PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question (Sorry if this goes elsewhere)

Emorainbow
01-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi, I was referred to your fine server by a friend and I just had a few questions. I would really appreciate anyone taking the time to answer them to the best of their ability.

I started playing EQ when I was a kid, it was my first MMO. I was pretty terrible at it but the community was the best I've ever seen in an MMO and that has stayed with me through other MMOs, who have never been able to compare. I remember a guild took me in, coached me up and helped me with buffs, items anyway they could. It was truly amazing how good they were to me, and even complete strangers did much of the same.

So my simple question is, how is the community on Project 1999?
I've played other games on free servers and sometimes the people are not so fun to game with. I'd hate for that to be the case on a game I best remember for good people.

Also, how is the population and the activity?
Can you get a group with ease, or is the server a wasteland most of the time? Do people actively look for groups and do things as a guild?

Again sorry for my newb questions, I'd just rather get honest opinions from people who play on here. Thank you in advance. :]

Chanus
01-24-2011, 04:18 PM
If you avoid the forums, the community is pretty great. Lots of awesome people around.

The population is pretty decent, across the board. "Getting a group with ease" depends on how you go about getting a group, but if you're willing to put in more effort than sitting around shouting with LFG flag on, you can do pretty well.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
01-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I post on the forums and I'm great.

Chanus
01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Other than you, obv.

ir0nfist
01-24-2011, 04:42 PM
So my simple question is, how is the community on Project 1999?
The community is decent, but you may run into more turbulent waters as you approach the level cap. There are some people that feel they are extremely important because of their level/position within the server. Just a few narcissistic fat heads. Best to ignore/side step them.

Also, how is the population and the activity?
Population is good. You can find groups at any level range.

Emorainbow
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Follow up question: Are there any classes that are more needed/less played? I hate rolling in as the class there are plenty of.

Thanks for the replies!

Chanus
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
The classes that are less played are that way because most people don't enjoy are aren't effective at playing them. Play what you want to play or you'll burn yourself out. There aren't enough people for any class to be overpopulated with actually good players.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Tankz. Do not roll a ranger. Ranger ruined patially by use of Showeq, which ALL the guilds use later in game, and partially by being rangers. Also, i think kith is broken? or is that fixed now?

Chanus
01-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Kith is undead all day currently, but that's going to be fixed eventually (whenever they do the next update).

Shiftin
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Follow up question: Are there any classes that are more needed/less played? I hate rolling in as the class there are plenty of.

Thanks for the replies!

Play whatever class you want to play. There is a weird lack of rangers at the high end right now, but there's been a draught of almost every class at the high end briefly at one point or another. It's cyclical.

Whatever class you have the most fun playing, play that class. If you excel, there will always be a place for you.

The current high end content situation is a dumpster fire and will likely stay that way until kunark is out, so enjoy your time leveling experiencing the rest of norrath.

Dantes
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Another one of these threads. Awesome. You should play a Froglok Lion Tamer. I can never find them in the game. Whenever I want to tame lions there's none of these guys on the /lfg list.

Shiftin
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Tankz. Do not roll a ranger. Ranger ruined patially by use of Showeq, which ALL the guilds use later in game, and partially by being rangers. Also, i think kith is broken? or is that fixed now?

Yep, that's why every guild is recruiting rangers specifically, because our rampant cheating renders them useless.

Fourthmeal
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
I post on the forums and I'm great.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Thought that was mainly so the rng gear doesn't just rot or get looted by lesser guilds. I'm repeating hearsay here and apologize if it came off as accusatory. Bad form if that's the case.

Shiftin
01-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Thought that was mainly so the rng gear doesn't just rot or get looted by lesser guilds. I'm repeating hearsay here and apologize if it came off as accusatory. Bad form if that's the case.

What you hear from people about guilds they are not in is rarely laden with truth and should be taken with a shaker full of salt.

Tracking + ranged DPS (even if it's not on monk or rogue melee DPS levels) vs mobs that are incredibly resistant to level 50 spells and have unresistable AEs is nothing to laugh at.

Darkforge
01-24-2011, 06:12 PM
The server itself IS AWESOME. Just about 100% of the people i have meet have been nice. You have to remember that 90% or more of these people played back on EQ when it first came out.

The server pop, is nice. I have to say i quit EQ live about year and half ago and then it MAYBE had 2000 people on, on the weekends on a given servers. I have seen this hit 1k on the weekend. So i say we have a GREAT pop for server.

Any other info you might need just give me a shout!!! Thx

Darkforge.

Emorainbow
01-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys, seems good for the most part so far. :]

Is there any repository of knowledge for the game in the state it's played here? Most sites are obviously updated to the current live build.

Chanus
01-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Check the Library section of these forums.