PDA

View Full Version : Did FD work like this on live?

DMN
06-13-2016, 02:32 PM
1. Slummin' around some level 40ish area, Pet pulls a train of enemies you don't want to waste mana to deal with.
2. run to a safe spot and FD
3. Pet is still about half life
4. do /q to ensure aggro wipe
5. log back in after an excessively long "you have a character already logged in".
6. Notice tons of corpses, but more importantly you are NOT even close to where you FD at, are at half health instead of 90% and at 0% mana instead of about 75%.

Obviously the game decided to make my link dead character stand up and fight with my pet for some strange reason( no I did not fail my FD either). This is certainly not the behavior I remember from the game in in this period of time.

Colgate
06-13-2016, 02:34 PM
get rid of your pet next time and it won't make you fight mobs while linkdead

Sorn
06-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Understandably, the angry hordes after your blood realized you were faking since your pet was still up and fighting them.

myriverse
06-13-2016, 03:15 PM
This is how linkdeath worked on live. We used to have fun laughing as friends continued fighting for minutes after linkdead. 'Course, we'd try to help them... sometimes. veg

DMN
06-13-2016, 03:21 PM
This is how linkdeath worked on live. We used to have fun laughing as friends continued fighting for minutes after linkdead. 'Course, we'd try to help them... sometimes. veg

That's nonsnese. I had a mage and I was always 100% happy to know when I crashed/lagged out after sending in the pet after an enemy and I had not cast any offensive spells, that I was 100% assured to not get attacked or start fighting while LD.

Colgate
06-13-2016, 03:27 PM
why would you ask a question and then immediately correct someone who responds

Dinbin
06-13-2016, 03:28 PM
This is how linkdeath worked on live. We used to have fun laughing as friends continued fighting for minutes after linkdead. 'Course, we'd try to help them... sometimes. vegThat's consistent with what I remember. If you disconnected in combat you didn't just stand there, you fought on (with mixed success) and could even "flee" (like an NPC) when you got low on health. It was definitely possible to move (either to melee while disconnected, or flee) until the connection finally gave up.

DMN
06-13-2016, 03:33 PM
why would you ask a question and then immediately correct someone who responds

Because I would have recalled something as profoundly stupid as that. They are confusing when YOU aggro a mob with an attack/spell/face aggro and THEN go link dead. Not standing up from being FD while having never personally aggroed anything.

Crawdad
06-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Because I would have recalled something as profoundly stupid as that. They are confusing when YOU aggro a mob with an attack/spell/face aggro and THEN go link dead. Not standing up from being FD while having never personally aggroed anything.

Why is anybody wasting time on this guy? His entire schtick is asking questions about <X> classic 'feature' and then deriding people who answer him.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244749
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245449
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244428
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245382

etc etc etc.

DMN
06-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Why is anybody wasting time on this guy? His entire schtick is asking questions about <X> classic 'feature' and then deriding people who answer him.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244749
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245449
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244428
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245382

etc etc etc.

None of those are even remotely related to what you stated. Does my superior intellect really upset your pasty basement dwelling existence that much?

Haynar
06-13-2016, 04:04 PM
i remember how FD and using /q worked on live.

Apparently the OP does not.

DMN
06-13-2016, 04:13 PM

Strange all the times in early EQ when entire raid groups would /q out of the game because something bad happened in getting to nagafen/vox/various tims in POF and no one was ever harmed or targetted once they gained the LD "tag/flag" .

Must have been a several year dream I was having. Surely.

Rararboker
He doesn't remember anything. I think he is doing it on purpose to troll people.

Colgate

when your pet aggros something you are added to its hatelist also

like i said, /pet go away next time you want to feign death and /q out of the game

DMN
06-13-2016, 04:17 PM
when your pet aggros something you are added to its hatelist also

like i said, /pet go away next time you want to feign death and /q out of the game

But it didn't work like that. If your pet died after you got the LD flag/tag the mob would leave you alone.You wr essentially replaced by an NPC of your level that would not "inherit pet aggro".

Colgate
06-13-2016, 04:19 PM
cool theory you should make a bug report about it with evidence supporting your claim

DMN
06-13-2016, 04:22 PM
cool theory you should make a bug report about it with evidence supporting your claim

Well, I dunno. They might have changed things towards the end of kunark/velious as it relates to the LD "flag".

My guild figure everything out by then and never had to resort to that shit any more by mid kunark.

Colgate
06-13-2016, 04:26 PM
so you don't actually know but you're going to berate the majority that disagrees you

huh

weird

Haynar
06-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Strange all the times in early EQ when entire raid groups would /q out of the game because something bad happened in getting to nagafen/vox/various tims in POF and no one was ever harmed or targetted once they gained the LD "tag/flag" .

Must have been a several year dream I was having. Surely.

Raids did not /q out and survive. Don't be daft. They camped a cleric if things were going bad. If there was not a camped cleric or necro FD in the corner (not /q) it was a wipe.

I think you are a troll. Trying to incite arguements. Likely one that already has been banned. Based on ur tone, I am almost positive of that.

H

DMN
06-13-2016, 04:30 PM
so you don't actually know but you're going to berate the majority that disagrees you

huh

weird

I don't know if they changed it in late kunark/anytime in velious because I never used that shit then.

Really not that complicated, man.

Tecmos Deception
06-13-2016, 04:38 PM
my superior intellect

Your superior intellect thinks CoS is a bad item.

You're fucking bad and you should feel bad and let's go to RNF.

Thulack
06-13-2016, 04:44 PM

The OP doesnt remember a lot of things correctly. Just look at the threads he makes.

Llandris
06-13-2016, 04:52 PM
One of our developers here is telling you that you are wrong, and yet you still argue. If you have sufficient evidence that FD is not working like it did back during our current era (~ mid 2001), post a bug thread.

Crawdad
06-13-2016, 04:54 PM
None of those are even remotely related to what you stated. Does my superior intellect really upset your pasty basement dwelling existence that much?

A lot of people come here (and other sections of these forums) looking for help and answers. We have quite a few folks who don't even play p99 anymore but like to help out with good/accurate information.

You come here to ask questions and then tell everyone they're wrong-- you can find it in every link I quoted. I honestly haven't seen you give honest advice or basically not be a douche. You're a waste of space.

jcbbjjttt
06-13-2016, 05:24 PM
That's nonsnese. I had a mage and I was always 100% happy to know when I crashed/lagged out after sending in the pet after an enemy and I had not cast any offensive spells, that I was 100% assured to not get attacked or start fighting while LD.

Source?

nicemace
06-13-2016, 05:31 PM
the LD 'flag' /never/ prevented combat/agro. fact.

polishanarchy
06-13-2016, 06:40 PM
This guy's going for gold huh

Kieu
06-13-2016, 06:45 PM

Definitely is how it worked on live, I recall it pretty clearly. And fding with a pet up = you're still on aggro.. Just like it was in live.

Why do you always post stuff with questions and immediately tell everyone they're wrong when you're wrong?

Literally every post you make is some profoundly dumb question about how something was when it never was. Then people try to be nice and explain it, and you berate them like some know-it-all.

I can imagine in IRL you think you have a 150 IQ when in all actuality its like 53.

Tasslehofp99
06-13-2016, 08:46 PM

lol'd, this.

DMN
06-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Like I said previously, things might have changed between "vanilla/kunark" and when this sever is based in. I know with 100% certainty in vanillawhen I lagged out (which happened a TON to everyone in early EQ) with my mage after only sending the pet, you nevr got aggro if you get the LD flag before the pet died. PEriod, end of story. That's what happened to me dozens if not hundreds of times before I hung my mage up and switched to a FD class because I was tired of dying on zone crashes in dungeons.

I was the main and sometimes second puller for my guild, and often used pet pulls in PoF back in the day. and I'm sure I would have noticed behavior such as this back then, too.

It was routinely abused by raiding guilds back in the day. Just the facts, man..

Izzni
06-13-2016, 10:57 PM
I know with 100% certainty in vanillawhen I lagged out (which happened a TON to everyone in early EQ) with my mage after only sending the pet, you nevr got aggro if you get the LD flag before the pet died.
Or your pet was able to tank it for 30 seconds without dying, or it beat on you, but not enough to kill before you poof'ed.

It was routinely abused by raiding guilds back in the day. Just the facts, man..
Well, now that you say this I know your lying. This server has some of the best raid guilds there ever were when it comes to exploiting things! If this was used by raid guilds to exploit things the current raiding guilds would have DEMANDED it be implemented long ago.

fastboy21
06-13-2016, 11:02 PM
One thing p99 has taught me over the years is that human memory is sketchy.

There have been a handful of things that I "could have sworn" I remembered from live...that just turned out to be wrong. Our memories have a way of playing tricks on us.

Be open to the possibility that what you "remember" is not always correct. At least, try not to call people names in the process.

Unclebulgaria
06-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Our memories have a way of playing tricks on us.

Be open to the possibility that what you "remember" is not always correct.

Yes, it's called reconsolidation. Surely with his intellect he already knows that though? :)

Daywolf
06-14-2016, 01:56 AM
my superior intellect...which should be telling you at this point that you could go and start your own server where you are always 100% right regardless if 100% of players telling you are 100% wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/3CyLlyU.jpg

Jimjam
06-14-2016, 03:36 AM
OP what does your username stand for?

I read it as "Demean".

syztem
06-14-2016, 04:44 AM
Tldr but have seen ppl using necro to farm lower level mobs they either open with a vexing or epic click then /q as they finish ph and it poofs log back in 27 min later basically full hp mana rinse repeat.

jcbbjjttt
06-14-2016, 06:28 AM
I know with 100% certainty in vanillawhen I lagged out (which happened a TON to everyone in early EQ) with my mage after only sending the pet, you nevr got aggro if you get the LD flag before the pet died. PEriod, end of story.

Source?

Vexenu
06-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Can someone just ban this guy already? It couldn't be any more obvious that he's a troll.

Trollhide
06-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Can someone just ban this guy already? It couldn't be any more obvious that he's a troll.

Jimjam
06-14-2016, 07:40 AM
So called "Trollhide", I am going to petition to have your name changed.

You claim by name to offer a service to hide trolls. I am yet to see you sig link ignore buttons for the forum's most prolific trolls. It is possible so please implement.

Trollhide
06-14-2016, 07:48 AM
sounds like someones jimjams are rustled

Jimjam
06-14-2016, 09:18 AM
sounds like someones jimjams are rustled

Always Flimflammed!

EQBallzz
06-14-2016, 10:17 AM
This guy again? I will give the OP credit..random annoying d-bag on the server is most certainly classic.

myriverse
06-14-2016, 10:20 AM
This is generally how my guild used to wipe on raids. And I assure you, sir, we were highly proficient at wiping.

JackFlash
06-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Your superior intellect thinks CoS is a bad item.

You're fucking bad and you should feel bad and let's go to RNF.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ket
06-14-2016, 12:00 PM
I think this guy is exactly what these forums needed.

Spyder73
06-14-2016, 12:49 PM
I think this guy is exactly what these forums needed.

Because he's the poster the Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian

Tingowingo
06-14-2016, 02:56 PM
OP is just desperate for attention, y'all. Let's all be his parents for a hot minute and nurture his attention-deficit life. I'll be daddy.

jcbbjjttt
06-14-2016, 03:15 PM
I'll be daddy.

I'll be second daddy.

Jimjam
06-14-2016, 03:24 PM
I'll be Uncle Badtouch.

Secrets
06-15-2016, 01:47 AM
Actually, he's partially right. Depending on the last movement packet sent by the client regarding specific combat states (autoattack, personal faction, etc) you would sometimes do nothing when you become an NPC. There is a small chance of you sitting there doing nothing, however, if your client's position has deltas for movement prediction at the time of your character going linkdead - and the position of your client goes into a wall. You are considered an NPC at that point and as there are no pathing nodes available, you simply stand there. As you're stuck in collision hell, the server will send your last known position to clients around you.

Your client will actually appear normal when you next log in, as your deltas put you in a wall and the server and client both will disagree with this location.

This was, for the longest time, something that actually happened up until the conversion from DX8 -> DX9 happened, at which point all client logic regarding position updates were rewritten, at which point collision was rewritten as well.

Regarding pets, if something conned 'scowls' to you, you would auto-send in the pet on it. If you had line of sight to it.

The best way to see the proper logic would've been on the now-defunct EQMac SOE server. Which, by the way, it happened as I described above.

Something to look up is also rpg-exploiters, Yantis' (IGE's founder) old website for patching exploits that got leaked out to the public on the Wayback Machine. You'll find exploits there like plugging out and plugging back in your cable modem or hitting the pause button on it that existed in many models years ago.

You could ghost through doors that were locked by holding forward and disconnecting your cable. When you logged back in, your client was in the wall on the other side of the door. This is because the EQ servers did not integrate collision for doors, only 'hardcoded' zone geometry objects. Movement prediction would put you into the next 'wall' you hit, so to speak.

So to answer the question - yes, if the zone had pathing, you'd turn into an NPC. Functionality existed on the server for this, as seen through EQPlayer inheritance chain in the EQMac client.

Secrets
06-15-2016, 01:51 AM
And another fun tidbit - you used to have 'infinite mana', and all your skills at that level at max... for an NPC. While you were linkdead. Which means your damage table was if an NPC was holding your weapon, and that also means you got skills like bash, kick, dual wield, double attack, etc, as if you were an NPC of that level.

Monk NPCs are arguably some of the strongest suckers in the game, and I had a friend that played a monk. A monk NPC-player quadding for 58 at level 15 with his fists was hilarious to see.

Grimjaw
06-15-2016, 02:52 PM
We shouldn't disregard or brush off someones claims of classic EverQuest based upon who the poster is. Even if they do come across as arrogant, egotistical, or just general trolling. We as a community should take these opportunities to double-check the facts, do further research, and at the very least try to understand where that person is coming from. We are all drawn here together for the same reason, to experience classic EverQuest. And if people feel like something doesn't meet their own definition of a classic experience that they expected then yes they should be starting discussions, seeking changes, etc. I don't care who or what changes are being proposed. If it's classic, then it's classic. Most of the replies in this thread completely skip over the fact that he's talking about only engaging with the pet and not his character. And with Secrets latest replies it is sounding possibly true.