and I thought to myself

I can see how not classic this is from here

Anyone else

Izmael
10-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Is this an attempt at haiku?

xKoopa
10-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Did they revert the vision nerf? Aint been on in a while but humans were def blind a while back

maskedmelon
10-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Did they revert the vision nerf? Aint been on in a while but humans were def blind a while back

They only ever been blind for a few hours :/

Lhancelot
10-05-2016, 02:20 PM
On my human character

running through Nektulos forest at night time

no greater lightstone or light source otherwise in hand

and I thought to myself

I can see how not classic this is from here

Anyone else

The moon actually makes a great light source btw.

I have been out at night in forests of trees, and although holding no personal light source of my own, I could see well enough that I could make my way through the forest.

Guess I aint human? :p

skarlorn
10-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Spoiler he was wearing a t crown

Sorn
10-05-2016, 02:59 PM
You know, I don't think there's actual night and day in forest zones on p99...they're just sort of a benign misty daytime at all hours.

Lhancelot
10-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Is this an attempt at haiku?

Never been a fan of haiku! He should have made it rhyme, would have been much more entertaining to read.

Nirgon
10-05-2016, 03:53 PM
You realize I could barely find my way through the EC entrance in Nek as a dark elf on Live?

I don't slow down when out of yellow meter or lose it when swimming or swinging heavy weapons.

Where's the got damn immersion?!

Inb4 that meddling Halloweenie pries into my bidness.

One Tin Soldier
10-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Never been a fan of haiku! He should have made it rhyme, would have been much more entertaining to read.

So there he was all broken hearted

Just logged in and barely started

No light, no spell, and gamma down

Still he found his way around

He boiled, seethed and raged out loud

"Not classic this and not allowed!1!

Mine eyes have glimpsed forbidden sights

Of Nektulous in deepest night"

Our sympathies must lie with him

Whose eyes perceived despite light dim

Those sights not meant for men to see

Which he carries now eternally

------------------------------------------------

There, is that better? I did my best on short notice.

Nirgon
10-05-2016, 04:06 PM
friend request sent

and put item loot on the got damn red server

paulgiamatti
10-05-2016, 04:16 PM
on my human character running

forest at night, Nektulos with no light

otherwise in hand, no source

and I thought, "greater lightstone"

to myself from here, I can see

how classic this is not

Nirgon
10-05-2016, 04:29 PM
on my human character running

forest at night, Nektulos with no light

otherwise in hand, no source

and I thought, "greater lightstone"

to myself from here, I can see

how classic this is not

th'fuck outta here!

http://imgur.com/YY6lrvu.jpg

next!

maskedmelon
10-05-2016, 04:48 PM
By night without light
Comes fright before sight
Neither wit nor might
Might brighten one's plight

A matter not trite
This lack of foresight
A disaster not quite
Without such insight

Lhancelot
10-05-2016, 05:17 PM
By night without light
Comes fright before sight
Neither wit nor might
Might brighten one's plight

A matter not trite
This lack of foresight
A disaster not quite
Without such insight

Bravo! Very good! :)

AzzarTheGod
10-05-2016, 06:09 PM
You realize I could barely find my way through the EC entrance in Nek as a dark elf on Live?

I don't slow down when out of yellow meter or lose it when swimming or swinging heavy weapons.

Accurate post. However the method staff wanted to use to implement vision was completely wrong and a hack job.

Glad it was scrapped. Unless they can make it truly classic with no bullshit I don't see it being feasible.

Either it's possible to make classic or it isn't. Indications we have so far based on failed implementation are that it isn't possible.

Swish
10-05-2016, 06:38 PM
friend request sent

and put item loot on the got damn red server

No thanks on item loot at this point, but feel free to wipe it clean and put a teams ruleset with it on the next incarnation <3

Andrei Chikatilo
10-05-2016, 07:47 PM
<3

why does a man write this between another man?

this is the cucking I've read about?

Muggens
10-06-2016, 05:26 AM
Good poems and haikus here, rated 5 stars

fadetree
10-06-2016, 07:57 AM
So there he was all broken hearted

Just logged in and barely started

No light, no spell, and gamma down

Still he found his way around

He boiled, seethed and raged out loud

"Not classic this and not allowed!1!

Mine eyes have glimpsed forbidden sights

Of Nektulous in deepest night"

Our sympathies must lie with him

Whose eyes perceived despite light dim

Those sights not meant for men to see

Which he carries now eternally

+1
good stuff, and you paid attention to meter, unlike SOME people.

Jimjam
10-06-2016, 08:03 AM
The fix, btw is to put sun glasses on during night hours.

Izmael
10-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Back then everyone had CRT monitors, today everyone has LCD's. Maybe this plays a role as well.

A1rh3ad
10-06-2016, 09:11 AM
I agree. I just started and was disappointed in some of the things that are different than classic. Are there any other notable changes?

Furniture
10-06-2016, 10:59 AM
The issue is that everybody plays with their brightness option in game turned up. If you drop it down to 0 then you cant see shit at night like your supposed to.

Nirgon
10-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Naw that ain't true I tried that back in the day to no avail.

It might have actually helped a very little bit but even with ultravision it was ridiculously dark to the point you could get completely lost.

It was most immersive.

They have the night spawn cycles mostly nailed here as far as I've been able to tell and it is greatly appreciated. There's more to the magic of EQ than how many epics you have in your stable.

For instance, the divine work of our pal Telin on the particle effects. Luv dat guy. If anyone can #makeNightTimesDarkAagain, its him.

Ljotur
10-07-2016, 09:55 AM
i knew something was off. i just started this server and was able to navigate through the tunnel to black burrow in everfrost as a barbarian without a light source.

i remember getting STUCK in that tunnel on live.

Nirgon
10-07-2016, 02:34 PM
friend request sent

Varren
10-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Even with ultra
Didnt see much of
the shrouded figure
Of the raven clad *****
standing over his bed.
Confusion rife in his head,
with a trembling tingle
way deep down in his dingle
to know he had given
what had always been hidden
His innocence gone
To a man from Tucson
A straight up cucking
From a red as f*ck twink
rogue he brandished ragebringer
And he plunged it in deeeep

darkreap
10-08-2016, 01:05 AM
i knew something was off. i just started this server and was able to navigate through the tunnel to black burrow in everfrost as a barbarian without a light source.

i remember getting STUCK in that tunnel on live.

Right!!! Man I had to walk through that thing backwards to keep the torches behind me in sight just so I knew I was moving away from it.

AzzarTheGod
10-08-2016, 03:48 AM
Does anyone know what the technical hurdle was? I think it was client related in regard to video cards but I can't be sure.

Nirgon
10-08-2016, 04:09 PM
they were tryin to do it with black fog emitters

how it actually works i dawno

paulgiamatti
10-08-2016, 04:57 PM
For most people it worked as intended, for the most part, but for some video cards it was so dark that literally the only thing you could see were the nameplates. I'm really glad that this bug occurred, because even with Ultravision the game was stupidly and unclassicly dark, and they would've kept it like this just because it would've been "more classic" than the way it currently is.

It's a pointless inconvenience anyway - in 1999 all I did was adjust gamma settings to get it to look the way it does today on P99. Similarly, when they implemented the "fix" here, the only "immersive" aspect about it was the inconvenience of having to change gamma settings to get it to look the way it did before. It would've been a pointless detriment to quality of life, almost like: "Well, in 1999 most people had shitty connections, so let's create artificial lag for everyone that connects to the servers!"

AzzarTheGod
10-08-2016, 05:44 PM
It's a pointless inconvenience anyway - in 1999 all I did was adjust gamma settings to get it to look the way it does today on P99. Similarly, when they implemented the "fix" here, the only "immersive" aspect about it was the inconvenience of having to change gamma settings to get it to look the way it did before. It would've been a pointless detriment to quality of life, almost like: "Well, in 1999 most people had shitty connections, so let's create artificial lag for everyone that connects to the servers!"

Disagree. All gamma did during classic was make light sources markedly better, and everyone had a light source. It didn't allow you to see anything that you couldn't see imo. Gamma correcting black is still black, just a lighter shade. If you cant see the structure of the texture, you cant see it period. Gamma didn't function as you said as far as I recall.

It was only post 2002-2003+ era when gamma was a factor, almost like the game was a completely new client build which it probably was.

paulgiamatti
10-08-2016, 05:57 PM
It was probably different for everyone depending on your GPU and monitor back then just as it is today. In 1999, I absolutely had EQ looking exactly as it does when I play today, the only difference was that I had to crank gamma up much further than what I crank it up to now.

Literally the only thing a "classic" gamma change on P99 would do to me is degrade my already deteriorating eyesight, because I'd simply crank gamma up a whole bunch more, which would make everything else that I alt-tab to ten times brighter than it already is when I launch EQ.

Again - a pointless, stupid detriment to quality of life that would make me want to stop playing on the server.

big_ole_jpn
10-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Disagree. All gamma did during classic was make light sources markedly better, and everyone had a light source. It didn't allow you to see anything that you couldn't see imo. Gamma correcting black is still black, just a lighter shade. If you cant see the structure of the texture, you cant see it period. Gamma didn't function as you said as far as I recall.

It was only post 2002-2003+ era when gamma was a factor, almost like the game was a completely new client build which it probably was.

I remember being stuck at the surefall dark-tunnel and learning that turning up gamma could make it navigable at least

/shrug

AzzarTheGod
10-08-2016, 07:26 PM
I remember being stuck at the surefall dark-tunnel and learning that turning up gamma could make it navigable at least

/shrug

I feel that tunnel had 1 torch placed in a corner spot so it was throwing off some light but I could be wrong, and were u packing a lantern or nething? idk I feel lots of people had light sources.

I think paul is right its video card/driver dependent. I required Ultravision and Infravision on my wizard, regardless of Gamma on a Voodoo card. My recollection is similar to Nirgon's.

xKoopa
10-08-2016, 07:38 PM
i was a dark elf and had trouble seeing in nektulos

i later made a human and couldnt find my way out of freeport

paulgiamatti
10-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Right, I mean by default it was dark as any race, and insanely dark as a human - the first time I ever logged into EQ as a human ranger in Surefall Glade, I stumbled off the docks and promptly drowned in the small pond. You couldn't see shit.

And I'm sure light emitters had a more profound impact on the environment. The client change that eventually happened was mostly to address the problem which I'm describing - players were simply cranking their gamma way up to compensate for the darkness, making their UI and everything else outside of EQ way too bright. So yeah, that was an unclassic change, but it totally falls under the purview of QoL exceptions like item linking and queued tells.

You could probably make P99 pretty close to classic by figuring out a way to give the UI its own gamma/brightness setting, but I'm guessing that would require some pretty heavy client-side modification that you wouldn't be able to accomplish in XML alone.

Ella`Ella
10-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Nirgon one of the few people on the box I'd buy a drink. Can geriatrics drink?

big_ole_jpn
10-08-2016, 09:14 PM
I feel that tunnel had 1 torch placed in a corner spot so it was throwing off some light but I could be wrong, and were u packing a lantern or nething? idk I feel lots of people had light sources.

I think paul is right its video card/driver dependent. I required Ultravision and Infravision on my wizard, regardless of Gamma on a Voodoo card. My recollection is similar to Nirgon's.

Naw no light source and the tunnel is so deep it's 'pitch black' even way past the one torch. Butt with max gamma the general shape of terrain was (barely) visible at max gamma.

Pokesan
10-08-2016, 09:15 PM
give haynar a crack at it, strongly believe if anyone can fix it he can

Pras

paulgiamatti
10-08-2016, 10:32 PM
http://imgur.com/3N8dTrh.gif

supermonk
10-11-2016, 12:24 PM
can anyone find a 1999 video of how bad night vision was? i recall when i was a young erud in q-hills at the ripe level of 4, i couldn't see anything at all. i remember fighting a bat and was terrified of how dark it was.

AzzarTheGod
10-11-2016, 04:40 PM
can anyone find a 1999 video of how bad night vision was? i recall when i was a young erud in q-hills at the ripe level of 4, i couldn't see anything at all. i remember fighting a bat and was terrified of how dark it was.

Unfortunately all of my 1999 screenshots were taken in well-lit areas or with the ultravision buff Chill Sight being casted on myself as a Wizard.

I had to keep Chill Sight up at all times, as did all my other Wizard friends. All of us would include it in our buff line and during rebuffs you could hear each other and see each other casting it. That is classic, period. It felt special having this ability as a Wizard.

I think video is out of the question, there was no readily accessible device for this in 1999.

supermonk
10-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately all of my 1999 screenshots were taken in well-lit areas or with the ultravision buff Chill Sight being casted on myself as a Wizard.

I had to keep Chill Sight up at all times, as did all my other Wizard friends. All of us would include it in our buff line and during rebuffs you could hear each other and see each other casting it. That is classic, period. It felt special having this ability as a Wizard.

I think video is out of the question, there was no readily accessible device for this in 1999.

i remember thinking EQ was like a horror game similar to Doom because of how dark it was. i was afraid :D

Nirgon
10-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Nirgon one of the few people on the box I'd buy a drink. Can geriatrics drink?

I have one small drink with lots of ice in it on bingo night. I'll fux wit u but if I have a visitor, you replace the care giver for the evening helping me get to and from my room.

The mechanics on this server are awesome for a classic box, infinitely better than when I first started here. I just like goading the "not classic" stuff and thought it'd be a cool change.

http://imgur.com/3N8dTrh.gif

Yaw, dude's a saint. Don't even have to go into detail about his skills, selflessness and love of the Quest.

Nirgon
10-12-2016, 01:52 PM
God just think of Snackies with his stable of epic humans

Able to see in the dark and shit

Made me double

surron
10-12-2016, 02:21 PM

well its not from 1999 its from 2016 but it's using the 2002 client on TAKP

http://imgur.com/a/wrDtX (no idea how to embed images from imgur anymore)

it's funny cause right after that picture his fire elemental gets into position and his whole screen lights up... i forgot how pets used to be a light source.

props to this guy too for using the classic UI... here's a list of his videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpT8BVtsAK-2lB6RQQiKarvGw82c52PDx

LordRayken
10-12-2016, 06:50 PM

Turn your gamma to 24, dude. The P99 EQ client has really high gamma.

AzzarTheGod
10-12-2016, 07:19 PM
well its not from 1999 its from 2016 but it's using the 2002 client on TAKP

http://imgur.com/a/wrDtX (no idea how to embed images from imgur anymore)

Even the spell effect lighting is noted. Its so classic I have never seen spell lighting like that on P99

paulgiamatti
10-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Also - I could be wrong about this, I haven't tested it - I'm pretty sure when you take a screenshot, the bitmap file it creates will have classic gamma & brightness. If you really want to see what classic would've looked like, change your gamma setting in eqclient.ini to 0 and go take some screenshots.

AzzarTheGod
10-14-2016, 03:47 AM
Yeah but is spell-effect lighting working classic on this server?

I haven't been able to verify. I would guess not because it relies on more than just gamma. That would be pure engine coding that the devs would have to attempt to emulate (which they have done an amazing job at across the board, mind you).

I'd like to see spell effect lighting working to classic par, before we worked on night vision. But that's just me.

Anyone have any input on if item lighting, epic lighting, and fire spell lighting are working correctly?

paulgiamatti
10-14-2016, 06:54 AM
We need Telin / Lord Nilbog / Haynar to weigh in. I'm pretty sure the changes Telin made to particle effects didn't affect lighting or anything, just sizing, positioning, quantity, etc. So I'd assume the engine driving particle and light emitters here is the EQEmu standard - whether or not this is classic, I have no idea.

Also, our post-classic EQ client has a lot more graphical options than the original did, which probably makes a truly classic visual experience practically impossible. Makes me wonder when "Advanced Lighting" was introduced as a client feature.

Jontheripper
10-14-2016, 08:08 AM
My barbarian cant see shit at night, i keep a lantern in inventory at all times.

AzzarTheGod
10-14-2016, 04:45 PM
We need Telin / Lord Nilbog / Haynar to weigh in. I'm pretty sure the changes Telin made to particle effects didn't affect lighting or anything, just sizing, positioning, quantity, etc. So I'd assume the engine driving particle and light emitters here is the EQEmu standard - whether or not this is classic, I have no idea.

Also, our post-classic EQ client has a lot more graphical options than the original did, which probably makes a truly classic visual experience practically impossible. Makes me wonder when "Advanced Lighting" was introduced as a client feature.

Telin whipped ass on that. Deserves another kudos.

Lojik
10-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Telin whipped ass on that. Deserves another kudos.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2178917&postcount=36

lol loved that post, Telin rustlin ppl good

skarlorn
10-14-2016, 06:10 PM
god i fuckin love Telin

Sadre Spinegnawer
10-14-2016, 06:39 PM
No vision penalties and the total uselessness of STA are the two biggest flaws in this allegedly classic server. If the staff wants to really become definitive emulator, those things need to be fixed.\

Someday, some team will take it on. But just finessing the Titanium client, as the p99 team has done, is where we are at.

vision penalties and endurance would fix almost everything wrong with p99.

Zing!

paulgiamatti
10-14-2016, 10:13 PM
P99 already is the definitive EQ emulator, sta is already the most useful stat, and there already are vision penalties - they just aren't as severe as they were during classic-era live.

Sadre Spinegnawer
10-15-2016, 12:34 AM
sta for endurance, is disabled. The yellow bar .. how does that work?

paulgiamatti
10-15-2016, 01:09 AM
sta for endurance, is disabled. The yellow bar .. how does that work?

Well, let's call it endurance for clarity's sake - it was changed from the "stamina bar" to the "endurance bar" post Luclin for that reason.

Only a couple endurance mechanics are working on P99 afaik - jumping depletes endurance, and disciplines deplete endurance. Stamina and endurance aren't related at all, but strength and endurance are - if your endurance falls below 100, your strength decreases. This mechanic is not working on P99, probably because there isn't enough info about how the str reduction is calculated.

Swimming and autoattack are also supposed to deplete endurance - these mechanics are not working on P99 for the same reason. Autoattack is supposed to deplete endurance per swing based on the weapon's weight. Some people cringe at this, but it's not really that big of a deal - you'll still be able to attack once you fall below 100 endurance, you'll just have less str and you won't be able to jump or disc. This would also give the Invigor/Yaulp line spells a purpose.

So falling below 100 endurance is supposed to decrease strength, make you unable to jump, and unable to use disciplines. There is some speculation that falling below 100 endurance also prevents the use of combat abilities like bash, but I played a paladin into the 50s on live from '99 until Kunark and I don't ever recall being unable to bash. Being hungry prevents you from regenerating endurance.

Danth
10-15-2016, 12:00 PM
It should be noted the "invigor" type spells don't work correctly, either. I believe part of the problem amounts to how the endurance pool size isn't a fixed value like stamina should be. When P1999 first opened the staff tried to implement stamina drain. It sucked and they couldn't figure out a way to get it working right on the Titanium client.

Night vision would be fairly classic if the outdoor "auto brightening" that the Titanium client features could be disabled. Indoor zones don't use this; go inside a dungeon like Befallen with no light source as a human if you want to see classic-style darkness. I'm okay with darkness not being all that dark since light sources themselves have a habit of not working correctly on this client, at least on some hardware.

All that being said, the non-classic Titanium client probably gives players the largest day-to-day advantage. Everything from communication to pet management becomes harder if you're stuck with the Classic or even the Velious client. I'm fine with the current client, but purists wax nostalgic for the book-in-the-face days. In-game message boards would be nice though; too bad they don't work here.

Danth