PDA

View Full Version : Classic feel or classic mechanics?

renordw
12-13-2016, 01:37 PM
From the last thread, it's clear that the biggest differences in opinions on how the server should function hinge on whether you believe the server should have a "classic feel" or "classic mechanics."

Some examples of keeping the classic feel, while changing classic mechanics:
* Disabling epics until level 50
* Outlawing multi-boxing
* Changing functionality of PBAoE to hit 25 max
* Swarm agro (think swarm kiting)
* Pet classes have to out damage their pets
* South Ro Ancient Cyclops spawn cycle

I think these changes contribute to the "feeling" of classic, while sacrificing the "mechanics" of classic. Which is more important?

Lhancelot
12-13-2016, 01:43 PM
I don't care, as long as it makes the game more fun yet retains the challenge eq1 is known for.

renordw
12-13-2016, 01:45 PM
I don't care, as long as it makes the game more fun yet retains the challenge eq1 is known for.

Well, a lot of the changes are made to make the game more challenging, since you can't have a level 1 cleric bot with a click stick.

Or they force you to be engaged, instead of falling asleep at a camp and having your mage pet solo everything.

Whirled
12-13-2016, 01:51 PM
It's no use dude. You'll have 10 unemployed autists telling you to "git gud or uninstall".

renordw
12-13-2016, 01:52 PM
It's no use dude. You'll have 10 unemployed autists telling you to "git gud or uninstall".

I'm not even complaining to be honest, I don't play much anymore. I just want to know what other people think. I figure there's gotta be some strife, considering how much nonsense is thrown around about "starting a crew to (compensate for xxx classical mechanic)"

skarlorn
12-13-2016, 02:03 PM
I am in favor of anything the devs do. Especially Telin. Praise be.

Whirled
12-13-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm not even complaining to be honest, I don't play much anymore. I just want to know what other people think. I figure there's gotta be some strife, considering how much nonsense is thrown around about "starting a crew to (compensate for xxx classical mechanic)"

^Me either, but man, I'm just trying to save you the head ache.
Good luck in your endeavors tho.

Jimjam
12-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Isn't the AC spawn classic now? Seems to mirror Prathun's dev post on live.It's no use dude. You'll have 10 unemployed autists telling you to "git gud or uninstall".

To be fair they live by their own advice. They did not git gud at life so they unplugged.

Lhancelot
12-13-2016, 02:12 PM
I just think that reason can be applied and make the server/game better. I don't think it makes sense to make it "classic" if it makes the game impractical to play, but at the same time I like the fact they do not allow boxing multiple accounts and other rules they follow. I feel this is a good thing.

There are some quality of life changes that wouldn't hurt this game, and that would not diminish the challenging aspects of the game. Like saved spell lists. I honestly don't see how this would hurt anything. Some people feel it's not classic, thus should not be considered as a possible addition to the game on P99.

This topic always garners lots of opinions, and that's all they are. None are right or wrong when it comes to what people personally think would make the game better, as it's arbitrary depending on what each individual's own personal whims are as to what makes a game fun or not.

I like what the guides do here. The aspects of the game I do not like really have everything to do with the playerbase and their own selfish greediness particularly when it comes to raiding, but there's nothing Nilbog, Sirken, or Rogean and Co. can do about that.

It seems we have a collection of the most hardcore EQ players here from the past, and their greed is so out of bounds that they have lost total grasp of reality and what is fair or not on this server and in this game.

These asinine neckbeards have made the server raids bad, not the rules of raiding put in effect by the guides here or "classic or not" changes that are in place or can be in place.

renordw
12-13-2016, 02:28 PM
I just think that reason can be applied and make the server/game better. I don't think it makes sense to make it "classic" if it makes the game impractical to play, but at the same time I like the fact they do not allow boxing multiple accounts and other rules they follow. I feel this is a good thing.

There are some quality of life changes that wouldn't hurt this game, and that would not diminish the challenging aspects of the game. Like saved spell lists. I honestly don't see how this would hurt anything. Some people feel it's not classic, thus should not be considered as a possible addition to the game on P99.

This topic always garners lots of opinions, and that's all they are. None are right or wrong when it comes to what people personally think would make the game better, as it's arbitrary depending on each individual's own personal whims are as to what makes a game fun or not.

I like what the guides do here. The aspects of the game I do not like really have everything to do with the playerbase and their own selfish greediness particularly when it comes to raiding, but there's nothing Nilbog, Sirken, or Rogean and Co. can do about that.

It seems we have a collection of the most hardcore EQ players here from the past, and their greed is so out of bounds that they have lost total grasp of reality and what is fair or not on this server and in this game.

These asinine neckbeards have made the server raids bad, not the rules of raiding put in effect by the guides here or "classic or not" changes that are in place or can be in place.

Very well said, I love how this post got progressively more angry,

khandman
12-13-2016, 02:56 PM
The server not going to Luclin and beyond is classic enough for me.

Raev
12-13-2016, 03:34 PM
From the last thread, it's clear that the biggest differences in opinions on how the server should function hinge on whether you believe the server should have a "classic feel" or "classic mechanics."

Your opinion is not relevant compared to the staff's opinion. Nilbog wants 100% classic, and Rogean and Sirken were both very hardcore players on live who prefer to reward neckbeards for poopsocking. Again, this is not going to change.

I'm considering trying P2002 or TAKP because a) I'm curious to see Luclin/PoP and b) they aren't so insanely overcrowded. Unfortunately it feels like both of them are a bit below critical mass for players and allow boxing to make up for it. Dunno if anyone has tried them and has a report.

Lhancelot
12-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Your opinion is not relevant compared to the staff's opinion. Nilbog wants 100% classic, and Rogean and Sirken were both very hardcore players on live who prefer to reward neckbeards for poopsocking. Again, this is not going to change.

I'm considering trying P2002 or TAKP because a) I'm curious to see Luclin/PoP and b) they aren't so insanely overcrowded. Unfortunately it feels like both of them are a bit below critical mass for players and allow boxing to make up for it. Dunno if anyone has tried them and has a report.

What are these, other emu servers or what?

Izmael
12-13-2016, 08:35 PM
The best compromise would be a subtle mix of classic feel and classic mechanisms, adjusting for the game age, and so far I'd say the staff has been doing a terrific job as far as finding that compromise is concerned.