PDA

View Full Version : Another reason P1999 is awesome

fischsemmel
01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
By popular demand, the TLDR version: P1999 managing to be so awesome with just a handful of unpaid devs/coders has restored my hope that someday there may be more truly awesome MMOs/video games.

It's gonna take me a second to get to the reason, cause you need a bit of an intro to see where I am coming from. But that aside:

I'm really demanding when it comes to MMOs (and video games in general, I suppose. Or even just games (like D&D; I'm a super nerd) in general). I have fun with good ones, but I get really fired up about flaws in even the best games. I get really, REALLY pissed off when there are balance issues or bugs or other flaws in a game that are glaringly obvious that don't get fixed... especially if the fix would/could be relatively simple. And I just go insane when stuff gets implemented in a game when it is plain to a 7-year-old that the incoming change is just freaking retarded.

I understand that building and maintaining and updating a video game, especially an MMO, is no easy task. And I'm sure that I do NOT understand exactly how much effort goes into maintaining public relations, dealing with investors, coding, and all that. But I still have always refused to believe that it was SO FREAKING HARD to deal with these things that they were legitimate excuses for a game to be/remain buggy, or unbalanced, or whatever.

But no matter where I went with this mindset, I always ran into people who would counter with "well you just don't understand how challenging it is to make a game/MMO." And I was starting to believe that maybe they were right, maybe it just wasn't feasible to actually make and maintain a really, really amazing game.

Well no more! P1999 has proven to me that it is absolute bullshit when any of these excuses are flung around regarding a game being buggy or unbalanced or just plain crappy.

A handful of unpaid, hardworking people have managed to backwards engineer a decade-old MMO from a modern version of it, some patch notes, and some archived websites. They know of balance issues and bugs that exist, and I'm confident would be able to remedy these things if that were their goal with P1999. They HAVE fixed issues that were present in the original EQ that aren't good for/necessary for the classic experience. They don't worry about tiptoeing around on the forums or ingame. They've managed to keep P1999 alive for longer than half of the MMOs released in the last 5 years.

This is proof to me that the kind of game(s) I am looking for really can be made. But of course, until they eventually are, I'll be right here enjoying and supporting P1999.

Freaking awesome.

mitic
01-24-2011, 10:01 AM
so isses!

karsten
01-24-2011, 10:19 AM
bro i did not read all of that

fischsemmel
01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
bro i did not read all of that

Ok.

Shannacore
01-24-2011, 11:41 AM
WTB a summary

fischsemmel
01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
WTB a summary

"We play P1999! We're mature! We totally don't need or even like instant gratification, and hahaha look at the WoW kiddies who cry and cut themselves when they don't get exactly what they want right when they want it!"

But you need a TLDR for a post that would take you 3 minutes to read.

:(

jilena
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I think what you are seeing is what happens when you have gamers/the community driving the development rather than money. Also, I'm sure not having shareholders to answer to when you want to tell the community/playerbase to go fuck themselves and stfu is helpful lol.

Shannacore
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
"We play P1999! We're mature! We totally don't need or even like instant gratification, and hahaha look at the WoW kiddies who cry and cut themselves when they don't get exactly what they want right when they want it!"

But you need a TLDR for a post that would take you 3 minutes to read.

:(

I'm not even sure what the hell this means so I'm just going to go ahead and read your post.

Shannacore
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh

"By popular demand, the TLDR: P1999 managing to be so awesome with just a handful of unpaid devs/coders has restored my hope that someday there may be more truly awesome MMOs/video games."

Sweet.

It's fun, enjoy your time on the server. PST to Tralina for ports ~

fischsemmel
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not even sure what the hell this means so I'm just going to go ahead and read your post.

In general, I get the vibe that players on this server resent new MMOs and their appeal to casual players and their instant gratification and so on and so forth. So I found it a bit ironic that the first few people to reply in my thread couldn't handle reading a few paragraphs of text.

jilena
01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
In general, I get the vibe that players on this server resent new MMOs and their appeal to casual players and their instant gratification and so on and so forth. So I found it a bit ironic that the first few people to reply in my thread couldn't handle reading a few paragraphs of text.

That's the general vibe in any game that isn't WoW lol. If you play any MMO that has been released post WoW. If you say you don't like anything about the game it's GO BACK TO WOW NOOB OMG YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CHALLENGE OF KILLING THE SAME 3 MOBS 750 TIMES IN A ROW TO GET 1 LEVEL EVERY 6 DAYS. GO BACK TO WOW WHERE YOU ONLY HAVE TO KILL THE SAME 3 MOBS 125 TIMES TO LEVEL ONCE A DAY INSTEAD BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY A LARGER TIME INVESTMENT IN REPETITION = MORE SKILL.

Not gonna lie though, I am sad that EQLive is so sissified, EQ2 was so terribad boring, and Vanguard was an utter failure : (

Icaro
01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Support.
Show your gratitude.
DONATE!

Razdeline
01-25-2011, 07:38 AM
I see where this guy is comming from; And I totally agree. The dev's here really raised the Titanic with this project.

Pycoba_rng
01-25-2011, 07:44 AM
WTB a summary

Please excuse posts like this one and others. You will find there are a ton of rude people on these forums. In game ,however I assure you there are plenty of good folk.

Nice to see some positive posting for a change.
Keep it up maybe it'll rub off on some of these people.

~Pycoba

Omnimorph
01-25-2011, 08:06 AM
I thought this post was an ironic rant at first :/ Kind of disappointed...

john_savage1982
01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I think what you are seeing is what happens when you have gamers/the community driving the development rather than money. Also, I'm sure not having shareholders to answer to when you want to tell the community/playerbase to go fuck themselves and stfu is helpful lol.

The only reason p1999 is working and devs can say go fuck yourself is because people that come back to classic EQ are obsessed enough to take any abuse to be able to have a chance at the pixel raid loot with +10 stat X.

Chanus
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't recall any of the staff telling a player to go fuck himself and stfu that didn't 100% deserve it.

fischsemmel
01-25-2011, 05:45 PM
The only reason p1999 is working and devs can say go fuck yourself is because people that come back to classic EQ are obsessed enough to take any abuse to be able to have a chance at the pixel raid loot with +10 stat X.

Some dev come tell this guy to gtfo and stfu, please.