PDA

View Full Version : Things that would be an improvement on Classic

Nilstoniakrath
11-30-2016, 12:03 AM
Not saying p99 should implement these things, or asking for them, but these things would be an improvement on the game, and just make sense too

1) Pets zoning with you <actually, mobs chasing you should zone too, as should your status as being hidden, or in sneak mode, etc.>
2) Pets camping with you <same as #1>
3) The target ring colored to match the con of the target to you
4) The shared bank
5) No changes to class abilities for PvP, as in charm, fear, mez, DD caps on damage, etc.
6) DoT damage should be static and not influenced by whether the mob is rooted/feared/roaming free
7) pet should not steal xp based on 50+ percent damage or not when solo-ing
8) all spires/rings in game should have a spell to port to them
9) zone lines in oceans should be cross-able by swimming, not just by boat
10) zones with raid mobs should be PvP-enabled (no looting or xp loss) instead of the current FTE rules

Things that are fine the way they are:

1) No timer on buffs
2) No boxing
3) No AAs
4) No spires or books
5) No bazaar

Bruno
11-30-2016, 12:12 AM
gl

eisley
11-30-2016, 12:15 AM
10) zones with raid mobs should be PvP-enabled (no looting or xp loss) instead of the current FTE rules

this would just result in constant trolling and unending standoffs that would probably result in ceasefires or everyone combining into one guild

Wiley
11-30-2016, 12:16 AM
In the land of make-believe:

7 & 10 agreed, AA's would be nice as it gives filthy casuals like myself something to do after hitting 60, aside from rolling a new character.

I'd add focus effects, which iirc tried to even the gear playing field between melee and casters. Right now only thing getting better gear on a caster does is more hp/mana/resists.

skarlorn
11-30-2016, 12:48 AM
OP, before I read the list I need to ask:

are any of your suggestions classic?

Red_Messiah
11-30-2016, 01:15 AM
this would just result in constant trolling and unending standoffs that would probably result in ceasefires or everyone combining into one guild

As everyone on blue is scared of fighting something with an IQ greater than a programmable NPC I'd say it would probably result in another guild rotation.

eisley
11-30-2016, 01:17 AM
As everyone on blue is scared of fighting something with an IQ greater than a programmable NPC I'd say it would probably result in another guild rotation.

pretty much.

Raev
11-30-2016, 01:27 AM

The thing is that zerg wins PVP even harder than PVE. You can't beat 80 with 40 unless you have a massive gear and skill advantage. So at some point Blue be going 200 v 200 and the zones would lag out every time (happened with Red during the GG/Empire battles). Also with 400 people running around it would be very, very difficult to fraps trains successfully. So basically it would suck even more than the current ruleset.

The fix for Project 1999's raid scene is and always has been more earthquakes. Earthquakes don't involve poopsocking and spread the pixels a lot more widely. This is recognized by literally everyone except Rogean, who for some reason refuses to automate the earthquakes. It makes no sense to me: 1.5 earthquakes per week and no normal spawns would fix soooooooooooooooooo much of our raid scene problems. Good play and organization would be rewarded rather than poopsocking! But maybe he has good reasons that I'm not aware of <shrug>

Red_Messiah
11-30-2016, 02:12 AM
The thing is that zerg wins PVP even harder than PVE. You can't beat 80 with 40 unless you have a massive gear and skill advantage.

You get the jump on people mid-raid and anything is possible if the attackers are coordinated.

This isn't the best example but Red Dawn caught napping... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbLsc0pf610

Shodo
11-30-2016, 02:27 AM
1) <actually, mobs chasing you should zone too

Forget pulling raid targets to zonelines, just pull them all the way to EC tunnel for easy loot rights sales!

kaev
11-30-2016, 03:43 AM
Many things would be an improvement on classic. But that's not the point of this server...

katrik
11-30-2016, 12:09 PM
Not saying p99 should implement these things, or asking for them, but these things would be an improvement on the game, and just make sense too

1) Pets zoning with you <actually, mobs chasing you should zone too, as should your status as being hidden, or in sneak mode, etc.>
2) Pets camping with you <same as #1>
3) The target ring colored to match the con of the target to you
4) The shared bank
5) No changes to class abilities for PvP, as in charm, fear, mez, DD caps on damage, etc.
6) DoT damage should be static and not influenced by whether the mob is rooted/feared/roaming free
7) pet should not steal xp based on 50+ percent damage or not when solo-ing
8) all spires/rings in game should have a spell to port to them
9) zone lines in oceans should be cross-able by swimming, not just by boat

Things that are fine the way they are:

1) No timer on buffs
2) No boxing
3) No AAs
4) No spires or books
5) No bazaar

Yeah let's cater to you exclusively! Stop making stupid fucking threads like this.

Thanks

Rader
11-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Did you read the first sentence of the OP?

Loke
11-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Even if zerg generally wins in PvP or no-CSR, I'd still be in favor of it. Even though TMO generally dominated us in VP during the no-CSR era, it was still some of the most fun I've ever had in EQ. That first Druushk kill we got with like 23 people vs. TMO's ~60 is still probably my favorite kill on p99 just because of how rewarding it felt after weeks/months of getting stomped on by a numerically superior raid force. The loot was junk and the time investment was kind of ridiculous looking back on it, but it was a lot more fun than this FTE cookie cutter tactics style of raiding that currently exists on p99.

The current raid rules are so restrictive that they leave almost no room for innovation, and it has made raiding boring as hell. No-CSR VP is what forced us to develop new strategies like train ups, which are now a staple of raiding on p99. Use of ledges/cubbies, train wars and counter training all became skills that could make or break a raid. Sure, we all log in every week for the easy kills, but competition beyond a foot race would be a welcome change imo.

Red_Messiah
11-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Try red if you dont like the blue raid scene

JonyeGway
11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
You can already swim across ocean zonelines you just have to know where the openings are

Bruno
11-30-2016, 01:39 PM
Did you read the first sentence of the OP?

Think you meant to say nobody is buying his little disclaimer in order to avoid getting flamed. Just shows he's got no balls to stand up for what he believes in.

applesauce25r624
11-30-2016, 02:26 PM
clearly defined stats/attributes

Brut
11-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Add Melalafen.

dafier
11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
OP, play another EMU. This one is classic only...well, as well as it can be and the staff do a great job keeping it that way.

But, imo yes quite a few improvements to make an old game more fun to play.

Nilstoniakrath
12-01-2016, 12:41 AM
You can already swim across ocean zonelines you just have to know where the openings are

I know of the gap in the water between NK and SK, right under the bridge. You are saying there are similar gaps between EFP and OOT, OOT and BB, etc.? That would be awesome if there are...

Nilstoniakrath
12-01-2016, 12:55 AM
OP, play another EMU. This one is classic only...well, as well as it can be and the staff do a great job keeping it that way.

But, imo yes quite a few improvements to make an old game more fun to play.

I do play other EMU's from time to time, and frankly they suck compared to p99. That doesn't mean we can't discuss the pros and cons of p99 here on the forums. As I stated at the start of the original post, this wasn't a request to make changes, I am quite aware that they are committed to adhering to the original game and have no intention of customizing things, and I would be disappointed if they deviated from that - they would be no better than the EZ server, Raid Addicts, Hidden Forest, or whatever other lame server if they went down that path.

NegaStoat
12-01-2016, 01:12 AM
If I were to play on a brand new classic P1999 blue server with a progressive timeline, I'd humbly ask for three changes.

1) Hybrid experience penalty lifted from day one. It was a design mistake, the devs admitted as much at the time, and it was NOT a feature of purchasing velious. Everyone playing the game enjoyed the change as a simple patched fix.

2) When certain items became 'legacy' status to no longer drop at certain points (manastone, rubicite armor, etc) - have a completely non classic set of NPC's in different zones that run a gambling game with a tiny (I mean, tiny) chance of winning the removed items along with more commonly obtained prizes to serve as a plat sink for the server, starting with Kunark.

3) Any and all changes the GM's might see fit to implement that would make their jobs easier in dealing with the players on the server, ranging from raid zone / mob mechanics, proper mob hyper-aggro resetting and sharing with other mobs (Kunark style), AoE limits like we currently have, or removing Multi Questing entirely. I'm not necessarily for or against any particular item - I'm just saying the server staff have probably wished a million times over that a particular 'feature' wasn't present, the 'classic experience' be damned.

Jorgam
12-01-2016, 01:37 AM
Project Illusion..

Jimjam
12-01-2016, 02:54 AM
Is OP a Necromancer?

fadetree
12-01-2016, 08:39 AM
I know of the gap in the water between NK and SK, right under the bridge. You are saying there are similar gaps between EFP and OOT, OOT and BB, etc.? That would be awesome if there are...

There may be a few spots, but generally speaking you can't. The boats don't zone, they port.

Ikon
12-01-2016, 09:28 AM
If I were to play on a brand new classic P1999 blue server with a progressive timeline, I'd humbly ask for three changes.

1) Hybrid experience penalty lifted from day one. It was a design mistake, the devs admitted as much at the time, and it was NOT a feature of purchasing velious. Everyone playing the game enjoyed the change as a simple patched fix.

2) When certain items became 'legacy' status to no longer drop at certain points (manastone, rubicite armor, etc) - have a completely non classic set of NPC's in different zones that run a gambling game with a tiny (I mean, tiny) chance of winning the removed items along with more commonly obtained prizes to serve as a plat sink for the server, starting with Kunark.

3) Any and all changes the GM's might see fit to implement that would make their jobs easier in dealing with the players on the server, ranging from raid zone / mob mechanics, proper mob hyper-aggro resetting and sharing with other mobs (Kunark style), AoE limits like we currently have, or removing Multi Questing entirely. I'm not necessarily for or against any particular item - I'm just saying the server staff have probably wished a million times over that a particular 'feature' wasn't present, the 'classic experience' be damned.
I sortof like the hybrid penalties. You can choose ezy-mode (for eq anyway) or really fekking hard mode.

I'd like to see similiar in regards to 3. I'd say fix the imba bugs / mistakes they made and make it like they intended. Buying your epic is not epic and a raid full of toons with CH soulfires makes content way to easy.

Vasuki
12-01-2016, 10:19 AM
I sortof like the hybrid penalties. You can choose ezy-mode (for eq anyway) or really fekking hard mode.

I'd like to see similiar in regards to 3. I'd say fix the imba bugs / mistakes they made and make it like they intended. Buying your epic is not epic and a raid full of toons with CH soulfires makes content way to easy.

Leveling slower isn't hard it just takes an annoying amount of time. Also hybrids aren't OP or easier to level so the xp penalty is unwarranted.

Ikon
12-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Leveling slower isn't hard it just takes an annoying amount of time. Also hybrids aren't OP or easier to level so the xp penalty is unwarranted.
Guess it depends on your preference. I like leveling and see it as a challenge not a chore. Also like trying out difficult spots and difficult mobs. I level slow and die a lot.

Some people like going to popular zones with high ZEM and doing the treadmill thing with the aim to level as fast as possible so I can see how they would find penalties annoying.

Neither is bad or incorrect imo. Each to their own.

Jimjam
12-01-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm in your camp Ikon.

I viewed the XP penalties as a good thing; it meant you got to spend more time playing the character you wanted to level up. Yay!

Perhaps the xp penalties should have only applied to the first 50 levels though...

Nilstoniakrath
12-02-2016, 12:38 AM
Here are some more ways that Classic is GOOD

No mercs
No glowing trails on the ground to find a quest-giver, or merchant in the bazaar, etc.
No stars or exclamation points above the head of a quest-giver, etc.

More ways that the game would be better

Not able to consider faction of mobs - maybe a change in the graphic of the mob (as in a smile or frown), once in agro range, but why should you be able to know the demeanor of another from a distance?

Names-is this a convention or re-union, with name tags on your chest?

Better details on stats on your character screen - example, overweight monks' AC penalties should display; damage bonus for STR should be spelled out; cumulative haste from items/buffs; etc. If this kind of knowledge is "cheating" then why even list your stats, isn't that "EZ mode?"

NegaStoat
12-02-2016, 01:50 PM

The issue I take with the hybrid experience penalty of 40% was that it reduced experience gains while grouping. On this server we had a LOT of min-maxed minded people who would snub a hybrid for a group slot in preference for anything else they could get to work in that place instead.

If you wanted to advocate that the exp penalty be left in until the timeline patch, I'd say "great" if a custom fix of the penalty being reduced to 20% if you are grouped with another person and reduced to 0% once the group size hits 3 or more. Paladins, SK's, and especially Rangers shouldn't have their pickup group game experience crapped on until Velious, or at least that's my opinion. Especially when it was the opinion of the original game devs when they fessed up to acknowledging the situation and nuking the penalty.