PDA

View Full Version : Player stole my equipment

Tynnonium
12-06-2016, 04:37 AM
I was attempting to transfer some stuff from one character to another when another player picked up my bag. When I asked him if he picked up a bag he immediately logged. Nothing in the bag was even that valuable. Is there anything that can be done about this?

GinnasP99
12-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Name and shame. But no, nothing can be done. You ground transfer at your own risk

rollin5k
12-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Gotta do drop transfers in discrete locations

Baler
12-06-2016, 11:44 AM
How much did you lose? I can help you replace what was lost if you'd like.

In the future...
Find a high level player in a popular guild, ask them if they'll help you transfer items, take screenshots of the transfer process.

---
Put Xaanka on your ignore list
User CP > Edit Ignore List > Add a Member to Your List...

Doctor Jeff
12-06-2016, 11:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/OCZet56.png

eqravenprince
12-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Where did you drop your bag? If you picked a secluded place, then that is just really bad luck. If you picked the bank or gate or other high traffic area, then you have no one else to blame but yourself.

Ravager
12-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Underwater and an out of the way place is the best place for a drop transfer, that way passersby are less likely to spot it if they happen to head that way.

PM me what you lost and maybe I can help replace your things.

Lojik
12-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Some secluded places seem safe, but other people might happen by that area if they themselves are also doing a drop transfer, or might even be seeking these places out to nab some cool stuffs. Shallow water is usually pretty good, as passers by cant see if there are items on the ground nearly as well, and if you do it out in the open, the spots aren't that conspicuous. Also be on the lookout for ppl watching your movements.

Tynnonium
12-06-2016, 01:01 PM
How much did you lose? I can help you replace what was lost if you'd like.

In the future...
Find a high level player in a popular guild, ask them if they'll help you transfer items, take screenshots of the transfer process.

---
It was a Wu's Quivering Staff and some small patchwork armor nothing really valuable I just spent a long time getting it is all.

burkemi5
12-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Just log a second box on a second laptop like everyone else when doing transfers.

Takii Huggles
12-06-2016, 01:31 PM
I lost a bag of rogue gear, raven scale, fbss and blood points back on live a long time ago to a passing guard on the other side of the wall. When I logged back in, it was just in time to see the message "Guard such and such picks up an item off the ground =(.

Twochain
12-06-2016, 02:53 PM
I'd love to help you out with some starter gear if you need it, let me know! :)

Ravager
12-06-2016, 02:56 PM
I lost a bag of rogue gear, raven scale, fbss and blood points back on live a long time ago to a passing guard on the other side of the wall. When I logged back in, it was just in time to see the message "Guard such and such picks up an item off the ground =(.
I remember those messages in classic, to the effect of, "Ho, hum look what I found!" as a guard passed by some coin you were trying to transfer so your alt could buy spells.

It was a sad day the first time that happened to me.

skarlorn
12-06-2016, 02:57 PM

this is hilarious

Izmael
12-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Npc picking up drop xfer items is very very classic.

Maelstrom
12-06-2016, 03:31 PM
So many discrete places to drop bags bro. If you dropped it near other players you're doing it wrong.

I've even dropped bags in that little shack near EC tunnel before.

SHHHHH!

Alanus
12-06-2016, 03:40 PM
I only drop xfer things I wouldn't care if I lost. Anyone drop xfering things that they can't afford to lose is taking a huge risk.

I camp out the char that I am transferring to at the spot, then log on the other one, first, too. Every second saved is important.

There's a lot of spots that no one goes to that you can use.

Messianic
12-06-2016, 03:42 PM
My favorite drop-xfer spot was the very backside of rando Kelethin houses (where you're b/w the rail and the house). Never lost anything to a drop transfer.

trist4n
12-06-2016, 03:47 PM
I've Xfered a lot of items with a lot of different folks in the past. I think it might say something, a little bit, that you would prefer to trust the ground than your fellow players. Just ask somebody of a reputable guild or in Dial A Port next time, and if they have time, and can help, they will.

Jimjam
12-06-2016, 04:07 PM
I attempted a drop transfer behind a tree in Warslick's Woods after killing Grachy the Destroyer once.

Goatnapper must have been pretty peeved, thinking he was going to steal a clicky earring, but actually only got a sarnak hide mask!

Twochain
12-06-2016, 04:07 PM
To add to my offer above, never ground xfer.

You will NEVER lose your items permanently on P99 if:

A. You ask somebody from a reputable guild to xfer for you. I've had dial a port pick up and xfer freshly won fungi tunics plenty of times without any problems. A big reason for this is because..

B. The GM's will lay down the hammer to anyone who steals during an xfer. If you ever feel uncomfortable with an xfer, type /log, than msg that person "/tell twochain "Okay so will you xfer this prenerf fungi staff to my mule burkemi?" "Twochain tells you "Yes of course"

That above will all but guarantee that your items are safe. You would now have undeniable proof that you asked this person for an xfer, they consented, and using their trade logs, they would be able to see where those items ended up.

It's a little bit of a dick move to steal somebodies shit off the ground, but it's much, much different than outright stealing during a player to player transfer.

No harm, no foul though! Feel free to drop me a msg some time for some starter gear.

GinnasP99
12-06-2016, 05:39 PM
My drop transfer spot is pro. I could tell you but I'd have to kill you

Crawdad
12-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Always try and do drop transfers in out of the way locations/zones if you're dead set on it... otherwise just ask someone in Dial-a-Port or some rando 60 in a guild.

How did you know what I was muttering to myself?

paulgiamatti
12-06-2016, 08:25 PM
You will NEVER lose your items permanently on P99 if:

A. You ask somebody from a reputable guild to xfer for you. I've had dial a port pick up and xfer freshly won fungi tunics plenty of times without any problems.

Never say never applies, but this is generally correct. I can certainly imagine someone coming back to the game after a hiatus and using their guild tag as leverage to do shitty things. Probably won't happen, and most actual reputable guilds on P99 go to great lengths to ensure inactive members get deguilded so that it's never an issue. And everyone's opinion of reputation varies - some guilds that people probably view as the most reputable are the ones that I avoid the most.

B. The GM's will lay down the hammer to anyone who steals during an xfer. If you ever feel uncomfortable with an xfer, type /log, than msg that person "/tell twochain "Okay so will you xfer this prenerf fungi staff to my mule burkemi?" "Twochain tells you "Yes of course"

That above will all but guarantee that your items are safe. You would now have undeniable proof that you asked this person for an xfer, they consented, and using their trade logs, they would be able to see where those items ended up.

This is also a little more complicated, though you're generally correct - sometimes there is literally nothing GMs can do in the event of a scam where the scam artist knows what they're doing. But generally speaking, if you know how to avoid shady-ass people, the likelihood of getting scammed is minuscule - getting-struck-by-lightning minuscule. So it's not really something you ought to worry about, but at the same time you probably don't want to go to the top of a skyscraper in a thunderstorm and start waving a steel tentpole around. I've already harangued the staff about discouraging P2P transfers, because people on this server in general are pretty god damned paranoid and giving people a reason to distrust one another will lead to chilling effects. And sure enough, it has - right now it's way more difficult to get an item transferred than it used to be if you aren't in a fairly big guild because there was a bit of scam hysteria in the last couple years.

So yeah, don't hit up some rando unguilded dude to transfer your fungi tunic - try to find someone you know, and barring that look for people in a guild that you know is trustworthy. It might be a dick move to name guilds here, but fuck that, you nerds need to do more transfers for people: CSG, Venerate, Divinity, Anonymous, Infernus, and Paradigm Shift (probably forgetting some) are guilds that I would pretty much trust unconditionally, mainly because I know that their leaders are responsible people who won't shrug off a scammer. There's at least some consolation in knowing that if you get scammed by someone, then they're going to lose their guild tag.

Lhancelot
12-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Anyone drop xfering things that they can't afford to lose is taking a huge risk.

I find the feeling I have when bag dropping a fungi unmatchable. The adrenaline rush as you log out one toon, and log in the other is hard to beat. Every second, every beat of the pulse is intense when waiting and hoping that my second toon logs in without a hitch.

The best is when I get disconnected, and must wait to log back in, while the fungi is in a bag, sitting in my bag-drop location. The whole time I am wondering if I will log back in time, or if someone will have come upon my bag dropped with a fungi in it.

I recommend anyone looking for a rush to do this, you won't beat it, trust me.

paulgiamatti
12-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Statistically speaking, I'm absolutely positive you have a higher chance of losing items from drop-transferring than from scammers. It's risk versus reward - sometimes you don't want to go through the tedium of bothering someone to transfer 8 bags of spider silk or whatever. If you play with fire you're gonna get burned. Don't drop-transfer your valuable shit. Login servers can take a dump, the servers can unexpectedly come down, your internet can go out, your computer can crash, your power can go out, etc. etc. etc. Those items will not be restored by GMs. But yeah, we all play with fire occasionally.

tristantio
12-06-2016, 10:49 PM
As someone who was ripped off for a Fungi in a player transfer - Be warned: If you trust a player and end up scammed, your only recourse will be to petition for scamming, and get them a punishment (temporary or permanent ban), but this still will not get your item back (the GMs will *never* transfer an item back from one player to another that was given in a trade, even if chat logs say they'll be happy to move it for you).

I think the main thing to consider is:

A ground transfer always has the same small risk of loss, whether you're transferring a Fire Beetle Eye or a Pre-nerf Fungi Staff (that risk being server failure).
A transfer from an untrusted person has the risk increase exponentially, as soon as that person's "this would be too good to be true if I had this item" threshold has been passed

skarlorn
12-06-2016, 10:56 PM
There are people here equating the experience of drop transferring p99 pixels to an intense rush like no other, or playing with fire.

Let that sink in.

Brontus
12-06-2016, 11:20 PM
One solution is to implement shared bank slots which SOE introduced in the Planes of Power expansion. Of course we're going to get the "it's not classic" fallacy shoved down our throats by the usual suspects despite the fact that the implementation of shared bank slots have zero negative impact on game play.

This simple solution would all but eliminate the need for people to have to do ground transfers or trust other players. Also, from what I have read many new players resort to creating and additional account just to transfer items securely -- not double box -- and then they get face disciplinary action or a ban.

Shared bank slots would eliminate many problems and petitions and free up the valuable time of the P99 staff to focus on more important things.

maskedmelon
12-06-2016, 11:32 PM
I've transferred hundreds of items and tens of thousands of platinums with random strangers and not one has ever done me wrong :3

Never done a drop transfer.

paulgiamatti
12-07-2016, 12:23 AM
A transfer from an untrusted person has the risk increase exponentially, as soon as that person's "this would be too good to be true if I had this item" threshold has been passed

Your situation was a complete anomaly though. People like to throw around the term "pathological liar" when referring to someone who's obviously aware that they're being a shitty person. Shadowshrek wasn't like that. He actually had no idea that he was lying, because his psychology of lying ran that deep - he had effectively convinced himself that he didn't do anything wrong. Meaning he stole your shit, but he could've passed a polygraph if interrogated about it - I have absolutely no doubts about this. I tried hard to get people to understand what was going on, but when you're dealing with someone who is actually, legitimately pathologically lying, there's almost nothing you can do.

So it's not really fair to take something like Shadowshrek into account as if that's a normal thing that's going to happen if you ask for transfers. That was you being struck by lightning.

Lhancelot
12-07-2016, 12:36 AM
There are people here equating the experience of drop transferring p99 pixels to an intense rush like no other, or playing with fire.

Let that sink in.

There are people that feel the joy pixels bring them is different than the joy pixels bring others, and due to that difference they are superior human beings. Sometimes these very people fail to recognize hyperbole too.

Let that sink.

Bubbles
12-07-2016, 03:21 AM
No, Skarlorn is right. It's both shameful and hilarious.

fugazi
12-07-2016, 06:28 AM
I got a spider fur cloak for you and maybe some other pieces that are catching dust in my bank. PM Tawa or Kahnye ingame, tho I do play euro hours.

Lhancelot
12-07-2016, 09:47 AM
No, Skarlorn is right. It's both shameful and hilarious.

Let me remind you and Skarlorn that you both regularly post on an elf sim forum. You both play an elf sim game. You both may roleplay and write stories about elf sim characters. You both probably spend a lot of time in the elf sim world, and you both find happiness in the online gaming activities you take part in.

I just struggle with the logic that what someone else does in the elf sim world and finds fun is anymore "hilarious and shameful" than what either of you do.

But hey. Whatever makes you feel good about yourself, feel free to feel like what you do is noble and so much more serious in the game. I mean, I am sure what you do in the game is not one bit hilarious or shameful when you think about it.

With that in mind, drop some COFs, fungis, or any other high priced items in a bag to transfer to another toon. It's really, really exciting I promise you! Just do it, for real. Biggest rush, ever.

Mendo
12-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Easiest way to not get screwed while trying to transfer is to make friends in the game.

Topgunben
12-07-2016, 12:49 PM
this reminds me of one time when i tried to transfer a fungi tunic and CoF in a bag at a discrete location. When i logged on to my other character, the bag was gone!!!!!!!

the only good thing was that someone mysteriously transferred $500 into my bank account.

skarlorn
12-07-2016, 12:54 PM
this reminds me of one time when i tried to transfer a fungi tunic and CoF in a bag at a discrete location. When i logged on to my other character, the bag was gone!!!!!!!

the only good thing was that someone mysteriously transferred $500 into my bank account.

:cool:

nice meme here lad, almost missed it

Ravager
12-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Easiest way to not get screwed while trying to transfer is to make friends in the game.
Friends are for the weak. Enemies make you strong.