PDA

View Full Version : Magician Pet Question - Weapons

PolishPower611
01-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Alright, I'm a lvl 37 mage and my routine is that I've usually been summoning up two weapons to give to my pet, which for the last few levels have been 2 Swords of Runes (7/27 ratio). But technically since each level pet has its own damage cap and the actual weapon doesn't seem to affect how much they hits for, would it be the same thing if I just summoned him two lvl 1 spell Summon Daggers (3/20 ratio)? Now is it even worth to give pets weapons after they can automatically dual wield without weapons starting lvl 39? I was thinking it would be alot more mana efficient to just keep giving pets lvl 1 spell summoned daggers since the weapon ratio doesnt seem to affect damage maybe it's best to give them weapons with lowest delay? Hehe 50 questions here I know, but any knowledge would be appreciated, Thanks.

Harrison
01-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Weapons don't do dick for your pet but allow them to dual wield, or proc if it has one.

Ratio is irrelevant.
Damage is irrelevant.

This is also not classic, but owell.

PolishPower611
01-20-2011, 02:46 AM
so basically after lvl 39 there's absolutely no point in givin mage pets weapons?

Harrison
01-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Once they can dual wield naturally, not really.

Stun whips are great tools.
Root swords if you can get a bunch of them.
etc.

Estu
01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Is it known whether stats on weapons (e.g. STR, STA) carry to your pet? I also hear that you can give your pet armor - is this true?

guineapig
01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
In other words, yes they do server a purpose.

Besides stun whips and the like, mages get a summoned sword that does dirrect damage versus summoned mobs (ideal for certain parts of SolB).

The summoned weapons that have resist bonuses can be useful in certain situations to extend the life of your pet. (+MR, PR, DR from the dagger, +FR, CR from the spear)

Staff of writhing adds a sick amount of agro to your pet as well as some great additional DPS + a stun component. It's such a great soloing tool and pretty easy to get as they drop probably 10 times a day (at least) at Royals.

The root swords (previously mentioned) are a great way to give the crowd control capabilities of the earth pet to the more DPS producing pets like fire and air. If you are in a group with no bard or enchanter one of these swords in your pets hand can come in extremely handy not only for minimal crowd control but also for agro control. Plus in group situations mage pets tend to last for ever.

Will you be using these special weapons every single time you summon a pet? Doubtful. But at the very least I would give my pet 2 summoned weapons for the additional resists, a summoned coldstone for the +5AC and 2 summoned levitation rings for another +8 AC. I have not parsed the difference in damage taken but I'm willing to bet that there is a measurable difference.