PDA

View Full Version : What class will you roll on the new server?

Lunababy
07-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Assuming classic, no kunark or velious, what class will you roll fresh as a main?

Jauna
07-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Also no pvp or 30 minute corpse rot?

maskedmelon
07-11-2016, 11:31 PM
We talking green99 or purple99? Oh I suppose it doesn't matter for me either way ^^

Valura
07-11-2016, 11:57 PM
everyone make paladins

teai
07-12-2016, 12:29 AM
Druid or mage I think, necro possibly. Doesnt matter since all camps will be 24/7 lockdown ;3

Ivory
07-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Well, since the server won't be coming for another 10 years.....I think we have plenty of time to decide. :P

Pokesan
07-12-2016, 01:16 AM
everyone make paladins

you and i are gonna fight

dark elf shadowknight!!!

Baler
07-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Monk I don't have one on blue or red and I hear they're pretty good.

Crashking
07-12-2016, 03:29 AM
I would roll all of the above... in one way or another especially if the server would take 10 years to drop first expansion. I'd like to have experienced classic as classic, I just got to 99 a bit too late, though I am enjoying my time here just the same. Basically missed out on doing Plane of Sky back on live and think it would have been real interesting here doing it with old classic gear.

It would also be much nicer if raid grouping did work, but since I didn't raid until after Luclin on live, I have no idea how it worked prior. From what I am seeing here on 99 it seems like quite a cluster. I liked the shared xp, and looting functions that were added in later on plus the true raid window, though I could live without the raid window. Sure miss TGB though.

Dulu
07-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Source?

Or troll?

Amyas
07-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Is a new server really coming out?

myriverse
07-12-2016, 10:14 AM
New socks to poop in. Yay!

Arkanjil
07-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Hmmm.....id probably roll a ranger or rogue

trite
07-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Surprised paladin and ranger got as many as 3 votes when most popular class has 10 at the time I'm writing this....

trite
07-12-2016, 11:02 AM
I wonder if most people want to play enchanter because they don't have one here....I'd actually consider playing enchanter all over again with knowledge I have now...

Skinned
07-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Not even late Velious yet. Maybe I'm wrong.

Syncmasterpen
07-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Ranger

Ele
07-12-2016, 04:05 PM
will rogues have evade?

It shouldn't be implemented until 2/17/2000, just a couple months before Kunark. http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000217a.html

Baler
07-13-2016, 04:33 AM
will rogues have evade?

It shouldn't be implemented until 2/17/2000, just a couple months before Kunark. http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000217a.html

That is an excellent question and begs another question.

Would green be classic fully patched or would it progressively unlock/apply patches as time went on?

Jimjam
07-13-2016, 04:42 AM
Gearing up a character from nothing is always great fun, so I'd probably roll a warrior, perhaps the most gear dependant class. It will give a great motivation to explore the world and make plenty of new friends!

Trelaboon
07-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Gearing up a character from nothing is always great fun, so I'd probably roll a warrior, perhaps the most gear dependant class. It will give a great motivation to explore the world and make plenty of new friends!

Probably the same.....something about building up a warrior from scratch would be really satisfying since it's so difficult. My main here is a 60 Gnome Warrior and I just love it...plus once you're 60, raid tanking is awesome

Ele
07-13-2016, 11:19 AM

rock the langseax like a boss

Zuranthium
08-10-2016, 02:06 AM
If the server followed the exact Classic timeline then I would definitely play Necromancer. Back in the early days, giving pets weapons decreased their attack time to the attack delay of the weapon. High level pets back then also did more base damage than they do now.

Necromancers with pets that were dual-wielding daggers had by FAR the highest DPS in the game; they were in a completely different universe. Their pets alone were doing literally 4x as much damage as any melee class at the time...and that was the melee who actually had the best weapons. It was ridiculously obscene. Mage pets were bugged at the time and couldn't dual wield, although they were still extremely strong too.

jolanar
08-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Assuming it ever really happened... Ogre Shaman and use all my vacation time until I had a prenerf guise.

Sodors Finest Poster
08-10-2016, 09:17 AM
I imagine Thomas will be the most played.

Some ironic points will go to people who play whiny Percy.

I cant see James getting into many groups as he doesn't really provide much benefit and sustained speed.

I'll probably play Gordon since hes pretty strong and I could at least solo a bit while LFG.

Thedonn
08-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Please... release this server soon? Oh... mage.

Beckoning
08-10-2016, 03:32 PM
I voted for necromancer but enchanter would be my close second.

Laugher
08-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I can't give you an ETA, but I can add some information.

Since Kunark development, we have used a rule-based system when developing content and code. What this means is the work needed to add/remove timeline features only has to be done once, and a rule applied for the era.

For example, when a server is released (original eq launch date: march 1999), rubicite and manastones should drop until ~October 1999. When a new server is launched, all that is necessary is to set the correct era rules. The era switches allow us to apply rules to spawns, loottables, items, spells, doors, tradeskills, etc so they may be enabled/disabled without even a patch.

It has been, and still is the plan to release a timeline correct server a certain amount of time after Velious is complete. Velious still lacks 2 zones; Stonebrunt and Chardok revamp. There are patches between and after those times which need to be developed.

There are options which haven't been fully discussed. One option is as you said, once the new server reached the end of Velious, merge those characters back into the original existing p99 server. At that point, start a new one. i.e. Recycle

There will be announcements when those decisions are made.

Most likely this is something everyone's heard at least once, but a new server of some kind was re-confirmed with no date announced recently

phacemeltar
08-10-2016, 05:21 PM
???

Was it confirmed somewhere that we're getting a fresh server? I find this hard to believe.

Yes

I can't give you an ETA, but I can add some information.

Since Kunark development, we have used a rule-based system when developing content and code. What this means is the work needed to add/remove timeline features only has to be done once, and a rule applied for the era.

For example, when a server is released (original eq launch date: march 1999), rubicite and manastones should drop until ~October 1999. When a new server is launched, all that is necessary is to set the correct era rules. The era switches allow us to apply rules to spawns, loottables, items, spells, doors, tradeskills, etc so they may be enabled/disabled without even a patch.

It has been, and still is the plan to release a timeline correct server a certain amount of time after Velious is complete. Velious still lacks 2 zones; Stonebrunt and Chardok revamp. There are patches between and after those times which need to be developed.

Bwils
08-11-2016, 11:30 AM
In classic enchanters can camp ssoy smr and fbss at once. Every other class has trouble soloing lower guk. At first manastone was going for 10k and so was fbss..

Fael
08-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Enchanter as first class, cleric as first twink. And then iksar monk main during kunark. Bard worked in somewhere for fun.

dredra
08-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Well I have not heard of this new server, so I have high doubt that it will exist in the near future, if I do however get so lucky to catch the server and its soon I would roll a Dark Elf Cleric.

dredra
08-12-2016, 12:02 AM
lol another thing, why in the hell do these moderators never let any of my posts go through? That is quite irritating you cant have a real opinion on the forums if they do not like what is said.

ecarnby
08-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know the ETA of the new server(s)? I'd like to play EQ1 but is it worth it for me to jump in now?

I'd like to start an Enchanter, but I remember a Cleric being my first character, followed by a druid.

AenorVZ
08-12-2016, 11:00 PM
???

Was it confirmed somewhere that we're getting a fresh server? I find this hard to believe.

See my sig.

Auvdar
08-13-2016, 11:54 PM
The server back at launch was a complete camp down cluster fuck when it was released in 2009, when maybe 100-200 people played on it at a time. Imagine that, during classic, with 1000+ people playing. Ugh.

I mean it would be fun, but the perma-camp will be on full throttle.

Lemonhead
08-14-2016, 01:39 PM
Ya, it probably won't be fun if you have the goal of camping legacy items. And nobody will be able to buy manastones with the prospect of them being 100k+ in the future.

It will be very interesting how many people play. A lot of players will come back and word might spread on the live servers. It could be a very crowded launch.

There's a culture that forms on servers and on blue, we have a pretty darn polite culture, all things considered. The stress of 1000+ ambitious, skilled players competing in the old world could create a nasty little server.

JurisDictum
08-14-2016, 02:11 PM
If the server followed the exact Classic timeline then I would definitely play Necromancer. Back in the early days, giving pets weapons decreased their attack time to the attack delay of the weapon. High level pets back then also did more base damage than they do now.

Necromancers with pets that were dual-wielding daggers had by FAR the highest DPS in the game; they were in a completely different universe. Their pets alone were doing literally 4x as much damage as any melee class at the time...and that was the melee who actually had the best weapons. It was ridiculously obscene. Mage pets were bugged at the time and couldn't dual wield, although they were still extremely strong too.

I voted necro. Not only because the of the above quoted OPness. It is also still a really strong class when fixed. You can solo from 1-50 faster than many people can group there.

They aren't quite as fast at leveling as druids, but I like them endgame a lot more.

Overall though -- Mage is the famous powerleveling class for fresh servers. They probably level around as fast as necros (maybe a little faster) and have a lot of group utility.

Edit: I might consider shaman for the reason of getting a headstart for Kunark. Also, unlike necromancers, Iksar isn't clearly the best race.

Izmael
08-14-2016, 05:40 PM
The devs have beem working on the timeline patches just fine. Hardly not giving a shit.

Also running a new server would hardly cost much extra money.

Auvdar
08-14-2016, 11:06 PM
Ya, it probably won't be fun if you have the goal of camping legacy items. And nobody will be able to buy manastones with the prospect of them being 100k+ in the future.

It will be very interesting how many people play. A lot of players will come back and word might spread on the live servers. It could be a very crowded launch.

There's a culture that forms on servers and on blue, we have a pretty darn polite culture, all things considered. The stress of 1000+ ambitious, skilled players competing in the old world could create a nasty little server.

It's not just the "goal of legacy item" farming either. You clump this many people, into a classic vanilla only server, it will be rough for anyone. That's why I always laugh at people who go "Man we need a new server so us folks who didn't know about this could get a jump on things like a Guise or a Manastone!".. Honestly, when the server had only 100-200 people playing on peak times you had a slim chance on getting one unless you were in the loop. Some people, like me, only got these items through connections with other guilds. Now imagine that, with 1000+ people playing. Basic group camps will be a shit show.

It's a fun fantasy to think I new server would be great. But in reality, it would be a giant mass of people knowing what to do trying to camp things before they get nerfed. If it was a mess with only 100-200 people playing at a time, imagine 1000+ people playing at a time.

Ivory
08-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Crowded launch servers are pretty fun.....

Because of the contest over mobs and over-camping (even day 1)....people begin to spread out looking for EXP.

For example, first day on a 2k+ server full of noobies it isn't even worth trying to fight to level....instead you level faster by running between cities and doing the mail delivery quests (then using money to try and buy bone-chips).

As you get a little bigger, you can start to get REALLY creative in where you try to fight to get exp (killin fish in kera isle? sure why not).

I want to say "release with kunark at least"....but also playing a fresh classic server and needing to level to 50 with everyone competing in old world sounds like a lot of fun too.... leveling is slow but that means people end up doing more trade-skills and socializing / questing....pretty fun.

Nirgon
08-15-2016, 10:50 AM
everyone make paladins

Only so I can say "20% res OK?" and feel their dilemma on the other end

Ivory
08-15-2016, 03:39 PM

And then once rezzed....a high level cleric enters the zone giving free rezzes....and they go oddly quiet.....

Treefall
08-16-2016, 10:42 PM
I never really made and stuck with a Druid main, so I would probably do that.

Shaman doesn't appeal to me but I want to be able to heal and solo.

Ports would be a nice perk.

Psionide
08-16-2016, 11:48 PM
What's with all these votes for shamans in classic? Don't people realize they don't really shine until kunark? If you want op class for vanilla you go mage.

kaev
08-17-2016, 01:08 AM
Crowded launch servers are pretty fun.....

Because of the contest over mobs and over-camping (even day 1)....people begin to spread out looking for EXP.

For example, first day on a 2k+ server full of noobies it isn't even worth trying to fight to level....instead you level faster by running between cities and doing the mail delivery quests (then using money to try and buy bone-chips).

As you get a little bigger, you can start to get REALLY creative in where you try to fight to get exp (killin fish in kera isle? sure why not).

I want to say "release with kunark at least"....but also playing a fresh classic server and needing to level to 50 with everyone competing in old world sounds like a lot of fun too.... leveling is slow but that means people end up doing more trade-skills and socializing / questing....pretty fun.

Heh, I used to jump on new servers when they opened back on live... 340+ in GFay, GMs worldkicking people for pulling GFay bard mail dude to Felwithe entrance, rerolling in Qeynos because only 110 people there, ... fun times!

Jaleth
08-17-2016, 01:34 AM
Nice to see my 3 favorite classes are 3 of the 4 least desired to play on a new server at this moment in time. Boy can I pick em.

bdastomper58
08-17-2016, 01:44 AM
dark elf shadowknight, all points in INT of course

kaev
08-18-2016, 01:44 AM

Sorry, no 20% rez on p99 servers. Paladin gets 0% at 49 and 90% at 59, shit's classic.

Zuranthium
08-30-2016, 11:47 PM
I voted necro. Not only because the of the above quoted OPness. It is also still a really strong class when fixed. You can solo from 1-50 faster than many people can group there.

They aren't quite as fast at leveling as druids, but I like them endgame a lot more.

Overall though -- Mage is the famous powerleveling class for fresh servers. They probably level around as fast as necros (maybe a little faster) and have a lot of group utility.

I'm not sure why you say Mages have a lot of utility? Necros have way more; Mages pretty much have the least utility of any caster in most situations. Necros should probably solo faster too, since the later levels take longer and they have much better mana regen + dual-wielding pets at that point. Of course, it's actually best to duo anyway since pets will take half the exp with their massive damage. Mages can try chain-summoning to get around that but it's not actually super efficient/reliable in classic, because the fire pet often took extra time to cast its damage shield after being summoned and wouldn't use it when engaged in combat, and you would still need to use mana to finish the target off on your own.

The funny thing about Druid soloing back in the day is that their magic DoT line was unresistable at the very start of the game. Level 14+ Druids were able to DoT-kite deep-Red cons. That was fixed quickly, although it was still very popular to DoT kite more level appropriate things, until they nerfed that as well later on. Charm soloing with animals and quad kiting were unheard of. Necro is probably a faster soloer because the Druid spots are limited as they get up in levels and will be overcamped between them. The ridiculously OP necro pet just tears through everything, wherever the necro wants to go.

But this just another reason why a new PvE server with the exact classic coding will be shit. I take it back, wouldn't even be worth playing that kind of server to experience OP Necros again. Who really cares how OP you are when there's no skill/invention in it and you'd just be sitting around waiting for boring camps like everyone else once you get to the top.

Ivory
08-31-2016, 06:54 AM
7I take it back, wouldn't even be worth playing that kind of server to experience OP Necros again. Who really cares how OP you are when there's no skill/invention in it and you'd just be sitting around waiting for boring camps like everyone else once you get to the top.

So you play one of the easiest and most OP classes...then complain it is too OP and easy? :|

Do you also super twink your characters and complain that the game is too easy / trivial?

Take off the training wheels and play something challenging :P

Zuranthium
08-31-2016, 08:21 AM
The thought of playing Necro was just for nostalgia if they really did open an exact-classic timeline. Ultimately, it wouldn't even serve that purpose though.

When the game first came out, people didn't know what the hell they were doing. Necros weren't widely played because people were scared of being limited as an "Evil" character and didn't know about the immense power of the class. When the pet weapon-wielding trick did become widely known and more individuals were getting to high level as Necros and showing off everything the class could do, it was like an awesome roleplaying-themed reward for what they had to go through to get there. People would actually refuse to group with Necros back then, they would roleplay about not wanting to have anything to do with an "Evil" person.

So being a Necro was very much its own experience; they were treated as outcasts but then suddenly became incredibly powerful. It was very fitting. However, this narrative would not at all play out like that these days. Nobody would refuse to group with a Necro and everyone would know exactly how to maximize their power from day 1 and how to level the fastest and where to go to get all the best drops. Being a Necro would just mean needing to go farm and waiting in line with the tons of other people who are doing the exact same thing. At the same time, everyone would know it only lasts until Kunark comes out, at which point most of those farmed items become obsolete and Necros become much weaker. So why bother?

Ivory
08-31-2016, 08:29 AM
I doubt most people really know the power of necromancers sub 50 even today....

I meet VERY few necromancers who realize they can melee (adding significant damage) and out-tank their pets before 50. Who don't even know they have a self damage shield (or know their embrace spell is stronger than SKs, by a lot).

You think players now know it all, but I assure you they don't. There are a LOT of secrets to uncover (or a lot of myths perpetuated from old school EQ, that just aren't true at a mechanical level....like the strength of archery).

You may believe you have it all figured out, that there is nothing new in EQ after all these years....but you likely don't. ((For example, like a necromancer, did you know a cleric is actually more efficient soloing when they melee more sub 50?))

That is the type of stuff I been doing since I joined the server.... I played classic EQ, now I'm using what I know to go to the next level and outright break it :P

Bruno
08-31-2016, 09:22 AM
I doubt most people really know the power of necromancers sub 50 even today....

I meet VERY few necromancers who realize they can melee (adding significant damage) and out-tank their pets before 50. Who don't even know they have a self damage shield (or know their embrace spell is stronger than SKs, by a lot).

You think players now know it all, but I assure you they don't. There are a LOT of secrets to uncover (or a lot of myths perpetuated from old school EQ, that just aren't true at a mechanical level....like the strength of archery).

You may believe you have it all figured out, that there is nothing new in EQ after all these years....but you likely don't. ((For example, like a necromancer, did you know a cleric is actually more efficient soloing when they melee more sub 50?))

That is the type of stuff I been doing since I joined the server.... I played classic EQ, now I'm using what I know to go to the next level and outright break it :P

Very few necromancers play their toons to the fullest potential post 50 as well. They're a very versatile class that require some time to master.

khanable
09-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Human paladin, baby

GreldorEQ
09-01-2016, 08:56 AM
You think players now know it all, but I assure you they don't. There are a LOT of secrets to uncover

This game is markedly more fun when you explore, and test, and try new things. There is so much new content to approach from new perspectives!