PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction and...

Mambo
07-14-2016, 11:39 PM
Hey guys,

On-and-off Long-time lurker, recent obsessor, lifetime EQ enthusiast, first time poster.

A little about me:

I started EQ in 2000. Not sure exactly when. A friend introduced me. I purchased my own account and expansions in 2001. Friend told me to play a war (he was a Druid-his friends were an enchanter and ranger)-said "you press A (cause auto attack was A, never f*****g Q), and taunt! Casters are more difficult to start."

I started a war-but felt bored. No one to play with in feerot. After a couple days I made a Druid-because I wanted to pull fruit and vegetables out of my a**-alas, Rivervale and the misty thicket were fun, but my friend was right...casters WERE more work. Gotta buy spells...and stuff. Me ogre. Too much thaughtttt.

So I went back. I expanded to the swamp, Sro (with the sob random hill giant I wasn't told about), oasis (yay boats), Nro, and of course EC, and eventually through daylight, the evil Forrest and into highhold pass and keep.

I loved this game. I spent all my "free" time-both those hours that I should have been awake and those I should have been asleep-playing. I loved the faction. I loved that even though "friendly" cities hated my RZ worshipping butt that the OT loved me. I loved those groups. I loved lusting for 1 mother loving floop! I loved finishing a god forsaken hell level.

SoW was a god send from any passing Druid.

1 night I saw people gathering at the spire in Sro. I wasn't yet old enough to travel to hate. But I listed after the idea of grouping with 30-70 other people to kill "really tough stuff." Awesome. As soon as I turned 45/46 (forgive me for forgetting), I went on the first open raid (hate) that I could. I did not yet have a guild at that point.

The raid was amazing-to me. Actually it sucked in general-not super successful. Someone touched the f*****g wall! Got a bracer and maybe something else on that raid. Holy cow-my first raid piece. Heaven-a taste of the nectar from the sweet EQ teet that I so desperately wanted to suckle.

I can't remember my first guild, but my second was "spirit pack." Just a collection of friends/acquaintances. There was one cleric that I knew at the time. Her name was something like Claira Voyant. I adopted a last name, which apparently someone else on the server also had. Forever after we became friends and we fought over whom had it first.

My friend belonged to a guild that started doing some ToV stuff-but nothing like the top guilds at the time (Silent Redemption and Watchers-don't think Enshadowed was around yet). I grew more excited. Started gearing up for "raids" by getting things like an 8th ring MQ (paid 10k!!!).

Aside (as if every other paragraph isn't): I remember being on the brell boards constantly-remember thinking about how much time Nadia had on her hands. I would try to figure out how long I would have to farm to be able to afford a CoF or a Fungi. At that point, I don't recall ever actually seeing a BoC or SoD for sale. I Remember being on the brell rants. Ahh-the rant boards.

As I progressed, I became more serious, and I stopped letting RL get in the way (cue canned laughter). Joined my first legit raiding guild-Progeny of Fate (leader Tamian (TamianX after server merge)). Was a good group for me, although I always felt a little on the outside. Loved some of the old cats, like Gnomore, and his wife (forgive me, her enchanter name escapes me).Made friends in several of the top guilds-wanted to apply, but just could not meet that raid schedule. Eventually, as PoFate was dwindling, I joined Alarius. Became a top war and raided constantly till 2008. Then on and off till 2010. Then seriously for 3mo-1 year. Then have been mostly absent since then.

For years I came home around 5, went to sleep till 10. Woke up and raided till 3ish, then often grouped. Might sleep 1-3 hours before getting up again for the normal day. I did this not because I was part of the best guild on the server (inherently, although for some time we were one of the top), but because of the people. I loved the people I played with. They were family.

I never got to Vegas or participate in the yearly RL guild meetings. Always hated that I missed that. Played so long that I had several friends, unfortunately, pass do to Cancer. Sweet baby James will always have a special place in my heart due to Mystier. I will also never forget the late night post-raid groups with Fosten, the drunken dwarf on TS. I still listen to Sound Philosophy.

As you can tell, I am sentimental as f**k.

Raiding is what I loved. Even when I was not in a raiding guild I joined open raids for Kael, NToV, dragons, Dain, later SSRA, VT, then yet later the plains. Thank you, Scurvy (of Sojourners). Not only did I raid, but I led parts of raids. MT'd, MA'd, class lead, etc. I've played most classes, but outside of specializing in my War I have played Druids, necros, monks, sks, Rangers at most level ranges, raided with war and shaman mostly (boxed-guild mate, never my own). I say this only to say that although I love several classes, and believe that I understand the game and every class' role very well; war is just where my heart has always lied. I have never tried to be anything but in real capacity. I like being that meat shield. I like being a focal part of the group. I like being the MT. I like the control. I like being the knight. I like a heavy agro group that forces me to be a better war.

I have thought long and hard about whether I'd role a war or not all over. I loved playing a monk, Druid and SK, but I just know if I can give up the war.

My life kind of fell out of EQ. I met my wife through some friends in EQ, we moved in, and we have been together since 2006. I now own a house, am in a PhD program, and don't really have any hobbies outside of the gym. I don't play any games now a days, because nothing has the social aspect j love. I have tried to get back into EQ here and there, but no one I really know is left. It's kind of frustrating.

The only other game I have ever played nearly as much is CS (was almost in a cal-O clan back in the day. Loved Awp-rushing). But-FPSs are only so fun. I miss the social interaction. That's what I did-that's what I loved. I even agrees to be an officer or outreach for different guilds because I liked that type of interaction and recruitment.

From everything I have gathered, P99 is what I am looking for-again. It seems like there will actually be people to group with at every level range as I level up again over the next few months (and it will be months if things are as slow as I remember).

I guess that is my introduction. I hope that you have enjoyed reading my time-warp recount as much as I have enjoyed reliving it.

...And also a few questions...:
1) are there actually people to group with at lower levels?

2) is Everyone going to abandon this place when Pantheon(sp) comes out?

3) Is the sleeper still asleep? I never got to raid the warders, and god I have always wanted to raid ST and VP like it was intended (and pre change).

4) do people still group at the high end, or mostly just raid?

5) I am looking to play maybe an hour a day 5 days a week, and maybe 2 or 3 hours 2 days a week (for awhile). When I get to appropriate level I would like to join a guild that I can raid with. Of course, I'd have to pick one that meets my schedule and I can meet theirs.

6) Obviously class numbers wax and wane over time, but does there appear to (in general) be too many War's? Is it just foolhardy to role a war or some other class right now because there are just too many?

If I do this (install and actually allow myself to get invested)-That's it. I'm committed. As silly as it may sound, I just don't want to get my heart broken by trying to invest in something that might not be what I expect. Hence the guardedly optimistic introduction.

Sincerely,
The Fuscia War