PDA

View Full Version : Role Playing easier as an "Evil" or "Good" Race?

b_rob242
01-09-2017, 08:29 PM
I have two Iksars that I'm RP'ing right now. It seems easier to be an "evil" race, but I have not dabbled in "good" races for RP. Not to sound cynical, but sometimes, it seems too difficult to be "good" all the time in-game.
I will say, not asking a non-Iksar shaman for a SOW is tough! Plus, I get a lot of "don't speak lizard" says and tells. LOL! Challenging but fun!

Does anyone RP good races and what is your take on being goodie-two shoes all the time. I'm thinking of an RP paladin or Druid.

Thanks for reading and replying!

Sorn
01-09-2017, 08:43 PM
I RP a druid of Tunare with a bit of a devious sense of humor who generally toes the line, though he is actually not very much of a bigot when it comes to evil races. On the flip side, I also have an Iksar monk who is very interested in killing and eating all her softskin groupmates. The druid, by the way, adopted the Iksar (according to their backstory)...so if you ever want to talk to a druid who can speak lizardman, find Tadhg :) He likes Iksar for the most part. Just don't be surprised to be lectured about why you shouldn't kill animals!

I think the trouble with being 'good' is that most consider 'good' to be 'stuffy' and 'boring', so characterization can be a bit one-note unless you're adventurous. You have to get past the typical good/evil dichotomy if you really want a RP character with an interesting personality.

Danth
01-09-2017, 08:45 PM
I expect roleplay is easiest as an agnostic Human from a neutral-leaning faction: You're roleplaying all the time by default.

Doing a snooty high elf Paladin properly might make you rather unpopular in-game (since most players don't roleplay in the usual sense), although a roleplay purist would accept that said snooty high elves probably aren't looking to win popularity contests among members of lesser races.

Danth

b_rob242
01-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Haha! True. I tried the HiE Pally route first as non-RP then RP. Was my first go at tanking. I'm typically a squishy caster. Epic fail then there was the RP side that was super tough. Always good, sacrificing yourself for others mercilessly.

On Iksars, I do enjoy the back story and lore of the species. I'm currently writing a story based on the characters and interactions with NPCs as well as PCs I've seen in-game.

Swish
01-09-2017, 09:23 PM
More fun as an evil character imo.

Great to test new starters on too. Sat there in Felwithe/Kelethin/Kaladim/etc killing guards, asking the new players to say Cazic Thule is the one true god in exchange for a few swords and being able to get their starting spells (and then some).

...you'd be surprised how many refuse to say it after lingering over corpses beforehand.

Ivory
01-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Gnomes is best RPing race....cuz you can be good, but also ebil....and also just weird and it still fits. Gnomes is gnomes and gnomes is best.

Issar
01-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Trolls are my RP race of choice. Probably because my level of intelligence IRL is rivaled by them. That and I like to eat everything.

b_rob242
01-09-2017, 10:52 PM
I think all races, factions, class are just as good.

People who think Paladins make for bad stories are forgetting how compelling the Jedi are as an archetype. A powerful man forsakes his desires and passions of his heart to devote his life to his God ... p awesome if you ask me!

I've recently been thinking about piloting my nude 46 ranger again and starting a "knight of the wild" RP.

I think that it's awesome to RP "good" characters too, because it means you're going to be an awesome, supportive individual. It increases your social charisma because usually "good" people are fighting for a cause, or for someone who can't fight themself.

Point well made! I think, when I'm ready to devote time to another character, I may revisit Paladin and go RP. I already have a level 10 in my roster so the real ugly levels are behind me. Like mentioned before, Pally was my first go at tanking and it was horrible. So that put a damper on the character as a whole. When you put the pally in the light of a Jedi, the idea that they are peace-keepers and help those in need, it makes for a stronger case to RP them as opposed to the overly chivalrous (and false) "knights of King Arthur" style. I don't think even the real knights of old were so much so.

Thanks for all the replies everyone by the way! I don't typically start threads. :-)

maskedmelon
01-10-2017, 10:17 AM
I struggled with my high elf pally at first trying to forced her into a stereotypical archetype, but then I said fuck this and decided she was orphaned and adopted by the Warriors guild of kaladim. So now she's a tough-as-nails pretty little elf with a mouth like a drunken dwarf and attachment/abandonment issues. She has a particular disdain for other high elves, a penchant for ale and a meticulous streak that dwarves society was unable to rid her of.

Evil is generally easier to role play because most people are not evil, so it is easily identifiable. Most people are more or less good or at the very least neutral so it can be challenging to identify "good" characteristics without becoming a prude bore.

Most my characters always end up having more or less the same personality (slightly different flavored of me), but with different backstory and themes ^^

b_rob242
01-10-2017, 11:54 AM
RPing evil races can be a challenge if, like I mentioned, not taking SoW (other buffs) from non-Iksar shamans. Both of my Iksars handed enough red wine to Lokar To'Biath in Neriak to strike an uneasy accord with the merchants and guards (and possibly kill Innoruuk with alcohol poisoning); therefore, I speak in Dark Speak to DEF I see. Sometimes Ogres and Trolls.

Swish
01-10-2017, 12:04 PM
I struggled with my high elf pally at first trying to forced her into a stereotypical archetype, but then I said fuck this and decided she was orphaned and adopted by the Warriors guild of kaladim. So now she's a tough-as-nails pretty little elf with a mouth like a drunken dwarf and attachment/abandonment issues.

Sounds like the Nybright sisters or the Parlone family :p

Phantasm
01-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Good characters are usually easier to play/write for if you give them some flaw that makes them seem more interesting/dimensional. Like how Sneaksy steals everything and Filbus was a roaving drunk/Grumphildalizer. The characters are good intentioned, just not perfect. Their flaws which make us laugh are what give the character life. Maybe a paladin with a dark secret?

Personally i RP my iksar as neutral, but hes got a convuluted back story. I treat all other races as inferior, obviously, but have managed to not hold complete contempt for some. Humans are dogs though... and gnomes a scourge upon Norrath

Anyway, i also know some who wanted to RP lawful good so they had a friend who played as evil. The interactions and dialogues were good :)

b_rob242
01-10-2017, 05:53 PM
So does a RP Iksar Shadow knight get a Rez, ever? This would be a tough pill to swallow. Possibly from a DEF CLR, if one were on within xp Rez window.

maskedmelon
01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
So does a RP Iksar Shadow knight get a Rez, ever? This would be a tough pill to swallow. Possibly from a DEF CLR, if one were on within xp Rez window.

I do t see why not. I mean if I were a nasty evil, I'd probably actively seek to undermine the resolve of goods. Tricking them into resurrecting me would be a good exploitation of my enemies' power. I'd probably do it to anyone to be honest. And then after I'd caused them to break faith with their gods, I'd come to them In their pall of misery and issue upon them them great reward. I'd invite them to watch as I flayed they babies, but not without mercy! Nay, I would permit them to end the torment of their little one at anytime by eating a meal of baby and tubers and sweet gravies (prepared by me of course). Only after they finished eating and I was supposed to stop I would reveal it was all an illusion, a vision of the past and they babies were already dead and in they tummy! Ohooohohohoho!! ψ(`∇´)ψ

Ivory
01-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Good characters are usually easier to play/write for if you give them some flaw that makes them seem more interesting/dimensional.

Yea, I really like the characters that are striving for something (especially things that are more impossible).

Like a necromancer who thinks she is a cleric and whose pet was a fellow adventurer that died early on whom she tried to revive too early. Thus beginning a quest to grow stronger and revive her friend all the way!!

Or a paladin that dreams of being a great cleric.....so heals more and tries to do everything she can to make up for not being as talented in magic.

Or a cleric that dreams of being a great paladin and goes toe to toe with enemies building up her armor and weapons.

Or shadowknight who wants to be a ranger / archer so runs around using a bow.

Or a ranger that wants to be the best archer! Even though people say archery is impossible to rely on.

Or a magician trying to be a rogue....who has such an unconscious connection with the elements that the air around her tries to protect her and she ends up favoring throwing daggers over getting too close.

These types aren't just the most fun to RP, but also the most fun to play!! Because it mixes the challenge of game mechanics with RP struggle to overcome adversity.

b_rob242
01-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Or shadowknight who wants to be a ranger / archer so runs around using a bow.
Can't say my SHD wants to be a ranger, but she definitely carries a bow! May not do much damage, but it's fun to use to pull now and again.

And babies? Yuck! Braised Gnome taste better with a nice kiola to wash it down. Plus, any loot found in the skirmish! Haha!

Ivory
01-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Can't say my SHD wants to be a ranger, but she definitely carries a bow! May not do much damage, but it's fun to use to pull now and again.

Shadow archers are powerful!! Especially if you have a good bow. It lets you take down WAYYY overconned things.

Skill maxes low, but you can use your attack tap (and str tap) spells to make up a bit of that.....plus you can snare them and use your pet to do steady damage as you kite it around.

My 22 SK was killing level 30-35 things in overthere casually for exps like that (the stuff outside of the skyfire zone).

Swish
01-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Always good from pulling from the KC moat ^^

b_rob242
01-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Shadow archers are powerful!! Especially if you have a good bow. It lets you take down WAYYY overconned things.

Skill maxes low, but you can use your attack tap (and str tap) spells to make up a bit of that.....plus you can snare them and use your pet to do steady damage as you kite it around.

My 22 SK was killing level 30-35 things in overthere casually for exps like that (the stuff outside of the skyfire zone).

Wow! That's awesome. Shaadoe has a runed wood bow. She hasn't done any personal fletching. Need to get those skills up! She's heading to Oasis to chop crocs to get 2HS up. She favors a shield for obvious reasons.

Aalderon Crystafire
01-10-2017, 11:03 PM
These types aren't just the most fun to RP, but also the most fun to play!! Because it mixes the challenge of game mechanics with RP struggle to overcome adversity.

This was my original motivation for maxing all factions.