PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new rogue (need help!)

Hamedore
01-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Hey all,

I started a new rogue this week.
I never played this class before, does anyone know a good guide to understand how to play this class well ?

Thanks !

Hamedore
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Any advice are welcome, please help me ! :)

Rahnza
01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
It's pretty easy, barbarian is best race, dwarf is a good second. Auto attack and backstab behind the mob. Auto attack off + hide = evade to drop some aggro. Hide + sneak is slow but better than invis, which is helpful for corpse dragging etc.

Glaani
01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Until someone with more rogue experience can help, these links might at least get you started:

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/index.php
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/classes.html?class=2
http://www.eqthieves.com/class-rogue-main.htm

Welcome and good luck! :)

Hamedore
01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the links, they are very useful to a noob like me :)

see ya around !

Kavanah
01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Let your tank establish aggro when in group. Just like it matters not to have a ton of hp and armor, if your tank can't aggro its worthless. In the same manner it matters not if you deal out a ton of damage, if you are tanking its worthless.

Learn when to jump into the fight, learn when to auto attack off and use hide for evading, probably good to do it once in between every few backstabs if you are getting aggro at all. Also you want to prioritize str over all other stats. It makes you hit harder and hit for max more often. You can't backstab walled mobs and if a mob gets rooted max sure you are max melee'ing. Rogue is probably the easist class to play on this game imo.

Chanus
01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Pretty thorough, Kavanah.

I would just clarify that "max melee'ing" means standing as far away as you can while still being able to hit the mob... just in case someone reading this doesn't understand that term.

Ritley
01-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Set up an evade macro along the lines of:
/attack off
/doability #
/attack on

It is possible to do the evade faster manually than with a macro, but it's negligible and this is tons easier.

For stats, like was said focus on str first and then hp second. Obviously mainhand a piercer (higher damage is better for backstab), offhand whatever you have that has the best ratio.

Gaaaaavin
01-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I might get flamed for this opinion, but you DO have other options that aren't Barbarian/Dwarf. There are definite advantages, higher starting strength specifically. However, come Kunark you'll likely be at or near strength cap thanks to gear anyway. So in the end, strength wise, everyone pretty much tends to come out even. However, some other classes give you other benefits such as more dex, hide that starts out at skill 50, etc.

So in the end, don't feel trapped into the Barbarian or Dwarf races. I've leveled up a wood elf rogue to 60 twice and he has always had just as much strength and done just as much damage as his Barbarian counterparts.

azeth
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
1. do your burning rapier quest asap

2. buy a polished steel dirk asap

3. wield a polished steel dirk main hand, burning rapier offhand til you get your hands on an Eyerazzia mainhand, PSD(or burning rapier) offhand, finally bone razor mainhand with psd offhand(or burning rapier). <-- discludes spears.

Tiggles
01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Make sure to pick pocket constantly it helps the raid out by giving you gems to donate to the guild bank....

.......yes

xshayla701
01-10-2011, 01:02 PM
It's pretty easy, barbarian is best race, dwarf is a good second.

Clearly the best race for anything is dark elf..

Ihealyou
01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Clearly the best race for anything is dark elf..

Especially rogue...