PDA

View Full Version : PvP Event Disccusion

Hobby
01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
As I plan for the next event, the location is elluding me.

Greater Faydark was a good place in the sense it had a well-defined safe spot, everyone could bind there...but it was much too large.

East Freeport was good, extremely small though and the option to aggro guards was very much there...

Both zones I wouldnt be opposed to using again...Gfay would be my preferred spot though as it is larger...but I am at a loss for another location.

So what say you? It would have to be a zone large enough for over 100 people to be able to PVP in, and preferrably melee can bind there.

Arena was my first option as it is large enough for that many people and it was intended for PvP anyways. Problem is, there is no real terrain to use.

Other zones that popped into my head was North Qeynos (or south, whatever connects to the hills). It has a larger area than freeport does (I BELIEVE) and bind-melee friendly.

Anyways, post your thoughts and opinions. The sooner I get a suitable location the better...So far I am loooking towards Arena, just want some more feedback.

Grommel
01-23-2011, 11:26 PM
If I'm recalling correctly, North Karana has the gypsy camp melee can bind in, and it's a big zone that you can avoid any npc's you'd want to.

nalkin
01-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Kedge with no mobs up.

Droxx
01-23-2011, 11:27 PM
What's wrong with the arena?

Plane of Time A is sick, but obv can't bind there on a permanent basis.

Hobby
01-23-2011, 11:28 PM
It is just not very scenic. I enjoyed GFAY the most due to its enviromental factors...arena is grey and flat :/

brentwoodbam
01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I think Everfrost would be a very cool choice, as long as most would agree to not venture out TOO far. With all the different paths and nooks, it'd be quite the cool PVP zone to me.

Hobby
01-23-2011, 11:32 PM
unfortunately, they can not bind IN everfrost. The less zoning players have to do, the more enjoyable the event.

And the option to bind melee in a zone not normally bind-able will not be open.

Droxx
01-23-2011, 11:35 PM
I'd like to see the Arena be given a shot, personally. Between the spires around it, and the platform, there's plenty of z-axis and LoS breakers. Plus you can stage on the outside level without having to worry about getting ganked.

Benebric
01-23-2011, 11:35 PM
If it's possible to bind outside Paineel or Erudin (In Toxxulia) I think Toxxulia would be a great zone for it. Not too large, very easy to get ambushed etc. I'm just not sure if you can bind near the zone line or not.

brentwoodbam
01-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Oh what a bummer. There are many options, all have their flaws and good points. Most zones that would be a good choice are large I.E Butcherblock, Steamfont. Gfay would even be good again, the biggest factor is that we're having a blast PVPing, the venue isnt as important. Although i do agree that environment is a big factor in making it true PvP, Arena is pretty bland.

Secrets
01-23-2011, 11:40 PM
You should do the CTF PvP event we wrote a few months ago again ^_^

(plane of nilbog, or potimea)

Hits911
01-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Kerra Isle!

YendorLootmonkey
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
I know you probably can't do it, but it would be kinda epic to despawn Castle Mistmoore of NPCs for a night and divide up into teams... one team defending the castle, the other team assaulting. Multiple routes of attack, chokepoints, etc.

brentwoodbam
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM
I know you probably can't do it, but it would be kinda epic to despawn Castle Mistmoore of NPCs for a night and divide up into teams... one team defending the castle, the other team assaulting. Multiple routes of attack, chokepoints, etc.

This.

Hobby
01-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Well lets not turn this into a Starwars Battlefront (or any other large scale fights like Battlfield 1942) type deal... the pvp simply does not work as the games. It would be a good location for an actual PvP game but not for eq :/

The Toxx idea could be interesting, and so would Rathe Mountains -- Easily block off the exit leading to the rest of the zone, but factions and alot of mobs there that would be hazardous.

Arena will more than likely be the next location, Ill set up a safe corner or something and whatnot... But id prefer to not constantly use it. Gfay there may be a way for me to set up a certain radius so players cant run through the entire zone...If that was possible then it would be absolutely amazing.

zt004
01-23-2011, 11:56 PM

Awesome idea

baub
01-24-2011, 12:05 AM
How about some ToT or BotB action

Hobby
01-24-2011, 12:11 AM
This is for PvP, other events will be held officially by Rogean and Nilbog when they can get a break from kunark.

Secrets
01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Could steal my DAOC siege idea, lol -- permalock a door and have a castle to siege. (there's a placeable object you can use in qeytoqrg that looks like a guard tower that you can place multiple times for a castle effect.)

One team will be put in the castle, one team will be put outside the door. People will have to dps the door to get it down, while the people on top rain down hellfire to them. If after 30 minutes the keep lord is not blown up by the assaulting forces, then the defending team will win. Otherwise, the attacking team will win.

Otherwise I would suggest trying importing a Quake or Counter-Strike map into the game, change the base runspeed of entities like you would for gmspeed, and make the game into Quake III. Can use a zone like aviak or nektropos as an unused zone shortname. OpenZone also supports importing maps from Q3. Downside would be having to download the new map.

Lazortag
01-24-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm okay with keeping things simple. Tox was a pretty good suggestion I felt.
edit: I'm also okay with Gfay. Future events like this will probably have more people anyway, and Gfay really isn't *that* big.

waldo
01-24-2011, 12:40 AM
could do it in Highkeep or highpass. YOu can bind in both.

Hobby
01-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Both zones have alot of aggroing mobs, i want this to be PvP as much as possible (meaning as little npc interference aspossible).

Gfay was wonderful, maybe setting up arbitrary lines to keep people in a sligtly smaller area.

I was resing people all the way up by crushbone, it was ridiculous lol.

Scrooge
01-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Plane of Fear!

Acillatem
01-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Maybe a city seige? I know on TZ back in 1999 every Fri/Sat nite was a mass PvP battle over Neriak/Nek/EC/WFP....Evils trying to push into WFP and Goods trying to push into Neriak......

Good vs Evil might not be an option here, but maybe Guild vs Guild can be? Guilds form Alliances.....just like lunchtime football back in HS.....have IB and DA as Captains, /ran for 1st pick, pick your Allies, and let the games begin.

Can maybe do a continuation of events....like this FRI start in Nek and it's between EC zone and the bridge....whichever side wins determines whether the fight goes to Nek between Bridge & Neriak or whether the fight goes to WFP next week.

Allows a "storyline" of sorts and gives the PvP some meaning...

Some of my best memories of PvP on TZ were these FRI/SAT mass server engagements. It was just for bragging rights....but made for interesting forum convo the rest of the week.

Hobby
01-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Guys we are getting off topic here. I am doing these PvP events for exactly that -- to pvp. None of this other shit.

Guild wars and city sieges and shit like that is not the intention nor will i ever try to organize it. It sounds fun, it really does...but it will not happen

YendorLootmonkey
01-24-2011, 07:35 AM
You're putting a lot of restrictions on stuff... bindable zones? That's city zones, and Arena. All city zones have a lot of NPC guards. Gfay is the most open of these zones, and then there's Arena. Those are pretty much your choices given the bindable restriction, no? If you lift that restriction, Toxx and Everfrost would be pretty cool.

Jenni D
01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
yendor for prez

Hobby
01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
I already said that, yendor. There are roughly 4 or 5 zones that melee can bind in and still have pletny of room to pvp. It comes down to which place would people prefer out of those.

Curmudgen
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I like the idea of the newbie yard. Freeport and qeynos both have largish areas between gates to town and zonelines, the guards don't wander as I recall and stay right near town gates. The guard aggro range are fairly small. The area is bindable, and you can split up into north and south sections or east west sections for gathering prior to charge and attack. The time frame of this is short so while there is a bit of bother to newbies it won't be long. Also most towns are nearish to port sites one zone over.

Labyrrinth
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Odus !!!

jilena
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
If you are flipping the PvP switch on, why not flip the bindable switch on and have more options? I'm sure it won't be too game breaking to have some melee bound in places they can't usually bind post event. *shrug*

Dr4z3r
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
What about the Paineel mini-newbie zone?

It's open, but hilly, bindable by melee, has very clear boundaries around a smallish area, and presents little danger from mobs (well, lots of aggressive mobs, but they're lvls 1-3).

As long as no one manages to throw someone else into The Hole, I think it should be solid all-around.

to0p
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Gfay is the best zone in the game to pvp.

Extunarian
01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Gfay and toxx - especially toxx - sound interesting

h0tr0d (shaere)
01-25-2011, 12:26 AM
The simpler the better.

Hobby
01-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Paineel escaped me...I will have to go check that place out as it could be a fairly fun event..

Plus all you people that ellude me and have to petition later for PvP turned off.....you'll wont have ANYWHERE to go! *locks the elevate*