PDA

View Full Version : Discord Chat Client - Server Wide LFG

Napp
06-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Something I've been thinking about for a while is how nice it would be to be able to form up groups without having to just run to a zone and hope there's room for you. Yes we have the ability to turn on /lfg but that requires you to sit afk on that character with your fingers crossed. So what I'm going to do is try to set up a discord server and I'll keep the community updated on here with its popularity. There could be better solutions out there and while I'm sure there are some who aren't into this kind of thing, I still think that it is worth a shot.

- = Info = -
Discord Download: https://discordapp.com/
p99 Server Invite Link: https://discord.gg/w4w25pb

Downloading is only necessary if you wish to speak in discord, simply clicking the server invite link will allow you access to text channels and to listen to voice chat via your web browser.

Napp
06-30-2016, 09:15 PM
About 5 people signed up so far, hope to get a bunch more during US prime time.

Question to the community; should we just have 1 LFG channel or should we split it up by level?

Also I want to stress that while yes Discord does have voice capability I think the primary use of our server would be the text chat. Yes IRC would work for this too but Discord is a little more accessible for the average user. Also the P99 IRC has never had a very active community.

Napp
07-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Server is growing, up to 20 members, obviously we're going to need a lot more for it to be an effective group recruiting tool but it is cool to see so many so quickly.

If anyone has any suggestions please post, especially good ways to get the word out!

Redi
07-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Ya airhorn 2 spice it up

Napp
07-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Haha I think I'm going to stay away from anything that could be used to bug people just chillin on the server. I already turned off all alerts.

Dulu
07-02-2016, 06:58 AM
Great idea putting this together m8, lots of good people on here.

Made a small leveling group on red -- very excited to make more use of this channel !

Phenyo
07-02-2016, 07:21 AM
green_grocer - Today at 4:49 AM
www.p2002.com for a real fresh start

Nope

Napp
07-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Great idea putting this together m8, lots of good people on here.

Made a small leveling group on red -- very excited to make more use of this channel !

Glad to hear this is working for people already. Users really exploded overnight thanks to the xp bonus. Let's keep it rolling!

Tupakk
07-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Definitely a great idea. I will post this to Dial a Port Forums and tell my members to talk about it to people when porting.

Napp
07-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Definitely a great idea. I will post this to Dial a Port Forums and tell my members to talk about it to people when porting.

oh nice, great idea!

Tupakk
07-02-2016, 08:56 PM
oh nice, great idea!

Np, hopefully the trolls will get bored and leave and it will become a great thing.

Napp
07-03-2016, 03:12 AM
As our population increases I'll promote some mods that can kick/ban spammers and warn people not to idly chat in the LFG channel. I'm not too worried about this currently though.

Redi
07-03-2016, 03:29 AM
great thx

Napp
07-04-2016, 02:06 AM
nearly up to 100 users, lets keep it growing!

Sorn
07-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Oh boy, another place to advertise DoF events

I mean

sad 58 druid LFG anywhere :(

Brontus
07-05-2016, 01:19 AM
This is a great idea! Often I would love to know who's LFG and what groups are LFM in various zones.

Having a feature like this would make P1999 a far better experience. I'm going to sign up right now! :)

What web address do we give users who are interested in this service who are online on P1999?

I need an easy way to advertise this.

Also, it may be good to reach out to the owners of P99Auctions.com to get them to advertise for you.

Baler
07-05-2016, 04:02 AM
inb4 someone says,. "staff should sticky this"
*facepalm*
The number of lfg sites/services that have been for p99 is ridiculous. Few weeks and people will lose interest.
gl hf

The best lfg tool is /w <class> <min level> <max level>
/tell person 1, /tell person 2, etc

mrquincy
07-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Good idea! Seems like what I hoped #project99 would be. I'll join tonight.

Poll: Should I start a toon named "tryp99irc" and die 4 billion times in Freeport?

Napp
07-07-2016, 03:30 AM
@brotus i know, i wish there was a better way to advertize this, best i can think of is tell people to search the forms for discord lfg for more info. who would be good to contact over at the p99auctions site? their set up is so cool!

@baler i know this isn't for everyone, but i think what we've accomplished so far is pretty cool and it can only get better

Syncmasterpen
07-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Hi I am new this good to get groups?

Napp
07-07-2016, 08:42 PM
up to 120 members! slowly but surely we keep growing

Tupakk
07-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Bump cause it's the right thing to do.

Pita
07-08-2016, 03:49 PM
I created the Project LFG application awhile back. People were using it at one point and then it kinda fell off the radar. I have updates to the application that are in progress and I am working on the mobile application as well. For those that may have not seen it before or have forgotten about it check it out...

http://www.projectlfg.com

Tupakk
07-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I created the Project LFG application awhile back. People were using it at one point and then it kinda fell off the radar. I have updates to the application that are in progress and I am working on the mobile application as well. For those that may have not seen it before or have forgotten about it check it out...

It felt kind of clunky that's why I stopped using it. Maybe it will bounce back.

Brontus
07-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Other then the "shits not classic(tm)" rationale, is there a reason we just can't have a server wide LFG channel directly on blue?

Classic EverQuest is a grouping MMO. There is no denying that. We should be doing all we can to promote grouping.

Personally, I am sick of having to log on to characters that have solo ability. Why? Because it's hard to find groups due to my schedule and due to the attitude of certain players who don't want to group or invite others because they are being power-leveled.

I came to P1999 to group -- not to solo. If I want to solo I would play on live.

Redi
07-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Great discord channel. It's growing fast.

feanan
07-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Agreed. Specially since most of the /who commands never work

Other then the "shits not classic(tm)" rationale, is there a reason we just can't have a server wide LFG channel directly on blue?

Classic EverQuest is a grouping MMO. There is no denying that. We should be doing all we can to promote grouping.

Personally, I am sick of having to log on to characters that have solo ability. Why? Because it's hard to find groups due to my schedule and due to the attitude of certain players who don't want to group or invite others because they are being power-leveled.

I came to P1999 to group -- not to solo. If I want to solo I would play on live.

QFuzzle
07-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Question/Suggestion: Can we have LFM section? You know, for groups who are LFM.

Napp
07-09-2016, 03:05 AM

Yeah someone brought this to my attention, it is really cool but I think a chat channel is more important. Maybe I have 2 characters I want to play, maybe a player wants to do a specific camp or make a plan to be online 2 hours from now. The discord client lets us be pretty flexible and creative when forming up.

This is really the goal of the discord server, to be this chat channel and let people organize outside of the client. Since you can access it via your browser, it is so easy for anyone to take advantage of this. Just make an account and bookmark: https://discordapp.com/channels/@me

Question/Suggestion: Can we have LFM section? You know, for groups who are LFM.

Broadcast LFM in the lfg channels, that's what they're for. People already do this quite a bit.

Napp
07-09-2016, 03:07 AM
Does anyone know why I'm unable to edit my OP? I'd really like to update some of the info and explain how easy it is to use the discord server in your web browser.

Also, up to 130 members!

Bummey
07-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know why I'm unable to edit my OP? I'd really like to update some of the info and explain how easy it is to use the discord server in your web browser.

Also, up to 130 members!

For some raisin they've set this board to remove the edit feature after, like, 30 minutes from time of post. It's dumb.

Napp
07-10-2016, 04:27 PM
That's too bad : /

Napp
07-20-2016, 01:40 AM
Thanks for keeping the thread bupmped Riv, here's the perma invite link and a brief update on the server.

Invite link: https://discordapp.com/invite/w4w25pb

Update: 7/20 The server has grown quite a bit, over 200 members registered and we typically have 60-70 online at peak hours. I think that's a pretty good turnout for about 3 weeks. Keep on spreading the word and growing the channel, I'm hoping we get up to around 100 users online at all times and closer to 150 at peak hours. Remember the 3 big selling points! 1) No download require, log in and chat from your web browser 2) Easier to organize groups for areas that are not typically camped 3) You can organize groups without needing to be logged into specific characters or on p99 at all!

If anyone was wondering; I was away for the past week or so working some extra hours then going on a 5 day camping trip. Thanks to the mods for holding down the ship while I was away, still looking for a few more active members to serve as mods.

Loke
07-20-2016, 09:15 AM
It'd be nice if we could just use /who all ## ## lfg. For a server that banned 2 boxing to encourage grouping and community building, we've sure been without a major tool that enables both for quite awhile. It definitely used to work.

Brontus
07-20-2016, 03:31 PM
It'd be nice if we could just use /who all ## ## lfg. For a server that banned 2 boxing to encourage grouping and community building, we've sure been without a major tool that enables both for quite awhile. It definitely used to work.

Well said! I think the management here needs to be more focusing on recreating the spirit of classic EverQuest instead of just trying to recreate "classic EverQuest" which is all about facilitating people to form and join groups.

They've done special things to enhance the player experience on Red why not Blue?

P1999 is a national treasure and I am very grateful to the management for creating this for us. I wish they would start listening to the counsel of the P1999 community on issues like this. Please consider having some good faith dialogue with your community. We love this server, we just want to help make it better. There are many people who play P1999 who are experienced game designers and are people from all walks of life that could really be of great benefit to this server with the inclusion of their perspective. Thanks!

Napp
07-20-2016, 10:06 PM

This still requires you to be logged in on that character, so if I'm sitting there LFG I can't be on my EC mule or maybe leveling a lower level alt or maybe playing a totally different game while I'm waiting for a high level group to form up. I also think that it is important to realize that simply adding better group finding tools to the base game is not what everyone in the community wants. This is why the red server has global OOC and blue doesn't, well that and the population difference. To me a 3rd party program is the best solution and discord functions really well in this role. I guess my point is, play the game the way you wanna play it but don't expect everyone else to want it the exact same way.

Napp
08-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Monthly update: Still have a large user base chilling in chat and finding groups, I would like to see this keep growing but I'm not sure the best way to advertize. Hopefully as more people become familiar with discord it will happen naturally. I might make a new post next month and ask this one to be archived so people don't need to scroll through 5 pages of messages to see that this thing is still active : )

Llandris
08-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Bump.

The P99 staff has a presence on Napps server to help moderate and answer questions that you may have.

s7g
09-15-2016, 12:47 AM
Invite links say they are expired.

nkr
09-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Hey guys cant use the invite link. Is people still using this?

poena.dare
09-29-2016, 07:22 AM
P1999 is a national treasure...

I'm not being snarky when I say: We are the digital equivalent of Williamsburg.

Nemnoch
10-24-2016, 04:02 PM
Could someone post a new link? The instant invite originally posted has long since timed out.

Nemnoch
10-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Or if someone could just add me to it, Noch#7726, thanks (not sure if my last post went through)

Tazok
10-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Can someone post a new link?

Kaight
10-25-2016, 12:21 PM
http://www.discord.gg/F8dKySK

This is the new, GM-created server. Not Napp's, which was shutdown I believe.

Nemnoch
10-25-2016, 12:42 PM
http://www.discord.gg/F8dKySK

This is the new, GM-created server. Not Napp's, which was shutdown I believe.

Cool, thank you