PDA

View Full Version : P1999 on Netbooks

Trollhide
06-15-2016, 08:08 AM
So I've been checking out the HP Stream 11 and it looks like a decent little throwaway laptop for 150-200 bucks. Could be convenient for couch-based Everquesting.

Anyone have firsthand experience playing P99 on tiny laptops with shitty processors like N2840, N3050, Atoms? Basically anything cheaper than a core i3?

I'm not expecting greatness, just wanna know if this old-ass game and maybe like some 2-dollar Steam specials are playable.

edit for bonus question: What about installing Ubuntu, wine, and p99 on Chromebooks? Toshiba Chromebook 2 looks p legit

for reference, I had a ~$300 laptop from 2011 with an AMD E-350 APU, and it was satisfactory enough performance for me to dual-box (on live)

discordkitty
06-15-2016, 08:19 AM
As someone who works for HP, don't buy HP.

Thulack
06-15-2016, 08:26 AM
If you want a tiny Laptop look at this https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-11e-11-6-Inch-Ultrabook-Processor/dp/B017BX510W

Display isnt all that great but if your just playing EQ it will be fine. Everything else about it is great including the rugged build. I got it for 200 over black friday so it could drop down to that again this fall.

Daywolf
06-15-2016, 08:32 AM
HP mehness. Save and get a bargain bin asus ...not the chromebook.

Trollhide
06-15-2016, 08:59 AM
I'm aware of the relative case build quality between manufacturers, but that's not really what I'm asking. Specifically I want to know about performance on entry-level mobile chipsets, which don't really differ from one mfr to another.

JonyeGway
06-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Look on Newegg for refurbished laptops. I was able to get a 2nd gen i5 and a SSD for $200. Looks brand new too. If you search for Dell Latitude E6420 on Newegg there's tons of them.

Izmael
06-15-2016, 09:35 AM
As someone who works for HP, don't buy HP.

Can you please elaborate?

Would you say that for the HP servers as well?

Trollhide
06-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Look on Newegg for refurbished laptops. I was able to get a 2nd gen i5 and a SSD for $200. Looks brand new too.
I've got an Alienware M14x with an i5 and 650m. I just wanna play EQ on a tiny laptop, man,!

JonyeGway
06-15-2016, 09:43 AM
I've got an Alienware M14x with an i5 and 650m. I just wanna play EQ on a tiny laptop, man,!

In that case I would look for something with an Intel chipset. I repair computers on the side and see way too many AMD laptops with serious overheating issues.

Thulack
06-15-2016, 09:51 AM

Tiniest beast you will find https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-11e-11-6-Inch-Ultrabook-Processor/dp/B017BX510W

I mean unless you are deadset on not spending 50 extra dollars to get a quad core CPU and better graphics card then you would on a netbook.

Trollhide
06-15-2016, 10:20 AM
That Lenovo does look pretty baller, I would probably jump on it if another $200 deal came around. I'll keep an eye on Ebay. If I can't spend under 200, this EQ on a tiny laptop thing really isn't worth it to me.

Loke
06-15-2016, 10:23 AM
I had p99 running on a free netbook I got with another purchase back in like 2011, so I would imagine just about anything you get today should be able to run it fine. The netbook I had was a complete piece of garbage that I pretty much only used to take notes in class when I didn't want to bring my big laptop. It didn't run well, but it ran. You could probably even run it off a chrome book if you dealt with the whole OS thing (e.g. linux with wine maybe? Never played around with a chromebook though, so idk).

JackFlash
06-15-2016, 10:25 AM
You can play on a RCA tablet for 100$ at walmart with windows 10......

Thulack
06-15-2016, 11:00 AM
That Lenovo does look pretty baller, I would probably jump on it if another $200 deal came around. I'll keep an eye on Ebay. If I can't spend under 200, this EQ on a tiny laptop thing really isn't worth it to me.

Yeah i think its 250 on ebay right now with a 550gb HD instead of the SSD if you already had one to swap out. But yeah 200 was that magic number for me. Woot.com had it and it was on ebay around xmas. It just came out last year and was surprised it was on sale already. My son uses it everyday for youtubing and sometimes playing cheap steam games. It also plays plants vs zombies garden warfare for him. As i said everything is great about it but the display.

Kevris
06-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Can you please elaborate?

Would you say that for the HP servers as well?

I don't work for HP, but I am I do work in the industry in a capacity that requires I design, purchase and implement technology to suit the needs of my business.

If I'm buying a box that's going to run a service of any kind, I buy HP. (Physical DC, dumbass application from idiot vendor that doesn't support virtualization, etc)

If I'm buying something that's going to be a storage target for backups (I'm going to stick my backups on this box prior to replicating them off-site, I'm going to use this box as a Microsoft DPM target, etc) I'll get a SuperMicro solution.

If I'm buying a cluster, it's Cisco UCS all the way.

If I'm buying a SAN, it's Nimble every time.

I have a serious grudge with IBM's series after the X series debacles of the mid/late 2000's ....I had clients losing entire raid arrays because of shitty controllers.

That's not to say I haven't had some issues with HP boxes, but the issues with HP's boxes never caused major "OH MY FUCKING GOD ALL THE DATA IS GONE FROM THE DRIVES," it's more like "Oh, the secondary fans are broken, send me new fans HP."

Troxx
06-15-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm aware of the relative case build quality between manufacturers, but that's not really what I'm asking. Specifically I want to know about performance on entry-level mobile chipsets, which don't really differ from one mfr to another.

I have one (not my primary rig). It will run p99 with the graphics way down, clip pane low, and spell particles off. It will hiccup rarely, but not too badly. FPS drops a bit in crowded EC tunnel, but again not too badly.

It's playable.

Thugnuts
06-15-2016, 03:07 PM
I'm playing on an Acer Aspire One netbook. Atom 1.6ghz, Intel GMA 3150, 2gb of ram.

Textures/what not on low.

Shadows off.

Sky on simple or off, depending on zone.

Clip plane set to max.

Spell particles on low (just for me) or off, depending on situation.

Only place I have real video lag is in the tunnel when it's crowded. Otherwise, it works just fine. Aside from the tunnel, the game is very playable with the sky on complex, all spell particles on, etc. I keep them set down though to get max FPS.

Trollhide
06-15-2016, 04:03 PM
I have one (not my primary rig). It will run p99 with the graphics way down, clip pane low, and spell particles off. It will hiccup rarely, but not too badly. FPS drops a bit in crowded EC tunnel, but again not too badly.

It's playable.
What CPU you got?

Glasken
06-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Trollhide,
I have successfully run P1999 on an EEE 1000HA from 2008ish. It makes for a fairly classic experience, especially if you pair it with a cellular hotspot for Internet access.

Things to keep in mind: native resolution. You can scale the p99 window, but good luck reading the font. Edit the .ini settings to fit inside the netbooks native resolution. If you must use scaling, use the /font size option in-game. You may need to edit the .ini file prior to starting the game, I had black screen issues until I changed the resolution.

Trackpad: just don't. Get a mouse.

Game settings: shadows off, clipping plane in close, spell particles low, Sky off. FPS locked @30.

Glasken
06-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Also one persistent bug I have had in Linux with WINE (or in Windows running on a VM) is that the mouse look behaves oddly. Turning left and right isn't a problem, but looking up and down moves the camera in intervals of 45 degrees rather than smoothly scrolling. The result is a jittery effect that is hard to control even with the mouse look AND hardware sensitivity all the way down. This has occurred on every machine and with two different brand of mice. Havnt found a fix yet.

Tann
06-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Alienware

http://i.imgur.com/TnQRX6v.gif

Swish
06-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Have to agree on Alienware...so overpriced.

Alienware gaming laptops? lawd :(

Trollhide
06-16-2016, 07:10 AM
Oh I totally agree and I'd never pay retail for one, but I got it secondhand on Ebay in pristine condition. For the specs it has, it was priced almost identically to what I would have paid new for an HP or similar. Build quality is pretty solid.

For that matter, why do people ever purchase Apple products?

Baler
06-16-2016, 09:07 AM
don't buy HP.

I've gone through several different hp products and called support numerous times. Without going into long details I recommend avoiding HP products. :mad:

why do people ever purchase Apple products?
The only apple product I've ever bought was an ipod. About the only good thing they made imho.

Trollhide
06-16-2016, 11:45 AM
If you want a tiny Laptop look at this https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-11e-11-6-Inch-Ultrabook-Processor/dp/B017BX510W

Display isnt all that great but if your just playing EQ it will be fine. Everything else about it is great including the rugged build. I got it for 200 over black friday so it could drop down to that again this fall.
Looks like a couple 3rd party sellers on Amazon have the same model with a 500gb HDD for $200. Far as I can tell it should be no problem to take that out and swap in either the 128gb or 256gb 2.5" SSD I have sittin around, yeah?

Thulack
06-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Looks like a couple 3rd party sellers on Amazon have the same model with a 500gb HDD for $200. Far as I can tell it should be no problem to take that out and swap in either the 128gb or 256gb 2.5" SSD I have sittin around, yeah?

Yep. Thats what i did. Simple process.

Trollhide
06-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Yep. Thats what i did. Simple process.
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on this. Yours doesn't heat up too bad does it? I've been reading about some battery overheating with some Thinkpad models but as far as I can tell from Lenovo's site the 2015 model is not affected.

Thulack
06-16-2016, 12:05 PM
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on this. Yours doesn't heat up too bad does it? I've been reading about some battery overheating with some Thinkpad models but as far as I can tell from Lenovo's site the 2015 model is not affected.

Not that i have noticed. For the last 3 months its sat next to my sons TV and he uses it to watch youtube and play games as i said earlier. There havent been any issues. It gets warm to the touch but there havent been any overheating that i have seen when using open hardware monitor on it.

Trollhide
06-16-2016, 12:10 PM
Comes with a Windows product key sticker on it? Thanks for all the info btw

Thulack
06-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Comes with a Windows product key sticker on it? Thanks for all the info btw

There was no sticker on either of the 2 that i got. I have my own copy of windows that i use so that never bothered me. I'm sure there is a program you can use to get the key off the system to use it when you put new HD in. If it has windows 10 on it already(like 1 of the 2 i got) thats embedded in the Bios i believe so swapping out hard drives it should just install 10 on new one(i think thats how it works might want to double check on that).

Bummey
06-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Has anyone played this on a macbook air? I've got an "old" 11 inch 2012 model and it would be nice/terrible to play/waste time when I'm away from my desktop, or just being lazy on the couch.

maurilax
06-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Has anyone played this on a macbook air? I've got an "old" 11 inch 2012 model and it would be nice/terrible to play/waste time when I'm away from my desktop, or just being lazy on the couch.

yea there is a thread in tech discussion on playing on mac. mba works fine

Secrets
06-16-2016, 06:31 PM
I routinely use a Surface Pro 1 to play EQ. My buddy irl has a drawing tablet hybrid he plays other games on that is relatively small.

Bummey
06-16-2016, 08:27 PM
yea there is a thread in tech discussion on playing on mac. mba works fine

I didn't think to check there. Thanks.

Trollhide
06-18-2016, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the tip about this, grabbed one from Amazon for 199 with no sales tax.
Pretty much all the reviews I read about this say it's a rugged beast and it looks like pretty much the only notebook at this price point with upgradable hard drive, RAM, and running Windows instead of Chrome. It will be a lot easier to carry an 11.6" for school and I can dual boot Windows and Ubuntu on it.

Gonna sell the Alienware and the proceeds should be enough to cover this laptop and the RX 480 I'm gonna put in my desktop when they drop later this month.

Thulack
06-18-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the tip about this, grabbed one from Amazon for 199 with no sales tax.
Pretty much all the reviews I read about this say it's a rugged beast and it looks like pretty much the only notebook at this price point with upgradable hard drive, RAM, and running Windows instead of Chrome. It will be a lot easier to carry an 11.6" for school and I can dual boot Windows and Ubuntu on it.

Gonna sell the Alienware and the proceeds should be enough to cover this laptop and the RX 480 I'm gonna put in my desktop when they drop later this month.

Good luck man. Glad i could help.

Odann
06-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Shoulda got a Asus Transformer. Better integrated graphics and it can also be a tablet.

$140 FTW.

Thulack
06-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Shoulda got a Asus Transformer. Better integrated graphics and it can also be a tablet.

$140 FTW.

You mean its a tablet that can also be a crappy laptop. Comparing that to this laptop that has more RAM, more storage space, running windows and the ability to not break being dropped 2 feet off the ground is silly.

Trollhide
06-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Tablets are dumb and touchscreens are for phones :cool: And unless I'm mistaken after cursory Googling, those Transformers are running Android

Odann
06-18-2016, 09:00 AM
You mean its a tablet that can also be a crappy laptop. Comparing that to this laptop that has more RAM, more storage space, running windows and the ability to not break being dropped 2 feet off the ground is silly.

Dropped it several times. This is more like a laptop that could be a tablet if you wanted. I have never personally detached it to be a tablet because I prefer using a keyboard. And it runs windows, but you'd know that if you had a brian.

Tablets are dumb and touchscreens are for phones :cool: And unless I'm mistaken after cursory Googling, those Transformers are running Android

ROFL you are incredibly mistaken.

It runs on 32-bit Windows which is the reason it's 100% superior to the Surface. I went through this internal struggle over a year ago. Asus running stronk.

Thulack
06-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Dropped it several times. This is more like a laptop that could be a tablet if you wanted. I have never personally detached it to be a tablet because I prefer using a keyboard. And it runs windows, but you'd know that if you had a brian.

ROFL you are incredibly mistaken.

It runs on 32-bit Windows which is the reason it's 100% superior to the Surface. I went through this internal struggle over a year ago. Asus running stronk.

Says the guy that bought a 2 in 1 but never uses the tablet part. You would have been better off buying a straight laptop.

Odann
06-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Says the guy that bought a 2 in 1 but never uses the tablet part. You would have been better off buying a straight laptop.

Lol for what purpose? To spend more money for nothing? This does exactly what I need it to do at the lowest possible price-point.

It runs both EQ and WoW in flawless fashion. It's not like this is my main gaming device. If you're (general use of "you") using a laptop as your main gaming device then you need to re-evaluate all your life choices. That would be high levels of retardation.

Thulack
06-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Lol for what purpose? To spend more money for nothing? This does exactly what I need it to do at the lowest possible price-point.

It runs both EQ and WoW in flawless fashion. It's not like this is my main gaming device. If you're (general use of "you") using a laptop as your main gaming device then you need to re-evaluate all your life choices. That would be high levels of retardation.

How low you put the settings? Considering the Lenovo will play EQ on full settings. Yeah having a 200 dollar laptop as your main gaming rig would cause re-evalution. Good thing no one was talking about that here...I was talking about buying a 2 in 1 to use as a laptop only lol. 2gb of ram and a 32gb hd are a joke. I use a tablet like your transformer mounted to my nightstand to watch tv when i goto sleep.

Odann
06-18-2016, 09:28 AM
How low you put the settings? Considering the Lenovo will play EQ on full settings. Yeah having a 200 dollar laptop as your main gaming rig would cause re-evalution. Good thing no one was talking about that here...I was talking about buying a 2 in 1 to use as a laptop only lol. 2gb of ram and a 32gb hd are a joke. I use a tablet like your transformer mounted to my nightstand to watch tv when i goto sleep.

Yeah it's a joke if you're using it game for hours on end. When you use it game for a little bit here and there @ work then it's just overkill to have anything higher.

And my settings are on high. Not sure what your experience is with devices like these but they are assuredly not as under-powered as you seem to think. But, hey, if you want to spend more on laptop then by all means, go for it. Not my money lmao.

Thulack
06-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Yeah it's a joke if you're using it game for hours on end. When you use it game for a little bit here and there @ work then it's just overkill to have anything higher.

And my settings are on high. Not sure what your experience is with devices like these but they are assuredly not as under-powered as you seem to think. But, hey, if you want to spend more on laptop then by all means, go for it. Not my money lmao.

Correct. Each person spends there money on different things. Spending less on a inferior product doesnt always make sense though. I didnt buy the laptop to sit and check my mail or surf the web(i can do that on my phone). I bought it to play games when i travel and have for my son to use when he needs it. Spending 200+(i upgraded it to 8gb ram and a 256GB SSD) is well worth it compared to a tablet that i can upgrade. So total spent maybe 300 on the laptop(which probably has better specs then 50% of the desktops people in this community have) compared to your tablet for 140 but i can do 20x the things on my laptop that you can do on the tablet is worth it.

Odann
06-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Correct. Each person spends there money on different things. Spending less on a inferior product doesnt always make sense though. I didnt buy the laptop to sit and check my mail or surf the web(i can do that on my phone). I bought it to play games when i travel and have for my son to use when he needs it. Spending 200+(i upgraded it to 8gb ram and a 256GB SSD) is well worth it compared to a tablet that i can upgrade. So total spent maybe 300 on the laptop(which probably has better specs then 50% of the desktops people in this community have) compared to your tablet for 140 but i can do 20x the things on my laptop that you can do on the tablet.

Should have stuck with the first sentence before your edit.

You're missing my entire point. I use it as a device purely for playing EQ and WoW. Nothing more. It would be wasting money buying what you have. These are not intensive games. I'm not sitting here trying to play Overwatch on my 4k TV with the best possible graphics. I have a home setup for all of that.

It appears you use your device differently and I hope you enjoy your 20+ (LOL'd heartily) other activities you can apparently achieve with moderately higher specs.

Thulack
06-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Should have stuck with the first sentence before your edit.

You're missing my entire point. I use it as a device purely for playing EQ and WoW. Nothing more. It would be wasting money buying what you have. These are not intensive games. I'm not sitting here trying to play Overwatch on my 4k TV with the best possible graphics. I have a home setup for all of that.

It appears you use your device differently and I hope you enjoy your 20+ (LOL'd heartily) other activities you can apparently achieve with moderately higher specs.

I mean i could name 20 games on my steam account that i could play on the laptop compared to the transformer. Also yes thats fine you only use it for WoW and EQ. I was about to ask if thats all you ever expect to play for the life of that tablet then i realized that if thats all you play its probably all you are ever going to play so the answer would be yes. Youre right. I'm wrong. OP if all you ever want to do is play EQ then get the transformer.

Odann
06-18-2016, 09:57 AM
I mean i could name 20 games on my steam account that i could play on the laptop compared to the transformer. Also yes thats fine you only use it for WoW and EQ. I was about to ask if thats all you ever expect to play for the life of that tablet then i realized that if thats all you play its probably all you are ever going to play so the answer would be yes. Youre right. I'm wrong. OP if all you ever want to do is play EQ then get the transformer.

Yeah I think we're just doing different things on our mobile devices. I wanted bang for buck and it sounds like you wanted the best performance possible for your buck. Similar but slightly different.

If I wanted to play my Steam games, I probably would have bought an Nvidia laptop or something. MMO's are easier to play at work than an FPS. :P

Thulack
06-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Yeah I think we're just doing different things on our mobile devices. I wanted bang for buck and it sounds like you wanted the best performance possible for your buck. Similar but slightly different.

If I wanted to play my Steam games, I probably would have bought an Nvidia laptop or something. MMO's are easier to play at work than an FPS. :P

bang=performance..just saying but yes we wanted 2 different things. I wanted something i could play my full array of games on(still a few games in my collection i cant play on laptop but i'm fine with that as i can live without those games the 3-4 weeks out of the year i actually use the laptop) and be strong enough to withstand a 9 year olds abuse(he uses daily). You just wanted something to play WoW and EQ on. OP wants something to couch play and use as general purpose i would presume so the drivel between us is pointless :P

Trollhide
06-18-2016, 10:22 AM

$140 FTW.
Cheapest one I found on Amazon is $145 for a REFURB (https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100TAF-B11-GR-Detachable-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00UTV8OEE/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1466258715&sr=1-16&keywords=asus+transformer#productDetails), you were right about Windows (32-bit, gross). However the GPU (as well as the rest of the hardware) was not superior to the Radeon R3 GPU in the Lenovo as you claim.

Atom Z3735F, 1.33ghz / 1.83ghz turbo
1gb 1333 RAM
32gb eMMC drive - slower than true SSD
non-upgradable

vs.

A4-6210 1.8ghz quad core
4gb 1600 RAM (replacing with 8gb 1600 RAM for $25)
500gb HDD (replacing with 256gb Samsung Pro 840 SSD I have already)

The stock hardware is inarguably inferior in the ASUS. That's cool that it works well for you, but I'm looking to slightly upgrade beyond baseline specs which the Transformer doesn't support. Also want to use it for school, travel, movies & shit beyond just EQ, and I'm a purist and hate gimmicky shit like touchscreens and removable displays. I can only imagine how fragile-feeling a detachable display like that makes the laptop.

Thinkpad was the right call for me. God bless.

Odann
06-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Cheapest one I found on Amazon is $145 for a REFURB (https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100TAF-B11-GR-Detachable-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00UTV8OEE/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1466258715&sr=1-16&keywords=asus+transformer#productDetails), you were right about Windows (32-bit, gross). However the GPU (as well as the rest of the hardware) was not superior to the Radeon R3 GPU in the Lenovo as you claim.

Atom Z3735F, 1.33ghz / 1.83ghz turbo
1gb 1333 RAM
32gb eMMC drive - slower than true SSD
non-upgradable

vs.

A4-6210 1.8ghz quad core
4gb 1600 RAM (replacing with 8gb 1600 RAM for $25)
500gb HDD (replacing with 256gb Samsung Pro 840 SSD I have already)

The stock hardware is inarguably inferior in the ASUS. That's cool that it works well for you, but I'm looking to slightly upgrade beyond baseline specs which the Transformer doesn't support. Also want to use it for school, travel, movies & shit beyond just EQ, and I'm a purist and hate gimmicky shit like touchscreens and removable displays. I can only imagine how fragile-feeling a detachable display like that makes the laptop.

Thinkpad was the right call for me. God bless.

That's a whole ton of neat research for the wrong topic, rofl. Gotta use those reading skills better my friend.

First, I never compared those two or said the Asus was superior to that device. I said it was superior to the Surface (which does not even run on 32-bit) which remains true while also costing less money. This was in response to other people suggesting you get a Surface, yuck.

Second, if you go refurb you could do gainsaver.com (great site btw) for a way cheaper price than Amazon. Just a helpful hint for tech friends.

Lastly, the transformer is quite durable. I have never felt like it was fragile feeling and I have had it for almost a year. You're certainly entitled to that opinion, though. The tablet feature is a just gravy on top of being THE cheapest 32-bit "laptop" that can run low end MMO's. Again, I'm not trying to power through 8 hours of game-play or write a thesis on this thing.

Trollhide
06-18-2016, 11:10 AM
1 person in the thread mentioned a Surface Pro. 4 posts later without quoting that guy or referencing a Surface Pro in any way you say "Shoulda got a Asus Transformer". In the interim I posted that I ordered the Thinkpad.

Your response then was pretty ambiguous, perhaps it's your posting skills that need to be refined my friend. My ton of neat research took about 30 seconds on Amazon ;)

Odann
06-18-2016, 11:24 AM
1 person in the thread mentioned a Surface Pro. 4 posts later without quoting that guy or referencing a Surface Pro in any way you say "Shoulda got a Asus Transformer". In the interim I posted that I ordered the Thinkpad.

Your response then was pretty ambiguous, perhaps it's your posting skills that need to be refined my friend. My ton of neat research took about 30 seconds on Amazon ;)

It was a cheeky comment that apparently rustled a few of you. My apologies for not reading every post in the threads entirety.

Everything I said still stands.

Secrets
07-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Bump. I've got EverQuest (TAKP & P99) working on a $99 tablet. Not well, but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT6Rpm1WTHg