PDA

View Full Version : new player with a few questions

muddy27
01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Greetings, just wanted to post and say hello and that I look forward to checking out this great server that ive heard about. I also had a few questions that I wanted to ask.
How oldschool is the server? are the original boats in game? and lastly are corpse runs re-implemented? Im an oldschool mmo player that started on EQ back in the Luclin days (got my big box copy sitting on the shelf along with the first 2 expansions and original game with pewter figures :) ) its nice to see a server like this that brings back the golden era of mmos way better than anything out today. It looks like ill be reinstalling window$ with dual boot to strictly be able to play seeing how running linux I dont feel like headaching around with wine and such.

Chanus
01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
1) Define oldschool?

2) Boats are in.

3) I'm assuming you're asking if there are corpse summoners. There are not. You die at level 1, you have to go back to get your corpse with all your items on it.

muddy27
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
When I said oldschool basically I meant how much like the original classic game is the server. From what you said it looks like everythings good to a T. Sweet, cant wait to play thanks for answering my questions.

Chanus
01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah, it's not perfectly classic, there are couple things that are client-side issues and just can't be changed... but it's pretty close and it's the best effort made so far. The Dev and DB staff here does a really good job of making it as close as possible.

muddy27
01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Thats understandable with the client problems you mentioned. Couldnt they use an older client lets say off one of the original cds to get around that problem though?

Chanus
01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
That would take probably a lot more work than it would be worth, and the older clients might have issues with newer hardware. Really, the way EQEmulator is set up, Titanium is about as old as you can go.

The issues are relatively minor, though.

stonebeard22
01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah I haven't really had any issues, Mine so far have been.

Some magician fire pets I see have the new models, others do not? (Depending on Level of Spell?)
Dark Bone Skeletons I see new models other skeletons I see the classic model
Spell graphics are off a little, they show a higher level like when they rank up for the first time in the 20's?
My character seems to jump around and slide off the boats...(I don't remember that, but LONG time ago)

I'm sure there is a lot more. Oh like Kith having undead all the time.

Chanus
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Kith being undead all the time is temporary, apparently. Should be fixed whenever they do the next update.

stonebeard22
01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Do you have all the same problems with graphics on the mobs that I mentioned?

Chanus
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I do slide on the boats, though it's toward the center, not outward... and I have noticed the spell effects seeming a bit much at lower levels (though the lowest level ones do seem correct).

I haven't turned off the Luclin model elementals, so I don't know if that affects it, but I haven't seen any older model pets.

Icaro
01-26-2011, 02:44 AM
There are really minor differences from the original versions, and the few changes (including for instance the fact that you DO NOT have to look at your spell book while medding) don't interfere with the feeling you get, which remains incredibly the same.

aggresor223
01-26-2011, 09:42 AM
There are really minor differences from the original versions, and the few changes (including for instance the fact that you DO NOT have to look at your spell book while medding) don't interfere with the feeling you get, which remains incredibly the same.

Old spell looks are different, you can get them to change at the proper levels like classic, but nothing shoots from hands.

muddy27
01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all your replys, im going to be logging in shortly. Good thing im dedicated :) took me 4 hours to resize my linux partition so I could make room for a little chunk (50gigs) for window$. Also installing window$ after linux can be a pain in the a$$. Luckily I didnt wipe my hard drive and I learned something in the process. I hate the monopoly M$ has on pc gaming it sucks.

Mcbard
01-26-2011, 09:36 PM
There's a pretty lengthy guide for getting it to run under Linux using wine on the forums if you're interested. You can find it here: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14125