PDA

View Full Version : Mysteries of Everquest (or just lazy devs)

Nilstoniakrath
12-13-2016, 10:58 PM
Enough of forming crews to be jerks...

Curious if there are any weird, undeveloped parts of Everquest in the Classic era. One example (from a later expansion) would be the "unknown" zone in Luclin, between Netherbian Lair and Shadowhaven. Another example, which is from Kunark - was there a reason for the Abadoned Crypt in the Field of Bone?

Ikon
12-14-2016, 01:30 AM
Pyzjn dropped the glowing black stone which identified as Varsoons Heart - when charmed she had some dialog regarding NPCs in Qeynos catacombs and a plot to kill her if I remember correctly - quest was never completed and potentially never finished

Worst
12-14-2016, 01:34 AM
There is a door in The Hole that Rogues can unlock, but it leads to no where. It was supposed to be the Plane of Underfoot, which was never added.

I think this is the sort of thing you're talking about.

Flamewraith
12-14-2016, 02:24 AM
There is a door in The Hole that Rogues can unlock, but it leads to no where. It was supposed to be the Plane of Underfoot, which was never added.

I think this is the sort of thing you're talking about.

In modern day EQ the door now leads to the underfoot, so yes, you're correct.

Tupakk
12-14-2016, 02:29 AM
There is a nice little spat fued in HHK if you are interested. Go have a stroll through there and talk to a few guests upstairs. There is a hidden quest in there somewhere but I could never figure it out.

Meep
12-14-2016, 02:36 AM
You'd be amazed what happens if you knock a wall through the back of the minotaur caves in Steamfont :p

renordw
12-14-2016, 12:05 PM
You'd be amazed what happens if you knock a wall through the back of the minotaur caves in Steamfont :p

Amaze me

Alanus
12-14-2016, 12:45 PM
What were the Rathe Mountain sphinxes for?

Sontalak, when hailed, asks for proof of killing the giant leaders. On live, when I handed in the heads that drop off of Tormax's guards to him, he ate them. Did he actually want Tormax's head? What quest is that?

Supposedly there are 3k items undiscovered from the old, classic world. Is there some obscure hail message you need to do to some obscure npc (or charmed npc)? I know there was a rogue GM in Halas you could kill to get some cool looking dagger. I wonder if there's more like that; rarely killed mobs with rare drops

mr_jon3s
12-14-2016, 01:08 PM
From what I have read on forums and what not a lot of the mysteries of everquest were just stuff unfinished by people that got fired/left to do other things and interns.

nyclin
12-14-2016, 01:16 PM
The living froglok king on live had a response to "What sword" when charmed, which was supposedly a remnant of the original Fiery Avenger quest. The response got removed some time after Velious hit.

Found out about it randomly when the Enchanter in my king/tac group charmed the king for shits and another person in the group said "what sword" in response to a conversation going on in the grp about the Mithril 2hander.

Alanus
12-14-2016, 02:01 PM
The living froglok king on live had a response to "What sword" when charmed, which was supposedly a remnant of the original Fiery Avenger quest. The response got removed some time after Velious hit.

Found out about it randomly when the Enchanter in my king/tac group charmed the king for shits and another person in the group said "what sword" in response to a conversation going on in the grp about the Mithril 2hander.

I saw a post on the official EQ forums where a dev confirmed there was an original FA quest, but he said the code for it was long since gone (as were the devs at the time) so he couldn't look up what the original quest was.

EDIT: Found this: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0t3BaYGr9YIJ:www.rerolled.org/showthread.php%3F1905-Aradune-Returns-to-EQ-aka-the-EQ-Nostalgia-thread+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

According to Brad himself:
That was a mess up on our part and I take the blame. The first quest involved talking to several sphinx and figuring out their riddles. This was begun, but then devs were distracted with other priorities. So you couldn't finish the quest (or even get far on it), but we announced it worked. When later we realized it didn't work, we ended up throwing the whole initial quest idea out and put a quest in that actually worked. This was, unfortunately, some time later.

This happening was not something we were proud of, so we never talked about it. Also my mistake.

That solves the sphinx mystery

Nilstoniakrath
12-15-2016, 12:26 AM
What about things that are not a mystery now, but were back in the day... like how I kept looking in northern West Karana for a way to zone into Everfrost? Or wondered if a boat/raft would show up at the dock in the Barbarian Village, to go to Erudin? Stupid me, I kept looking at the map that came in the game box and thought all those zones actually were real...

Jimjam
12-15-2016, 01:58 AM
What about things that are not a mystery now, but were back in the day... like how I kept looking in northern West Karana for a way to zone into Everfrost? Or wondered if a boat/raft would show up at the dock in the Barbarian Village, to go to Erudin? Stupid me, I kept looking at the map that came in the game box and thought all those zones actually were real...

There is the 'fake zone line' in Oasis around orc highway that, thanks to that map, I have only just realised was actually just a dried up riverbed!

There are a few other genuine 'unused zonelines', in Oggok there is a tunnel that doesn't lead anywhere. In South Karana there is an area near the hermit that looks like it is a wk/nk style zone line, but really is just an invisible wall on the plain.

alphys
12-15-2016, 11:38 AM
I think ever quest was supposed to be a lot more ambitious and complete before release. Look at Qeynos. Things are happening in that city, almost like it's alive, NC movement, dialogue, the catacombs and quests. Compared to oggok. I know it wasn't supposed to be a hub city, but just so much left out.

I think when Verant realized people were playing 16 hours a day regardless it was better to focus on shoveling that shit out the door.

Bionic
12-15-2016, 11:53 AM
I've always wanted to know the story behind the portals in the Hole. Why are they so hard to get to, and why have them port to Paineel, Erudin, and Neriak?

Just a strange piece that is in the game that has basically no practical usage, besides for rogues who are stranded out in Odus.

Zaela
12-15-2016, 12:25 PM
In the npc model data files for akanon and kaladimb, there are (buggy) entries for unique gnome and dwarf king models that, as far as I know, were never used. I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely as the IDs for the models are malformed -- every model in the game has a 3-letter identifier like DWM for "dwarf male", but these models uniquely have only 2-letter IDs (CL and KA, respectively).

http://i.imgur.com/IZsKA5B.png

http://i.imgur.com/VROyycp.png

Somehow I feel like the dwarf one is trying to look like a Russian monarch. Maybe it's just me.

tristantio
12-15-2016, 11:49 PM
To get Leo, you must play for exactly 58:41. Then right when it turns to 58:42, walk into Gau's dad's house and talk to the man. He should say: "A weird General Dude just came into my house and went on the roof! Use this chair!" If you fixed the chair earlier, then you can use it to go on the roof. You now fight Leo and if you use a revivify on him, he says "Oh no you win. I will go to the place where the air is beneath the water."

Then, if you go back to Daryl's tomb and use the Shovel you get at Thamasa for feeding the cat food to Gungho (The cat food is found in Mt. Zozo when you press A when touching every single wall until a switch appears. Press the switch and a new town will open near Narshe, and it's called Zagula. Once you're in Zagula everyone's a cat, and talk to the Cat in the Green house. Buy 33 scimitars from him when you have 44 scimitars and he'll give you Cat Food!

The trick with the scimitars and cat food will only work if you've found the Lunkum Dagger in the Phoenix Cave, the most powerful dagger. It's in the room with the green torch. To get to the room with the green torch push the blue torch in the room with all the purple torches. To get to the room with purples torches you have to have put the beer in the old man's cup in the hidden bar in Zagula. In the hidden bar, there's an old man, and if you talk to him, he says "Empty cup. Need Beer!"

The beer is the most valuable item in the game. In order to find it, you have to press the red button that is in Lockes house on the floating continent. In order to get back to the Floating Continent, simply walk into Thamasa and walk into the invisible door which is next to some trees. Then you'll go to a yellow room where the Atma Key is. Use the Atma Key on the hidden door in Narshe and Kekfa's tower will turn into the floating continent. Once you're there, go to Locke's house and push the red button to get the beer) Use the shovel in the place where you get the airship and you'll dig up Leo's dead body. Use Phoenix Down on him and he'll join you! You have to have 77 Scimitars and the Lunkum Dagger for it to work!

Nilstoniakrath
12-15-2016, 11:55 PM
I've always wanted to know the story behind the portals in the Hole. Why are they so hard to get to, and why have them port to Paineel, Erudin, and Neriak?

Just a strange piece that is in the game that has basically no practical usage, besides for rogues who are stranded out in Odus.

Speaking of the Hole/Paineel/Erudin, wtf is up with the Observatory?

mickmoranis
12-16-2016, 12:23 AM
That solves the sphinx mystery

wait sphynxes in rathe?

I always wondered what they were for, whatever they do now is way underwhelming for what they look like they planned on doing with them.

paulgiamatti
12-16-2016, 12:19 PM
I stumbled across this neat white sabretooth in the Trakanon's Teeth files, which I don't think ever got used for anything. Makes me wonder if they were planning on making an all-snowy zone in Kunark and never got around to it.

http://imgur.com/6CcWgbE.png

Maelstrom
12-16-2016, 01:00 PM
In the underground caves beneath Everfrost there is a broken teleporter. I remember a rumor there may have been plans for a "Miragul's Lair" zone or something. IDK but Miragul had a pretty big backstory in EQ lore.

Also, Miragul's robe has to be one of the coolest looking robes I've ever seen.

That dope necro shit!

http://wiki.project1999.com/images/Miragul.png

surron
12-16-2016, 02:53 PM
well "Lost Dungeons of Norrath" brought Miragul's Chamber with the everfrost LDoN dungeons...

surron
12-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Speaking of the Hole/Paineel/Erudin, wtf is up with the Observatory?

thats part of the Luclin lore with the Kerra island cats or some shit

mickmoranis
12-16-2016, 03:01 PM
There was once a great leader. His image is scrawled upon the walls of norraths darkest tomb, Befallen. He ruled with an iron claw and out of fear of coup d'etat killed everyone who helped him gain power and all of his loyal subjects.

Which is why there are no cats in Everquest.

skarlorn
12-16-2016, 03:05 PM
nice cat rooms ref bro

Othniel626
12-16-2016, 07:45 PM
The Half Elf Maiden in East Cabilis locked door (unless that was solved already?).

Also, Qeynos has a ton of unfinished/obscure quest lines with the Sewers and such that were always so interesting to me. Trying to think of a few of them.

Landael
12-16-2016, 08:05 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=529 half elf maiden

kaev
12-16-2016, 08:10 PM

Look up the Miragul lore. IIRC he somehow divided himself into multiple avatars and was researching magic in various places at the same time, including Neriak, Paineel (which he had a hand in founding), and Erudin.

Meep
12-16-2016, 08:23 PM
The Half Elf Maiden in East Cabilis locked door (unless that was solved already?).

Also, Qeynos has a ton of unfinished/obscure quest lines with the Sewers and such that were always so interesting to me. Trying to think of a few of them.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=529 half elf maiden

Brohan Ironforge tells you that his daughter Tayla is missing and was last seen near Nektulos Forest. Bring him proof that she is safe and he will reward you.

Head to Neriak 3rd Gate and talk to Mare X`Lottl in the basement of Maiden's Fancy. Ask her about Tayla, and she will say: "Why do you seek that little scamp when you have Mare right here? If you really want to know where she is, it will cost you. Did I ever tell you that my heart belongs to Jasper?"

Go next door, buy a jasper and give it to her.

Mare X'lottl says 'Jasper! My one and only love! All right.. That Tayla creature was lost in a game of King's Court with a very important and secret merchant. Belyea will not speak of him but that he was some sort of Baron. He did give me this trinket from his new friend and owner of the half-elf scamp. You keep it. It is worth nothing compared to sweet, beautiful Jasper.'

--You receive 'Klok's Seal'--

There is a Half Elf Maiden that spawns in a locked room in Cabilis, that is Tayla. She was won in a game of King's Court, which Carson Mccabe rigged so that the Iksar Haggle Baron would win. She was taken to Cabilis, and is simply called 'Half Elf Maiden'. Find 'A Key' as a ground spawn in front of Haggle Baron Klok, and use this key to open the door to the maiden.

--Give 'Klok's Seal' to 'Half Elf Maiden'. --

Half Elf Maiden says 'Oh! thank you! I did not expect to hear of my family ever again. This seal should grant me protection out of the city if I am careful. Please take this note to my father and let him know I am safe!'
You gain experience!!

--receive 'a sealed letter', which basically says 'father, I am well, I will be living among the elves now, Love Tayla'--

--Give 'a sealed letter' to Brohan Ironforge in Qeynos--

Brohan Ironforge says 'Oh! thank you! Now I know she is safe. My sweet Tayla. Here is your reward, as promised. A hero such as yourself deserves a weapon with which to uphold your noble values.'

I hope nobody called their daughter Tayla IRL, what a jinxed name (along with the Nybright quest) :D

Zekayy
12-16-2016, 11:50 PM
while were at it lets talk about why theres horse or cow poop in west freeport

Dreenk317
12-17-2016, 12:04 AM
while were at it lets talk about why theres horse or cow poop in west freeport

Everyone assumes it's from a horse or a cow. But Boomba the Big isn't far away.....

Zekayy
12-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Everyone assumes it's from a horse or a cow. But Boomba the Big isn't far away.....

lol

elwing
12-17-2016, 04:47 PM
surprised no one pasted this...
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231587

Damn
12-17-2016, 05:09 PM
There was once a great leader. His image is scrawled upon the walls of norraths darkest tomb, Befallen. He ruled with an iron claw and out of fear of coup d'etat killed everyone who helped him gain power and all of his loyal subjects.

Which is why there are no cats in Everquest.

There are no cats in everquest because Tune like the monster he is commited genocide againt the sabretooth tigers of the overthere and the greater karanas for 5 long years until they dwindled into nothingness

paulgiamatti
12-18-2016, 04:04 AM
It's true - they're now an endangered species in Trakanon's Teeth, and the its white-coated cousin has already gone the way of extinction. We need a wildlife preservation coalition. Those damn frogloks are running rampant.

Dreenk317
12-18-2016, 07:37 AM
It's true - they're now an endangered species in Trakanon's Teeth, and the its white-coated cousin has already gone the way of extinction. We need a wildlife preservation coalition. Those damn frogloks are running rampant.

It's because the Kerrans all withdrew to their island. If they were still roaming the world with their vastly superior monk skills, I'm sure their would be more froglok kabobs than frogloks.

zanderklocke
12-19-2016, 11:59 AM
To get Leo, you must play for exactly 58:41. Then right when it turns to 58:42, walk into Gau's dad's house and talk to the man. He should say: "A weird General Dude just came into my house and went on the roof! Use this chair!" If you fixed the chair earlier, then you can use it to go on the roof. You now fight Leo and if you use a revivify on him, he says "Oh no you win. I will go to the place where the air is beneath the water."

Then, if you go back to Daryl's tomb and use the Shovel you get at Thamasa for feeding the cat food to Gungho (The cat food is found in Mt. Zozo when you press A when touching every single wall until a switch appears. Press the switch and a new town will open near Narshe, and it's called Zagula. Once you're in Zagula everyone's a cat, and talk to the Cat in the Green house. Buy 33 scimitars from him when you have 44 scimitars and he'll give you Cat Food!

The trick with the scimitars and cat food will only work if you've found the Lunkum Dagger in the Phoenix Cave, the most powerful dagger. It's in the room with the green torch. To get to the room with the green torch push the blue torch in the room with all the purple torches. To get to the room with purples torches you have to have put the beer in the old man's cup in the hidden bar in Zagula. In the hidden bar, there's an old man, and if you talk to him, he says "Empty cup. Need Beer!"

The beer is the most valuable item in the game. In order to find it, you have to press the red button that is in Lockes house on the floating continent. In order to get back to the Floating Continent, simply walk into Thamasa and walk into the invisible door which is next to some trees. Then you'll go to a yellow room where the Atma Key is. Use the Atma Key on the hidden door in Narshe and Kekfa's tower will turn into the floating continent. Once you're there, go to Locke's house and push the red button to get the beer) Use the shovel in the place where you get the airship and you'll dig up Leo's dead body. Use Phoenix Down on him and he'll join you! You have to have 77 Scimitars and the Lunkum Dagger for it to work!

1. If you bring a Pokemon with Strength to the SS Anne, DO NOT board the SS Anne! You will be able to use Strength on the truck. Underneath the truck, you will find a pokeball containing the legendary Mew.

2. To get pikablu, get all 150 pokemon including mew and then get the itemfinder. Then surf in the unknown dungoen where mewtwo was and use the itemfinder. Then you will find a pokeball that has a note in it that says rare pokemon found by Cinnibar island. Then go to Cinnibar island and surf on the right side half on water half on land and then you will find a pikablu.

3. Supposedly there is a way to get into Bill's "secret" garden. The first thing you have to do is get a starter pokemon play the game untill you are allowed to trade, trade that to another game, then repeat to get the other two. Then trade them all back so you have 1 bulbusar, 1 charmander, and 1 squirtle. Then you play the game until you get to teh electric plant, stoping those three characters from evolving so they stay in their stage 1. In the electric plant you capture elctrobuzz and go directly to Bill's house and avoid all the trainers and run from all battles. Move Electrabuzz to your leader and have the 3 others following and 2 empty spaces. Then you go into Bill's house and go to the back wall and supposidly hit A and a door appears after a message saying, the wall sounds hollow. Go through the door and Bill's Garden is there with all the charmander's, bulbusar's, and squirtle's you want. Then in the back of the garden theres a rock and when you touch it, mew comes out and attacks you, battle, capture and you have mew. then you have to get out of the garden and save right after you leave Bill's house or mew dies.

4. Saving Aeris Method One: First off, you must be nice to Aeris throughout the game whenever you have a choice. When you come to the old man in the pipe in Midgar, you supposedly can let Aeris care for him to make him feel better. You later see a sad scene of the man dying. After Aeris' death, go back to midgar and by this time you should have found a YELLOW underwater materia orb, not the blue one. You talk to the man outside the pipe, anonymously called the "General", and he says how sad he is that that "nice girl" died. He says he may be able to help you, and sends you to Wall Market to pick up a Revival potion. You take it to Aeris' grave to bring her back.

5. Saving Aeris Method Two: Every player of the game is familiar with the revive materia, the one that contains the spells life and life2. What most do not know is the fact that this materia can gain AP even after it has been mastered, with an interesting result. Revive can be leveled up to level four, even though it only has three visible levels.

To obtain the extra level, you must first accumulate 800,000 AP after revive has been mastered (Depending on how you played the game, you may have to get up to 1,500,000 AP. The most efficient way to go about doing this is to obtain Cloud's triple growth weapon, the Apocalypse (as far as is known, no other weapon works), and fasten the mastered revive materia to it. You should then go to a place where you can get lots of AP, such as the North Cave. Fight the Magic Pots (the ones that ask for elixirs) until you have accumulated the required AP. You should then have received another spell for revive, Resurrect.

It's obvious what you must use the new spell for. The next place that you must go is to Aeris' house in Midgar. If you have not already obtained the Sector 5 key, you must go to the Bone Village and have the diggers dig next to the airplane. Once you have the key, proceed to Midgar, and visit Aeris' house. Go to her room.

Nothing will happen at first, but you can spur on an important series of events if you use four tissues (lose or win fights in the battle arena) next to Aeris' bed. After you do this, Cloud will be overcome with grief, and will yell, "Why did you have to die?." Once he composes himself, the other people in your party will come out, and Cloud will discuss with them his desire to bring Aeris back to life. They will question you at first, but will soon be brought to agreement.

Your group will suggest that you visit the church in Midgar, where you may find some insight on how to get Aeris back.

On the way to the church, use the savepoint to access your PHS. Make sure that your party includes Cait Sith. Then enter the church (if this is your first time in it after disk one, you will see a ghost of Aeris). The two children who appear next to the flower bed will ask where the flower girl is, but will then notice the cat (Cait Sith) in your group. They will ask to play with the cat, and Cait will agree to it and leave the church with the children. The ghost of Aeris will then appear before you. She will mention the resurrect spell (which you should already have), and will tell you to go to the Ancient City, which is your next destination. Retrieve Cait Sith from the children and proceed.

At the city, go to the spot where Bugenhagen inserted the key (the waterfall with the crystal in the middle of it) and enter the waterfall. Here, Cloud will remember what Aeris told him, and will take the Revive materia out of his pocket (or wherever it was at the time). He will mutter, "I never got to tell you...," and begin to cry. Composing himself, Cloud will place the materia on the pedestal in the center of the waterfall and kneel before it in prayer. The materia glows brightly and begins to shimmer with a green light. It then turns into a ball of light and shatters. In front of Cloud, the crystal glows so brightly that he must hide his eyes from it. When the light goes down again, Cloud looks up and sees a ghostly image of Aeris, which tells him to go back to Midgar and enter the Church.

At the church, the image of Aeris will appear again, but this time it will not vanish. Your group inspects the flower bed, and Aeris gets up and walks towards you. It is then that you notice that she is not a ghost. As if to answer your unspoken question, Aeris looks at Cloud and says, "Don't worry, Cloud, it really is me... Maybe now we can do all those things that we never finished the first time around..."

Lagaidh
12-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Does anybody remember the spots early in the game where anybody could sort of port? You could get outside zone geometry and get insta ported to another spot in the zone. One was the bridge from EK to NK, if you swam under it you'd end up... I can't remember where... WK? further into NK?

Another was WCommons you could run up the north side wall at some point and fall over it and be insta ported. I can't remember exactly where.

These were fixed early on, but I remember using them a few times as the original Lagaidh.

Anybody remember this? Where you got ported to?