PDA

View Full Version : 1st or 3rd

Kendir
07-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Just curious as to which camera view people use most of the time and why you like it best. I spend most of my time in 3rd person scrolled all the way out just so I can see in 360°.

digitz80
07-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Usually 3rd. First person is kind of annoying with no way to change the games field of view with widescreen monitors.

Wish the shaman spell assiduous vision was available to everyone, that spell increases field of view and makes first person bearable.

GMs should make a custom content item with field of view change effects :-)

Sorn
07-09-2016, 11:28 PM
When VR headsets come out en masse with open source dev kits and stuff, I fully expect someone in this community to hack EQ so first person mouselook is controlled by the headset and what direction you're looking.

Would definitely play that.

Thulack
07-09-2016, 11:45 PM
First person. Always and have for 14 years so never changed.

Danth
07-10-2016, 12:02 AM
Primary use of first person is how EQ was meant to be experienced and the only proper way to play the game. Other views exist for specific situations. Mouse wheel zoom is non-classic and shouldn't exist at all.

Danth

Skinned
07-10-2016, 12:38 AM
Depends if melee or not.

QFuzzle
07-10-2016, 02:00 AM
I use both depending on how I feel and the circumstance.

Arkanjil
07-10-2016, 02:08 AM
As a bard, I find myself in 3rd person quite a bit for CC, strictly because I don't play EQ with sound on. I'm usually listening to music or a podcast :) it might be neat to try 1st person and listen for sounds of things happening around you!

Muggens
07-10-2016, 06:34 AM
A mixture of both pertaining to the situation, and I bind F9 to a more accesssble button like G to easilly swap view modes.

fash
07-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Generally, I use 1st person scrolled out to 3rd. I will switch between that and 1st often in tight quarters, or to control levitate. In open/outdoor areas, I'll use the proper 3rd person view mode since it has a wider view and allows me to see further behind my character (so I can see those rogues coming sooner). I use the two distant, fixed view modes to look behind when chased by other players/mobs to judge distance, or to look around corners w/o exposing my position to other players. Occasionally, I'll use the top-down view to look over structures, on top of buildings, and so forth.

I find the follow camera mode useless.

Bboboo
07-10-2016, 07:38 AM
Scrolled out to 3rd unless in a tight space when first person makes more sense.

The day they remove mouse wheel to third person is the day I might come to a cross roads with P99.

Tecmos Deception
07-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Generally, I use 1st person scrolled out to 3rd. I will switch between that and 1st often in tight quarters, or to control levitate. In open/outdoor areas, I'll use the proper 3rd person view mode since it has a wider view and allows me to see further behind my character (so I can see those rogues coming sooner). I use the two distant, fixed view modes to look behind when chased by other players/mobs to judge distance, or to look around corners w/o exposing my position to other players. Occasionally, I'll use the top-down view to look over structures, on top of buildings, and so forth.

I find the follow camera mode useless.

^ exactly... because lite never told me how to manipulate the camera like he does (used to?) on red.

Laugher
07-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Scrolled out to 3rd unless in a tight space when first person makes more sense.

The day they remove mouse wheel to third person is the day I might come to a cross roads with P99.

This, but also the title made me think

"Who's on first?"

myriverse
07-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Chase cam. From the very beginning.

Shrubwise
07-10-2016, 11:17 AM
I used to be a 1st person guy until I started playing Rallos Zek. Then it was 3rd person 24/7 to keep an eye open at all times. I became quite good at turning the camera as my character moved (I would use the mode if you pushed F9 three times) so even while medding I could see my surroundings.
That is how I caught some hacker using MQ once on Rallos Zek. There was a safe island in the middle of Paludal Caverns I would go to meditate. I'm sitting there in 3rd person and this tool literally spawns on top of me with his pet. When I called him out on it he actually admitted right away and asked me not to rat him out. Can't remember if I did or not.

Axlrose
07-10-2016, 02:30 PM
I work third shift here in the States...

I play in the first person perspective, but I hope one day to play the original version once more when you actually saw your weapons swinging. I guess when more and more weapons were being introduced into the game, Sony removed the whole weapon view to avoid creating more graphics.

Varren
07-10-2016, 02:39 PM
I know in classic there was a command to go into 2nd person view, but very few knew about it. Does anyone know if this exists here?

Danth
07-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Actually you have a larger field of view using a 4:3 resolution than you have with a widescreen resolution. Titanium scales the screen to wider aspect ratios by reducing the vertical field of view rather than by the more usual method of increasing the horizontal. This is similar to older movies which create widescreen formats by chopping off the top and bottom.

Danth

applesauce25r624
07-10-2016, 09:12 PM
i'm such a non-conformist that i'm not gonna conform with any of you guys

2nd person

joppykid
07-11-2016, 08:57 AM
I've always done 3rd unless I need it to swim better or look through a wall. I hate not knowing whats surrounding me. Can't get that immersed lol

maskedmelon
07-11-2016, 09:56 AM
I pass back and forth between both ^^

fadetree
07-11-2016, 10:02 AM
First person. Always and have for 14 years so never changed.

Ditto.

myriverse
07-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I've always done 3rd unless I need it to swim better or look through a wall. I hate not knowing whats surrounding me. Can't get that immersed lol
I find chase easier to get immersed in, because EQs 1st person view is far too unnaturally restrictive.

Baler
07-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Most of the time third person.

In buildings, dungeons, small areas I use first person.
If I want to be nostalgic or immersed I use first person.

But I don't know if I would play without a third person view. :( Third person has become a QOL modernization that I am thankful for.

Bionic
07-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Mostly 3rd person. Others on an "as needed" basis.

lowner411
07-12-2016, 02:16 PM
I really think that the 1st person perspective provides the most immersion, but I scroll back from it when using AoE songs in an open area so I can see adds. I have tried using a permanent 3rd person perspective and even the chase cam, but prefer the 1st.

thufir
07-12-2016, 02:23 PM
Third if I can; not classic (at all) but the advantage of peripheral vision can't be understated. Huge bonus to your combat awareness. Can't dismiss it just for some extra feels.

However, sometimes quarters are tight and ceilings low, and being first person is a disadvantage because you can't see well if you do. In those cases I go first person and welcome the immersion.

Tasslehofp99
07-12-2016, 05:46 PM
I use both, depending in the situation.

I have 1st and 3rd person camera angles mapped to single keys (Numpad 0 and Numpad delete key) so that I can quickly swap between them.