PDA

View Full Version : topic: more content, addition expansions

Topgunben
11-18-2016, 04:58 PM
let me start off by saying i like p99, the staff, the community etc. its been a great experience so far.

all that said, i often read on the forums about a need for additional content beyond Velious. I am here to say that the problem is not with how much content there is in the game through Velious, but the fact that the folks complaining neckbearded, poopsocked, hotpocketed, foodstamped, turbboboxed, RMT'd and exploited their way through said content.

Maybe if the game was played casually or for heavens sake at least took second priority to something else, there wouldnt be such a need for additional content.

go ahead, disagree with me. Oh but before you do, ask yourself, "on average, how many hours do i play a week?"

Muggens
11-18-2016, 05:07 PM
While I agree with you I think youd been better off posting this in one of the thrillion "new content" threads.

fadetree
11-18-2016, 08:16 PM
good lord. Hey, I know, maybe if gravity worked the opposite of what it does now we could ski uphill.

What is the point of this post? To tell people to stop complaining? To tell them to play casually? You'll have better luck waiting for gravity to reverse.

I can't actually disagree with you, because I can't tell wtf you mean. Are you for or against new content? Either way, as was mentioned above, there are literally hundreds of posts on that exact subject. Maybe thousands.

Swish
11-18-2016, 08:38 PM
This is exactly what the OP is talking about - talk sense and people reply with shitty comments. If he's not a regular forum user he probably isn't aware of how many "guys I've got an idea" threads have come and gone.

The sad thing is that the raid scene here is a little toxic, the lawyerquesting is no fun for anyone and we have to develop a thick skin to continue to enjoy the end game.

I welcome custom content - I'll write in some quest lines if they want writers and ideas...whether its level 1 quests or some great stuff for the 60s out there that'll take them more time than getting their Velious rings or difficult epics finished. There's some great potential for custom content/quests - one of the challenges will be letting everyone have access to it equally and not bottlenecking, especially at lower levels.

sacman08
11-18-2016, 08:45 PM
This is a tough decision either way, they have to go with expansions like live EQ with minimal fixes and the way the game goes downhill or do like some other EQEmu servers and have original content thereby alienating people that want just play EQ like they remember it (Classic!).

fragmaster
11-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Why even talk about it? They're going up to patch complete Velious. Then we're getting a Green server. Then, maybe, if the Devs feel like it, custom content. That's the plan. Don't like it? Go away! It's not our sandbox, we just play in it.

Pumpedup
11-18-2016, 08:53 PM
whats a green server

fragmaster
11-18-2016, 08:55 PM
P99 with an authentic timeline. When it runs through to the end of the cycle all characters will be dumped into blue and another Green server will start up. At least, that's my understanding.

Gundanium
11-18-2016, 09:33 PM
<3 Luclin and would love to play it under the structure of P99.

Lunababy
11-18-2016, 09:46 PM
If I wanted additional content that continuously invalidated the effort and achievements that I had already obtained then I would play WoW. I don't.

Swish
11-18-2016, 09:59 PM
If I wanted additional content that continuously invalidated the effort and achievements that I had already obtained then I would play WoW. I don't.

the alternative is to level each class to 60 ^^

fadetree
11-18-2016, 10:30 PM
This is exactly what the OP is talking about - talk sense and people reply with shitty comments. If he's not a regular forum user he probably isn't aware of how many "guys I've got an idea" threads have come and gone.

The sad thing is that the raid scene here is a little toxic, the lawyerquesting is no fun for anyone and we have to develop a thick skin to continue to enjoy the end game.

I welcome custom content - I'll write in some quest lines if they want writers and ideas...whether its level 1 quests or some great stuff for the 60s out there that'll take them more time than getting their Velious rings or difficult epics finished. There's some great potential for custom content/quests - one of the challenges will be letting everyone have access to it equally and not bottlenecking, especially at lower levels.

Aside from the irony of having Swish lecture me on posting, I honestly could not tell what he was talking about. If he was talking sense it went right by me. Was he saying "we need custom content", or "people shouldn't complain", or "people should not play hardcore", or what?

Pumpedup
11-19-2016, 01:10 PM
wtb luclin velious is shit

Sporkotron
11-19-2016, 01:34 PM
The whole draw of this server is that it doesn't go past Velious. Anyone who wants it to be anything else is just missing the point.

paulgiamatti
11-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I dunno why people keep resurrecting the custom content thing. I guess there is a shitton of interest in it, and maybe that momentum will accumulate into something eventually, but I think people are forgetting nilbog's MO - this is his world. He made these servers to recreate a very specific thing, and as he's said before he doesn't really care how many people play here. He's just gonna do his thing, and if people wanna play then people can play.

It's not like after Velious is all said and done he's just gonna peace out and hand the reins over to whoever wants them. Although, it would be cool if the P99 source was eventually made public, if/when he ever does decide to peace out and retire from EQEmu, so that all you nerds with a million terrible custom content ideas can use it to make your own servers.

Pumpedup
11-19-2016, 03:15 PM
There has never been a luclin classic server or i would play it

i have no idea why so many shit projects do either kunark or velious

once you get a few pieces of raid gear theres NOTHING TO DO

i get how most people cant handle pop, flags and encounters are alot harder and most want to keep it light

luclin offers even more casual raid options and great gear without a huge zerg guild.

AA points keep 60s online and pvping and the focus effects + c3 make eq gr8

luclin 2017

rocsha
11-19-2016, 03:29 PM

i get how most people cant handle pop, flags and encounters are alot harder and most want to keep it light

luclin offers even more casual raid options and great gear without a huge zerg guild.

luclin 2017

/agree

Sporkotron
11-19-2016, 03:33 PM

luclin 2017

Go start your own server, its never going to happen on p99. Rogean is 100% onboard with the indisputable fact that Luclin is dogshit.

You should feel ashamed at how bad your opinion is.

Pumpedup
11-19-2016, 03:55 PM
i think you are dogshit

rollin5k
11-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Insulting people in server chat, ban worthy

Izmael
11-19-2016, 04:25 PM
don't pay attention to village idiots

Lhancelot
11-19-2016, 04:27 PM
While we bringing up dead horses and stupid topics, I just want to add; Bring back P99 auctions site please. Thanks.

paulgiamatti
11-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Rogean is 100% onboard with the indisputable fact that Luclin is dogshit.

Rogean is just a talking head at this point, it doesn't really matter what he thinks.

Lhancelot
11-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Rogean is just a talking head at this point, it doesn't really matter what he thinks.

How dare you bite the hand that feeds you.

paulgiamatti
11-19-2016, 05:01 PM
It's true though - he doesn't do any development stuff anymore. I'm sure anyone on the development team has more of a say in the future of the server than he does.

But yeah Luclin blows and it ain't gonna happen. The couple decent things about Luclin don't make up for how generally shitty the whole thing is. From a casual point of view stopping at Velious just makes more sense. People will get sick of Velious content and play something else - that's healthy, the population will organically stabilize itself. The insane neckbeards in A/A will eventually stop blocking everyone else out of pixels and making the raid scene a miserable place (I'm being optimistic here, bear with me). More end-game content will open itself up to guilds that don't pride themselves on sociopathy like those in CSG, Rustle, et al. Some people may even rediscover real life and the outdoors - fewer will suffer from a severe vitamin D deficiency.

Lhancelot
11-19-2016, 05:07 PM
It's true though - he doesn't do any development stuff anymore. I'm sure anyone on the development team has more of a say in the future of the server than he does.

But yeah Luclin blows and it ain't gonna happen. The couple decent things about Luclin don't make up for how generally shitty the whole thing is. From a casual point of view stopping at Velious just makes more sense. People will get sick of Velious content and play something else - that's healthy, the population will organically stabilize itself. The insane neckbeards in A/A will eventually stop blocking everyone else out of pixels and making the raid scene a miserable place (I'm being optimistic here, bear with me). More end-game content will open itself up to guilds that don't pride themselves on sociopathy like those in CSG, Rustle, et al. Some people may even rediscover real life and the outdoors - fewer will suffer from a severe vitamin D deficiency.

lol well, being mighty opitimistic here. I think even if people quit P99, the ones who quit out of boredom will simply move onto other MMOs to get their neckbeard on. I guess in the end for the most part, I agree with you. The only part I have to disagree with is seeing less of these guys suffering from vitamin D deficiency.

Boyblunder
11-19-2016, 06:36 PM
My take is PoP was the expansion that fundamentally changed EQ. As a warrior I liked Luclin, VT and Ssra were great. If you removed a few zones like the Nexus and Bazaar from Luclin you would add a lot of content and keep the community inter-dependent on travel and trade which is important to me. Like a previous poster stated , this isn't may playbox, been playing 9 months and having a real good time.

zati
11-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Custom zones? I would like

1. 3rd zone past Lower Guk. Maybe add a zoneline/hallway inside the live side keep that opens up to a lvl 53+ dungeon.

2. A lvl 28-45 dungeon accessible from Steamfont. Minotaur only dungeon. This would help how congested MM/Unrest is.. tons of lfg pond/fireplace sitting around. Plus side would be it'll be a few zones way.

3. Add another zone in najena/befallen with same concepts.. alot of pits/mazes/key gathering from nameds

I honestly wish they didn't even make Luclin.. instead they could have further the depth of original content and kept max lvl players within the same distance as low lvl players.

Pumpedup
11-19-2016, 07:17 PM

its funny people said that about nihilum too, and they didnt stop killing stuff on spawn until the leader was banned

Lhancelot
11-20-2016, 12:51 AM
its funny people said that about nihilum too, and they didnt stop killing stuff on spawn until the leader was banned

Lilgyno got banned? :(

Swish
11-20-2016, 02:54 AM
I just want to add; Bring back P99 auctions site please. Thanks.

Ask the owner if you can buy it?

heartbrand
11-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Rogean

Izmael
11-20-2016, 08:41 PM
While we bringing up dead horses and stupid topics, I just want to add; Bring back P99 auctions site please. Thanks. Why? Weren't you happy when they went down?

Brontus
11-20-2016, 09:28 PM

Solution: Why not keep the good parts of Luclin and get rid of the bad parts?

Keep the new zones, the updated zones, the AA's, the new Beastlord class but do not implement the bazaar, the new character models.

Why does everything have to be all or nothing?

There is just not enough content to satisfy everyone. As time progresses, more people are reaching the level cap and competing for the same amount of content which is fixed. That's a recipe for disaster.

Expansion are an integral part of the MMORPG experience. There is not one ongoing MMO today that is not continually expanding.

I'm getting sick and tired of people who are against further expansions lecturing the rest of us to "go outside and get some sunlight". That's just a clever version of the old "if you don't like it quit" fallacy that has been used for years by Internet troll. You are better than that, so please stop using it.

Old Prexus
11-20-2016, 09:36 PM
I would love some new content, if done with the spirit of classic'ishness. If they don't, then they can look my 7 small children in the eyes and tell them that Jaggedpine forest will be the last new zone.... because I won't fucking do it. I've already disapointed them once before and I aint goin' back there again. not never.

Lhancelot
11-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Why? Weren't you happy when they went down?

I had a change of heart.

I always recognized the pros and the cons, but seeing how clueless people are now with retarded prices on items and total ineptitude when it comes to how to communicate a deal when they aint sure what an item is worth, I wish the damn site was back up.

People obviously need their hands held through every facet of the game, including buying/selling in EC.

Old Prexus
11-20-2016, 09:44 PM
I had a change of heart.

I always recognized the pros and the cons, but seeing how clueless people are now with retarded prices on items and total ineptitude when it comes to how to communicate a deal when they aint sure what an item is worth, I wish the damn site was back up.

People obviously need their hands held through every facet of the game, including buying/selling in EC.

Darn friend, you sure sound smart in contrast to the said dumb people. Well done.

paulgiamatti
11-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Solution: Why not keep the good parts of Luclin and get rid of the bad parts?

Keep the new zones, the updated zones, the AA's, the new Beastlord class but do not implement the bazaar, the new character models.

I mean, I don't disagree with you, but having a degree of insight into EQEmu development I tend to sympathize with the decision to just say no. Things that sound easy on paper are usually the most difficult and time-consuming to implement. A proposal such as this would easily take years of unpaid, grueling development.

Why does everything have to be all or nothing?

And again, it seems counterintuitive, but all or nothing is orders of magnitude easier than whittling the stock product down to what P99ers find palatable. That's why P99 is sort of a one-of-a-kind thing: no one else has had the patience to spend the inordinate amount of time or the know-how to remove and alter content to accurately represent the game as it was/the expansions as they were when originally launched.

There is just not enough content to satisfy everyone. As time progresses, more people are reaching the level cap and competing for the same amount of content which is fixed. That's a recipe for disaster.

It's a recipe that will necessarily create a revolving-door playerbase as new people discover the server, and as people tire of the game and move on. P99 already reached its terminal top-mass during the five years of Kunark. We've already seen "disaster", and we're still experiencing it. It's a hyper-competitive, Balkanized raid scene that required and destroyed the R/C class/rotation system while fostering absurdly unhealthy, toxic playstyles that coerce people to stare down the entirety of 16-hour windows using screenshare.

That's what bottom-up has gotten us - that's the P99 playerbase. The P99 staff already tried to intervene and do top-down bureaucracy during Kunark, and fucking morons in guilds like BDA set an ultimatum for the raid scene: solo kill Gorenaire with your guild to be a part of the R/C system, or we're going FFA. The raid scene said "fuck you", so it went FFA. And here we are. Raiding on P99 blows goblin cock, news at 11.

Expansion are an integral part of the MMORPG experience. There is not one ongoing MMO today that is not continually expanding.

I mean, again, this is nilbog's world - he literally gives zero fucks about pleasing a playerbase, and why should he? People keep forgetting this. Go to the server select screen and look at all the preferred and standard servers. P99 is literally just another one of those servers - it just happens to have thousands of people who play on it, because no one else has recreated classic EverQuest as well as nilbog & co. have. If P99 had a playerbase of 20,000 or 20, nilbog would be doing the exact same thing as he's doing now. He didn't create P99 with the goal: "Let's make a server that will please thousands of people! I want a big playerbase!" He simply built his Field of Dreams, and people showed up.

I'm getting sick and tired of people who are against further expansions lecturing the rest of us to "go outside and get some sunlight". That's just a clever version of the old "if you don't like it quit" fallacy that has been used for years by Internet troll. You are better than that, so please stop using it.

I'm not against further expansions - I'm against all-or-nothing Luclin, which is the only realistic way SoL can be implemented here without actually paying people to develop stuff. Lots of other people are against this too, because that expansion is a radioactive pile of unVisioned garbage. If you like it so much that you refuse to play on a server that doesn't want to do it, then I suggest you play something else.

Lhancelot
11-21-2016, 01:46 PM
I mean, again, this is nilbog's world - he literally gives zero fucks about pleasing a playerbase, and why should he? People keep forgetting this. Go to the server select screen and look at all the preferred and standard servers. P99 is literally just another one of those servers - it just happens to have thousands of people who play on it, because no one else has recreated classic EverQuest as well as nilbog & co. have. If P99 had a playerbase of 20,000 or 20, nilbog would be doing the exact same thing as he's doing now. He didn't create P99 with the goal: "Let's make a server that will please thousands of people! I want a big playerbase!" He simply built his Field of Dreams, and people showed up.

I like this point the best. Never really thought it out, but this is 100% true.

The server was created, with a very rigid frame and structure when concerning it's total goal that being creating a "classic" server that would only go so far. From the start it sounds like this was the intention.

No one can come and feel disappointed, when the goal was set from the very beginning to only go to Velious.

If Rogean and Nilbog and Co. wanted to boost population here, and make money from P99 via it's gaming population I imagine they would consider going further into future expansions, that obviously was not their intention when they made this server.

It's funny that it has become as popular as it has though, really quite miraculous really.

fugazi
11-21-2016, 03:04 PM
2. A lvl 28-45 dungeon accessible from Steamfont. Minotaur only dungeon. This would help how congested MM/Unrest is.. tons of lfg pond/fireplace sitting around. Plus side would be it'll be a few zones way.

Upper Guk still has a bunch of mobs that are great xp for lvl30-34s. Those with a 33-35 tank can move to Lower Guk. Live side has tons of mobs that should keep a full group occupied. Undead side has the bedroom. Live has the issue of mobs warping through the walls in the minotaur labyrinth though - that urgently needs a fix.

Then there's Nurga/Droga. Nurga is heaven for any duo with fear and snare. I'm currently duo fearkiting in Nurga as a bard/paladin combo and it is xp heaven.

Cazic-Thule is also great and easy xp. It is an outdoors zone so one of the gazillion druids can help you sodomize the lizards with harmony. If you're a lvl34-35 enchanter, the temple is heaven.

Crystal Caverns is a fun experience, but like ToFS and anything Velious, mobs got noticably more hp/ac and Velious suffers from shit ZEM.

There's shit loads of places you can go to go for great xp in the 20-45 range. Xp that will blow Mistmoore out of the water. But you know what? It takes a bit of effort. To get there. To get to know the zone. To get shit done. Congestion happens through choice.

Hell, to continue my rant, even people that poopsock Mistmoore don't utilize the zone correctly. People camping castle entrance are doing their puller a huge disservice by sitting on their asses outside. The pond ought to move along with their puller after every kill. But such an energetic approach to EQ seems to be an abomination for most.

And yes, I cry every single time I see a druid solo healing in Oasis when they could be fear-kiting the walking handbags.

paulgiamatti
11-21-2016, 04:06 PM
The pond ought to move along with their puller after every kill. But such an energetic approach to EQ seems to be an abomination for most.

Yep, "camping" is the worst thing about EQ imo - even McQuaid has admitted that's the first thing he'd change if he could do it all over. It's why I actually enjoy doing crypt in Sebilis, since at least there's some crawling involved. It's also why I love putting together clear-to-Juggs groups and The Hole spelunking expeditions - dungeon crawling is my favorite thing to do in EQ, and the main reason I often wish I were playing WoW instead.

Vandil
11-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Yep, "camping" is the worst thing about EQ imo - even McQuaid has admitted that's the first thing he'd change if he could do it all over. It's why I actually enjoy doing crypt in Sebilis, since at least there's some crawling involved. It's also why I love putting together clear-to-Juggs groups and The Hole spelunking expeditions - dungeon crawling is my favorite thing to do in EQ, and the main reason I often wish I were playing WoW instead.

So.... play WoW?

Not being facetious. Playing on Project 1999 is deliberately playing EQ in a specific era where things were designed in such a way that certain experiences were unpleasant. Which is why modern MMORPGs like WoW wound up "fixing" and became popular.

Choosing to play on Project 1999 is to embrace EQ for all that it was, craptastic stuff included, for the nostalgia of a time where these things weren't fixed and where we had tons of free time to surmount them.

But if free time for gaming is at a premium, and Project 1999 is grating to the point where you're miserable and wishing to play another game, then why not play the other game for a while? Free time for gaming is just too precious to waste.

paulgiamatti
11-21-2016, 05:19 PM
I do - there are still plenty of great vanilla WoW emulators. Wishing I were playing WoW while playing EQ isn't grating to the point of misery, it's just wishing I were playing WoW.

Topgunben
11-21-2016, 11:02 PM
i think some people missed the point of my OP.

Ill use a story/anecdote to better explain.

Recently a rather infamous EQ'er has come back to the game on a new account. last night i bumped into him in EC, and after chatting for a while, noticed that he was level 18. I asked him how he got to 18 so quick and he told me he played 27 hours straight from character creation. wowzerz

im not trying to come off all high and mighty. im not jealous of the guy or anything, and i get that maybe he just had some excitement coming back into the fold after a couple years off.

But 27 hours straight?... really? thats like a weeks worth of playing in a little over a days time..... which brings me full circle to my OP. if you play a weeks worth of content in 1 day, or 3 years of content in 5 months, the problem is with you, not the amount of content in game.

Ikon
11-22-2016, 01:05 AM
P99 with an authentic timeline. When it runs through to the end of the cycle all characters will be dumped into blue and another Green server will start up. At least, that's my understanding.
OMG that I am saving up all my accrued leave, either that or I'll have to fake a work injury that leaves me completely incapacitated.

Vandil
11-22-2016, 11:01 AM
i think some people missed the point of my OP.

Ill use a story/anecdote to better explain.

Recently a rather infamous EQ'er has come back to the game on a new account. last night i bumped into him in EC, and after chatting for a while, noticed that he was level 18. I asked him how he got to 18 so quick and he told me he played 27 hours straight from character creation. wowzerz

im not trying to come off all high and mighty. im not jealous of the guy or anything, and i get that maybe he just had some excitement coming back into the fold after a couple years off.

But 27 hours straight?... really? thats like a weeks worth of playing in a little over a days time..... which brings me full circle to my OP. if you play a weeks worth of content in 1 day, or 3 years of content in 5 months, the problem is with you, not the amount of content in game.

Kind of reminds me of when Nintendo released the DLC track packs and the 200cc update for Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U. After months of moaning and whining for new content for MK8, the update was finally released. There were people out there that immediately updated and jammed through the new content in one day, and maxing out everything that could be done within 2 days. Proudly posting their max-star 200cc gold trophies with everything unlocked.....

....and then they had NO NEW CONTENT again... for what may be forever... and started whining again.

For me, I'm lucky if I get to sit down with my 3DS for more than 15 minutes per week, let alone find the time to play Project 1999 any more. When the time comes, I'm going to have fun, but not go-go-go-go-go-go to consume content rapidly.

If you savor it just right, P99-locked-at-Velious has content you could enjoy for several years to come.

renordw
11-22-2016, 11:25 AM
I think everybody would agree that the best content is going to use the zones that currently exist (Luclin is fuck ugly).

My idea is always to revamp Kerra Isle or Guk, or something

elwing
11-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Veksar is also some great material for custom new zones...