PDA

View Full Version : is the auction site accurate?

Gel Mibson
10-18-2016, 06:58 PM
been trying to buy some things based off the auction site and got responses from several sellers I was trying to negotiate with that the p99auction site is not an accurate representation of what the market rate is for some items.

several people have been telling me that there are people who sway the average price by fake WTS linking items to drive the price down. wasn't sure if he was BSing me or if he was legit.

Jontheripper
10-18-2016, 07:06 PM
I do it all the time personally. The items on wiki.project199o.com are more accurate imo. Dont just look at the average though, look at the 20 or so listings, find the price that appears the most and go with it.

Baler
10-18-2016, 07:06 PM
It's questionable at times. Item value on p99 is a perception.
Then account for the fake sales and people making alts to jack up prices listed there.

Those kind of people will tell you that you're asking too much, Then turn around and spam wts for 12 hours everyday at twice that price.
I know of one person who doesn't play the game other then to TunnelQuest. Meanwhile he's ruining the game for people who actually play the game.

It's not the auction site(s)'s fault though. They just parse what people auction in EC, which doesn't show how much people actually pay for thing.

http://ahungry.com/eqauctions
http://www.p99auctions.com/

Ravager
10-18-2016, 07:35 PM
If you really want to stick it to the tunnelquesters, stop buying and selling shit and play the game.

Swish
10-18-2016, 07:44 PM
If you really want to stick it to the tunnelquesters, stop buying and selling shit and play the game.

Says the guy from the guild who RMT'd for items the day they set foot on Phinny :o

tristantio
10-18-2016, 09:37 PM
On my site (ahungry) I've only ever shown the last 3 unique /auction lines by any given seller, so this helps avoid any one person being able to significantly impact a listing (although I have no way to detect alts also /auctioning the same item).

The wiki is the best representation of long term item value/listing, but as always, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it (and this differs from person to person obviously).

tiadashi
10-18-2016, 09:59 PM
All this stuff was present back in the day minus the auctionsite - people who are interested in "tunnelQuest" spend the time to know the avg price on any given item without auctionsite stuff -

I was a part time "tunnelQuest'r" back in the day as on p99 but allot less now then back in the day - just use the auctionsite/wiki as a basic price if you dont know and go from there

I wouldnt listen to anyone who tries to convince you a price is wrong in the end people pay/sell what they want/willing to

Nuggie
10-18-2016, 10:00 PM
an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it

Lojik
10-18-2016, 11:17 PM
I think it's fairly accurate. Perfect? No, but a lot of the people who say "that site's not accurate" are just trying to rip you off themselves. The wiki is sometimes ok, but look at the last dates that data was entered...a lot of times it's 6+ months old. With big ticket items just do a fair bit of research I guess.

Nilstoniakrath
10-18-2016, 11:55 PM
Players game the site... both ways. Fake traders call out prices both high and low, to fudge the calculations. A lot of the prices are legit, but you need to do a smell test on the data, and not just take it as gospel.

Izmael
10-19-2016, 04:45 AM
Lol @ tunnelquesters "ruining the game" by "jacking prices up".

Fungi 40k
GEBs 1.5k
Sarnak Shield 2k
Ikky BP 8k

Prices SO high

Jimjam
10-19-2016, 07:01 AM
I don't really understand why people get mad at the price they (or other people) are willing to pay for things.

If it's not worth it to you, don't buy it. If enough people agree then the price will come down. If some people value the item more than you then you have no reason to complain; you were out-bidded!

The majority of items in game are still available for you to go out and earn yourself (provided you are willing to put in the time and effort). If you aren't willing to do that then, again, it's not worth it to you so why get mad?

EdTuBrutus
10-19-2016, 08:19 AM
It's not accurate because it has nothing to do with sales. It is not a record of sales. It has no knowledge of the actual price sales are conducted at.

The core problem is that there are a lot of nutty people out there that don't understand that it is just a collection of Offer prices and aren't willing to negotiate or consider that the list of Offer prices on P99 does not contain any evidence of actual sales.

Ravager
10-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Says the guy from the guild who RMT'd for items the day they set foot on Phinny :o
What does this have to do with me?

maskedmelon
10-19-2016, 09:16 AM
It's not accurate because it has nothing to do with sales. It is not a record of sales. It has no knowledge of the actual price sales are conducted at.

The core problem is that there are a lot of nutty people out there that don't understand that it is just a collection of Offer prices and aren't willing to negotiate or consider that the list of Offer prices on P99 does not contain any evidence of actual sales.

Yep and very easy to toy with.

Swish
10-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Prices can't keep inflating if the population is decreasing. Great time to reinvigorate the player base with PvP teams <3

maskedmelon
10-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Great time to reinvigorate the player base with PvP teams <3

I like this ^^

EQBallzz
10-19-2016, 11:47 AM
I think the prices are fairly accurate but it's best to use it as a ballpark guide than an ironclad price. There are exceptions, though. Some item prices are so established that you don't see fluctuation even on the auction site. HQ pelts for example are *almost* always 30p.

thufir
10-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Gotta have some starting point for discussion. p99auction is as good a place as any. I'm always instantly suspicious of anyone who tries to claim they aren't right. How would they know? I'm supposed to trust Random Guy X that he's representing his all-day tunnelquesting to my benefit? If you believe that I have some swampland in Arkansas you might be interested in.

myriverse
10-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Neither site really accounts for haggling done behind the scenes. The prices are just the "sticker price."

Lojik
10-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Neither site really accounts for haggling done behind the scenes. The prices are just the "sticker price."

Of course it doesn't, but it does a fairly good job. Especially for commonly sold items. In theory it could be way off, but is it in practice? Can you give specific examples of where it's way off on average listed price?

I usually find that the people trying to screw you over the most with prices don't advertise the prices, so a site like p99 auctions usually benefits buyers.

Cecily
10-19-2016, 06:51 PM
It hurts me as a trade skiller. Competitors and people selling their old tailored gear cheaply creates a new "going rate" and gets me yelled at when I ask 500-1k more. At a certain point it just becomes unprofitable to make the stuff.

indiscriminate_hater
10-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Check out pages 1-4 for the Canni 4 auction history: http://www.p99auctions.com/Loot/Spell$_Cannibalize_IV

This should give you a good idea of the value of this tool

Baler
10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Check out pages 1-4 for the Canni 4 auction history: http://www.p99auctions.com/Loot/Spell$_Cannibalize_IV

This should give you a good idea of the value of this tool

I remember seeing people trying to sell canni 4 for 100k no joke

Cecily
10-19-2016, 07:43 PM
I have a copy of canni IV if you want for 100k obo.

Freakish
10-19-2016, 08:15 PM
Canni4 was worth 100k before they patched it to drop from more than 3 monsters in game.

EdTuBrutus
10-20-2016, 03:03 AM
Gotta have some starting point for discussion. p99auction is as good a place as any. I'm always instantly suspicious of anyone who tries to claim they aren't right. How would they know? I'm supposed to trust Random Guy X that he's representing his all-day tunnelquesting to my benefit? If you believe that I have some swampland in Arkansas you might be interested in.

The biggest problem Ive come across is that a hell of a lot of people seem to think that P99 is prices so they don't have a conversation at all.

myriverse
10-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Of course it doesn't, but it does a fairly good job. Especially for commonly sold items. In theory it could be way off, but is it in practice? Can you give specific examples of where it's way off on average listed price?

I usually find that the people trying to screw you over the most with prices don't advertise the prices, so a site like p99 auctions usually benefits buyers.
I wasn't trying to discredit any site, just explaining what the list prices represent. I think all are quite accurate and useful tools, especially when watched across time.

Agreed about those who don't advertise prices, too.

Lhancelot
10-20-2016, 10:59 AM
It's fairly accurate except on very rare items where only that item is sold and auctioned by a few people, which is how the the site gets manipulated.

There are some items which are quite uncommon such as a "Staff of Dreaded Gaze", for instance. Due to it rarely being sold this item's price has gone from where the older wiki site which we used to use as a reference for prices show it listed in the past 10 months commonly at 20k.

Now on P99 auction site this same Staff of Dreaded Gaze is up to 47k as it's monthly average price. That's because it's rarely sold, and whoever has been selling it recently are now pricing it at an insane price, knowing that the majority of people buying and selling now use P99 auction site as a reference for prices on items.

Also, P99 auction site can be easily manipulated if an item has not been listed for a month. All it takes is one person to auction that item for any price, and that price automatically becomes the average monthly price on that item.

In a nutshell, the vast majority of items are pretty fairly referenced for their worth, especially when they are auctioned by lots of different people at different times.

There are instances where an item is way off-mark.

Either the off-mark items are extremely rare and so any price can be attached due to it being seldom auctioned, or people deliberately manipulated the price by placing fake WTS auctions to bump up the price on that item.

As the market prices on P99 auction site get more and more manipulated, it will become more important for people to actually know a items worth too.

Which is fine by me. I think that like any skill, one should have to practice and put some effort into it.

This site actually ruins the true bartering system that EQ1 had in the past. Not at all classic here.

You used to have to be familiar with prices via study and time put into the tunnel.

Now, all a player has to do is click to P99 auction site, and get some supposed 100% accurate price that everyone is supposed to honor.

As we have pointed out though, that's not always the case, it's NOT always accurate.

Baler
10-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Item value on p99 is a perception.

I'm upset people don't understand this and some people choose to abuse this.

Lhancelot
10-20-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm upset people don't understand this and some people choose to abuse this.

Baler, you broke forumquesting rule #200334 here with this last post; You never quote yourself in a post and comment on it. You of all people should know this rule. :D