PDA

View Full Version : A Newcomer To EverQuest

Shodex
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Greetings! I am a newcomer to EverQuest, though certainly not to MMORPGs. I came here after dabbling in EverQuest II: Extended... for 30 minutes. ;) I heard this game was actually worth playing, so here I am.

But I'm sure I'll learn quick, and I just thought I'd poke my head in and say hi, as community is a huge part of playing MMOs for me. If anyone thinks they'd like to hang out with "that new guy", I'm always down. :)

Gandite
01-26-2011, 12:21 AM
welcome to the suck

Orov
01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Welcome. This is going to be the toughest you've played. Good luck. Post your name/race/class I'll see if I have anything gathering dust you could use.

Uterus
01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Welcome dude. You'll love this server.

Toehammer
01-26-2011, 12:55 AM
My first day of EQ (1998, beta)... I create a barbarian warrior. Run around (no maps) and keep getting lost in Halas around the wolf pens. Make it to Everfrost peaks and start killing solo. After a couple hours I made level 4, had a couple gold (in silver/copper) to my name, some backpacks from goblins, and then I get to the vendors and see I have 2 cracked staves that sell for over 1pp... I am like holy shit, I am rich.

I then see the plate vendor in Halas sells stuff for hundreds of plat... and I start scheming about how to find as many cracked staves as possible.

I eventually find blackburrow and meet humans/elves/erudites who are coming from the qeynos/erudin area. I hear stories about seeing halflings and dwarves wielding "minotaur battle axes". I want one... bad.

The last day of beta, a ranger dual wielding minotaur battle axes gives me one... (level 10 at this time, no idea about grouping/health regen back then hehehe) and I get really excited.

An odd story, but this is my memory of beta, and this is what stands out. That ranger with mino battle axes and ringmail armor was the coolest sight to a cloistered barbarian from the north.

Enjoy EQ. Although some things have changed, this server keeps it classic, and it rules.

Shodex
01-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Welcome. This is going to be the toughest you've played. Good luck. Post your name/race/class I'll see if I have anything gathering dust you could use.

I don't know man, I used to play UO Divinity. :)
Thanks for the welcomes, I've decided to go with a Wood Elf Ranger. I'm hoping this was a good choice it usually is in EVERY other Fantasy setting. :P

Gandite
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the welcomes, I've decided to go with a Wood Elf Ranger. I'm hoping this was a good choice it usually is in EVERY other Fantasy setting. :P

this one likes punishment

aggresor223
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM

You picked about the most worthless class in Classic, but are fun to play and I like to have them in my group =) Get ready for a ranger joke at every turn :)

Chanus
01-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Rangers aren't at all worthless, sometimes people just can't see their value.

Not the HIGHEST DPS? WORTHLESS
Not the BEST Tank? WORTHLESS
Not the BEST Spellcaster? WORTHLESS

Rangers are a versatile class that fit next-best in many different roles. They also are the best in the game at the Tracking skill, which is far from worthless.

And they die a lot.

RocketMoose
01-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Going to die...a lot. But that's true of any class. It's funny how much rangers get made fun of, yet a ranger has the best melee DPS on the server, given he's got the 2 best weapons in classic, but that's a different story.

Rangers are a fairly decent class, you should know that they do have a 40% exp penalty for being a hybrid class. You won't get your duel wield until later in life in EQ. Archery in EQ is kinda sucky too, at least until disciplines are implemented.

freakyuno
01-26-2011, 10:51 AM

When I started EQ back in 1998 (beta) - I started a Half-Elf ranger. They tend to be a little more durable than their WE companions. I didnt know enough to ever know how much I and my class sucked back then, but rangers are FUN to play, which is why I play video games. They are very versitile, and can be very valuable in many ways. The good news is, you'll be a minority on this server, which means a greater chance you'll get picked if someone needs your specific talents.

Orov
01-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Post name plox

I have a sword I'll give you from my ranger. I haven't played him in months and its just sitting there. I also have some armor you could use.

aggresor223
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Sorry your right, I used the wrong word what I ment by worthless was misunderstood, or not wanted by many. (sorry) You mite have a hell of a time. =)

Aeean
01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
ranger gate = dying (oh how i missed that)

wait, i'm playing a ranger...

stonebeard22
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Ranger is a neat class that is fun to play. Your class will only get stronger when Kunark comes out. So now is a great time to level one. =)

corradojeff
01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
It's funny how much rangers get made fun of, yet a ranger has the best melee DPS on the server, given he's got the 2 best weapons in classic, but that's a different story.

Are you high?

Shodex
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Post name plox

I have a sword I'll give you from my ranger. I haven't played him in months and its just sitting there. I also have some armor you could use.

Shodex. :) Thanks for the help.

Dungeonjustin
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah ignore these guys... it's not the hardest game you've ever been in if you've done most anything with nonconsentual pvp. Of course, the Sullon Zek pvp server was another beast ENTIRELY. It was like Darkfall forums met Shadowbane teamspeak on a bad day. Some of the most difficult and harsh gaming environment I've ever seen, and this is basically all I've done for the last ten+ years now...

But yeah, Classic Everquest mobs might be the toughest you've ever encountered. These are not pixels you want to mess with unprepared. Just remember that most of the mobs your level will tear you to shreds, eat you for breakfast, poop you out, then eat you again. If you're any good, you'll learn to love it for this reason.

Dazen
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Rangers are hands down the best class for taking a death touch!

azeth
01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Rangers are hands down the best class for taking a death touch!

I prefer an enc to, who after death then logs on their alt mage for dps.

Lazortag
01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Going to die...a lot. But that's true of any class. It's funny how much rangers get made fun of, yet a ranger has the best melee DPS on the server, given he's got the 2 best weapons in classic, but that's a different story.

This is just nonsense!

Shodex
01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Just remember that most of the mobs your level will tear you to shreds, eat you for breakfast, poop you out, then eat you again. If you're any good, you'll learn to love it for this reason.

I've more than noticed already. :P Whats the "socially acceptable" level in this EverQuest?

muddy27
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey Shodex im new to the server as well, I saw you running around just a bit ago, Im sure you saw Cornel running about in Greater Fay, ive been messing around with some toons trying to figure out what to play.

freakyuno
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
I've more than noticed already. :P Whats the "socially acceptable" level in this EverQuest?

Socially acceptable??? For most classes, they are like the cool kids in high school, so they can socialize from day one.

Rangers however are like the awkward mind control master from "Dinner for Schmucks" - they get invited to groups for "Outstanding People"

Shodex
01-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey Shodex im new to the server as well, I saw you running around just a bit ago, Im sure you saw Cornel running about in Greater Fay, ive been messing around with some toons trying to figure out what to play.

Yeah I met Cornel, what was your name?

Socially acceptable??? For most classes, they are like the cool kids in high school, so they can socialize from day one.

Rangers however are like the awkward mind control master from "Dinner for Schmucks" - they get invited to groups for "Outstanding People"

Well, maybe I'm not role playing too much as a Ranger after all. :P

Dantes
01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Rangers are awesome, if played correctly. They're only worthless if they try to play like a Warrior. You can be a good compliment to a real tank, especially if you have root swords. You can root park everything and the tank just needs to step closer. Even if taunt fails, they're still taking all of the abuse.

Sure, most of us would rather fill that second melee spot with a Monk, Rogue, Bard, Paladin, or Shadowknight but Rangers are cool too.

Shodex
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I've decided to go with a Druid, Ranger just wasn't for me.

stonebeard22
01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Sure, most of us would rather fill that second melee spot with a Monk, Rogue, Bard, Paladin, or Shadowknight but Rangers are cool too.

IE: You want anything other than a Ranger in your group. :D

muddy27
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah I met Cornel, what was your name?

Well, maybe I'm not role playing too much as a Ranger after all. :P

I was tinkering around with classes and builds, my mains Malgaris the Mindful at your service *bows