PDA

View Full Version : NFP > EC

zstein
01-27-2011, 10:28 PM
This is my official petition to move the P99 auction grounds from East Commons to North Freeport.

I'm not sure how much interest is out there, and this may have been attempted before, but NFP beats the hell out of EC..mainly because there's a bank there. Running from the bank to the tunnel while 900000 lbs overweight can be pretty miserable. I realize this doesn't solve the problem for evil races but it's only 2 extra zones away for a smaller percentage of characters.

Mainly though, there's just better places to hangout while you auction your wares. I was reminded of this while browsing some sweet old school screenshots in this thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26197
Props to everyone in those pics and the people who posted them!

Anyway, hear me out. It wouldn't be tough to do - just pick a date and move your ass. I think if we can get Bob on-board the rest will follow suit :p.

WTB North Freeport Trading Center back instead of this East Commonlands crap =(

Gorgetrapper
01-27-2011, 10:29 PM
That's where it was before they removed serverwide chat channels. EC tunnels is the place now because it's "nostalgic" and it's closest to a "good" city (freeport) and an evil city, (neriak).

garyogburn
01-27-2011, 10:30 PM
This is my official petition to move the P99 auction grounds from East Commons to North Freeport.

I'm not sure how much interest is out there, and this may have been attempted before, but NFP beats the hell out of EC..mainly because there's a bank there. Running from the bank to the tunnel while 900000 lbs overweight can be pretty miserable. I realize this doesn't solve the problem for evil races but it's only 2 extra zones away for a smaller percentage of characters.

Mainly though, there's just better places to hangout while you auction your wares. I was reminded of this while browsing some sweet old school screenshots in this thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26197
Props to everyone in those pics and the people who posted them!

Anyway, hear me out. It wouldn't be tough to do - just pick a date and move your ass. I think if we can get Bob on-board the rest will follow suit :p.

Just no.

nalkin
01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
firstly, what would evil races do?

secondly, I need not remind anyone that this so called "community" doesn't exactly welcome new ideas with open arms. In my younger years I tried to revolutionize trading but I was ridiculed and harassed off the server. (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9574)

gluck with your dream though

zstein
01-27-2011, 10:40 PM

secondly, I need not remind anyone that this so called "community" doesn't exactly welcome new ideas with open arms. In my younger years I tried to revolutionize trading but I was ridiculed and harassed off the server. (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9574)

First, thanks for not booing loudly. I guess you know what that feels like.

Second, the sewers are easy to navigate for evil toons and not much farther than EC from a bank.

quellren
01-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Just no.

While I'm 100% on-board with your opinion, it's not constructive and you sound like a douche by not offering even a cursory reason why you think this.

OP:
Here's why I agree with the knuckle-dragger I quoted:
1) evil races have no place to vendor crap without even more zoning required.
2) Newbs don't get buffs. Love it or hate it, its EQ culture man. A griffon or Shin Ree at orc 1 can be a group imploder if there aren't a bunch of people capable of stomping both.
3) NFP is tiny. The tunnel is crowded enough. 90 people cammed into the courtyard near the bank is miserable.
4) Banking as an ogre or troll sucks. the doors are tiny and its hard to get more than one large race hidden from LoS from that asshole guard in the corner.
5) 10x the NPCs to train to the bazaar. No, it doesn't happen as much as it used to, but imagine if the zone held 15 SGT Slates, and 5-6 Rinna Lightshadows. Griefing Galore.

There are many reasons NFP is an inferior auction zone to EC. Just because a handful of servers forced it to work doesn't make it better.

Edit: Yeah I admit I'm biased, neither of my characters are welcome in North Freeport. I make it work on the necro because he's small and behind the banker is never crowded. The troll goes to Neriak. Hanging out invis, or confined to a tiny area with no guards is not how I want to auction stuff.

SirAlvarex
01-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Personally? Greater Faydark > all. Easy quest to get faction with bankers/guards and lots of newbies to buff. Plus, you can actually port straight to the auction zone, and safely for all races (Druids are KoS to most evils, correct?)

LevinJ
01-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Pro tip for casters making a big purchase: (Assuming they won't just run to bank with you). Bind next to Bob (or other seller). Run to bank. Get pp. Gate. No slow run.

xshayla701
01-27-2011, 11:24 PM
No, because I can't sit in NFP spamming my lev cloak and sitting really really close to Kimmie Potpie. So no...

Swindle
01-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Neither GFAY or NFP will work for evil races. This proposal only benefits the tiny handful of folks carrying a lot of plat. It's not like there are 20K sales happening every 30 seconds.

kazima441
01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
really, it's all up to Bob

cowjosh
01-28-2011, 01:20 AM
I agree with the NFP opinion, I can't stand running to the bank from EC, even if you bind there is at least one run. I also favor NFP since we used it primarily on the server I played on (Mith Marr) "back in the day" so I became accustomed to sitting behind the jade, in the sewers, etc.

I don't recall having a big problem on any evil characters I had (one ogre at a time in the bank is better than zero of any race in the bank, which is what we have in EC). The sewers were fairly straightforward and effective....then again I generally played good classes.

Either way one group, either high-plat traders or evil races are going to be inconvenienced, but as I see it the evil races would be inconvenienced to a lesser degree in NFP than the high-plat traders are in EC. Moreover, what banks do the evil races use now? Neriak? An annoying run from EC for sure. NFP, while not ideal for evil characters, is a suitable compromise.....but that's just how I see it =p

Myrkskog
01-28-2011, 01:44 AM
I like EC, that's how I grew up and that's the way I want to keep it. I understand where the NFP advocates are coming from although I disagree.

But let both parties agree that the servers that used Greater Faydark were on crack.

Hobby
01-28-2011, 02:35 AM
North Freeport was my home. I remember people training guards to the ZL all the time, and freeport was actually popular and not a ghost town aside from the mage farmers

Bubbles
01-28-2011, 02:38 AM
lol obviously being from Veeshan I'm used to NFP.

And 90% of the EC trading is done on alts anyways, so people whining about banking are just.. i dunno.. high?

I definitely agree that greater fay would be complete insanity as a trading zone. Just no way on that.

I think we're missing the bigger issue: There's simply not much going on in EC at all anymore, even during peak hours. It's getting increasingly hard to sell anything anymore.

Reubin
01-28-2011, 02:44 AM
But let both parties agree that the servers that used Greater Faydark were on crack.

On Povar we used Gfay and I thought it worked great. Wolf form made you non-KOS in Kelethin so evil races could bank there too. There were usually plenty of high-level druids hanging around for wolf form...they knew that evils needed it to bank so I was never charged for wolf form in Gbay if I asked. Wizards and Druids both had a port into the zone as well.

Really though now that it has been established as EC Tunnel on this server it isn't likely to change. Personally I think NFP sounds like the worst of all the options...but that's just me. I'm sure once you do something long enough you figure out the best ways to do it and make it work.

SlankyLanky
01-28-2011, 02:45 AM
really, it's all up to Bob

vinx
01-28-2011, 02:59 AM
bob make a banker! plat only and charge :
start-up fees / cancellation fees / transaction fees / monthly fees
LOL

p.s i need a loan!

Azimon
01-28-2011, 03:16 AM
I don't really see the problem. It won't take you many minutes to run to the bank and back even without sow. And this way, new players will enter a zone full of people and life and active chatting and such. It's such things that will keep the new players going. And we do after all want as much active people as possible. As a new player you'll actually be able to make some plat when you see people auction for bonechips and hq bear pelts etc, without running two zones to see if Maaybe someone is interested. Besides, the buff aspect for the newbies is great ..hehe

Goobles
01-28-2011, 03:19 AM
All evil races have to do is kill WFP and EFP guards to become non KoS in NFP

Azimon
01-28-2011, 03:31 AM
All evil races have to do is kill WFP and EFP guards to become non KoS in NFP

That is easy to do when you're like..level 5 :P..The trade game involves everyone, not just the high levels.

Nedala
01-28-2011, 03:49 AM
It was gfay on my server and it was so awesome. I loved it how packed kelething was. Everybody was hanging around at the bank or at the spire, on the lifts, everywhere really. I miss it :(

Azimon
01-28-2011, 05:36 AM
On lanys there was usually people both in ec and in gfay in the beginning.

Omnimorph
01-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Doesn't matter to me :p EC is better for fun events though.

nymphloa
01-28-2011, 07:21 AM
God no

fugazi
01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Just add a banker to the EC tunnel called 'Bob's brother' and be done with it.

Messianic
01-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I think we're missing the bigger issue: There's simply not much going on in EC at all anymore, even during peak hours. It's getting increasingly hard to sell anything anymore.

I think people would sit in bazaar-like zones if (edit)those zones(/edit) were better equipped. I don't like doing things in EC specifically because its not proximate to a banker or other vendors I actually use, I don't have a ton of close friends who are on at the same time as me who I can use to transfer stuff between alts, and the zone, although fairly close to the wizard Nro port and druid WC port, is kind of out-of-the way.

My Necro (my current main) kills junk in lguk, banks in Grobb (skeleton form ftw), rinse and repeat. I bank extra loot from named mobs and use the EC Forum section to sell/buy stuff specifically because I don't have the time to sit around and auction endlessly. I might do that if it was in a better zone where my wizard alt could port in and handle all my monetary affairs in one location as opposed to porting to gfay then running to felwithe to bank, porting back to EC, etc...

But when I actually sit down and think about what might be a *significantly* better zone (as opposed to slightly better, i.e. NFP or Gfay), I can't really think of one. NFP and Gfay are both obvious improvements - but remember that the Gfay banker will likely remain glaring with most evils unless they do pain-in-the-butt quests to raise kelethin merchant faction, which my dark elf wizard from live refused to do. If that Shark Meat quest is already implemented, maybe that wouldn't be too much of a pain, and would create a market for shark meat...

I think the following characteristics are all requirements of a good center of commerce:

1) Proximate to a major city so level 1 alts can be created as mules and be relatively safe
2) Close vendors
3) Close to bankers
4) Close to wizard and druid port locations

Honestly, Toxx is probably the best balance of all of these - Close banking for evils and goods(IIRC regarding evil races/classes and paineel), vendors, noobs, its a relatively safe zone, is a port location for both wiz and dru - but I strongly doubt people would want to move it to toxx...

If it's a choice between NFP and Gfay, i'd choose gfay because there are spires right there and druid portals fairly close, banker in the same zone, etc. Also, come Kunark, a trading zone with a direct portal connection to that zone will become a lot more important. I remember Gfay being very active throughout Kunark and the beginning of Velious...

Omnimorph
01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Firstly... no one should ever go to tox... it's a zone with skunks... it stinks.

Second ... i motion that we move the trading zone to Kedge, it'll create a better market for FB earrings, it'll raise people's swimming, and the dungeon +% is second to none.

Xadion
01-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I did not read the entire thread.

I vote for NFP, it makes sence to me... there are tunnles for eviles and just kill some orcs/guards and your good.

There was a reason why there is no wt encumberance in NFP -

NFP was the trade hub on Veeshan, and we all know Veeshan is the best server- right right! wooo

korrowan
01-28-2011, 10:24 AM

If that is what you considered harassed off the server you must be pretty thin skinned.

Dr4z3r
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM

... wat?

epicentre
01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
We don't need to vote, after all.

Starting tonight, everyone moves to it's favorite trading zone. We'll quickly see what's the best trading zone is.

My 2cp :)

Versus
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Oh Povar, I miss you <3 And Rallos Zek as well??? I forget about that one.

Omnimorph
01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
When i'm walking about with 50k on me... i summon a level 1 pet, open trade window with him.... then run away! takes about 15 seconds for the weight to catch up with me :3

Versus
01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I vote Gfay as well, direct port WILL become more important as expansions are released, as someone has already mentioned. Plus, all you clerics can make more $$ while sitting around from retards plummeting from the top levels.

*edit* - Let me put this out there....Nothing will change. But by all means, let's discuss!

Messianic
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM

I could be meaner, but I'll just say that "All ideas are not equal." Your idea wasn't very good.

People aren't "closed minded" just because they reject my ideas or someone else's ideas.

Seeatee
01-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I like the idea of a banker in EC tunnel, put em back by shady , technically its not classic but id say its 50/50 on people who came up with EC being the trade zone and people who came up with NFP, this way everyone can be happy, its in EC, evils are safe, and there is a bank on hand, wins all around.

feste
01-28-2011, 02:50 PM
I got a vote for NFP for sure. it feels more real.

Versus
01-28-2011, 03:38 PM
a banker in EC would make everyone happy, but ITS NOT CLASSIC!!!!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. Well neither is item linking, it's just nice to have ;)

utenan
01-28-2011, 09:28 PM
They'd take item linking out if it were possible : p

purist
01-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Arguments for North Freeport

#1 - The music inside the bank. I love that song.
#2 - Instead of boring old "I'm at t1," you get to say "meet me behind Jade Tiger den."
#3 - Evil-doers get to repeatedly kill Bondi Felligan, the drunk Barbarian Shaman, while chilling in the sewers.
#4 - Occasionally, some do-gooder will trian the entire North Freeport Bard guild to sewers for our entertainment

Messianic
01-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Arguments for North Freeport

#1 - The music inside the bank. I love that song.
#2 - Instead of boring old "I'm at t1," you get to say "meet me behind Jade Tiger den."
#3 - Evil-doers get to repeatedly kill Bondi Felligan, the drunk Barbarian Shaman, while chilling in the sewers.
#4 - Occasionally, some do-gooder will trian the entire North Freeport Bard guild to sewers for our entertainment

I endorse this wholeheartedly