PDA

View Full Version : Classic skill caps for casters

fischsemmel
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
So I know that the Kunark strategy guide from Prima was far from perfect, but it says 235 should be the max for casting skills at 60 and below... and that dodge should max out at 75 for int casters. My memory of kunark era seconds this.

But my 49 necro right now has 121 dodge and 241 alteration.

Is my memory as faulty as Prima's guide... or is there a problem here?

Messianic
01-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Some caps in the past have only artificially shown being higher than the actual cap - on the game's actual data tables, and therefore in actual gameplay the toon's skill was appropriately capped.

Or possibly the game does not allow skill beyond a certain level to affect any of the mechanics.

Anyhow, for some reason the extra skills points were just for show.

Dunno if that's the case here.

fischsemmel
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Actually I take that back.

My chat window keeps telling me "You have gotten better at Alteration! (242)" and such. But my skills window shows alteration in red text at 235. Same with dodge at 75.

Messianic
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Actually I take that back.

My chat window keeps telling me "You have gotten better at Alteration! (242)" and such. But my skills window shows alteration in red text at 235. Same with dodge at 75.

There you go. The actual used skill level are the ones in red...

It's similar to what happens if you level to 50, reach the skill cap for 50, then die and lose a level. Your skill levels would appear red and at the 49 skill cap. At least I remember it being that way ;)

Zapatos
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Can anyone explain WHY this is happening? I get that, as a 44 druid, my cap for dodge is 75, and is in red and performing as it were 75... but I still want to know what caused me to get messages showing my dodge go all the way up to 150.

And I'm sure this has just started occurring with another skill.. but the above is the most relevant and boggling example I've had.

Pyrocat
01-29-2011, 12:27 AM
There you go. The actual used skill level are the ones in red...

Not true, or I wouldn't be able to pick the lock on the NFP bank door with 200 skill.

Messianic
01-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Not true, or I wouldn't be able to pick the lock on the NFP bank door with 200 skill.

I know it was the case for some skills. Maybe there are some that are functioning higher...?

Ravhin
01-29-2011, 12:37 AM
"You have gotten better at Alteration! (242)" and such are obviously messages sent by the server so it is more likely they are correct than the number displayed in the client.

if the PP of the nfp door is true than this is an actual bug (skills going over the lvl 50 cap) -

Pyrocat
02-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Bump. My rogue has over 200 in bind wound, intimidate, pick lock, pick pocket, 1hs, 1hb, and pretty much every combat skill. Bind Wound, Intimidate and Pick Lock are where it is more noticeable (and game breaking), 1 bandage brings me up about 100hp, and I can do it while fighting.

That's another bug (which has already been posted). You can target yourself in combat, click bind wound, and you automatically turn off auto attack and start binding. If an enemy hits you while you're crouching
a) you don't take sitting damage
b) you stand up and can attack
c) it doesn't interrupt bind wound and you will get the heal when the timer is done.

These all appear red in my skills window, however I still see the skill up messages, and when I go to a guild trainer they show their actual skill level (way over cap).