PDA

View Full Version : Population falling?

Dronuspk
11-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Is the P99 apocalypse upon us? This time next year will there be an active 300 people in prime time?

Thule help us. It's over.

thufir
11-03-2016, 07:05 PM
no

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Is the P99 apocalypse upon us? This time next year will there be an active 300 people in prime time?

Thule help us. It's over.

Doom and Gloom troll post 3/10

Dronuspk
11-03-2016, 07:19 PM
This time last year there were 2k. Now only 1.

You call me a troll, I call you a a non-believer. You will see.

Crawdad
11-03-2016, 08:22 PM

This time last year Velious had just came out. We have 500-800 online during non-peak hours and 1000-1250 during peak... seems fine to me.

paulgiamatti
11-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Winter is coming.

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Last year there was 2k, and now 1? I call BS.

Atm, I see 1100 on P99, that's 1.1k. If you seen only 1 (one) on the server you are bugged or not on P99.

P.S. Stop trolling.

Vibrate
11-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Never even seen it close to 2k. Wtf?

Erati
11-03-2016, 08:57 PM
I think Velious launch it hit 2K for that night...

I remember some kind of announcement by big R when we hit that kind of milestone

Dronuspk
11-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Last year there was 2k, and now 1? I call BS.

Atm, I see 1100 on P99, that's 1.1k. If you seen only 1 (one) on the server you are bugged or not on P99.

P.S. Stop trolling. 1 as in 1k, guy.

Movember
11-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I do believe it's probably declining now that the vast majority of the content is released - Velious acts as an endpoint for the server since it's not going into the other expansions.

There's some post-velious content that I think we'll still get but on the whole I bet the population will trend slightly down until a fresh server is released.

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 09:12 PM
1 as in 1k, guy.

I never seen 2k, ever. I did miss Velious launch though. You can't compare that to present times though, if that's what you are doing.

Wait... You are just trolling. Bonk me please. :p

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 09:14 PM
a fresh server is released.

This is the best news ever. Can't wait!

Dronuspk
11-03-2016, 09:24 PM
I never seen 2k, ever. I did miss Velious launch though. You can't compare that to present times though, if that's what you are doing.

Wait... You are just trolling. Bonk me please. :p I think you're a little confused. The end is near and you'd rather fight amongst your own kind. Typical.

Vibrate
11-03-2016, 09:28 PM
to be honest it looks like good pop to me, i remember playing at much lower even during kunark, lot of red people are coming over so beware, but regardless yeah i remember it being constant 800-900 not over 1k

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 09:29 PM
you'd rather fight amongst your own kind. Typical.

Keeps the blood flowing.

Hakubi
11-03-2016, 09:32 PM
I, for one, stick around for the hopes of getting my epic and torpor on my FOTM class. I mean... sure since I have started the scale for my epic alone alone has gone from 45-65k while the actual cash camps like FBSS have dropped from 9k -> 3.8k but... that just makes grinding Grachnist at 3 am for months that much more fun... right? Inflation of low end items and only things out of Seb being worth anything are classic! Low end inflation-high end deflation... that spells fun!

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 09:36 PM
I, for one, stick around for the hopes of getting my epic and torpor on my FOTM class. I mean... sure since I have started the scale for my epic alone alone has gone from 45-65k while the actual cash camps like FBSS have dropped from 9k -> 3.8k but... that just makes grinding Grachnist at 3 am for months that much more fun... right? Inflation of low end items and only things out of Seb being worth anything are classic! Low end inflation-high end deflation... that spells fun!

Yeah it sucks that larger raid guilds sit on the tears, hold them on alts and sell the MQ for it. Used to be 25-30k, now the greedy fucks monopolize them and sell the MQ for 65k. That's classic. Right? :p

Vibrate
11-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Man you guys don't duo trio or do full groups for torpor doing protector? Is it really camped like that with current pop? That shit is easy, pretty quick respawn for its drops, so many things I can teach you blue pals with my return here.

Lojik
11-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Yeah it sucks that larger raid guilds sit on the tears, hold them on alts and sell the MQ for it. Used to be 25-30k, now the greedy fucks monopolize them and sell the MQ for 65k. That's classic. Right? :p

You realize the golems went from 8 hour respawn to 3 day respawn right?

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 10:34 PM
You realize the golems went from 8 hour respawn to 3 day respawn right?

Nope. But how many were banked over the years I wonder. To go from 25k to 65k is a bit extreme, but maybe it's just me.

Just an example of the man holding us down, man! Even on a 17 year old elf sim, held down by the man!

Dronuspk
11-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Nope. But how many were banked over the years I wonder. To go from 25k to 65k is a bit extreme, but maybe it's just me.

Just an example of the man holding us down, man! Even on a 17 year old elf sim, held down by the man!

Why are your thoughts on burly men holding you down when our world as we know it is ending??

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Why are your thoughts on burly men holding you down when our world as we know it is ending??

I don't know. My mind goes to strange places sometimes, especially when facing impending doom.

Slathar
11-03-2016, 10:53 PM
the population is a complete disaster. this box has been out for 7 years and it's been disaster after disaster.

ive created a new population policy. its beautiful. believe me, it's been beautifully reviewed by just about everyone.

Lhancelot
11-03-2016, 11:04 PM
the population is a complete disaster. this box has been out for 7 years and it's been disaster after disaster.

ive created a new population policy. its beautiful. believe me, it's been beautifully reviewed by just about everyone.

Are you doing your best Trump impersonation, or what. Seriously, I can see him saying these exact words the whole time waving his little hands around in front of his body.

Speedi
11-03-2016, 11:05 PM
This time last year the *average* was around 1600 during peak hours. Highest pop blue ever had was 1800-1900. If I recall correctly it was a night we had around 1700 or so that was already playing, it could of been more. Then Rogean repopped the server to see if the server would hit an all time high, and it did.

So OP is somewhat right, pop has dropped some. But it's to be expected, one thing that's certain is all things come to an end

Danth
11-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Nope. But how many were banked over the years I wonder.

Probably not all that many. The tears weren't heavily farmed when the golems were 8 hour spawns and fear raids often left them rot. On top of that, Shaman's one of the most popular classes and nearly all of them get their epic so there's a fair demand to vaccuum up any banked tears that were floating around out there.

------------------------------------------------------

P1999 turned 7 years old last month. For the majority of that seven years the average nightly peak was probably less than it is right now. The server's quite likely past its peak (which occurred at Velious release), but even being a bit over the hill it's still fine for now. The day will eventually come when it isn't fine anymore, and that's okay too. Few folks realistically expect something like this to last forever....If it makes 10 years with a solid population that's a pretty good lifespan for a video game.

Danth

Rhambuk
11-03-2016, 11:54 PM
100 a night max on its best night with global chat.
Those were the days.

Danth should remember global chat. =)

Loke
11-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Most people ever online concurrently was 2083. Server average is just shy of 900. Pre-velious max was under 1600 and average has continued to climb for the entire time I've played here. Server population is fine. If anything, we could probably do with a few less people.

http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverinfo&worldid=787

Spyder73
11-04-2016, 09:38 AM
population seems exactly the same as when I started in 2014 - I would imagine the population will be exactly the same next year also

Daldaen
11-04-2016, 09:48 AM
I hope the population drops down to around 500 and then they enable 2 boxing.

Would be so good being able to box on P99. Don't have to waste time asking for Rezzes, ports and PLs. Can do it all yourself. Save the actual interaction for raid content as it should be $$$.

Freakish
11-04-2016, 09:49 AM

I've personally seen 3+ tears banked on toons people have quit. I've got one on my cleric from pre-velious but one thing that drives price higher than kunark is that you're raising faction for a one time pay off. In kunark I could raise faction and sell tear after tear and the only work I did was a factioning once. Since I can't replace this tear, I'm going to make sure that I make enough plat for it to be worth my time.

eqravenprince
The beauty of EQ is as the population declines generally people band together more. It was a lot of fun back when the server first opened and only a fraction of what we have now. Granted global chat made it feel like there was a ton of people.

QFuzzle
There was a thread awhile ago that had people talking about the populations of servers back in the actual classic days (1999-2001'ish). A lot of them seemed to give numbers between 1800-2500, most of which claimed it was ridiculous finding stuff to kill because of how congested zones were (granted, level distribution was different back then).

That said, maybe we're at a pretty comfortable spot right now. Just enough for some competition here and there, but not to the point where things were at pre-Velious (less zones, less quests, less gear, a lot less raid targets, quite a few guilds clawing and scratching at each other for a single dragon kill).

I see about 1100-1200 people on at peaks hours. 1,200 actual humans. No bots. No boxes (supposedly). I think that's an awesome number.

Vibrate
11-04-2016, 09:52 AM
2k was quite common for popular servers on live, but other expansions opening up helped even the playing field for lvling.

The current pop on blue is about how it was on Rallos zek, maybe a tad bit more on Rallos.

The timeline here is kinda what screwed peoples minds, when velious came out it was like OOOOH AHHH NEW LVLING ZONES WOO

No one likes to lvl Velious over Kunark for the simple fact that xp is better in Kunark. But back then it was amazing and new to people to lvl in Velious.

Izmael
11-04-2016, 10:07 AM
I hope the population drops down to around 500 and then they enable 2 boxing.

Would be so good being able to box on P99. Don't have to waste time asking for Rezzes, ports and PLs. Can do it all yourself. Save the actual interaction for raid content as it should be $$$.

That would be so great. Everyone would run around with an army of boxed toons, everyone would have their own guild !

Then only if we could also have the PoK books, soulbinders, corpse summoners and mercenaries, the server would be perfect. PERFECT.

Alanus
11-04-2016, 10:13 AM
A year ago, I recall the typical peak being about 1500. Right now it's about 1200. Since velious was just released then, it's expected it would be a bit less now. It's been at the current levels for about 8 months now.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 10:19 AM
That said, maybe we're at a pretty comfortable spot right now. Just enough for some competition here and there, but not to the point where things were at pre-Velious (less zones, less quests, less gear, a lot less raid targets, quite a few guilds clawing and scratching at each other for a single dragon kill).

I see about 1100-1200 people on at peaks hours. 1,200 actual humans. No bots. No boxes (supposedly). I think that's an awesome number.

I agree with this. From my standpoint, the population seems fine and doesn't hurt my playing experience.

I can't speak about issues regarding how raid mobs are done now, I am no longer a part of that.

I think the only problems we have on the server are from past and present cheating; duping items, hacking, cheating for plats, general gaming-nerd asshattery that is damaging to the servers economy.

Any problems the server has are not due to server population numbers but either bad raid rules, and/or bad players doing bad things to (in their mind) win.

Essentially most of the bad things I see and read about are from the actual players own doings.

fadetree
11-04-2016, 10:19 AM
That would be so great. Everyone would run around with an army of boxed toons, everyone would have their own guild !

Then only if we could also have the PoK books, soulbinders, corpse summoners and mercenaries, the server would be perfect. PERFECT.

I think allowing 2 concurrent logins would be OK, and it would be sort of 'classic'. It's enough to enable some boxing, but not enough to allow people to ignore each other or shut out prime spots by themselves. I know my Ranger would appreciate having his handy sidekick around, as I did in Live. I still grouped regularly then, but I had an option if I couldn't find one.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 10:22 AM
I think allowing 2 concurrent logins would be OK, and it would be sort of 'classic'. It's enough to enable some boxing, but not enough to allow people to ignore each other or shut out prime spots by themselves. I know my Ranger would appreciate having his handy sidekick around, as I did in Live. I still grouped regularly then, but I had an option if I couldn't find one.

I am happy with no boxing. Boxing would only allow people to be bigger asshats and be even more anti-social and asinine.

Boxing also would ruin the chances for people to get in on certain camps because hardcore nerds would use boxing to do everything solo.

Yeah, screw boxing. Bad idea wanting to let people box.

kotton05
11-04-2016, 10:24 AM
OP you should think long and hard before you try to be Nastradamus. Thanks for confirming you're an autist😹😹

Vibrate
11-04-2016, 10:24 AM
I agree with this. From my standpoint, the population seems fine and doesn't hurt my playing experience.

I can't speak about issues regarding how raid mobs are done now, I am no longer a part of that.

I think the only problems we have on the server are from past and present cheating; duping items, hacking, cheating for plats, general gaming-nerd asshattery that is damaging to the servers economy.

Any problems the server has are not due to server population numbers but either bad raid rules, and/or bad players doing bad things to (in their mind) win.

Essentially most of the bad things I see and read about are from the actual players own doings.

Sorry to burst your bubble but hacking was WAY more relevant on live than here. Sitting with Rogean Image and Devnoob all day in IRC about MQ plugins and GUI offsets. Rogean knows anti-cheat better than anyone because of this. The economy doesnt seem that bad to me looking recently in EC tunnel though i have not played blue in years. I will say though GM and Guide's were alot more common on helping ass hats from ruining game. You could petition and it would be answered pretty quickly (not hating on our staff at all though) they do what they can.

Vibrate
11-04-2016, 10:25 AM
OP you should think long and hard before you try to be Nastradamus. Thanks for confirming you're an autist😹😹

Long time no talk friend :p hope all is well.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but hacking was WAY more relevant on live than here. Sitting with Rogean Image and Devnoob all day in IRC about MQ plugins and GUI offsets. Rogean knows anti-cheat better than anyone because of this. The economy doesnt seem that bad to me looking recently in EC tunnel though i have not played blue in years. I will say though GM and Guide's were alot more common on helping ass hats from ruining game. You could petition and it would be answered pretty quickly (not hating on our staff at all though) they do what they can.

Never said hacking was not prevalent on Live. You are talking to someone that played RZ, SZ, then Zek my entire time on Live and hackers ruined PVP on Live.

I stopped playing eq1 due to hacking, it was so common I couldn't fight anyone anymore who didn't hack it seemed. I know Live had hacks big time.

I am just pointing out from my perspective what I see that has harmed or does harm to P99.

I agree hacks aren't very common here not from what I can tell.

My point is, there have been cheating and issues in the past that have blew the economy up on P99 and much of that is from cheating to get pixels whether it was RMT or duping items etc.

The population number isn't what makes P99's troubles, it's the player's behaviors themselves imo.

kotton05
11-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Long time no talk friend :p hope all is well.

Long time for real. I logged in my red toon recently and was surprised at my gear. Holo treated me well. That old seb battle over trak was awesome.

Vibrate
11-04-2016, 10:42 AM
Long time for real. I logged in my red toon recently and was surprised at my gear. Holo treated me well. That old seb battle over trak was awesome.

Indeed ;) good times

Vandil
11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
On Live, I played between Velious and LDoN. My two mains were a Dark Elf Shadowknight and a Wood Elf Druid. Both characters were on my one account, so I played them individually, trying to group with random people and some friends. My problem was, I couldn't be on all the time, and would often log on and find my friends or regular group member have leveled beyond me. So I spent a lot of time soloing.

When Planes of Power came out, SOE offered a character transfer service between accounts. The game didn't have mercenaries when I played, I bought a second account and moved my druid over to the second account. I had two EQ-capable PCs handy at home, and my 2-boxing solo journey began.

It was a glorious time. No more hassles with hell levels or getting around. And grouping with others, when needed, was fantastic (I supplied pulling/splitting/tanking with my SK, Druid supplied healing, nuking, thorns, evacs). I maxxed both toons in good time and soon did the raid thing.

Eventually I got bored with the raid grind, stopped playing, and moved on.

Fast forward to Project 1999. I created two accounts, one for my SK and one for my Druid, recreating those two toons here. No two-boxing meant soloing each one, but I left hope that one day they might allow two boxing and started the toons on their own accounts for that reason. There was no endgame for these guys. No raiding, probably not even max-leveling. I just wanted to play until I got bored.

I started with the druid first, getting to 15 and got bored. So, I worked on my SK, who was my main interest in Project 1999 nostalgia and found he was more fun. I solo'd him to lv30 and pretty much got tired of being in a hell level and parked him somewhere this past summer waiting for the factions on Gorge mobs to be fixed so I can turn Runnyeye into a support town for killing Misty Thicket guards.

Alas, I just don't have grinding time like I did way back in Live, but who knows, maybe on one random trip to the in-laws, I can sneak in a few hours here and there.

Should Project 1999's population drop enough where the admins change its policy and allow for two-boxing, I might come back more often, reforming my dynamic duo, and grinding out some more levels. Otherwise, no big deal. I'm not a raider. I'm not a platinum-for-profit item camper or MQer. I'm just a guy playing some EQ in spare time.

I was happy to play what I could, when I did. And maybe I'll play some more again soon.

Daldaen
11-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Yea 2 boxing isn't a big deal. Not many valuable camps exist in game anymore with the deflation of items that would suddenly get locked down by a single two-boxer.

Plenty of people happily drop their box from groups and invite solo players too for their boxes slot.

It would make a lower population P99 server more maintainable. Eventually when there's nothing left happening, people will lose interest in Velious, and when this happens zones dry up entirely and groups are harder to fill or impossible to start because of crucial classes missing. That's where a 2nd box comes in.

Not some dumb 6-boxing automated mage nerd, just a melee and his trusty healer squire.

Laugher
11-04-2016, 11:17 AM
population seems exactly the same as when I started in 2014 - I would imagine the population will be exactly the same next year also

This c. 2011.

I doubt p99 is going to suddenly have 2/3 of its people drop off over the next short while. I for one would rather play here vs a lot of legit servers because as a casual it doesn't matter much if new content gets released frequently. As for boxing /shrug :) lots of people banned for it to become legal after so many years.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Yea 2 boxing isn't a big deal. Not many valuable camps exist in game anymore with the deflation of items that would suddenly get locked down by a single two-boxer.

Plenty of people happily drop their box from groups and invite solo players too for their boxes slot.

It would make a lower population P99 server more maintainable. Eventually when there's nothing left happening, people will lose interest in Velious, and when this happens zones dry up entirely and groups are harder to fill or impossible to start because of crucial classes missing. That's where a 2nd box comes in.

Not some dumb 6-boxing automated mage nerd, just a melee and his trusty healer squire.

A lot of theorycrafting here.

There are many ways to view how the server will end up. Who knows?

Maybe as many raiders get tired of velious, players who did not have a chance, or new players coming to P99 will fill those spots up and start raiding?

It's hard to say how long the server will go before population drops drastically. I think if and when that happens, a new server will be on the horizon to start up.

Allowing 2-boxing might be ok on a dead server that has a dwindling population, but as long as the server thrives with a healthy population not having 2-boxing is good imo.

The only reason to allow 2-boxing would be for convenience purposes, like swapping gears or rezzing your dead alt, but I don't like when people use 2 different toons to camp stuff. I think it only hurts the spirit of the game allowing that.

I imagine the guides and Rogean feel this way too. I am happy with how they manage the server in regards to rules on 2-boxing.

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 12:29 PM
OP you should think long and hard before you try to be Nastradamus. Thanks for confirming you're an autist���� Says the one with multiple max levels on a 20 year old elf sim.

Seriously, go outside. Lmfaooo

paulgiamatti
11-04-2016, 12:31 PM
I feel like every year two years are added onto how old EQ is.

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 12:32 PM
I feel like every year two years are added onto how old EQ is. Hope it's the same for your post count too.

Good lord you spend a lot of time on here.

Lojik
11-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Hope it's the same for your post count too.

Good lord you spend a lot of time on here.

Ur on elfsim forum, commenting on how much time people waste on elfsim forum.

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Ur on elfsim forum, commenting on how much time people waste on elfsim forum. 12 posts vs 1400. Good one.

Please people, there is a world outside of Project1999.

Edit: You know, I always laugh when level 60 raiders with over a year play time clocked in says to a mid level "UR ON THIS GAME TOO, YOU CANT SAY SHIT"

I mean seriously, is everyone autistic on here or just the raiders?

paulgiamatti
11-04-2016, 12:43 PM
More or less everyone, with you as a shining example apparently.

maskedmelon
11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
12 posts vs 1400. Good one.

Edit: You know, I always laugh when level 60 raiders with over a year play time clocked in says to a mid level "UR ON THIS GAME TOO, YOU CANT SAY SHIT"

supermad

maskedmelon
11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
More or less everyone, with you as a shining example apparently.

lol

Swish
11-04-2016, 12:48 PM
supermad

you know you rustled someone when they bring up your post count :D

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 12:58 PM
you know you rustled someone when they bring up your post count :D funny you should say that. 15k. Woah.

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 01:01 PM
More or less everyone, with you as a shining example apparently. good1. i dont think you quite understand the situation though, unfortunately.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 01:03 PM
good1. i dont think you quite understand the situation though, unfortunately.

I just am curious if your forum name has anything to do with you IRL. Are you a doctor, and is your name Onus, and did you used to play on Rallos Zek which would make you a PK? :)

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 01:04 PM
I just am curious if your forum name has anything to do with you IRL. Are you a doctor, and is your name Onus, and did you used to play on Rallos Zek which would make you a PK? :) You cracked the case!!

myriverse
11-04-2016, 01:12 PM
funny you should say that. 15k. Woah.
Meh. That only averages about 6-7 a day for Swish. No big deal.

Thulack
11-04-2016, 01:13 PM
I just am curious if your forum name has anything to do with you IRL. Are you a doctor, and is your name Onus, and did you used to play on Rallos Zek which would make you a PK? :)

Where is Baler when you need him. I'm sure he could find something wrong with the name.

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Meh. That only averages about 6-7 a day for Swish. No big deal. If you say so..

kotton05
11-04-2016, 01:21 PM
If you say so..

If we compare post counts into direct correlation with penis size. Swish wins... With you in last place hiding your micro-beta penis.

fadetree
11-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Wow that went full retard fast. Anyway, about the boxing I'm ok either way, I just think allowing 2 wouldn't break anything really. Past that I wouldn't want to see.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 01:34 PM
You cracked the case!!

*nods head knowingly....*

I thought so.

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 01:44 PM
If we compare post counts into direct correlation with penis size. Swish wins... With you in last place hiding your micro-beta penis. Wow... you actually are autistic.

*nods head knowingly....*

I thought so. Was kidding, completely wrong.

Sporkotron
11-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm so glad the people in thread going on and on about how great 2-boxing is will never be in charge of a drive thru window, let alone p99.

I swear lately this forum has turned in to a retard convention. "Durrr.... We should be able to 2-box." "Duuuuhhhh..... I want space cats." "Uuuuuhhh... we ned new server! uh oh I shit myself."

That's all of you, that's how you sound.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm so glad the people in thread going on and on about how great 2-boxing is will never be in charge of a drive thru window, let alone p99.

I swear lately this forum has turned in to a retard convention. "Durrr.... We should be able to 2-box." "Duuuuhhhh..... I want space cats." "Uuuuuhhh... we ned new server! uh oh I shit myself."

That's all of you, that's how you sound.

I am conflicted. On one hand I agree with you. I think 2-boxing is a bad idea like you do. On the other hand, I also think we need a new server.

myriverse
11-04-2016, 02:06 PM
If you say so..
That's less than you've been averaging lately.:p

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Was kidding, completely wrong.

Too late to back out of the truth now. Once you shine the light, what has been revealed can never be hidden again.

Sporkotron
11-04-2016, 02:13 PM
I am conflicted. On one hand I agree with you. I think 2-boxing is a bad idea like you do. On the other hand, I also think we need a new server.

New server splits the population, low population makes EQ suck nuts. Pretty simple.

Might be better for raiders who want less contested camps, but it would be shit for everyone else.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 02:24 PM
New server splits the population, low population makes EQ suck nuts. Pretty simple.

Might be better for raiders who want less contested camps, but it would be shit for everyone else.

You got to account for other details that would occur with a new server starting up.

How many new people would come knowing a new server was starting? How many old players would come back knowing they had a chance to start fresh again? How many established players on the old P99 server would go?

So many other pieces to the equation you have to consider other than the assumption a new server would lessen the total population of all servers involved.

No way in knowing that either, exactly how many would split from one to a new server...

I think it's more complicated than just saying, "New server = less populated server = bad EQ for all."

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Might be better for raiders who want less contested camps, but it would be shit for everyone else. Agree'd. We don't need a new server.

And no boxing either, wth?

Thulack
11-04-2016, 02:34 PM
You got to account for other details that would occur with a new server starting up.

How many new people would come knowing a new server was starting? How many old players would come back knowing they had a chance to start fresh again? How many established players on the old P99 server would go?

So many other pieces to the equation you have to consider other than the assumption a new server would lessen the total population of all servers involved.

No way in knowing that either, exactly how many would split from one to a new server...

I think it's more complicated than just saying, "New server = less populated server = bad EQ for all."

and how many of those people would quit when they realized its the same as p99 is now. Hardcores will have everything locked down and casuals will be wanting to do things that they missed.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 02:39 PM
and how many of those people would quit when they realized its the same as p99 is now. Hardcores will have everything locked down and casuals will be wanting to do things that they missed.

It's that way now. You can't escape the struggle between hardcores and casuals anyway.

What would change is the dynamics of the server such as economy, and a bustling server population that always comes with a new server on any game.

Sure, over time the new server would grow wrinkled and old, just like we people do... but young and fresh is always exciting.

A new server wouldn't hurt anything.

Sporkotron
11-04-2016, 02:39 PM

You seem to think that there are people interested in classic EQ who aren't already playing on p99 and that a new server would convince them to play on p99.

There aren't. There are a lot of people on this forum that think there are tons of people like them who are far enough along the spectrum to keep tabs on p99 but refuse to play on it because reasons. But that is like half a dozen malcontent shut ins who think they number in the hundreds.

Everyone who is interested is already playing, nobody is coming back for a new server, nobody would take interest if they already haven't just because a new server started up.

Sporkotron
11-04-2016, 02:43 PM
....and a bustling server population that always comes with a new server on any game.

In what fucking universe is this statement even remotely true?

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 02:45 PM
You seem to think that there are people interested in classic EQ who aren't already playing on p99 and that a new server would convince them to play on p99.

There aren't. There are a lot of people on this forum that think there are tons of people like them who are far enough along the spectrum to keep tabs on p99 but refuse to play on it because reasons. But that is like half a dozen malcontent shut ins who think they number in the hundreds.

I don't think it, I just don't discount it.

Sporkotron
11-04-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't think it, I just don't discount it.

I do because there is not even a shred of evidence to back up that wishful thinking.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 02:51 PM
In what fucking universe is this statement even remotely true?

I am just saying you can't discount all other factors just because they don't suit your argument.

It's impossible to predict or know for certain what would happen if a new server was to start up.

kotton05
11-04-2016, 03:07 PM
There are people stumbling upon p99 at least once a week or so. Idk if there is enough of an influx to justify a server split.

maskedmelon
11-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I know EXACTLY what would happen if a new server started up.

I would have 13 manastones and form an all paladin guild.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 03:15 PM
I know EXACTLY what would happen if a new server started up.

I would have 13 manastones and form an all paladin guild.

I don't even know where manastones came from tbh. :p

fadetree
11-04-2016, 03:19 PM
evil eyes in guk, IIRC

maskedmelon
11-04-2016, 03:21 PM
I don't even know where manastones came from tbh. :p

It's a secret to everybody.

^^

Sporkotron
11-04-2016, 03:35 PM
I am just saying you can't discount all other factors just because they don't suit your argument.

It's impossible to predict or know for certain what would happen if a new server was to start up.

Its impossible to predict if I'm going to get abducted by aliens on my way to work today, or not. But given the evidence I've seen, I can be fairly certain that no, I won't be abducted by aliens on my way to work today.

Servers: same thing. No, I can't predict with 100% accuracy what would happen with a new server, but given that there is no evidence whatsoever of tons of people waiting in the wings to play on a new p99 server outside of the about half a dozen malcontents who hang around these forums for reasons. Its a very safe bet that starting a new server would only serve to split the population.

stormlord
11-04-2016, 03:42 PM
It eventually has to decline, for a lot of reasons. No matter how good a game is, you eventually will tire of it. Same stuff every day with a different coat of paint just doesn't do it. You're human afterall.

I know because I played EQ for years and years. I've played so many games I should be dead already. But I know they all get boring. Your eyes literally bleed until you stop. Some you revisit. Some you don't.

A fresh server would help, but realistically it just delays hte inevitable. That doesn't mean we should just quit because for many of you this game is still worth playing. So what're they waiting for? Create another server already. It could possibly be a $$$ thing. How much does it cost to do a server? Or are they concerned about splitting the population? Well they shouldn't be, with so many high levels on the server splitting it would actually be a good thing.

BUT I think if the population falls below ~500, global chat should be reintroduced. There're some things in EQ1 which work against it if the populations falls too low or gets too high. It's not a very flexible system. This is why EQ1 changed so dramatically over the years. It wasn't designed from the start to adjust itself to circumstances. On the downside, these necessary changes were mixed with others not so necessary and it got ruined.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Its impossible to predict if I'm going to get abducted by aliens on my way to work today, or not. But given the evidence I've seen, I can be fairly certain that no, I won't be abducted by aliens on my way to work today.

Servers: same thing. No, I can't predict with 100% accuracy what would happen with a new server, but given that there is no evidence whatsoever of tons of people waiting in the wings to play on a new p99 server outside of the about half a dozen malcontents who hang around these forums for reasons. Its a very safe bet that starting a new server would only serve to split the population.

I get your point. I also think comparing the possibility of you being abducted by aliens while going to work to the success of a new P99 server is a bit of a stretch. :D

maskedmelon
11-04-2016, 03:57 PM

Yeah, we've been playing with the same 1000 nerds for 7 years. There has always been 1000. There has never been more and there has never been less. They all play here, none have ever quit or taken a break. We don't do that. And there are no new players out there lol. They're all here.

Simple fact is Velious is the best era and there is no reason to assume that anyone (even if they had quit, which we know nobody has) might return, or even start for the first time (they'd already be here, this is Velious!) could possibly want to join a new server where you can't buy items that trivialize all old world content for 100pp at level 10.

Why anyone would think a new server could increase overall p99 population is beyond me.

big_ole_jpn
11-04-2016, 04:01 PM
^high quality post

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Yeah, we've been playing with the same 1000 nerds for 7 years. There has always been 1000. There has never been more and there has never been less. They all play here, none have ever quit or taken a break. We don't do that. And there are no new players out there lol. They're all here.

Simple fact is Velious is the best era and there is no reason to assume that anyone (even if they had quit, which we know nobody has) might return, or even start for the first time (they'd already be here, this is Velious!) could possibly want to join a new server where you can't buy items that trivialize all old world content for 100pp at level 10.

Why anyone would think a new server could increase overall p99 population is beyond me.

MM weaves sarcasm like an old grandmother knits a cotton sweater.

I wish I could do it so good. :(

Vibrate
11-04-2016, 04:12 PM
2k was quite common for popular servers on live, but other expansions opening up helped even the playing field for lvling.

The current pop on blue is about how it was on Rallos zek, maybe a tad bit more on Rallos.

The timeline here is kinda what screwed peoples minds, when velious came out it was like OOOOH AHHH NEW LVLING ZONES WOO

No one likes to lvl Velious over Kunark for the simple fact that xp is better in Kunark. But back then it was amazing and new to people to lvl in Velious.

/thread

people level also in the most common zones, use to playing red so I know diff hotspots, which I find quite funny I just started and grinding fast with no gear. i wont stand in line for a hour for a group i refuse.

stormlord
11-04-2016, 04:17 PM

This one is so worth repeating. Imagine 4 years of this if Trump wins. It'll be so great you won't believe it.

Donald Trump 'I'm very highly educated. I Know Words, I Have The Best Words'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UIE_MRAhEA

alphys
11-04-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't care about mana stones and other shit, I just want to feel like a cool guy with a screaming mace and spirit of wolf.

I played on release and quit shortly after kunark before picking it up again post velious, and I really miss the heavy bottom end with a few at the top.

Not even caring about a healthy population, I just want a new server with even 300 people on it with the level of dedication and stability p99 has provided

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Pre-Kunark, 1000 people would be pretty good. Velious though? It's not that great. I think people forget just how many active players there were on every server on Live back in the day...

stormlord
11-04-2016, 04:39 PM
I want to add--again--this server has been around for 6--coming on 7-- years. It has been through 2 expansions. Live went through 10 expansions in that same time period. Because no single expansion entirely replaced those before it, live gave high levels more room and hence less fighting over camps. On p1999 there's an abundance of high levels fighting over a handful of camps. If you can't see this as a problem then maybe you don't understand how content can be overrun? Too many is just as bad as too few. EQ--like most MMORPGs--becomes topheavy over time.

The Ruins of Kunark (up thru 60) (Mar 1999--I joined on the 21st)
The Scars of Velious (up thru 60)
The Shadows of Luclin (up thru 60 with AA addition)
The Planes of Power (up thru 65)
The Legacy of Ykesha (up thru 65)
Lost Dungeons of Norrath (up thru 65)
Gates of Discord (up thru 65)
Omens of War (up thru 70)
Dragons of Norrath (up thru 70)
Mines of Gloomingdeep (up thru 15 or 20)--the new tutorial
Depths of Darkhallow (up thru 70) (Mid to Late 2005)

Note live leveraged the increased number of zones by utilizing luclin portals, pok books, guild lobby, gate potions and other. If they'd chosen to instead manufacture travel by 1999 standards then it would have been too slow. Grouping is strongly linked to travel speed, despite a global chat being there. None of this is surprising.

In newer iterations of EQ, almost all of the high levels are concentrated in a single expansion. This is made possible for several reasons. Instances are the most important. Secondly, the population is generally lower. I think it's rare for a modern server to host 1500+ unique IPs--usually a good chunk of players are boxing. Lastly, I think another reason is necessity. They just can't afford to manage content over several expansions as they did in prior years.

Vibrate
11-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Pretty much sums it up like I was saying ^^

Vigilance
11-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Instances are terrible. They turn an MMO into a game that might as well be a private server with 20 people on it.

Tasslehofp99
11-04-2016, 09:05 PM
12 posts vs 1400. Good one.

holy shit this guy is mad as hell LOL

Dronuspk
11-04-2016, 10:25 PM
holy shit this guy is mad as hell LOL

Tasslehof - 60 Druid
Barlow - 60 monk
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 57 (soon to be 60!) Cleric

woah.

Salamarr
11-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Probably not all that many. The tears weren't heavily farmed when the golems were 8 hour spawns and fear raids often left them rot. On top of that, Shaman's one of the most popular classes and nearly all of them get their epic so there's a fair demand to vaccuum up any banked tears that were floating around out there.

------------------------------------------------------

P1999 turned 7 years old last month. For the majority of that seven years the average nightly peak was probably less than it is right now. The server's quite likely past its peak (which occurred at Velious release), but even being a bit over the hill it's still fine for now. The day will eventually come when it isn't fine anymore, and that's okay too. Few folks realistically expect something like this to last forever....If it makes 10 years with a solid population that's a pretty good lifespan for a video game.

Danth

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/139147011084648448/244288583572127744/unknown.png

SirAlvarex
11-05-2016, 03:49 AM
Pre-Kunark, 1000 people would be pretty good. Velious though? It's not that great. I think people forget just how many active players there were on every server on Live back in the day...

1k before Kunark was awful. That was way too high of a population for old world zones. 600 was more manageable.

Also p99 used to see days of 350 primetime pop for months before the Kunark release. 1k looks super healthy in comparison .

Lhancelot
11-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Instances are terrible. They turn an MMO into a game that might as well be a private server with 20 people on it.

This whole debate doesn't matter one bit because they would never implement instances on p99 anyway. It's better to cross bridges when you get to them.

Swish
11-05-2016, 11:19 AM
1k before Kunark was awful. That was way too high of a population for old world zones. 600 was more manageable.

Also p99 used to see days of 350 primetime pop for months before the Kunark release. 1k looks super healthy in comparison .

This is true, sometimes Mistmoore was a "bring your own group" kind of zone...and City of Mist also during early Kunark

Lunababy
11-05-2016, 03:57 PM
The server is destined to die eventually. It's a progression-based MMO with no additional content. That's how the formula works: pump in content, receive $. Don't do that, and it dies.

QFuzzle
11-05-2016, 05:08 PM
The server is destined to die eventually. It's a progression-based MMO with no additional content. That's how the formula works: pump in content, receive $. Don't do that, and it dies.

Generally speaking, that formula is accurate; but I think EQ is a bit of an outlier in that regard. EverQuest made such an impact on the MMO scene in its early years, as well as on people (and their children), that its life in this state (classic, Kunark, and Velious) doesn't need money or added content to last a long time (even if some of us wish Luclin and PoP were a thing here).

Lots of companies use the content for $ formula, but still end up with a dead server (like, ghost town or shut down). EQ captivated peoples' hearts, for better or for worse, and considering so much of the game is based on meeting and communicating with people, and many people who played when they were younger didn't get to "finish" the game, there's still plenty of time left that people will come and go. Folks play with their friends and family, and the game gets passed on through the generations (literally).

Lhancelot
11-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Folks play with their friends and family, and the game gets passed on through the generations (literally).

Grandpa played Everquest and passed it on to his son (my father), and when I was of the readied age my father passed Everquest on to me. One day I shall pass Everquest on to my son, and the tradition shall never end. My family lineage consists of Everquesters since the dawn of time, in fact.

Vibrate
11-05-2016, 06:23 PM
best bet is make people wait 5 more years with a promise of luclin then 10 more for PoP because who doesnt like PoP??? Farm BoT all day everyday for about 5 years then sit back in our 50's braindead.

Lhancelot
11-05-2016, 06:36 PM
best bet is make people wait 5 more years with a promise of luclin then 10 more for PoP because who doesnt like PoP??? Farm BoT all day everyday for about 5 years then sit back in our 50's braindead.

Sounds like a great plan. :D

QFuzzle
11-06-2016, 05:39 AM
Grandpa played Everquest and passed it on to his son (my father), and when I was of the readied age my father passed Everquest on to me. One day I shall pass Everquest on to my son, and the tradition shall never end. My family lineage consists of Everquesters since the dawn of time, in fact.

May Fippy's legend never die..

Thulack
11-08-2016, 12:48 PM
It's that way now. You can't escape the struggle between hardcores and casuals anyway.

What would change is the dynamics of the server such as economy, and a bustling server population that always comes with a new server on any game.

Sure, over time the new server would grow wrinkled and old, just like we people do... but young and fresh is always exciting.

A new server wouldn't hurt anything.

How many people do you think want a classic EQ and arent playing on P99 already? All a new server would do is split the population on blue and add some new(some old and probably not even worth it to the community to get back anyway) people.

Lhancelot
11-08-2016, 01:23 PM
How many people do you think want a classic EQ and arent playing on P99 already? All a new server would do is split the population on blue and add some new(some old and probably not even worth it to the community to get back anyway) people.

Bongs, I miss you. Just seeing your iksar parked at ec tunnel gave me a sense of structure in my life that has not existed sense you stopped logging in. Why did you leave. :(

Sporkotron
11-08-2016, 01:27 PM

Because new server feels are worth borking the perfectly fine server in his opinion, and even though there isn't a shred of evidence that there are people interested in playing p99 that aren't already, he's not willing to say those people don't exist.

Just like people who aren't willing to say Bigfoot doesn't exist, because outside is so big.

Lhancelot
11-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Just like people who aren't willing to say Bigfoot doesn't exist, because outside is so big.

I agree with this. ^

dbouya
11-09-2016, 10:59 PM
population has been steady for many years. special events have caused it to spike, but that doesn't mean that spike somehow means a decline other times.

Ganjar
11-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Like at 1200 to 1300 when i trying to camp nobles 'll. Wish it would

Jimjam
11-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Was 289 online on blue recently one morning (9 of which were in South Ro)!

A1rh3ad
11-15-2016, 09:27 PM
Didnt they just do a massive ban between this year and last too?

Pumpedup
11-15-2016, 09:49 PM
yep, we need another banwave to improve server integrity

Swish
11-16-2016, 02:12 AM
yep, we need another banwave to improve server integrity

Has been a while since a ban wave followed by a reminder about RMTing hasnt it?

Priceline
11-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Has been a while since a ban wave followed by a reminder about RMTing hasnt it?

Christmas is approaching!

A1rh3ad
11-17-2016, 03:35 AM
Christmas is approaching!

Gotta be careful not to ban generous people thinking that they are sellers. Wouldn't that be a messed up scenario XD

Swish
11-17-2016, 05:31 AM
I trust Braknar to stroke his beard and use his judgement accordingly, smite them down where applicable... keep it clean 2017