PDA

View Full Version : Dragon age 2

Duie
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
arrives in march :D

<happy dance>

Drefub
01-05-2011, 08:56 PM
i dont think this is server related or server chat related MOVE TO OFF TOPIC PLZ

fischsemmel
01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
arrives in march :D

<happy dance>

I'm not excited.

I WAS excited about dragon age, what with it being billed as the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and all. But it just didn't deliver. The little things added up to make it more annoying than fun for me:

1. I played a caster. Casters want to attack from range, but scripted stuff (like "oh look, they have a hostage! too bad the game doesn't let my character realize that until I'm standing 3 feet away from the captors) often wouldn't activate from the distances a caster would engage at.

2. I played a caster. Casters want to be in the back of the party, but as the main character, I always was forced into the front after any form of dialogue.

3. I played a caster. Casters were penalized on higher difficulities in ways that other classes were not.

4. I played a caster, but the caster "classes" sucked.

Basically the game was just lame for being a spellcaster.

Rejuvenation
01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm not excited.

I WAS excited about dragon age, what with it being billed as the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and all. But it just didn't deliver. The little things added up to make it more annoying than fun for me:

1. I played a caster. Casters want to attack from range, but scripted stuff (like "oh look, they have a hostage! too bad the game doesn't let my character realize that until I'm standing 3 feet away from the captors) often wouldn't activate from the distances a caster would engage at.

2. I played a caster. Casters want to be in the back of the party, but as the main character, I always was forced into the front after any form of dialogue.

3. I played a caster. Casters were penalized on higher difficulities in ways that other classes were not.

I'm guessing you didn't play on the PC version? Casters were very strong and you could control a more durable class to be in the front and just switch when the fight started.

Cribanox
01-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I didnt like the fact that the characters you control come pre skilled, and may not exactly be the "build" you'd like them to be. Most annoying with caster characters.

I'm trying neverwinter nights 2 currently, my first neverwinter night game ever, and Ive never played any dungeons and dragons. This game feels more like EQ than any other game has yet.

fischsemmel
01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I played the PC version.

The suggestion to screw around with starting dialogue with a melee character instead of my main character so that the main character could avoid starting in front of the group every time would be a bandaid fix, sure. So would not playing a caster at all.

But the fact that things like this even need to be considered in the first place is exactly why I couldn't really enjoy the game all that much. This didn't have anything to do with strategy in the game... it had to do with metagame tinkering to get around a crappy design. That's not the kind of thing I play games to do.

Mardur
01-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah I didn't like Dragon Age.

Taco
01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I thought Dragon Age was great and I even played it on a console, but it certainly didnt live up to the Baldurs Gate series. I still consider Thrones of Bhaal to be one of the best games Ive ever played.

I definitely had my complaints with Dragon Age, the combat engine was kind of behind the times. The way the attack Queues were implemented made combat clunky and it made a bad impact on tactical gameplay. The good thing is that they have chosen to fix that with DA2. From what i can tell DA2 seems to have worked on many of the annoying elements from the first game.

Non combat/engine wise, my biggest complaints with DA would be I just didnt like the structure of the story. Too much time spent going to the different cities gathering party members, I think that should have been limited to only being in the first segment of the game.

Step 1: Gather Party
Step 2: Kill Dragon

game over

They could have done better than that, but I did enjoy the party banter and some of the actual storylines werent bad either.

garyogburn
01-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I was massively disappointed by Dragon Age. The combat was terrible, story meh.

Ihealyou
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Enchantment?

Seeatee
01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I enjoyed dragon age quite a bit, I am sure the sequel will be better then the first, more polish etc, plus its bioware and I have the utmost faith in them.

that being said, I am WAY more excited for Dead Space 2 then I am for DA2. :cool:

Occam's Butter Knife
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm not excited.

Casters, if anything were way way over powered in DA2. To the point of being game killing. AOE damage and CC in most spells and once you got blood magic you were a killing machine.

I thought the story was great. I just could not bring myself to deal with the craptacular game play for another play through to explore other corners of it.

I have pre-ordered DA2 and I am waiting to pre-order ME3.

jeffd
01-08-2011, 03:39 AM
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7814/biowarestorylines.png

spoilers: bioware stopped being relevant after the baldur's gate series.

Tealia
01-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Weird, i played a mage and got bored of the game because i was too powerful.