PDA

View Full Version : Titanium on Oculus Rift

Izmael
10-17-2016, 03:56 AM
I tried OR yesterday for the first time ever and all I can say is HOLY CRAP. It is amazing.

I'm clueless about the actual tech but wonder if there is any way to run P99 on it?

Immersion, especially on Red (lol), would reach brand new levels.

Swish
10-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Immersion, especially on Red (lol), would reach brand new levels.

The past of gaming with the latest tech, coupled with a warm and welcoming community waiting to help you get started. This is a fine vision, would be great if it works :)

fadetree
10-17-2016, 07:16 AM
You can run a 'view my desktop' app on the oculus, and then run EQ. I did it, was sort of interesting, but you don't get the same kind of 3d feel as you do for a real oculus app.

khanable
10-17-2016, 07:41 AM
You could get it to work but it will look like balls

Izmael
10-17-2016, 09:08 AM
It is time for someone to write an opensource client to P99.

kgallowaypa
10-17-2016, 09:47 AM
I have used Vorpx before on other games but since there is no true first person and ui mods at this time, playing p99 on the oculus will make you feel quite sick (motion from head movements)

khanable
10-17-2016, 09:49 AM
Can head motion be disabled and the device function as a normal screen?

I think PlayStation VR allows this but the quality isn't very good or something

Daldaen
10-17-2016, 09:56 AM
http://s185.photobucket.com/user/Daldaen/media/EQ000070.jpg.html

Why would you need to get any more immersed than this UI?

kgallowaypa
10-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Can head motion be disabled and the device function as a normal screen?

I think PlayStation VR allows this but the quality isn't very good or something

You can, but the inherent problem with that is that your eyes cannot see anything outside the rift headset, so your brain senses motion but your eyes does not register any motion changes. This leads to motion sickness.

Lhancelot
10-17-2016, 10:02 AM
The past of gaming with the latest tech, coupled with a warm and welcoming community waiting to help you get started. This is a fine vision, would be great if it works :)

Just tell me this is you IRL Swish on your sig, this pink dude dancing outdoors at a midday rave... :)

fadetree
10-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Yeah, a new client would be needed, and 3d info would need to be encoded onto 2 different perspectives, one from each eye. These would be fed to the Oculus. The client would need to interface with the Oculus for head movement, etc. The way to go would be to write a Unity client for EQ using the Oculus SDK.

A *LOT* of work would be involved. I don't even know if the art assets could be converted for use with Unity or not...if not, forget it. Even if, it'd be a full scale game client level of effort. Not going to happen.

xKoopa
10-17-2016, 11:01 AM
I bet some nerds will have eq fully functional in a few years

You underestimate the lvl of beard these necks have accomplished

kgallowaypa
10-17-2016, 11:10 AM
There is a way to actually achieve the first person look through the oculus on p99 without modifying the client. Its similar to ppjoy bard kiting by mapping the hold right mouse click to a throttle button to kite perfect circles.

This would only seem feasible in first person scrolled in through the character view and with f10 to hide all ui dialogs until your comfortable..

Using vorpx, you can have the command to hold right click and use the oculus 3d tracking to simulate pitch yaw and roll. However that limits mouse use at all on your character and you can only use key bindings for targeting and spell casting. The gameplay would be clunky for sure and I can only see this as a gimmick in EC tunnel or something like that.

Vorpx is needed as it seems to be the only program that can use the oculus drivers and work within the DirectX applications that do not use oculus support (system shock 2 this works wonders versus newer games with built in support like Elite Dangerous). Vorpx is around $40 EU.

mgellan
10-17-2016, 12:44 PM
There's a client development project in Unity ongoing, see here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35658

Regards,
Mg

Izmael
10-17-2016, 01:03 PM

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Izmael
10-17-2016, 01:06 PM
There's a client development project in Unity ongoing, see here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35658

Regards,
Mg

I'd love to be wrong but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Again, hopefully I'm wrong.

Jimjam
10-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Not really related, but a couple of years ago I visited a friend of mine who had a TV that could force 3d onto things that weren't programed to be 3d. Being a kid of the early 90s I took my Super Nintendo. With it's layered backgrounds Mario was trippy, Mario Kart (kinda 3d) loked garbage, but donkey kong country (3d backgrounds) looked incredible!

I wish we had Star Fox to try. If he still has the tv next time I visit maybe we'll try some other games on emulators.

Anyone played EQ on a 3d TV like this? I guess that is the step under oculus rift.

mgellan
10-17-2016, 01:45 PM
I'd love to be wrong but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Again, hopefully I'm wrong.

People are still working on it as of this month so at least it's still a possibility...

Regards,
Mg

fadetree
10-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I guess it's possible, but man. Really a lot of work there.

Izmael
10-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Writing an EQ client from scratch, even without the assets, would be an absolute buttload mountain of work. BUT, I dunno with all the newer frameworks and engines. Who knows, maybe it's not THAT hard nowadays. Unity EQ unfortunately doesn't seem to go anywhere, just like most stuff with Unity. Hopefully I'm wrong about it when it comes to Pantheon.
Would probably take a dedicated and skilled 3d hacker something like 6 months of full time work to come up with something?

fadetree
10-17-2016, 03:32 PM
I think the success rate is less about Unity itself and more about how badly people underestimate the work involved. Buttload Mountain, indeed. In fact, that's my next toon name.

DevGrousis
10-18-2016, 05:41 PM

hahahaaha

Maelstrom
10-18-2016, 05:56 PM
DMF will be like all:

https://media.giphy.com/media/bl09MDvT4JIWc/giphy.gif