PDA

View Full Version : GM Events

Odonk
09-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Is it still true that this server only has a single GM event per year? Said event only occurring around Halloween and usually being a low level scavenger hunt.

I remember GM events on live being hosted like twice a month. Before anyone says "there arent enough GMs", whose fault is that?

Lhancelot
09-30-2016, 01:29 PM
Is it still true that this server only has a single GM event per year? Said event only occurring around Halloween and usually being a low level scavenger hunt.

I remember GM events on live being hosted like twice a month. Before anyone says "there arent enough GMs", whose fault is that?

I think this means only one thing. The entire staff of P99 are witches and warlocks.

maskedmelon
09-30-2016, 01:31 PM
I think this means only one thing. The entire staff of P99 are witches and warlocks.

:eek:

Sage Truthbearer
09-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Uthgaard was the only GM who had the tools and willingness to code scripted GM events on a frequent basis. Ever since his departure from staff these events have stopped showing up. But regular GM events were always the exception, not the rule, on P99.

Rygar
09-30-2016, 02:12 PM
I vaguely recall seeing a post from a GM that said people complain about there not being any GM events, you work hard to make and host one, then everyone rips on how stupid it was. Can't say that motivates them much when entitled / toxic players ruin it for the masses.

On Live I was in Freeport when there was this mini GM event, a guide as an NPC was yelling, saying people were after him, and he needed protection. We walked around with him a bunch for 5-10 minutes. Then we heard whispers in Dark Elvish, and 2 DE rogues appeared and started attacking. We dispatched of the rogues (which only dropped FS daggers). The guide thanked us and left.

Thing is, I thought this was awesome, I even got my roleplay on during the event, something I never really do. It reminded me of a scene from a fantasty novel.

Most on this server would probably cry, "REALLY?! Freaking Fine Steel drops for a GM event?! I would rather you didn't bother, be more creative next time".

Odonk
09-30-2016, 02:22 PM
I vaguely recall seeing a post from a GM that said people complain about there not being any GM events, you work hard to make and host one, then everyone rips on how stupid it was. Can't say that motivates them much when entitled / toxic players ruin it for the masses.

On Live I was in Freeport when there was this mini GM event, a guide as an NPC was yelling, saying people were after him, and he needed protection. We walked around with him a bunch for 5-10 minutes. Then we heard whispers in Dark Elvish, and 2 DE rogues appeared and started attacking. We dispatched of the rogues (which only dropped FS daggers). The guide thanked us and left.

Thing is, I thought this was awesome, I even got my roleplay on during the event, something I never really do. It reminded me of a scene from a fantasty novel.

Most on this server would probably cry, "REALLY?! Freaking Fine Steel drops for a GM event?! I would rather you didn't bother, be more creative next time".

i agree, a few people on this server would bitch and moan about FS drops from a GM event.... but not all. But using the logic of "a GM that said people complain about there not being any GM events, you work hard to make and host one, then everyone rips on how stupid it was" shouldnt prevent them from trying.

Sorn
09-30-2016, 02:24 PM
Most of the volunteer manpower is devoted to fixing bugs and coding things. Right now staff's going full steam ahead on the next patch, but it does sound like we're still getting a Halloween event despite this :)

In the meantime, the Department of Fun, while limited in numbers and energy, will make up for this lack by putting on player-run events at a far higher frequency than once a year! :D like...once every three months!

PS: DoF seeking 54+ bards and 29+ wizards + other testers for testing an idea that could be amazing if it happens like in my head*

* it'll probably be a disaster the first time but that's what testing is for :)

Odonk
09-30-2016, 02:27 PM
it would be simple to have non coding GMs. on live there was a difference between GM and Guide. take some power away from the guide rank and enlist more of them.

Valrok
09-30-2016, 02:30 PM
:eek:

Lhancelot
09-30-2016, 02:41 PM
I must have warlocks on the mind. When I seen Valrok's sig, I read it as WARLOCK of Divinity. FFS I need to go outside.

jarlerop
09-30-2016, 02:57 PM
I never gave a shit on live and I dont on p99 either.

myriverse
09-30-2016, 03:02 PM
I never remember events being twice a month on Live. Maybe 3-4 times a year... maybe.

But I'm not so sure we deserve it.

Lhancelot
09-30-2016, 03:15 PM
I guess I am a loser casual from back in the day. I liked the simple, "non-thinking" events where they spawned unusual/weird mobs to kill and there was a minute chance of them dropping something really special. It's not so much getting something for nothing, it's just fun to get something neat and unusual as a surprise. It's like killing a named mob that drops a really rare item, when it finally drops the feeling is great. Also, it was fun when all levels could participate and get equally useful nice items.

Pumpedup
09-30-2016, 03:21 PM
we have GM Events on red all the time, when shit gets so out of control GMs have to be called in to break shit up

Try red

Gumbo
09-30-2016, 04:02 PM
We have talked about this before about why there was no GM events and it's simple. If there was a GM event then the reward would have to be something to the point of being close to "epic" just to make people happy.

Otherwise, players would bitch, complain and say it was a waste of their time and they could have farmed a better item.

I remember the last GM event and I think the code got screwed up and it gave out random items for rewards and it was as players would put it, "vendor junk" and bitched and complained and sold the items...

skarlorn
09-30-2016, 04:09 PM
I remember a sweet as Frick GM event. I think it was Halloween actually. Kurns tower was attacked by avatar of Thule and like 200+ raiders from different raid guilds all worked together to defeat this beast. It dropped a guise and a couple other things.

Hard to wanna work harder for such a belligerent and toxic player base.

Sage Truthbearer
09-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Scripting a custom GM event requires 1) coding knowledge, 2) a high level of access.

I am sure the level of access is above what normal Guide would have.

Therefore, Sirken is most likely the only remaining staff member with access required to script a custom GM event other than Rogean/Nilbog.

Odonk
09-30-2016, 05:18 PM
I don't know why people think everything has to be custom scripted. So what if a few people bitch? It would keep those bitchs from attending future events therefore allowing more deserving ettendees to get the drops. For that matter just set off some fireworks in WC and hand out ale

Lhancelot
09-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Scripting a custom GM event requires 1) coding knowledge, 2) a high level of access.

Therefore, Sirken is most likely the only remaining staff member with access required to script a custom GM event other than Rogean/Nilbog.

I heard they are bringing in some top secret game coders who are going to assist the already extraordinarily talented staff to do something mega-special this Halloween on P99. Get ready for some real magic in Norrath, folks. You don't want to miss it!

skarlorn
09-30-2016, 05:28 PM
I heard they are bringing in some top secret game coders who are going to assist the already extraordinarily talented staff to do something mega-special this Halloween on P99. Get ready for some real magic in Norrath, folks. You don't want to miss it!

Got prof? Don't tease me.

Sirken
09-30-2016, 07:05 PM

actually since Uthgaard, only Rogean and Nilbog have the access / tools to create events the way that Uthgaard use to run them. We are working on a Halloween event that we are hoping to see mix together a bunch of elements from previous events. With a little bit of everything we are hoping to please as many people as possible, however we're well aware that it's impossible to please every body.

Fun fact, there's a world event running right now and has been for months (ie: Karana Plague)

also, we'd love to run more events, the problem is that right now most of our free minutes are going towards fixing things, adding things, handling petitions, and much needed rest. but it is our hope and plan to bring you guys more events in the future.

skarlorn
09-30-2016, 07:16 PM
Love it. Wondering if the Karanas plague will build towards the Halloween event???

Odonk
09-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Then add a few more guides to help run through the petition caseloads

fan D
09-30-2016, 07:22 PM
. But using the logic of "a GM that said people complain about there not being any GM events, you work hard to make and host one, then everyone rips on how stupid it was" shouldnt prevent them from trying.

you'd think it would make the person more motivated to do better events

fan D
09-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Then add a few more guides to help run through the petition caseloads

wow thank god we have you for the brilliant insight buddy

what a marvelous addition you are to the community

MiRo2
09-30-2016, 07:38 PM
There we're 4 different kinds of "GM Events" on live. I'm not sure all are possible or feasible on this server due to workload required or missing framework.

Patched In
-These we're patched in during particular times
--Example: Yearly Halloween events in rathe/sk, etc

Large Scale
-Heavily scripted events with GM/Guide roleplayers that took place once during the history of the game
--Example: War in Kithicor, Kunark Opening, etc

GM/Guide Run
-Would usually start with a world emote for the event and be run by the GM(Item reward, generally WR Bags) or Guide (Crowd sourced reward, usually admission fee)
--example: Arena Royal Rumble, level 1 races, etc

Minor Scripted
-Guides would request to do a minor event on the server guide boards. Once approved by a Server GM, characters would be placed on Guide accounts, with reward items and special buffs that added HP/ATK DMG/REGEN equivalent to the level required. They would log in and use a command to change appearance and flag themselves as an NPC and proceed via the script.
--Example: Hill giant revenge, Roleplay events, etc

Odonk
09-30-2016, 09:36 PM
wow thank god we have you for the brilliant insight buddy

what a marvelous addition you are to the community

im not your buddy, guy

Llodd
09-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Just stop sending in stupid petitions. Oh wait....

Pokesan
09-30-2016, 10:33 PM
hoping for some haunted muffins for halloween quest reward