PDA

View Full Version : Non-twink Ogre Warrior?

Krimsin
01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm really new to the server. I MT'd classic through PoP on live before swapping to WoW. I was wondering how useless non-twink warriors are on this server? I figure a stale classic server with the "upcoming" kunark expac probably has lots of fully twinked warrior alts out trucking around.

Is it possible to get groups when you need them if you aren't a twinked tank or do people just pass?

Versus
01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
You will get a group. I've been the Main Tank in the majority of my xp groups, and I am a monk. Always looking for a plate class to take the hits, regardless of your wealth.

Messianic
01-27-2011, 04:44 PM
If you know how to play your class, people will want you in their group. Just save up your money to buy good aggro-proccing weapons, i.e. Gnoll Lariats, etc. There are a bunch of good warrior threads on this forum, too:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24377&highlight=warrior+noob

I have very frequently seen bronze or small bronze armor on merchants; this may not be the case for large bronze, but i'm sure there are merchants out there which people are dumping large bronze onto...And people sometimes sell pieces of it for 1pp per ac or less.

quellren
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Just because you have expensive gear doesn't make you a good warrior.
All it says is that you soloed a mage/necro to 50 and farm Jboot MQ's and Frenzy spawns for the cash to buy it.

Learn your class.

Krimsin
01-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I certainly understand how to play the class (not really much to it), but I didn't know if there were enough twinks running around geared to the teeth that I'd be overlooked if I was LFG.

Messianic
01-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Usually people are just happy to find a tank at all, from what i've seen...particularly at lower levels.

stonebeard22
01-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I just started a warrior Last week, Currently Lvl 17. I have only been in a group with another 2 times, and neither have really been that twinked.

Unless you play a Druid / Necromancer / Enchanter / Magician those are about the only mass populated classes.

Estu
01-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Get a proc weapon or two (e.g. polished granite tomahawk for 125ish pp, obsidian shard for 400-500pp) and you're good. Otherwise you can't hold aggro (not on anything higher-con than blue, anyway, or unless you have a dedicated rooter) and aren't so much a tank as a shitty DPS. That being said, a lot of groups will take you even if you don't have aggro weapons and aren't doing much of anything for the group. Don't get gnoll hide lariats early on, as they only start proccing at level 25.

Bubbles
01-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Just don't group with rogues or rangers, and use whatever weapon you want. Problem solved.

It's actually kind of nice to play a non-twinked warrior *this late* into the server.. Since you can attain really awesome stuff like crafted armor and obsidian shards, axe of the slayers, plat fire wedding rings, etc... None of that stuff was out there in abundance, and certainly not for sale on the open market back in the day.

Yeah, it's going to be really hard to scrounge up money, but at least when you do, you will totally be able to buy a ton of things that will help you greatly, at a much lower level than if you had started on day one.

But yeah, honestly, going warrior is a commitment, and one of the longest roads to fruition on this server. Not saying you have to go pet caster or priest or something, but we'd be mean to not let you know ahead of time the hell you are getting yourself into. ;) Brace yourself, it's gonna be a wild ride!

john_savage1982
01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
warriors have it rougher keeping aggro since we're all trained from modern MMORPG to attack fast and hard as soon as the fight starts - something warriors can't deal with well.

SKs get this spell called disease cloud - worth the 40% shared xp penalty.

Sparkin
01-28-2011, 04:35 PM
If you try to get one weapon early on, make it a PGT. The proc makes levels 10 (when it starts procing) to 18 or so a breeze solo. Proc is good aggro too for grouping (though 2x lariats probably better for reliable aggro with the low delay and they're cheap).

Messianic
01-28-2011, 04:36 PM
If you try to get one weapon early on, make it a PGT. The proc makes levels 10 (when it starts procing) to 18 or so a breeze solo. Proc is good aggro too for grouping (though 2x lariats probably better for reliable aggro with the low delay and they're cheap).

This. And sometimes people sell them for like 50-100, which is very affordable.

teganyavo
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Could also go with a Screaming Mace, it's basically identical to PGT (except 1hb) and probably cheaper

and questable

Messianic
01-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Could also go with a Screaming Mace, it's basically identical to PGT (except 1hb) and probably cheaper

and questable

Not exactly - the PGT's proc blocks a set amount of damage, so it's like free hp.

stonebeard22
01-28-2011, 05:11 PM
PGT has been an amazing weapon for me. They go for around 125pp, however someone just gave me mine. =D Good people on this server!

Krimsin
01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Wow awesome, well if I can find one for cheap I'll try to scoop it. I've managed to farm up a decent amount of pp. Maybe if someone's feeling generous and wants to sell low and make my day, I'll be lucky! :)

purist
01-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Nobody will want to group with your ghetto ass Ogre warrior with bronze armor and a Minotaur axe.