals including open source or new servers.

renordw
06-03-2016, 03:35 PM
cats on the moon, modified AAs, nerf bard kiting, enforce ROTATIONS, FRONTAL STUN IMMUNITAAGHAGGHHH

snead
06-03-2016, 03:45 PM
anyone who wants to truly better the world releases it for free and open source so people can learn and improve.

noteworthy examples below.

linux
tls/ssl
early id games
tor
firefox

it's not like they are making money off this server. it's not going to hurt their revenue to release it. in fact it would be able to be evaluated and approved by the community. there's no reason to have a black curtain in front of the window here.

Farzo
06-03-2016, 03:53 PM

H

Owwwwwww

So you saying there's a chance for AAs and Beastlords? And ssra temple and vex thal and emp 2hs????

NarcolepticLTD
06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Owwwwwww

So you saying there's a chance for AAs and Beastlords? And ssra temple and vex thal and emp 2hs????

no, but TAKP there is.

Ele
06-03-2016, 04:24 PM
anyone who wants to truly better the world releases it for free and open source so people can learn and improve.

linux
tls/ssl
early id games
tor
firefox

it's not like they are making money off this server. it's not going to hurt their revenue to release it. in fact it would be able to be evaluated and approved by the community. there's no reason to have a black curtain in front of the window here.

you sweet summer child

Bazia
06-03-2016, 04:26 PM
thanks haynar i appreciate response

Fame
06-03-2016, 04:34 PM
thanks haynar i appreciate response

Appreciate it too Big H

HippoNipple
06-03-2016, 04:37 PM

linux
tls/ssl
early id games
tor
firefox

That makes sense when there is competition already ahead of you and a need to improve but P1999 is a different situation. Them going open source wouldn't better their position, it would actually worsen it, but it would be a good thing for everyone else.

snead
06-03-2016, 06:54 PM
That makes sense when there is competition already ahead of you and a need to improve but P1999 is a different situation. Them going open source wouldn't better their position, it would actually worsen it, but it would be a good thing for everyone else.

what do you mean by worsen their position? you think some new emu server is going to trump p99? let me ask you this. why does p99 care about numbers anyways? if anything it means less petitions to respond to.

Ravager
06-03-2016, 07:21 PM
What went on with the whole takp/p2002 situation with code, only reinforced the need to stay closed source. Don't expect p99 to go open source.

I know they plan to open another server, that starts over. And will probably stick to a real timeline of patches.

I have seen no work on additional content. I looks like they are following timeline up to luclin release. But no luclin.

I actually play some now myself. I also wanted the same quality and experience that p99 offered. Stuck in Velious forever? Can't pay me enough.

H

Fuck cats on the moon. Make it Centaurs on Mars. You have the power to make EQ what it should have been.

Izzni
06-03-2016, 07:21 PM
what do you mean by worsen their position? you think some new emu server is going to trump p99? let me ask you this. why does p99 care about numbers anyways? if anything it means less petitions to respond to.

A high server pop of non-botted players is one of the most important parts of classic EQ. Duh...

Sage Truthbearer
06-03-2016, 08:52 PM
This reminds me of when the lead developer of EQClassic (Yeahlight) refused to release his source code even after officially shuttering the entire project. Things didn't go exactly his way, and he just took his ball and went home.

Ravager
06-03-2016, 08:58 PM
This reminds me of when the lead developer of EQClassic (Yeahlight) refused to release his source code even after officially shuttering the entire project. Things didn't go exactly his way, and he just took his ball and went home.

Sadly, it wasn't long after that P99 got Daybreak's blessing and Yeahlight could have had a sanctioned emulated server like he wanted too.

Swish
06-03-2016, 10:20 PM
EQClassic might find new life before discord happens tho, amirite guys?

Cynosure
06-05-2016, 03:03 AM
I've only returned to P99 after many years; however, they wouldn't release the source code for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (which officially died and had the servers TAKEN down).

My guess it that you won't get the code for this nor will you find a non-official "official" server anywhere.