PDA

View Full Version : Why do all female halflings call you "hun"?

Lhancelot
10-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Is there some unwritten rule that when someone plays a female halfling (and to a lesser degree any other female) the player must call you "hun"?

I know this is classic, but you guys (literally) need to stop this. Thank you. :)

xKoopa
10-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Ive noticed this also

Swish
10-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Ever had it from a troll or ogre?

Izmael
10-12-2016, 09:41 AM
I don't understand how a guy can play a female character. I tried and never got past level 1. Just doesn't feel right.

kgallowaypa
10-12-2016, 09:42 AM
I don't understand how a guy can play a female character. I tried and never got past level 1. Just doesn't feel right.

They like the sound effect when a female takes melee damage...

Lhancelot
10-12-2016, 09:57 AM

On other games I found female chars appearance and movements neat, so I could play both female and males but on eq1, I tend to only play males.

Only female I have leveled past 10 on p99 is an iksar female necro. I think the female iksar actually moves better than the male iksar, especially when they run. Male iksars have this weird steppy-toe bounce they run with, and they look stupid from behind with robes on too. The female iksar runs more naturally, and doesn't look stupid in a robe.

Evia
10-12-2016, 10:23 AM
On other games I found female chars appearance and movements neat, so I could play both female and males but on eq1, I tend to only play males.

Only female I have leveled past 10 on p99 is an iksar female necro. I think the female iksar actually moves better than the male iksar, especially when they run. Male iksars have this weird steppy-toe bounce they run with, and they look stupid from behind with robes on too. The female iksar runs more naturally, and doesn't look stupid in a robe.

I totally agree. And Iksar female doesn't really look female. You just get wicked cool face paint and a skinny tail.

maskedmelon
10-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Because the only ones who play female halflings are men who as a lot in general dont really understand women and that is the most convincing language they can think to employ in their deception.

Nixtar
10-12-2016, 10:39 AM
They're addicted to "honey", which over time as they go deeper into their addiction, becomes "hun". It is a very serious problem in Rivervale and has claimed many halfling lives.

Lagaidh
10-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Exactly. My wife plays a female halfling here (sometimes). She doesn't even call me "hun". Probably because she doesn't want me to vomit on her feet, but hey...

Sorn
10-12-2016, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't ever play a halfling, male or female, so I can't tell you. :P

IRL, pet names tend to be a regional thing in the US and I've gotten them a lot from female waitstaff at restaurants where I've lived, which I don't appreciate if the server happens to be younger than me. I don't care if they think I'm cute as the dickens, I don't need a 19-year-old calling me 'sweetie' while taking my order.

What I wanna know is why I get called bro, man, sir, or dude, regardless of the gender of my toon. If I'm on my female cleric or monk, you can call me 'miss', thank you very much. :D

Keary
10-12-2016, 11:39 AM
I always picture the raspy diner waitress whom has stories of being on Whitesnakes tour bus.

Ele
10-12-2016, 11:40 AM
I always picture the raspy diner waitress.

Or Lunch Lady Doris?

Keary
10-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Or Lunch Lady Doris?

Perfect!

Lojik
10-12-2016, 11:51 AM
They're small, so likely afraid of you. They think of you as Attila the hun

Jimjam
10-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Personally I think people should only play their gender/race/class/deity combo that matches their real life configuration, hun.

azeth
10-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Personally I think people should only play their gender/race/class/deity combo that matches their real life configuration, hun.

So the server then populates with a bunch of Agnostic Male Ogre & Troll Warriors

maskedmelon
10-12-2016, 12:09 PM
What I wanna know is why I get called bro, man, sir, or dude, regardless of the gender of my toon. If I'm on my female cleric or monk, you can call me 'miss', thank you very much. :D

It's their way of discretely declaring their heterosexual orientation while simultaneously boasting of the supreme intellect immune to the deception of pretty pixels that has alerted them to your nefarious intent ^^

In short they are worried they might be gay if they mistake another man for a woman ^^

Women aren't concerned with this sort of thing, because unlike men, women do not look at every member of the opposite sex as a likely mate.

snead
10-12-2016, 12:11 PM
i play a female cleric for roleplay reasons.

Spyder73
10-12-2016, 12:12 PM
TARRIN!!!!

azeth
10-12-2016, 12:13 PM
women do not look at every member of the opposite sex as a likely mate.

that would make them wrong. wrong indeed.

myriverse
10-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Don't trust those tricksy halflings. "Hun" is prolly some racial slur.

Jimjam
10-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Don't trust those tricksy halflings. "Hun" is prolly some racial slur.

It stands for hundred centimetres too tall.

Lhancelot
10-12-2016, 02:27 PM
It's their way of discretely declaring their heterosexual orientation while simultaneously boasting of the supreme intellect immune to the deception of pretty pixels that has alerted them to your nefarious intent ^^

In short they are worried they might be gay if they mistake another man for a woman ^^

Women aren't concerned with this sort of thing, because unlike men, women do not look at every member of the opposite sex as a likely mate.

lol this is right also. On other games, while playing female chars I got called "bro", and I instantly recognized this as the guy either letting me know he knew I was a guy playing a female toon, OR he was fishing to see if I would correct him to let him know I was really a female playing a female toon!

I had a buddy on live years ago who only played female toons, and he kept it secret from 99% of the people in the game. he said he got all kinds of free stuff from dudes, and that it was funny how desperate some of them were. I found this a bit disturbing, personally I could never deceive lonely men with a female avatar for gifts.

Obviously "catfishing" was being done way before the movie came out.

Sorn
10-12-2016, 04:29 PM
lol this is right also. On other games, while playing female chars I got called "bro", and I instantly recognized this as the guy either letting me know he knew I was a guy playing a female toon, OR he was fishing to see if I would correct him to let him know I was really a female playing a female toon!

I had a buddy on live years ago who only played female toons, and he kept it secret from 99% of the people in the game. he said he got all kinds of free stuff from dudes, and that it was funny how desperate some of them were. I found this a bit disturbing, personally I could never deceive lonely men with a female avatar for gifts.

Obviously "catfishing" was being done way before the movie came out.

For sure! Actually, there have been a few informal(?) surveys (http://www.nickyee.com/everquest/gender.html) on gender (http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/menwomen.html), gender representation, and genderbending (http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/genderbend.html) within the EverQuest gaming community. The stereotype is what you describe (men playing women to get free stuff from other men, or men who want to look at something 'nice'), but people did it for a lot of different reasons and it's not just men.

It's an interesting topic.

Jimjam
10-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Did they run equivalent studies for class, race and deity bending?

What about facepickpending?

What does it say about me if I choses a face that doesn't match mine IRL?

AzzarTheGod
10-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Ive noticed this also

Even on r99 too. I guess its classic.

Csihar
10-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Exactly. My wife plays a female halfling here (sometimes). She doesn't even call me "hun". Probably because she doesn't want me to vomit on her feet, but hey...

Is your wife female? If so, what's her login name?

AzzarTheGod
10-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Is your wife female? If so, what's her login name?

not cool pal theres somethings u don't mess w/ and a mans wife is 1 of them

Gumbo
10-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Weirdest situation I ever had in the game was between me and female druid. We were both rolling for an item so I said, "Ladies first." and he or she bitched me out saying she wasn't a lady.

I didn't know if I should have answered back with not being a lady in the game or in real life?

Secrets
10-13-2016, 09:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/isfFvOg.jpg

Silken
10-15-2016, 12:21 AM
On my halfling druid, I call most people 'talls' or 'tall'. That better? :D

Lhancelot
10-15-2016, 12:35 AM

lol :p

AzzarTheGod
10-16-2016, 01:47 AM

Secrets came thru on this one.

big_ole_jpn
10-16-2016, 01:57 AM

niceme.me

big_ole_jpn
10-16-2016, 02:01 AM
did the EQ chat system not display certain characters?

i always thought the ) smileys were due to colons being omitted in display, but since i started playing on eqemu i have confirmed that : does display. and yet "girls" still send me "its k hun )".

Is this facet of eq 1999 memetics a sly reference to the rectosigmoid colon of the user having been removed?

86753o9
10-16-2016, 03:50 AM
This server is infested with cybertrannies.

AzzarTheGod
10-16-2016, 04:01 AM
This server is infested with cybertrannies.

its k hun

AzzarTheGod
10-16-2016, 04:40 AM

i always thought the ) smileys were due to colons being omitted in display, but since i started playing on eqemu i have confirmed that : does display. and yet "girls" still send me "its k hun )".

Is this facet of eq 1999 memetics a sly reference to the rectosigmoid colon of the user having been removed?

woke post not sure anyone outside of OT is able to appreciate the level this is on.

Secrets
10-16-2016, 02:23 PM

Yes it is, actually, people started using ) instead of :) because they saw others do it. It was a workaround for an early EQ bug where the last character was cut off in a message... which is stupid, because the parenthesis would be cut off, not the colon.
Others saw people doing those emoticons without a colon. It stuck because they figured it was 'acceptable' in an era where net etiquette was not established for most of the end-users. So they would see someone else do it and assume it was okay to do that.

A lot of EQ players were mainstream D&D players.. who had no idea of the social architecture of newsgroups and IRC servers. Combine that with the AOL age, and EverQuest was basically the melting pot of socially unaccepted people.
It only makes sense that some people would revert to their ways when P99 came out. They all wanted to relive those days and it brought back players that would remember those memetics.

Don't worry about that, though. its k hun )

eisley
10-16-2016, 02:27 PM
I thought it had to do with the fact that, if you type just :) in chat, it will instead display Soandso )

because starting a line with : causes it to "emote" the text

Secrets
10-16-2016, 02:31 PM
I thought it had to do with the fact that, if you type just :) in chat, it will instead display Soandso )

because starting a line with : causes it to "emote" the text

It might be a combination of both. Not sure of its origin, but that seems more likely.

AzzarTheGod
10-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Not sure of its origin

its k hun

big_ole_jpn
10-16-2016, 07:01 PM
standing by that certain characters were not displayed in the early EQ chat system. I recall testing this by sending tells to myself about 2002 when I first got my 2box.

It doesn't rule out the Secrets theory and eisley's too, I'm sure they are both a factor and indeed the only remaining factors now that we have the eqemu chat system. People still use ) for sure.

Swish
10-17-2016, 07:27 AM
Yes it is, actually, people started using ) instead of :) because they saw others do it. It was a workaround for an early EQ bug where the last character was cut off in a message... which is stupid, because the parenthesis would be cut off, not the colon.
Others saw people doing those emoticons without a colon. It stuck because they figured it was 'acceptable' in an era where net etiquette was not established for most of the end-users. So they would see someone else do it and assume it was okay to do that.

A lot of EQ players were mainstream D&D players.. who had no idea of the social architecture of newsgroups and IRC servers. Combine that with the AOL age, and EverQuest was basically the melting pot of socially unaccepted people.
It only makes sense that some people would revert to their ways when P99 came out. They all wanted to relive those days and it brought back players that would remember those memetics.

Don't worry about that, though. its k hun )

I always used =) back then

maskedmelon
10-18-2016, 04:01 PM

lol