PDA

View Full Version : Creating Wizard for Strictly Porting

1stCrusader
12-19-2016, 04:42 AM
Fellow Norrathians,

I am contemplating creating a Dark Elf Wizard to join Dial-A-Port and try to get high enough to make money porting. Is this a viable solution to start a wizzy to be able to get some good plat on an account?

Also, I'm not looking at high end-raiding or min/maxing, so what stat allocation and deity choice would be the most benefit for this lifestyle? I'm aware Sol Ro gets the ability for the rings.

Thanks!

Computer Man
12-19-2016, 05:00 AM
I think you might make more as a druid but certainly a market for wizards too (some people just like a sow etc)... and remember you can port into Plane of Hate and up to Plane of Sky too ^^

RDawg816
12-19-2016, 05:11 AM
How much money are you after? Are you doing this to fund an alt/main? There might be better options, depending on your answers....

1stCrusader
12-19-2016, 05:21 AM
How much money are you after? Are you doing this to fund an alt/main? There might be better options, depending on your answers....

Need to fund getting a wurmy for my 42 Paladin main and to do some slight twink on alts. Trying to build up some plat for the overall account as well.

Computer Man
12-19-2016, 05:23 AM
I could talk min/max but I don't think this is the way the OP wants to do it, and rightly so...enjoy the journey ^

RDawg816
12-19-2016, 05:33 AM
I could talk min/max but I don't think this is the way the OP wants to do it, and rightly so...enjoy the journey ^
I'm not talking about min-maxing. I'm talking about levelling up a wizard for ports versus a druid. Druid can also buff for donations. Druid can most likely find a group faster. Druid can also solo easier...snare at level 1, sow at 14, and charm kiting can be done naked. A druid can also PL his buddies (or strangers for plat.)

To me, that sounds like a better investment for his needs. Alternatively, he could farm on his paladin. :)

Leiker
12-19-2016, 05:40 AM
if youre goal is make platinum this has got to be the dumbest solution of all time

youll make what..500pp an hour porting? if ya lucky? maybe more or less?

and youre gnona spend....100+ hours to level him? aye carumba

just level your trashcan pally and at 50+ form exp groups at big camp drops. that is your best option by far

This.

Wurmslayer is a terrible gear goal for a Paladin anyway.

1stCrusader
12-19-2016, 05:42 AM
This.

Wurmslayer is a terrible gear goal for a Paladin anyway.

Sword of Morning it is then :)

1stCrusader
12-19-2016, 05:45 AM
if youre goal is make platinum this has got to be the dumbest solution of all time

youll make what..500pp an hour porting? if ya lucky? maybe more or less?

and youre gnona spend....100+ hours to level him? aye carumba

just level your trashcan pally and at 50+ form exp groups at big camp drops. that is your best option by far

You have a suggestion on big camps for my trashcan fuckboy Paladin?

RDawg816
12-19-2016, 05:54 AM
I sent you a PM.

Leiker
12-19-2016, 06:14 AM
Once you get 50+ earning cash becomes a lot quicker.

Just grinding exp in Sebilis and alphaing gems and /randoming trash will probably earn you more money than porting.

And if you get a big ticket item like JBB, Hiero Cloak, RBG or Fungi, then things will be awesome for you.

Velks and HS also offer some nice chance to earn decent plat while grinding exp anyway. All of those require 50+ though.

Rygar
12-19-2016, 06:29 AM
My suggestion since paladin is level 42... Get indifferent faction with Halas by handing in some gnoll fangs, get a Mage to summon you 7 100% weight reduction bags.

Train smithing to 21 at trainer, buy a portable forge, buy 5 stacks of water. Slaughter goblins in permafrost, loot only the ore. Combine 3 small bricks + water to make a large brick, 3 large bricks + water to make a block. The goblins can drop blocks directly too.

Get your bags full and vendor at halas, blocks sell for like 88p each or something. At end of day, ground transfer your WR bags to a level 1 barbarian alt and corpse it.

Should make a ton of money. May want to just gain a few pally levels to make it go faster, and then can also farm items like root nets if camp isn't taken.

Should make more than porting this way and get your wurmslayer in a day or two.

1stCrusader
12-19-2016, 06:47 AM
My suggestion since paladin is level 42... Get indifferent faction with Halas by handing in some gnoll fangs, get a Mage to summon you 7 100% weight reduction bags.

Train smithing to 21 at trainer, buy a portable forge, buy 5 stacks of water. Slaughter goblins in permafrost, loot only the ore. Combine 3 small bricks + water to make a large brick, 3 large bricks + water to make a block. The goblins can drop blocks directly too.

Get your bags full and vendor at halas, blocks sell for like 88p each or something. At end of day, ground transfer your WR bags to a level 1 barbarian alt and corpse it.

Should make a ton of money. May want to just gain a few pally levels to make it go faster, and then can also farm items like root nets if camp isn't taken.

Thanks for the suggestion!

fugazi
12-19-2016, 06:56 AM
Tongue-punch someone from behind and have them camp lower dogs for you. Jelek Icepaw drops a 19/25 10ac 50mana clickie purge 1h sword that is nodrop. Get that.

Barring that, keep on playing and rock a Baton of Faith for DPS or a Sword of Mourning if you believe that getting to press 'bash' is the best thing there is.

Computer Man
12-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Tongue-punch someone from behind and have them camp lower dogs for you. Jelek Icepaw drops a 19/25 10ac 50mana clickie purge 1h sword that is nodrop. Get that.

!

Jimjam
12-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Are you on red? I think I have a sword of mourning rotting there.

1stCrusader
12-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Are you on red? I think I have a sword of mourning rotting there.

On Blue. Thanks for the offer, though.

maskedmelon
12-19-2016, 09:10 AM
How does one "tongue-punch"?

jolanar
12-19-2016, 09:22 AM

I'm confused, why bother combining the bricks? Just sell it all straight to the vendor. The prices match so that you don't get more money from 1 regular brick than you do from 3 large bricks etc. Otherwise great suggestion, Permafrost is a great farming zone for melee/pet classes if you can sell in Halas and have weight bags. I would even suggest looting all the fine steel and bronze/ringmail as well.

Leveling up a character to make money from ports is a bad idea, unless you just also really want a wizard alt.

Whirled
12-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Exactly where does one buy this portable forge? Isn't that SOL/POP stuff?

Jimjam
12-19-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm confused, why bother combining the bricks? Just sell it all straight to the vendor. The prices match so that you don't get more money from 1 regular brick than you do from 3 large bricks etc. Otherwise great suggestion, Permafrost is a great farming zone for melee/pet classes if you can sell in Halas and have weight bags. I would even suggest looting all the fine steel and bronze/ringmail as well.

Leveling up a character to make money from ports is a bad idea, unless you just also really want a wizard alt.

I think the idea of the combines is so you can carry more blocks (because of the assumption of the portable forge being taken to the dungeon)... I'm not sure if portable forges exist in p99 though?

Speedi
12-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Fellow Norrathians,

I am contemplating creating a Dark Elf Wizard to join Dial-A-Port and try to get high enough to make money porting. Is this a viable solution to start a wizzy to be able to get some good plat on an account?

Also, I'm not looking at high end-raiding or min/maxing, so what stat allocation and deity choice would be the most benefit for this lifestyle? I'm aware Sol Ro gets the ability for the rings.

Thanks!

If you are really only doing this for porting, make a druid not a wizard.

Main reason is a druid can port + sow the traveler. I could go on with port loc's + buffs for the traveler, but I think sow is enough.

Alanus
12-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Porting for cash is nice, but really until you get to the higher levels it's not as glamorous. I have made 1.5k per hour porting before, but that was back before the change to allow ejacs from anywhere. Succors across SG have gotten me a lot, too (I got 4 rubies for 1 succor once before). Succor also takes a crapton of mana and is dangerous, though.

However, you will make a lot less unless you have all of the ports (CS/GD/WL/EJ/etc). Although I'd imagine porting to hate/sky would net you some nice plat. The amount of effort it takes to get to that point would pretty much negate the benefit.

There's a lot of good cash camps out there that are pally doable. Once you get 50+, you can camp seb, velks, etc... and make good plat.

Ravager
12-19-2016, 11:29 AM
If you are really only doing this for porting, make a druid not a wizard.

Main reason is a druid can port + sow the traveler. I could go on with port loc's + buffs for the traveler, but I think sow is enough.
Not to mention track. Made a lot of plat on my druid just by popping into zones to see if a named was up.

Sorn
12-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Exactly where does one buy this portable forge? Isn't that SOL/POP stuff?

That's from the House of Thule expansion, I think?

I'm not sure where Rygar pulled up that advice but I don't think he's ever done it himself on this server. XD There are no portable forges in p99!

Jimjam
12-19-2016, 11:46 AM
My wizard has never been asked to port to Sky or Hate.

Alanus
12-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Not to mention track. Made a lot of plat on my druid just by popping into zones to see if a named was up.

Plus you can be halfling and get dat dere exp bonus

cormag
12-19-2016, 11:52 AM

fungi king

Izmael
12-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Can just solo camp Gazughi rings and sell at 5-6k a pop, mobs are level 15ish, just takes a while.

Also can solo camp Gobbie earrings, mobs are 25ish (?).

At 42, the FBSS camp is a decent grouping spot as well.

rollin5k
12-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Oddly little known fact. Wizards can teleport you straight the qeynos hills. Wizards > druids for ports in many other ways too.

fadetree
12-19-2016, 01:01 PM
qhills? I've never seen that. There's a port to WK, but that's the closest as far as I know.

Whirled
12-19-2016, 01:03 PM
I think he means the WK:Evac.
The second cast leaves you by the zoneline path to QH in WK

Rygar
12-19-2016, 01:17 PM
That's from the House of Thule expansion, I think?

I'm not sure where Rygar pulled up that advice but I don't think he's ever done it himself on this server. XD There are no portable forges in p99!

Haha, it was indeed one of those items in my 'One day i'm going to do this and be super smart', had no clue portable forges don't exist?? you can get other ones, never bothered looking this up.

Sigh... this idea kinda sucks now, although the bricks do sell for decent cash, along with FS long swords if you into making multiple runs.

Caiu
12-19-2016, 01:24 PM
You can farm root nets on that paladin and walk out of perma with quite a bit of cash. Shiny Brass Idols would also be nice but would work better for a class that can bind so you can corpse your idols. Both these camps are taken quite often although the root nets less so.

Sorn
12-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Oddly little known fact. Wizards can teleport you straight the qeynos hills. Wizards > druids for ports in many other ways too.

Wizards have a WK port but you can succor/evac across WK as either port class to land right in front of the QH zoneline. Related, I raced a bard from NK druid rings to Halas once and beat him by several minutes using Egress twice. The bard maintains he could beat me to Permafrost entrance. He also called me a cheater. :P

The translocate spells for wizards are very handy, though. The ultimate lazy spell line, a wizard can just park themselves in a high traffic area and translocate people to most destinations and not have to worry about porting themselves anywhere. They eventually gave druids similar spells (the Zephyr line) on live, but we'll never see that on p99.

Sadiki
12-19-2016, 03:40 PM
How does one "tongue-punch"?
I'm not sure if the P99 forum is an appropriate place to learn sexual education.

maskedmelon
12-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Ohhhhhh, I get it now:3

Wouldn't that be RMT though? :/

fugazi
12-19-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure if the P99 forum is an appropriate place to learn sexual education.

I'm sure many of us learned a thing or two from an older and more experienced mangina wood elf druid back in the day!