PDA

View Full Version : Should this server allow boxing of level 1 characters only?

DMN
06-04-2016, 03:51 PM
I've been pulling my hair out these last days just trying to get some of my 50+ spells. The spells are apparently being bought and sold according to p99 auctions, but never when I'm on my EC mule apparently, Whenever I camp my main out i at risk for losing my camp and at my level now it's not easy to simply find another camp. For the life of me I cannot see what harm would be caused by simply allowing such behavior.

And before anyone says it: I do already keep the auction stream going in my browser and tab over once and awhile but its just giant waste of time for the past couple of days. I think these "lower value" items probably don't get bothered to be offered for sale so you pretty much need to "WTB them..

jcbbjjttt
06-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Nope. Don't allow this. Suck it up and tunnel quest like the rest of us.

DMN
06-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Nope. Don't allow this. Suck it up and tunnel quest like the rest of us.

Why not? Be specific.

iruinedyourday
06-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Because you must suck it up.

Lune
06-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Why not? Be specific.

Being allowed to box a tunnel-mule is very un-classic and creates a very un-classic environment. Now everybody rarely ever has to run to the bank or make dedicated EC tunnel visits to get things bought or sold which, for better for worse, is a staple classic EQ experience. Tunnel would be completely different and everything would be shittier. Convenience isn't always best. Much of the draw of classic EQ is precisely its inconvenience; for people who like to delay gratification, accomplishing something in EQ is that much more rewarding because of the process involved.

EQ is like edging for six hours and then finally having a tantric, transcendent orgasmic experience, versus the modern MMO where you nut in like 10 mins and it's meh

DMN
06-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Being allowed to box a tunnel-mule is very un-classic and creates a very un-classic environment. Now everybody rarely ever has to run to the bank or make dedicated EC tunnel visits to get things bought or sold which, for better for worse, is a staple classic EQ experience. Tunnel would be completely different and everything would be shittier. Convenience isn't always best. Much of the draw of classic EQ is precisely its inconvenience; for people who like to delay gratification, accomplishing something in EQ is that much more rewarding because of the process involved.

EQ is like edging for six hours and then finally having a tantric, transcendent orgasmic experience, versus the modern MMO where you nut in like 10 mins and it's meh

Not classic? almost every player who didn't box other characters 50+ in classic had an EC mule boxed instead, or friend/guildmate doing it. If you want to make some kind of completely arbitrary argument about the accomplishment of sitting on your ass and drooling on your keyboard as you hit your EC macro button that's fine, but not classic? puhleez.

Cecily
06-04-2016, 04:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CecE5VA.gif?noredirect

Kaedain
06-04-2016, 05:04 PM
SHOOSH !

Troxx
06-04-2016, 05:42 PM
DMN is an angry fella

RDawg816
06-04-2016, 06:11 PM
No. We don't need the bazaar in EC. You can post on the forums, sit in EC like normal, and/or use the websites to your advantage and seek people out that are selling/buying what you have/want.

Sancta
06-04-2016, 06:59 PM
p99auctions.com

Shows you the name of the person selling it. Make a friend list and check it twice.

Jaxon
06-04-2016, 08:50 PM
This sounds like a good opportunity for a <Dial A Port> druid to make a few hundred pp. Make the purchase via tells and then arrange freight by typing /who all dial

Swish
06-04-2016, 09:10 PM
I'd honestly like to see a 24 hour blackout of all IP exemptions to see what impact there is on the EC tunnel population.

Tupakk
06-04-2016, 09:17 PM
This sounds like a good opportunity for a <Dial A Port> druid to make a few hundred pp. Make the purchase via tells and then arrange freight by typing /who all dial

Actually we do it all the time. We also try to farm the lower level spells just to sell.

If your going to box gives us your account info so when you get banned we can have your toon. Like IRYD said suck it up. Hire a tunnel rat to buy your spells or go farm them if your not willing to spend a little extra.

Masakizt
06-04-2016, 09:33 PM
I'd honestly like to see a 24 hour blackout of all IP exemptions to see what impact there is on the EC tunnel population.

Would at least be halved, if not more, I reckon. Most the owner of those blacked out EC traders would be the ones sitting here preaching 'not classic', 'not allowed'. Bunch of hypocrites I bet you.. think they've got an edge because they beating the system..

Lulz

JackFlash
06-04-2016, 09:41 PM
No. Thanks for playing.

Evia
06-05-2016, 12:46 AM
Not classic? almost every player who didn't box other characters 50+ in classic had an EC mule boxed instead, or friend/guildmate doing it. If you want to make some kind of completely arbitrary argument about the accomplishment of sitting on your ass and drooling on your keyboard as you hit your EC macro button that's fine, but not classic? puhleez.

This server promotes a classic experience. Just because some ppl did it back in the day it doesn't make it classic. Classic is more or less meaning the way the game was designed to be played. (IE: boxless)

Just to humor you though if the development team did allow it, where would you draw the line? You allow lvl 1 boxing you really just open up the door for many more changes that don't line up with the "classic as the game was meant to be played" vibe we've got going on. Or at least got going on as best as they can get it.

iruinedyourday
06-05-2016, 01:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/olRNpo1.jpg

OfftuneRZ
06-05-2016, 02:17 AM
I would love to see this implemented, but unfortunately 90% of the population are in some sort of anti boxing klan and every time a thread is posted suggesting boxing they get all up in arms with their "not classic" bullshit. Guess what idiots? Boxing is definitely classic and happened all the time.

RDawg816
06-05-2016, 02:56 AM
Boxing is definitely classic and happened all the time.
Boxing also required you spend money on the software/key codes, monthly subscriptions and enough on your computer(s) to handle that many characters. With technology today, and p99 having no fees associated with it, boxing would be a terribly horrible idea....
This is coming from someone who had 5 accounts running on 2 computers on live. I would fill my group with friends and guildees and have my army help from out of group. The difference is, on p99 you would see them monopolizing zones/camps/raid mobs....

Cynosure
06-05-2016, 03:05 AM
https://i.imgur.com/olRNpo1.jpg

DMN
06-05-2016, 04:35 AM
Given that not single good reason was provided here, it's clear to me that some people have a vested interest n the status quo, and no doubt are using their IP exemptions to mule Ec characters. It is , in fact, the only logical conclusion at this point.

I mean, worst case scenario is that its easier to buy and sell stuff. OMG. That would be terrible.Why th pushback on something universally good? People are gaming the system already and want to think they are special snowflakes.

Trollhide
06-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Here's a question for you, op.

If you hate the ruleset so much on this server, why not play on another server whose rules you agree with instead of trying to bend the world to your will?

No boxing. Not even once.

Swish
06-05-2016, 07:59 AM
I would love to see this implemented, but unfortunately 90% of the population are in some sort of anti boxing klan and every time a thread is posted suggesting boxing they get all up in arms with their "not classic" bullshit. Guess what idiots? Boxing is definitely classic and happened all the time.

Yeah but not EVERYONE boxed because people didnt want to pay $20, $30 or $40 a month.

When accounts are free... well, look at The Hidden Forest (people 12 box)

Llandris
06-05-2016, 08:12 AM
No

Barkingturtle
06-05-2016, 08:22 AM
The tunnel in its current iteration is essentially the lone unique aspect of P99. Most of what makes Classic EQ "Classic" can be found elsewhere, but the tunnel experience is pure nostalgia and it's ours. Removing some of the hassle would in turn remove some of its uniqueness.

Not classic? almost every player who didn't box other characters 50+ in classic had .... friend/guildmate doing it.

Also, just want to clear something up for the OP here because it seems he might be confused:

What you've proposed in the quoted section above is totally legal. You are allowed to make friends. You know, just in case you were waiting for permission or something.

DMN
06-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Awesome. I only needed barking turdlette's permission for my friends to box EC mules. Thanks bro.

If this is an error, he turdlette gets the ban hammer.

jolanar
06-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah but not EVERYONE boxed because people didnt want to pay $20, $30 or $40 a month.

So put limits on it? I'm against boxing in general but that's not really an excuse otherwise. Boxing is classic, but people just need to accept that this isn't a strict 100% classic server. Especially given things like Chardok which were definitely NOT classic but are still allowed.

Barkingturtle
06-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Awesome. I only needed barking turdlette's permission for my friends to box EC mules. Thanks bro.

If this is an error, he turdlette gets the ban hammer.

You misinterpreted my post. I never said your friends could box. I said you are allowed to make friends here and have them do your tunnelquesting. It was an obvious joke, because you are clearly unlikable and will never have any friends.

Thulack
06-05-2016, 09:35 AM
This is same guy who cant get through his head why he is only one having connection issues. He is just a troll http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244428

DMN
06-05-2016, 10:00 AM
This is same guy who cant get through his head why he is only one having connection issues. He is just a troll http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244428

Well, we have certainly managed to capture the tiny-dicked, sand-kick-in-the-face internet loser who populated the EQ forums back then, Bravo. So classic.

Thulack
06-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Well, we have certainly managed to capture the tiny dicked, sand kick in the face internt loser who populatd the EQ forums back then, Bravo. So classic.

Yep i played live for 12 years and was on the forums constantly. Still not a moron like you though ;)

DMN
06-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Yep i played live for 12 years and was on the forums constantly. Still not a moron like you though ;)

Playing for 12 years and still shooting blanks, bro.

Thulack
06-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Playing for 12 years and still shooting blanks, bro.

I wish i shot blanks. Having a kid at 17 messes with your life.

DMN
06-05-2016, 10:21 AM
I wish i shot blanks. Having a kid at 17 messes with your life.

Says who, Urkel?

Littlestgnome
06-05-2016, 10:23 AM
There is no logical reason why this person has not been given a logical reason.

Kieu
06-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Evia
06-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Given that not single good reason was provided here, it's clear to me that some people have a vested interest n the status quo, and no doubt are using their IP exemptions to mule Ec characters. It is , in fact, the only logical conclusion at this point.

I mean, worst case scenario is that its easier to buy and sell stuff. OMG. That would be terrible.Why th pushback on something universally good? People are gaming the system already and want to think they are special snowflakes.

You come across like an entitled piece of shit. It's not 'universally good' it's a terrible idea and your panties are just in a twist because nobody agrees with you.

Kieu
06-05-2016, 01:05 PM

I found this thread very enjoyable.

Endorra
06-05-2016, 01:19 PM

trite
06-05-2016, 01:28 PM
I've been pulling my hair out these last days just trying to get some of my 50+ spells. The spells are apparently being bought and sold according to p99 auctions, but never when I'm on my EC mule apparently, Whenever I camp my main out i at risk for losing my camp and at my level now it's not easy to simply find another camp. For the life of me I cannot see what harm would be caused by simply allowing such behavior.

And before anyone says it: I do already keep the auction stream going in my browser and tab over once and awhile but its just giant waste of time for the past couple of days. I think these "lower value" items probably don't get bothered to be offered for sale so you pretty much need to "WTB them..

You want to completely change this server because you're having trouble with one of the most trivial things to accomplish.....if going to Chardok and asking for free spells doesn't work, just ask someone in east commons to auction WTB xxxx for you ....join a guild ....interact with people....forcing interaction with other people is something the no box rule accomplishes. It is definitely classic.....when everquest first came out most of us still had 56k modems, as high-speed internet was not widely available in many areas. Even if it was, most people's computers couldn't run two instances of the game and almost no one owned two computers powerful enough to each run one instance....

Daywolf
06-05-2016, 04:47 PM

That and not everyone had a system to box EQ on the same putter well enough. That and dial-up connections. It even made bard kite swarming more rare, from what I saw compared to here. I was boxing at the time, but it UO :D the con and the system specs wasn't as demanding. I did a ton of boxing on PEQ grand over the years, have a ton of capped chars, but nothing near as fun as being stuck with only one character at a time like here. Even before P99, people where just demanding a non-boxing server. imo a big part of this servers success.

No
I found this thread very enjoyable.This is same guy who cant get through his head why he is only one having connection issues. He is just a troll http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244428

DMN
06-05-2016, 05:53 PM
You come across like an entitled piece of shit. It's not 'universally good' it's a terrible idea and your panties are just in a twist because nobody agrees with you.

I had an idea that would improve the server, and is far more reflective of "classic" if it's being arbitrarily defined as "up until SoV", at which time boxing in EC was extremely common. If that makes me "an entitled piece of shit", I'd hate to think what that makes you.

Due to the lack a single good reason contrary to the proposed idea, I know with certainty at this point people are abusing the IP exceptions and/or using some program to multibox and they simply want to be the only ones able to do such.

Daywolf
06-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Due to the lack a single good reason contrary to the proposed idea, I know with certainty at this point people are abusing the IP exceptions and/or using some program to multibox and they simply want to be the only ones able to do such.
Yeah, another conspiracy, eh?
You haven't played on the multi-box allowed servers yet I take it, which I think are all the rest. That or didn't play live during this era as no one in my guild was multi-boxing for a vendor alt. Nobody, and we had a lot of guildies.

Llandris gave the best "single good reason" if that was what you were looking for.
Of course you could always play one of the other servers rather than expecting us to surrender ours. But I get it, less people in them, so you don't want to - though you don't get that multi-boxing servers tend to go that way. But for a moment you would enjoy multi-boxing on a populated server, until it died anyway.

Thulack
06-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Simple answer is its not allowed because this isnt a democracy. This is a dictatorship run by Rogean and Nilbog and their word is final. If you dont like it as others have stated there are other servers that allow it that you can play on.

RDawg816
06-05-2016, 07:17 PM
...join a guild ....interact with people....
No. Don't encourage OP to do any of this. I wouldn't wish this on anyone or any guild. I feel sorry for anyone who already has to interact with him. Even worse, people in the real world that can't /ignore or /q to find peace.

Evia
06-05-2016, 09:58 PM
I had an idea that would improve the server, and is far more reflective of "classic" if it's being arbitrarily defined as "up until SoV", at which time boxing in EC was extremely common. If that makes me "an entitled piece of shit", I'd hate to think what that makes you.

Are you still talking?

DMN
06-06-2016, 07:43 AM
The losers doth protest too much.

Trollhide
06-06-2016, 08:51 AM
op you seem real mad about elf sims have you tried getting laid? its good for both your mental and prostate health

Ravager
06-06-2016, 08:53 AM
I think Rogean should add a Suggestions for the Server sub-forum so they can all be ignored in the same place.

elwing
06-06-2016, 08:59 AM
no

maskedmelon
06-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Nope.

Ele
06-06-2016, 10:34 AM
This guy must be a miner he has so much salt.

gildor
06-06-2016, 10:46 AM
DMN must stand for dickless and mind numb

..wow dude everything here is about you not getting your pixels the easy way..

let me show a place where you can do that!

www.worldofwarcraft.com

OR

www.everquest.com

....again please see my response in the previously mentioned thread about your Jimmy being severely rustled..

there isn't a medication for it, but a bottle of jergens and a picture of your sister would quickly help the "pressure" you have been under

DMN
06-06-2016, 11:20 AM
DMN must stand for dickless and mind numb

..wow dude everything here is about you not getting your pixels the easy way..

let me show a place where you can do that!

www.worldofwarcraft.com

OR

www.everquest.com

....again please see my response in the previously mentioned thread about your Jimmy being severely rustled..

there isn't a medication for it, but a bottle of jergens and a picture of your sister would quickly help the "pressure" you have been under

I be so el33t. with my 20 year old video game. Bitches just don't know.

maskedmelon
06-06-2016, 11:32 AM
I be so el33t. with my 20 year old video game. Bitches just don't know.

I don't believe you.

Ket
06-06-2016, 11:39 AM
This is why I keep coming back here.

Boxing not classic. Complaining about not getting your way? Classic.

Daldaen
06-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Boxing would be fine on a server like red, because no one plays there it wouldn't get too overcrowded.

It wouldn't be too terribly bad on blue if limited to an account that cannot gain XP and must be limited to certain zones like EC and such. TAK did this with success recently.

But meh, tunnel quest is stupid. Just release Luclin and Bazaar please

Swish
06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Boxing would be fine on a server like red...

I don't think you've thought that through at all.

Hastley
06-06-2016, 01:05 PM
I don't think you've thought that through at all.

Reds dead

Troxx
06-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Reds dead

myriverse
06-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Nope. There's barely even a point to grouping at level 1.

myriverse
06-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Guess what idiots? Boxing is definitely classic and happened all the time.
The vast majority of players had:
- 1 computer
- dialup/no broadband
- 1 phone line.

If you were boxing, you were an extreme minority.

DMN
06-06-2016, 04:32 PM
The vast majority of players had:
- 1 computer
- dialup/no broadband
- 1 phone line.

If you were boxing, you were an extreme minority.

Not in 2002, man. Almost everyone by then was off landline modems and had acomputer(s) that could run second account, either on their main computer and/or on their old computer. You are talking like 2-3 years, easily within the window that a lot of gamers completely upgrade their systems. Boxing was all over the place by th time SoV arrived. I even once joined a 4 person group and soon found out the whole team was being boxed by the player.... was actually pretty decent group, too.

Trollhide
06-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Cool story. It is not allowed here, will never be allowed here, and shouldn't be allowed here.

Pras Rogean

DMN
06-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Cool story. It is not allowed here, will never be allowed here, and shouldn't be allowed here.

Pras Rogean

I wouldn't speak for rogean or anyone else for that matter.
And never say never unless it involves your sex life.

nilbog
06-06-2016, 04:42 PM
You can blame or praise me for the no boxing rule. This same type of argument was prevalent before I released p99. At that time, I said if there was less than 50 people, I would consider allowing boxing. Else, it would detrimental to a real community forming. I believe I made the right choice.

Also.. Velious released in December 2000. Research the % of people at that time who had broadband connections. Take that same % and the % of people paying for Everquest accounts, and you will find a very small statistic.

Thulack
06-06-2016, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't speak for rogean or anyone else for that matter.
And never say never unless it involves your sex life.

You can blame or praise me for the no boxing rule. This same type of argument was prevalent before I released p99. At that time, I said if there was less than 50 people, I would consider allowing boxing. Else, it would detrimental to a real community forming. I believe I made the right choice.

Also.. Velious released in December 2000. Research the % of people at that time who had broadband connections. Take that same % and the % of people paying for Everquest accounts, and you will find a very small statistic.

You going to STFU now DMN?

Nirgon
06-06-2016, 04:48 PM
even less people knew about/used item recharging during this era

Thulack
06-06-2016, 05:01 PM
My whole family played EQ. My stepdad brought it home in August of 99 and along with my mom and little brother we all played. We had 2 computers and Cable internet(my dad worked for a cellphone company so they hooked all their employees up because he had to work from home sometimes). Usually my parents would play together and then if it wasnt too late my brother and i would get to play. We also rotated account when needed because we only had 2. My brother played on my dads and i played on my moms. We would box each others characters when needed since PC's were right next to each other on desk. My experience is completely not classic to many but was my way of life for years. Saying this i still feel this server is right about no boxing and its one of the reasons that the server is so successful because they have stuck to it. I spent more hours in EC then i care to imagine. While yes i'm sure there are some people that are boxing against the rules and have a toon sitting there the number i'm sure is less then you would think.I also think it should stay this way for the integrity of the server.

JackFlash
06-06-2016, 05:02 PM
even less people knew about/used item recharging during this era

DMN
06-06-2016, 05:07 PM

But that would be a misleading if not completely irrelevant statistic. EQ players that got on that boat originally were/are not a randomly select group of people. They would be statistical outliers on numerous fronts. And why look at SoV release date instead of a more realistic date that this server is trying to emulate(2002).

In a general sense I like the no boxing rule, but I fail to see the issue on level 1 characters only. The fact you see such incredibly bizarre pushback on such a minor change on here is pretty clear evidence you have a lot of people gaming the system already(they already multi account) and they just want to remain special snowflakes. <--- thats a hell of a lot bigger problem than simply allowing level 1's to be boxed.

DMN
06-06-2016, 05:13 PM
You going to STFU now DMN?

Nope. We are going to have big boy conversation.

Thulack
06-06-2016, 05:50 PM
But that would be a misleading if not completely irrelevant statistic. EQ players that got on that boat originally were/are not a randomly select group of people. They would be statistical outliers on numerous fronts. And why look at SoV release date instead of a more realistic date that this server is trying to emulate(2002).

In a general sense I like the no boxing rule, but I fail to see the issue on level 1 characters only. The fact you see such incredibly bizarre pushback on such a minor change on here is pretty clear evidence you have a lot of people gaming the system already(they already multi account) and they just want to remain special snowflakes. <--- thats a hell of a lot bigger problem than simply allowing level 1's to be boxed.

And how would you suggest they monitor a level 1 boxing allowed rule?

HippoNipple
06-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Sweet, so boxing is legal on Red.

Ravager
06-07-2016, 07:04 AM

What evidence do you have of this beyond anecdote? Did you keep stats on this back then? Take a poll?

Izmael
06-07-2016, 07:33 AM
I quit Live EQ in 2002 and I can guarantee that very little boxing was going on. Probably under 5% of people would do it as their primary play style. I led a raiding guild back then so I suppose I have a solid view of what people did.

First, leveling up a second character to 65 (I think the limit was) wasn't taking a couple weeks like today, it took many months for the common folk. So only the most hardcore players would dedicate time to do it.

Second, additional account would cost additional subscription money. Also, adjusting for inflation, $15 in 2002 would be about $20 today.

Third, you needed a 2nd comp and comps were expensive back then.

TLDR: Boxing is evil.

DMN
06-07-2016, 07:35 AM
What evidence do you have of this beyond anecdote? Did you keep stats on this back then? Take a poll?

It's funny you mention that. The old uber guild I was in on Fenin at one point was going to make it a rule that you needed to have better than a dial up connection for new recruits. We ended up not adopting the rule after a poll in guild showed only 2 people in the guild still had dialups and even those two largely didn't play the game any more and just logged in to chat. This was before Fenin (and a few other of the first servers) was offered the chance to move characters off the server, too. Might have even been before SoV was even released.

DMN
06-07-2016, 07:42 AM
I quit Live EQ in 2002 and I can guarantee that very little boxing was going on. Probably under 5% of people would do it as their primary play style. I led a raiding guild back then so I suppose I have a solid view of what people did.

First, leveling up a second character to 65 (I think the limit was) wasn't taking a couple weeks like today, it took many months for the common folk. So only the most hardcore players would dedicate time to do it.

Second, additional account would cost additional subscription money. Also, adjusting for inflation, $15 in 2002 would be about $20 today.

Third, you needed a 2nd comp and comps were expensive back then.

TLDR: Boxing is evil.

Bullshit flag is thrown. In 2002, it was probably closer to 15-20% people truly actively boxed with an additional character or more. However, if you added the amount of people with a "mule account" that they had an EC mule, power level mule, rez mule, port mule etc. the number goes far, far higher.

And your logic, if you want to call it that, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The longer it takes to level up, the more people will resolve to boxing because they don't want to get through all that bullshit again.

Ravager
06-07-2016, 07:45 AM
It's funny you mention that. The old uber guild I was in on Fenin at one point was going to make it a rule that you needed to have better than a dial up connection for new recruits. We ended up not adopting the rule after a poll in guild showed only 2 people in the guild still had dialups and even those two largely didn't play the game any more and just logged in to chat. This was before Fenin (and a few other of the first servers) was offered the chance to move characters off the server, too. Might have even been before SoV was even released.

But that is only representative of a raiding guild, a group of people who arguably take their gaming more seriously and would be more likely to pay for a broadband connection simply for gaming. Raiders on EQ have always been the minority.

DMN
06-07-2016, 08:02 AM
But that is only representative of a raiding guild, a group of people who arguably take their gaming more seriously and would be more likely to pay for a broadband connection simply for gaming. Raiders on EQ have always been the minority.

That might be the case, but it's certainly much closer to being a realistic representation then just taking a random sampling of people on the internet in 2002.

Izmael
06-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Bottom line is, there will be boxing on P99 as per dev statement.

It kills immersion, is non-classic and there are plenty of other servers that allow boxing (unsurprisingly, they suck compared to P99 - maybe precisely because of boxing).

DMN
06-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Bottom line is, there will be boxing on P99 as per dev statement.

It kills immersion, is non-classic and there are plenty of other servers that allow boxing (unsurprisingly, they suck compared to P99 - maybe precisely because of boxing).

Sorry, it IS CLASSIC. It doesn't kill immersion because EC is already stuffed full of low level mule characters trying to buy/sell anyway. This thread isn't about boxing generically; it's specifically about allowing boxing with an account that is only allowed to have level 1 characters on it.

Thulack
06-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Sorry, it IS CLASSIC. It doesn't kill immersion because EC is already stuffed full of low level mule characters trying to buy/sell anyway. This thread isn't about boxing generically; it's specifically about allowing boxing with an account that is only allowed to have level 1 characters on it.

Again i ask how do you enforce such a rule? You are all for changing things but have yet to say how it should be enforced.

Izmael
06-07-2016, 08:29 AM

Whatever, bro. You're fighting a battle that has already been lost. Sometimes it's wiser to just let go.

DMN
06-07-2016, 08:50 AM
I'm not fighting any battles, bro. i made a suggestion that would improve the server.

elwing
06-07-2016, 09:32 AM
how can it improve the server? by making some seller 24/24? that will just break tunnelquest experience and remove lots of opportunities to make good deals for the people that take the time... the market is really different depending on the time of day, allow boxing and you'll ruin that.

Swish
06-07-2016, 09:37 AM
You can box on just about any other server out there - why here?

maskedmelon
06-07-2016, 09:46 AM

Nah.

DMN
06-07-2016, 09:50 AM
You can box on just about any other server out there - why here?

Because the economy is shit. A week of constantly looking and not finding any 50-54 spells? Not even remotely classic. Not even in the same god damn zip code. A better question is: why not.... and for the millionth time? And don't even god damn start talking about boxing in general. Only level 1 characters.

Izmael
06-07-2016, 10:02 AM
A week of constantly looking and not finding any 50-54 spells? Not even remotely classic.

You gotta be kidding here.

Classic is taking shitloads of time to achieve anything in EQ.

DMN
06-07-2016, 10:05 AM
You gotta be kidding here.

Classic is taking shitloads of time to achieve anything in EQ.

LOL. bullshit. not even sure why i respond to you anymore. its clear you never even played the game back then and your posts would be generously described as garbage.

Swish
06-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Because the economy is shit. A week of constantly looking and not finding any 50-54 spells? Not even remotely classic. Not even in the same god damn zip code. A better question is: why not.... and for the millionth time? And don't even god damn start talking about boxing in general. Only level 1 characters.

What about only level 5 characters? That way I can level my bard mule up and can move around in the tunnel?

Wait, why don't we scrap the weight limit for EC so traders can move around?

Wait, why don't we set up so we can trade while we're offline? Like a bazaar, but in EC?

.... once you start down that road there's no getting off it.

maskedmelon
06-07-2016, 10:10 AM
There is a non-classic lack of fighting batons on this server. Just sayin'

Izmael
06-07-2016, 10:54 AM
LOL. bullshit. not even sure why i respond to you anymore. its clear you never even played the game back then and your posts would be generously described as garbage.

I can sense passive-aggressiveness in the Force.

Ket
06-07-2016, 11:14 AM
This is awesome.

Pick your battles, friend. This ain't one.

Lojik
06-07-2016, 11:45 AM
There is a non-classic lack of fighting batons on this server. Just sayin'

Have yet to see a langseax too

Ele
06-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Have yet to see a langseax too

Love me some Langseax and Langseax of the Wolves.

There were some floating around before Kunark, but after Kunark and the flood of cheap weapons (or free to newbies), there isn't a point to quest for these types of classic weapons unless it is for flavor and immediate banking.

Can't wait to see all these quests back in action on a re-roll server.

Thulack
06-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Again i ask how do you enforce such a rule? You are all for changing things but have yet to say how it should be enforced.

Landael
06-07-2016, 01:09 PM

Have done this, can confirm it's awesome for not breaking up Groups camp =)

Also with the recent chat restrictions on lvl 1 chars would that not make them fairly useless at lvl 1?:o

fadetree
06-07-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm not fighting any battles, bro. i made a suggestion that would improve the server.

You made a suggestion that YOU think would improve the server. Because......because...well, you got mad 'n frustrated because you couldn't pop on anytime you wanted and get your spells? So you decided to suggest we change a major part of what's made p99 so successful...yes, I know ONLY LEVEL 1s.

No.

Dinbin
06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
I'm glad boxing is not allowed. It breaks so many games. Reduces the interaction and cooperation levels.

I for one LOVE zoning into EC... it's like going to the mall.

I mean, if you like malls. I like malls.

myriverse
06-07-2016, 03:09 PM
A better question is: why not.... and for the millionth time? And don't even god damn start talking about boxing in general. Only level 1 characters.
But why? Pretty much any class can get through level 1 solo... in minutes.

Hoozi
06-07-2016, 03:14 PM
At that time, I said if there was less than 50 people, I would consider allowing boxing.

Sounds like red would be a great playground for boxing then. Unleash the hounds!

manguard
06-07-2016, 05:14 PM
The spell market here is rough, boxing won't fix that.

JurisDictum
06-07-2016, 05:42 PM
As can see, people making money off the status quo don't want it to be changed. There are a good amount of people that play EC more than EQ

Thulack
06-07-2016, 05:48 PM
As can see, people making money off the status quo don't want it to be changed. There are a good amount of people that play EC more than EQ

Takes more then sitting in EC to "Play EC". People boxing level 1 toons while doing other things arent going to beat people to bargins to resell.

khandman
06-07-2016, 06:39 PM
This is a classic content server.

Boxing has nothing to do with classic content.

Argument mute.

Muggens
06-07-2016, 06:46 PM
OP go home.

JurisDictum
06-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Boxing a level 1 character is not going to go over on this server. But I sympathize with OP. Some of classic is just ignorance of new developing genre...not intended community building.

Lack bazaar effectively shrinks the economy. People quit this game because its a pain in the ass to transfer/sell and buy shit. It's one of the first major problems with the original game that was addressed.

drktmplr12
06-08-2016, 12:30 PM
i think you are the first to suggest this, ever

Thulack
06-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Boxing a level 1 character is not going to go over on this server. But I sympathize with OP. Some of classic is just ignorance of new developing genre...not intended community building.

Lack bazaar effectively shrinks the economy. People quit this game because its a pain in the ass to transfer/sell and buy shit. It's one of the first major problems with the original game that was addressed.

If someone quits the game because they have a hard time xfering stuff they werent going to be around playing long anyway.

JurisDictum
06-08-2016, 02:01 PM
If someone quits the game because they have a hard time xfering stuff they werent going to be around playing long anyway.

Hey man if you can't track that dragon for hours, chances are you never willing to put the time in to kill it in the first place.

That argument is always stupid.

Thulack
06-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Hey man if you can't track that dragon for hours, chances are you never willing to put the time in to kill it in the first place.

That argument is always stupid.

Might be stupid but its true.

fadetree
06-08-2016, 02:19 PM
many true things are.

robisatsea
06-08-2016, 02:29 PM
There is one thing I noticed that no one else has pointed out. There are those of us including myself who find great satisfaction in the fact that you can't just stroll into the EC Tunnel anytime you want and buy your coveted spells. It's the have and the have not element of EQ Classic. You sir, are a have not like me and that's what keeps you working toward your goals.

Check12345
06-08-2016, 03:04 PM
What a weird hill to go die on, OP.

Smurflogik
06-08-2016, 04:12 PM
OP is my new favorite poster, but I think he missed the memo that this level of trolling should probably take place in RnF.

People have listed tons of good reasons to oppose this, but there is only one that matters: boxing, in any form, goes against the philosophy of those who own the server. Period.

Don't like it? Take a hike.

DMN
06-10-2016, 11:19 PM
OP is my new favorite poster, but I think he missed the memo that this level of trolling should probably take place in RnF.

People have listed tons of good reasons to oppose this, but there is only one that matters: boxing, in any form, goes against the philosophy of those who own the server. Period.

Don't like it? Take a hike.

Umm, actually not a single legit reason was provided by a single person, despite umpteen vapid snark posts of nothing relevant.

Baler
06-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Umm, actually not a single legit reason was provided by a single person, despite umpteen vapid snark posts of nothing relevant.

http://imgur.com/YpXoYVm.gif

MammothMafia
06-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Valid Reason #079 not being able to be logged into EC 100% of your playtime actually creates gaps with buyers and sellers creating an economy where people stand to make a little bit of plat buying and selling items. Creating more jobs and pathways for Norath citizens to become functioning members of society.

Make Norath great again!

Pokesan
06-11-2016, 01:19 AM
http://imgur.com/YpXoYVm.gif

love this gif get 'em rogdawg!

DMN
06-11-2016, 04:02 AM
Valid Reason #079 not being able to be logged into EC 100% of your playtime actually creates gaps with buyers and sellers creating an economy where people stand to make a little bit of plat buying and selling items. Creating more jobs and pathways for Norath citizens to become functioning members of society.

Make Norath great again!

You mean it makes it harder to sell stuff/buy and is unclassic.

Neither legit or good reasons. Double fail.

Vladesch
06-11-2016, 07:24 AM
The system as it stands isn't classic anyway because of the low numbers on the servers. Hence the difficulty with buying and selling. Hence the suggestion.
I solved buying my spells by looking at logs and searching for people who were selling the required spells over the last few days and sending tells to them. You could do the same thing to sell spells as well.
It's a pretty bizarre an un-classic way to solve the problem though and breaks the "classic" just as badly IMO.

What I think is more of an issue is having to drop items on the ground and relog, assuming you dont know anyone well enough to trust them with a transfer.
I find it a problem, because although I can make friends, I tend to play for a while and then drop out for 6 months or a year and come back. Each time I come to a server where I don't know anyone and am faced with this dropping items on the ground issue.

I know we had to drop stuff in classic too. Wasn't part of classic I enjoyed, or want to come back to.

Swish
06-11-2016, 07:29 AM
Any city has good/safe places to drop transfer items, it's as much of an issue as you want to make it.

There really isn't a reason you can't make friends on P99, there's good folks around everywhere. I got a GNOME of all races to help me transfer some singing steel boots the other day. I'd met him only once before in a CoM group - said he knew some others in my guild when we were smalltalking...that was good enough for me. He didn't run off with them :p

Tecmos Deception
06-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Wasn't part of classic I enjoyed, or want to come back to.

Then make your own server.

Personally I love drop transfers and I want them to stay, and I want coin drops to come back!

fadetree
06-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Guys, c'mon, it's over. DMN called us on it. He said that no good reasons have been put forward, and we are just going to have to deal with that. I don't know how we thought we could argue against this guy anyway, since he has the power to decide validity. It's like arguing with a thunderstorm, it just doesn't do any good. I, for one, apologize DMN.

I realize now that since you were irritated about not getting your spells, then it is perfectly reasonable to have a thirteen page argument about how the devs here should overturn a core commitment on a system that they developed and put lots of effort into and that you had nothing to do with besides enjoying. I realize now that 'boxing' and 'ONLY LEVEL 1 what don't you understand pmfg boxing' are TOTALLY different things, and in no way have any similarities. Yknow, in a way I'm glad we got called on our fail here, people. Maybe we can take this as an opportunity to learn the best way to respond to DMN. I'm thinking 'You are exactly correct, DMN, thank you.' is a good start, but maybe some of you have another idea or two.

Swish
06-11-2016, 07:58 AM
words.

One of the cornerstones of an old era game community like EQ is that it's social, people help each other and it's easy to make some pals and slay some orcs etc. That's why people come back here, to do that and experience that again.

When people want to basically play solo quest, never see or talk to anyone else and want features added that help them to stand apart from everyone else...that's what WoW is for. Go play that instead.

Join a guild OP for chrissakes... :rolleyes:

myriverse
06-11-2016, 10:02 AM
The system as it stands isn't classic anyway because of the low numbers on the servers. Hence the difficulty with buying and selling. Hence the suggestion.
I solved buying my spells by looking at logs and searching for people who were selling the required spells over the last few days and sending tells to them. You could do the same thing to sell spells as well.
It's a pretty bizarre an un-classic way to solve the problem though and breaks the "classic" just as badly IMO.

What I think is more of an issue is having to drop items on the ground and relog, assuming you dont know anyone well enough to trust them with a transfer.
I find it a problem, because although I can make friends, I tend to play for a while and then drop out for 6 months or a year and come back. Each time I come to a server where I don't know anyone and am faced with this dropping items on the ground issue.

I know we had to drop stuff in classic too. Wasn't part of classic I enjoyed, or want to come back to.
All of that sounds very "classic" to me. The population really isn't that low, either.

Worst part of dropping is getting back in time.

Ravager
06-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Guys, c'mon, it's over. DMN called us on it. He said that no good reasons have been put forward, and we are just going to have to deal with that. I don't know how we thought we could argue against this guy anyway, since he has the power to decide validity. It's like arguing with a thunderstorm, it just doesn't do any good. I, for one, apologize DMN.

I realize now that since you were irritated about not getting your spells, then it is perfectly reasonable to have a thirteen page argument about how the devs here should overturn a core commitment on a system that they developed and put lots of effort into and that you had nothing to do with besides enjoying. I realize now that 'boxing' and 'ONLY LEVEL 1 what don't you understand pmfg boxing' are TOTALLY different things, and in no way have any similarities. Yknow, in a way I'm glad we got called on our fail here, people. Maybe we can take this as an opportunity to learn the best way to respond to DMN. I'm thinking 'You are exactly correct, DMN, thank you.' is a good start, but maybe some of you have another idea or two.

You have embiggened us all with your cromulent humility.

RDawg816
06-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Worst part of dropping is getting back in time.
Which is why I just have friends and guildees I trust to do transfers. :)

Faddisaction
06-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Here's a question for you, op.

If you hate the ruleset so much on this server, why not play on another server whose rules you agree with instead of trying to bend the world to your will?

No boxing. Not even once.

Now this is something I totally agree with. DMN...if you don't like the way things run here then play on a server that agrees with your opinions all the time. Oh and good luck finding that server.

Nixtar
06-11-2016, 01:44 PM
"Rational" arguments does not fly. This is an attempt to make things as classic as can be. Having tons of level one mules in EC selling stuff is not classic in any shape or form. Leave/live with it.

MammothMafia
06-11-2016, 02:19 PM
You mean it makes it harder to sell stuff/buy and is unclassic.

Neither legit or good reasons. Double fail.

my god are you playing the same game as us? that is classic.... the game is hard. i remember running from quenos to EC at lvl 20 because i heard it was the place to buy and sell stuff. i died 2 times along the way, killed a few mobs for exp and it probably took me 2-3 rl days to actually accomplish this. this is as classic as it gets, deal with it. or play somewhere else.

Make Norath great again!

DMN
06-11-2016, 09:38 PM
"Rational" arguments does not fly. This is an attempt to make things as classic as can be. Having tons of level one mules in EC selling stuff is not classic in any shape or form. Leave/live with it.

By SoV, 70-80% of EC were boxrd mules, the rest beggars. Ain't no one got time to sit around EC with your thumb up your ass. It's really amazing what kind of ignorant BS is constantly spewed on this forum about "classic" EQ.

Thulack
06-11-2016, 09:40 PM
80% of EC was a boxed mule in 2002. It's rally amazing what kind of ignorant BS is constantly spewed on this forum about "classic" EQ.

I spent a majority of my time in EC from Kunark to Luclin in classic. No 80% of EC was not boxed mules.

DMN
06-11-2016, 09:53 PM
I spent a majority of my time in EC from Kunark to Luclin in classic. No 80% of EC was not boxed mules.

BS they weren't.

Pretty much all WTB/WTS spam would specifically be telling you to send tells to their main character they were playing instead of their EC mules. Onlu occasuionally punctuatd by a lowbie trying to sell some pelts/bone chps/CB quest items etc. You were probably dumb enough to think thy were just doing that for a buddy or something. Awww the innocence of youth.

Baler
06-11-2016, 10:23 PM
@DMN It seems like you just want to argue for the sake of arguing.
If your goal is to really change people's minds. I believe you're going at it in the wrong way.

Also stone walling people and just saying that what people say is dumb doesn't progress the discussion. P99 was and is built on facts found by the community. Just because you have an opinion does not necessarily make it a fact.
The Facts have been weighed on the subject of boxing many times by the community and staff. It always leans in favor of no boxing in the end.

fastboy21
06-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Those of us who have been around long enough know what the server was like before EC tunnel was used. In the earlier days of the server there was a server-wide channel. This was due to the relatively low population, so there was a need to facilitate buying/selling and LFG folks to find groups. The result was not using EC at all.

Was it better then? I don't think so. The opening up of EC tunnel was a MAJOR victory for the project's team moving towards their mission statement of recreating classic EQ.

Allowing lvl 1 boxed auction mules is a step backwards for p99. Go play with Kegz.

Ahldagor
06-11-2016, 10:26 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3KvNdPJ.jpg

Thulack
06-11-2016, 10:46 PM
BS they weren't.

Pretty much all WTB/WTS spam would specifically be telling you to send tells to their main character they were playing instead of their EC mules. Onlu occasuionally punctuatd by a lowbie trying to sell some pelts/bone chps/CB quest items etc. You were probably dumb enough to think thy were just doing that for a buddy or something. Awww the innocence of youth.

Even if 100% of EC tunnel was this way it doesnt matter. Dev's dont want it. Doesnt matter if it was classic or not. There are classic things nerfed on this server like Ivandyr's hoop. If Dev's feel it is against the spirit of the game it wont be allowed. You want to play in their sandbox? Well then you have to play by their rules.

Trollhide
06-12-2016, 06:10 AM
By SoV, 70-80% of EC were boxrd mules, the rest beggars.

It's really amazing what kind of ignorant BS is constantly spewed on this forum about "classic" EQ.
Normally I wouldn't support such a thing, but stop feeding the troll

Faddisaction
06-12-2016, 06:27 AM
@ Trollhide lol

@DMN you know, my wife and I are attempting to get an IP Exemption so we can play together. We actually met on Everquest back in 2003. We both would love to play together again but we are patient. You are just ranting here like a spoiled child that cannot get their way. As it has been said by many people here already,...if you don't like the rules of the game and the way things are run by the devs then find a different server and stop complaining. Or are you really that much of a drama queen?

jcbbjjttt
06-12-2016, 09:45 AM
80% of EC was a boxed mule in 2002. It's rally amazing what kind of ignorant BS is constantly spewed on this forum about "classic" EQ.

Source?

RDawg816
06-12-2016, 10:12 AM
DMN is all-knowing. He is the source.

jcbbjjttt
06-12-2016, 10:13 AM
DMN is all-knowing. He is the source.

Source?

DMN
06-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC9AUR-iTo0

jcbbjjttt
06-12-2016, 11:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC9AUR-iTo0

I have watched this video in its entirety three times now and do not believe is relevant to the conversation at hand. Please correct me if I am wrong. But do be specific. So far, you have provided no valid arguments from your position.

Izmael
06-12-2016, 11:27 AM
DMN probably wasn't born in 2002.

myriverse
06-12-2016, 02:59 PM
2002 ain't classic, nohow.

Faddisaction
06-12-2016, 03:28 PM
No doubt. 2002 wasn't classic EQ. A huge hint of when it was though...is the name of this Server. Maybe he should learn to read. I mean it is Project 1999 not Project 2002.

fastboy21
06-12-2016, 09:20 PM
No doubt. 2002 wasn't classic EQ. A huge hint of when it was though...is the name of this Server. Maybe he should learn to read. I mean it is Project 1999 not Project 2002.

Ziiiiiing!:eek::eek:

AgentEpilot
06-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Gnomaldtrump, an authority on all matters at the very high level of 15 says no this would ruin the server. Let's try to make Norrath great again and flush out these terrible ideas!

Make Ak'Anon Great Again!

Izmael
06-13-2016, 04:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XjrSGAN.jpg

jcbbjjttt
06-13-2016, 11:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XjrSGAN.jpg

Source?

Drayc
06-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Jesus just sit with this open in a browser and check it every once in awhile.... the link has been at the top of these forums for I don't know how long.. http://www.p99auctions.com/live

DMN
06-13-2016, 01:48 PM

'99 was no kunark or velious, genius.

I wasn't the guy who picked out what would or not be "classic", sorry.

Faddisaction
06-13-2016, 02:33 PM
'99 was no kunark or velious, genius.

I wasn't the guy who picked out what would or not be "classic", sorry.

Firstly thanks for realizing my intellect is higher than yours. Honestly it is simple common sense. I know you aren't the one who decides what is and what isn't "classic" for obvious reasons. You are the one that has been ranting that "classic" EQ was 2002 EQ...I was simply stating that classic EQ was when Verant still had the rights to the game. You keep arguing that you want "classic" EQ to be like 2002 EQ....I am simply stating that "classic" EQ was in 1999 not 2002. Just remember this is Project 1999 not Project 2002.

Have a nice day DMN and you should really give it a rest.

DMN
06-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Firstly thanks for realizing my intellect is higher than yours. Honestly it is simple common sense. I know you aren't the one who decides what is and what isn't "classic" for obvious reasons. You are the one that has been ranting that "classic" EQ was 2002 EQ...I was simply stating that classic EQ was when Verant still had the rights to the game. You keep arguing that you want "classic" EQ to be like 2002 EQ....I am simply stating that "classic" EQ was in 1999 not 2002. Just remember this is Project 1999 not Project 2002.

Have a nice day DMN and you should really give it a rest.

You might be marginally more intelligent than some of my toe fungus or intestinal bacteria; It's a debate that would need a whole new thread, though. This server calls itself classic, and is patched up to about 2002, not 1999. If you have a problem with 2002 not being classic, you are taking it up with the wrong guy.

Faddisaction
06-13-2016, 02:51 PM
I am not the one that has the problem sir. You are. Again..have a good day.

DMN
06-13-2016, 02:54 PM
I am not the one that has the problem sir. You are. Again..have a good day.

You certainly have problem as far as articulating a cogent point that isn't completely stupid and/or completely detached from the reality of this server.

Faddisaction
06-13-2016, 03:03 PM
I refuse to get into a pissing match with you sir. That is not what this is about. It is about you acting like a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum because you cannot get what you want. Your ridicule and disdain is simply a display of your inability to react properly and like an adult. I will have some of my religious friends pray for you good sir.

I do understand your dilemma but I don't understand why you refuse to let it go. You are getting into a gun fight unarmed. Anyways I do hope you find your peace of mind somehow and someway. Have a good day.