PDA

View Full Version : P99 Group Etiquette for drops?

zaneosak
01-13-2017, 10:15 AM
After playing P99 for a few months at a time with like 8 different breaks over 2 years I am getting to the point where I will be getting groups that actually camp rare spawns with item drops. What is the etiquette on P99 for drops with monetary value? Everybody rolls for the plat or do people that actually want the item get it? I remember a combination back in the day on these rules but that was mainly because everybody was in shit gear. I am assuming its just free roll but was curious.

I am talking about camps like Lower Guk for example.
Thanks for any info.

Ravager
01-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Typically it's all greed rolls for stuff that doesn't rot anyway in pick up groups. Need before greed does happen, but it's not the default and usually just among friends who are camping something specifically for that friend. If unsure, ask the group when you join and don't give them your time if you don't agree with their loot policy.

Daldaen
01-13-2017, 10:22 AM
No one does Need before Greed on this server, that I've seen atleast.

Everything has a monetary value, which someone can use to acquire items they need. People even extend that to things like the monk epic pipe in KC since anyone can MQ that. Etc.

Swish
01-13-2017, 10:25 AM
No one does Need before Greed on this server, that I've seen atleast.

Everything has a monetary value, which someone can use to acquire items they need. People even extend that to things like the monk epic pipe in KC since anyone can MQ that. Etc.

They used to, even in Kunark there were instances where it was frowned on to try and force a greed roll... but then, the fat cat meta came along... now it's just standard practice to have to roll for everything whether you need it or not.

In a sense it's not terrible because luck should even out and you might be able to sell something else you didn't need to buy something you do need.

Erati
01-13-2017, 10:27 AM
if its a guild group w like a leveling guild- NBG isnt that uncommon to expect

Pick up group - Greed roll all but I like to pass on stuff if I win something valuable til everyone else wins,but new members oin go ahead and roll more, its up to you

just make sure group understanda expectations

Swish
01-13-2017, 10:30 AM
The best groups are definitely guild groups. I had some great times in guild groups doing HS wings, we'd allocate a master looter, we'd sell everything through 1 person at the tunnel (often not at the peak of what you "could" get for stuff) and hand out the plat to everyone later.

If someone wanted to buy an item for their characters we'd do it a bit cheaper for them, so they'd end up with less plat out of the split overall or putting in a small amount to break even :p

win/win and great fun... (beats KC/Seb pickups)

zaneosak
01-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! Gonna blow on my dice!

maskedmelon
01-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! Gonna blow on my dice!

Good call ^^ I would also recommend destroying any that give you shit rolls. Just throw 'em away or something ^^

gprater
01-13-2017, 10:57 AM
I always ask 2 questions when joining a PUG. Whom do I assist (if applicable)? and What are the loot rules? I haven't been a high level group in years on p99 but at lower level 20's for example, I have been in some PUG's (Unrest) where NBG exists.

Twochain
01-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Generally speaking.. Spells 3-400pp ish and under are usually just given to the group member or needs it. For whatever reason.. items are more likely to require a roll rather than need before greed. I've seen a dude with 300k in armor force a roll on a 150plat item.

It's not bad at all though.

Ravager
01-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Generally speaking.. Spells 3-400pp ish and under are usually just given to the group member or needs it. For whatever reason.. items are more likely to require a roll rather than need before greed. I've seen a dude with 300k in armor force a roll on a 150plat item.

It's not bad at all though.
I don't fault the guy with 300k armor. That's 300k he can't spend on ports, consumables, etc. It's wrong to assume that someone with several thousand plat in armor also have several thousand plat in the bank. In most cases all of their plat is tied up in gear and 150 plat is good for a sow pot and a port.

Twochain
01-13-2017, 11:18 AM
I don't fault the guy with 300k armor. That's 300k he can't spend on ports, consumables, etc. It's wrong to assume that someone with several thousand plat in armor also have several thousand plat in the bank. In most cases all of their plat is tied up in gear and 150 plat is good for a sow pot and a port.

I mean......

aite

bum3
01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
If a person in 300k armor can't afford a sow and a port... me in 500p of armor will never be able to =(.

Ravager
01-13-2017, 02:59 PM
If a person in 300k armor can't afford a sow and a port... me in 500p of armor will never be able to =(.
You do realize you can't spend the gear you're wearing on things to use, right? Saving up 5k for a FBSS and spending it all on that is no different than saving up your plat and spending it all on a Fungi and CoF. Just because they have this stuff doesn't mean they're tunnel fatcats. And even if they have a few hundred plat for consumables, they are consumables. Sooner than later, that plat is spent and they have to get more. The banks don't pay interest and there is no bi-weekly paycheck that people get in plat, so it has to come from somewhere.

I'm just saying. If you play long enough will you get to the point where you're going to give up your gear to pay for a port? If you had 300k plat in gear, but 25 plat on your person and maybe a couple hundred in the bank reserved for a corpse run, are you going to pass on loot you can still sell for usable plat?

Besides, a 300k gear guy is probably carrying more than his share of the group output load, an equal roll on anything is plenty fair. He's only going to win that roll 1 out of 6 times on average. Now if he's been winning every roll on junk and he keeps taking it, then you can call him out for being a selfish douche.

jarlerop
01-13-2017, 03:23 PM
So rich people shouldnt earn money for the job they do, is that what your saying? I dont get it at all. Why wouldnt everyone roll regardless of their gear?

bum3
01-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Settle down neckbeards. It'll be ok. I just was fortunate to have never had a greed before need game play before. My eq live experience, including beta and launch, was much different than the ideology posted here. Typically a person who can afford to twink alts, with that type of money, farms or sells MQs of high end to finance themselves rather than worry about items of 150p caliber. But alas this isn't a typical server with typical players. Sorry for relating my gaming life to a niche server. My mistake.

Ravager
01-13-2017, 06:20 PM
I see, so they should spend more of their time farming for plat instead and donate their gaming time to groups. Sounds fair.

maskedmelon
01-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Settle down neckbeards. It'll be ok. I just was fortunate to have never had a greed before need game play before. My eq live experience, including beta and launch, was much different than the ideology posted here. Typically a person who can afford to twink alts, with that type of money, farms or sells MQs of high end to finance themselves rather than worry about items of 150p caliber. But alas this isn't a typical server with typical players. Sorry for relating my gaming life to a niche server. My mistake.

No need to apologize ^^, you'll warm up to the liberal atmosphere and mutual respect we hold for one another or run crying back to the familiar abuse of your communist safe space soon enough

*hugs*(^∇^)

Baler
01-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Need before Greed

OR

/random GREED IS KING

you decide.
:mad:

There is no pixel welfare on this server

Sorn
01-13-2017, 08:33 PM
It's all individual til you hit the typical high end farm camps.

Generally need before greed applies to the following in pick-up groups:
Spells (MAIN EXCEPTION: Torpor, sorry shamans...get a guild group if you want a chance at this one.)
mid- to low-end gear
All no-drop stuff
Epic drops (if needy class is in group), even if they can be MQed
Sometimes the Velious armor piece drops/gems - but you rarely take a pick-up group to places where you get this stuff. (EXCEPTION: BP gems)
You've got obviously shit gear (raw-hide on a level 30?? PERISH THE THOUGHT) and an upgrade drops, even if it's valuable (mainly applies to <50 groups - after about 55 people will be much less forgiving of noobishness)

Always greed roll in pick-up groups:
Fungi tunic
Tstaff
Hiero cloak
Hiero staff
Raid items (EX: the cards in PoM)
Vendor trash (unless alphabetical loot order is established)
Low level crap no one actually wants
Anything that sells for more than 1k in tunnel (or something valuable in a zone with few valuable drops)
Stuff like Tolan's armor, etc, in KC

There are trends in most zones regarding what gets rolled on and what is NBG.

Izmael
01-13-2017, 08:42 PM
If you wear 300k in gear and force a roll on a 150 item, you're basically an ass.

fiveeauxfour
01-13-2017, 09:13 PM
ninja loot then concede the next 2 spawns

mickmoranis
01-13-2017, 10:00 PM
best practice is after 17 years of playing the same game together, slander name and shame and quit the group/guild over pretty much everything.

Ravager
01-14-2017, 07:32 AM
If you wear 300k in gear and force a roll on a 150 item, you're basically an ass.
It's not a popular sentiment, but it's rational in terms of fairness. You can't expect anyone to pass on all loot that drops no matter what they're wearing, unless you think your time is more valuable than theirs, then you're basically an ass.

Izmael
01-14-2017, 07:45 AM
It's not a popular sentiment, but it's rational in terms of fairness. You can't expect anyone to pass on all loot that drops no matter what they're wearing, unless you think your time is more valuable than theirs, then you're basically an ass.

Not sure how you went from "rich guy in 300k gear wanting a 150pp item" to "pass on everything no matter what they are wearing".

Teako
01-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Rolls. Everyone needs plat, and everything can be sold. Your "need" of a 10k item isn't more legit than the guy wanting to sell it and buy a different 10k item.

Except on no drop items. Then need wins out.

Jimjam
01-14-2017, 09:57 AM
It's the only fair way that whoever values the item most gets to be the one to decide how it is used.

So no, Teako. On no drops you still have to greed roll. The winner gets to auction the loot rights. If the reserve is not met then the winner gets to loot the item, fraps deleting it and post the ensuing fallout video to the internet.

The truly greedy people are the group mates that didn't win the roll but expect to get something for free just buy being in the right group at the right time.

Freakish
01-14-2017, 10:05 AM
I force rolls on anything higher than a star ruby.

Swish
01-14-2017, 10:10 AM
star rubies? get you.... im already rolling on fire opals <3

Swish
01-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Not sure how you went from "rich guy in 300k gear wanting a 150pp item" to "pass on everything no matter what they are wearing".

This is Ravager we're talking about, he's not the full ticket.

Ravager
01-14-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry you can't follow logic. What does it matter that he's in 300k armor? What does it matter that he wants to roll on a 5k item or a 150p item? He's part of the group same as you, if he wants something that you want, just roll on it. Shaming someone out of loot is kind of dickish. Everyone's playing the same game. Nobody "needs" anything more than the next guy.

Swish
01-14-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry you can't follow logic. What does it matter that he's in 300k armor? What does it matter that he wants to roll on a 5k item or a 150p item? He's part of the group same as you, if he wants something that you want, just roll on it. Shaming someone out of loot is kind of dickish. Everyone's playing the same game. Nobody "needs" anything more than the next guy.

Tell that to the people corpsing fungis or AC rings.

Izmael
01-14-2017, 12:11 PM

I'm sorry you seem unable to defend a point of view without being passive-aggressive.

Adding 150 plat to your net worth doesn't have the same importance to the guy who can afford walking around with 300k worth of gear on them than to the guy running around in bronze or banded armor because it is their first character and they are noob.

If you fail to understand that, you are, unfortunately, not qualified to continue arguing with me.

TLDR: be nice to the noobs and some day they may remember that and help you back.

Izmael
01-14-2017, 12:14 PM
This is Ravager we're talking about, he's not the full ticket.

I had no idea who he was, assumed a normal person. Thanks for the heads up!

fastboy21
01-14-2017, 12:22 PM
If there is a default (which there isn't) its more likely than not GREED on p99.

If you join a camp where you know something worthwhile drops (and it matters to you) you should always ask how the group is doing loot BEFORE the item drops. If you don't like the answer you shouldn't group.

The problems usually don't arise from being GREED vs. Need...most of the problem is when the loot drops and folks get surprised that they aren't allowed to roll. If someone defects from the pre-agreed upon loot rules (i.e. ninja loots) you can get server staff involved if it is really important.

Ravager
01-14-2017, 12:32 PM
Adding 150 plat to your net worth doesn't have the same importance to the guy who can afford walking around with 300k worth of gear on them than to the guy running around in bronze or banded armor because it is their first character and they are noob.

It's not about net worth, it's about utility. When you have 300k in gear but no plat in the bank for ports sow pots or any other expendables you may have, you'll understand. Telling everyone with better gear than you that they should go farm their plat (while still welcoming their service in the group) is just as dickish as someone who loots every gem before the mob hits the ground.

Besides, you've mistaken me, I am not saying 300k guy deserves loot more or less, I'm saying I don't fault one for wanting to roll on something. If he's being a loot whore, of course put the screws to him just like anyone else who's being a loot whore in a group. But assuming he can't use a 150p item as much as anyone else is idiotic.

Ravager
01-14-2017, 12:37 PM
I had no idea who he was, assumed a normal person. Thanks for the heads up!
I'm not normal, but you're in trouble if you're taking your cues from Swish.

AmukTZ
01-18-2017, 11:06 AM
I pretty much always group with 3 of the same people every night so if you happen to be filling in one of the two spots we have open you will be partaking in NBG loot rules.

We have actually surprised a few people in the past who have joined us and an item dropped they could use and we let them have it. Luckily the opposite hasn't happened yet, but i think from now on i will try and pay more attention on being forthcoming with how we are doing loot when people join to avoid any people just assuming greed and then getting all pissy.