PDA

View Full Version : Running EQ off a flash drive(USB)

Yellow
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey i know i can google this but there seems to be no straight answer...

What im wondering is how do i run everquest or any program ( but lets just use Eq) off of a flash drive with out having to install it or anything on a computer? i would love to know how to do this so i can play while im at class or at a friends house who doesnt want me to download anything :)))
any advice or actual answer would be thankful including you goobles because i know you willread this and you know i love you ( damn trolls xD)

vageta31
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
You don't have to actually "install" EQ to run it, I don't think the registry keys created are essential. I copied my entire EQ directory to a flash drive, brought it to another house and put it into a directory and it ran perfect. I'd think that you could run it directly off of a flash drive in theory, but speed may be a factor.

Yellow
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Well the computers im trying to run this off of do not allow things to be installed but i can opn a flash drive so i want to run it off a flash drive

Yoite
01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
eq doesn't have to be "installed" you can just copy the files and run the game.

Myth
01-29-2010, 08:10 PM
There is no reason why this wouldn't work. Just be sure you run the video options before starting the game so EQ picks up your friends video card. USB 2.0 is something like 480 Mbps. So it will be slower than an internal hard disk. Your load times during zones will take a little longer.

You won't harm anything by trying it. Let us know if you run into any problems

Falisaty
01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Ok as I am currently using this way to play from work this is how I do it:

1. Copy your EQ folder from hard drive and past it into the Flash drive.

2. Create a shortcut to the eqgame.exe and past it back into the flash drive and modify accordingly to add the "patchme".

3. Start the game as normal ... it will load as it should, and run the setup features to adjust the screen and other settings to work for the computer you are trying to run it on.

4. Run game.. as you see is should start and look exactly the same as if you were running it from your home/main computer UI and everything should be exactly the same.

5. Enjoy your addiction. =]

Jinkeybhoy
02-03-2010, 11:01 PM

2. Create a shortcut to the eqgame.exe and past it back into the flash drive and modify accordingly to add the "patchme".

3. Start the game as normal ... it will load as it should, and run the setup features to adjust the screen and other settings to work for the computer you are trying to run it on.

4. Run game.. as you see is should start and look exactly the same as if you were running it from your home/main computer UI and everything should be exactly the same.

I run EQ off a flashdrive and works fine. It's a little slower than running it direct from the computer but its really not a factor at all. The only trickey part is probably re-pathing it to the eq folder on the flashdrive. Just follow what Falisaty said and you'll be fine.

teekanc
03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Woooo just got my EQ on my flash drive, let the fun abroad begin!

Eldaran
03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm seriously thinking about doing this on my lunchbreaks at work

acemac
05-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Where do I add "patchme" I am a little confused then do I use the eqgame.exe to run the game or do I use everquest.exe?

EchoedTruth
05-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Is a flash drive faster than a regular HDD (since it is flash memory, not plates)?

Thulack
05-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Some flash drives would probably be quicker. Like if you got a usb 3.0 flash drive and had a usb3.0 plug on computer. Also the only thing that i would see stopping this is the directx9.0c patch if the computer doesnt already have it. Also for other apps http://portableapps.com/ is a good site to start.

waldo
05-29-2013, 10:43 AM
You can copy the shortcut from your desktop and save it to the flashdrive, it should have the "patchme" in it already if you play from your desktop.

Nitholias01
05-29-2013, 11:16 AM

http://evilengineering.com/gallery/d/38658-1/mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Thanks, now I'll never get any shit done... but at least my monk will be bad ass :)