PDA

View Full Version : Tanker AC or HP?

Byungmo
01-30-2011, 02:37 AM
What is the most important thing for Raid MT? AC or HP?

Azazel
01-30-2011, 03:02 AM
Probably AC until you start grouping with clerics that can complete heal then HP.

Scrooge
01-30-2011, 03:47 AM
I'd go with the HP, atleast for leveling.

Byungmo
01-30-2011, 03:59 AM
what I want to know is that AC or HP which is better for raid MT not during a leveling.
let me edit the question.

Duma
01-30-2011, 10:40 AM
AC is better for mobs with a high DI
HP is better for mobs with low DI

It's been mathematically proven AC is better in almost every situation as there just aren't many mobs in classic with abnormally high damage bonus and low DI.

Alkorin
01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Until much, much later on in the game: AC.

guineapig
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
You want to get your worn AC above 300. Then put HP in every slot you possibly can. At higher levels some Stamina gear is a good alternative to HP gear in certain slots.

You need to hit that soft cap to mitigate as much as possible. For trash mobs it's no big deal but on bosses where you are getting multiple CH's per fight it's another story.

Knuckle
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
So AC is working properly here?

Blackbat
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
whats DI

Extunarian
01-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I believe DI is damage interval...that is the max and minimum damage a mob can inflict on a single hit.

He might be talking about something else though...

captainspauldin
02-03-2011, 04:55 AM
after playing on many different servers as a warrior, i have noticed AC to be freaking amazing stat, way under estimated. imo screw everything else, ac is king!. and agility can help ac some too so its very nice to have both.

now alot of the servers i played on where somewhat custom, so i not saying i know the best, im just giving my input which has a good chance of being correct. and im thinking just cuz the ac is lower here, doesnt mean that it wont still be like the same results.

for a tank i will ALWAYS go AC then AGI then whatever....cuz shit dont matter when u got tons of ac and agility to benefit it..dex dont even matter so much if u chose the right proc weapon ( the good agro proc weapons)

damage proc dont matter, ur dps dont matter, holding agro and having so high ac that a mob never hits u = win game.

i noticed on one server where people had between 1-10k ac, going from 2400-3100 ac made me 3x stronger, then about every 1k ac after that made me another 2-3x stronger of a tank. so i figgure if u got 600 ac here and u go to 800ac, ur probly gunna be about 2x the tank, go to 1k ac and be 4x the tank, 1200 and be 8x the tank.

i mean, i could be off on just how much stronger it makes u, but i dont think that really matters. point is, every good 10% extra ac makes u a hell of alot stronger.

higher max hps just means the healers have to heal you more, waste more mana. now on the other hand, say u have 30% less hps but a mob miss's you WAY more, now ur talkin. so screw str, screw dex, screw ur dps, all that bullcrap. wear the proper resist gear (bag gear) for the fights where that will be needed over ac, and ur going to be the strongest tank u can possibly be. oh and use the proper weapon, doesnt have to be a good one, just has to have a proc that gives crazy agro, yes they exist.

have a different set of gear for when ur soloing n stuff, and no hps are not worthless, and yes u should go for that as a secondary stat over str n dps and all that. say a piece of gear cant add worthwhile ac or agi, yet there is a really good sta or hp item, use that there.

but, alas all ive said relys on one thing, dunno much about the ac cap on this server so.....would supose get that then go hps lol, less ac actually does still help after the cap then i say aACACACAC lolol

Akame
02-03-2011, 09:32 AM
I was a huge HP buff until I started pretty much living on the steel warrior forums a few years into playing EQ, and the math just doesn't lie; until you're above the softcap for every expansion, AC will always be king.

I would say the same holds true here unless the ac/atk mechanics are fubard server side.

Duma
02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
DI = Damage interval.
DB = Damage bonus.

Mob Damage range (DB + (DI*d20))

What interval is rolled is modified by player AC vs mobs ATK

Tumdumm
02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
ac all day brah

Haynar
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
A alot of effort was made to get AC to behave similar to how classic was.

Is it correct? No.

Is it close? Maybe. It is a guess.

It should have a similar feel.

Is AC king? It sure makes a difference. Depends on the mob and the situation. Just like classic.

Did we get all the situations the same? Nope. But we try the best we can, with what is available.

H

Dantes
02-03-2011, 03:59 PM
AC is nice, but don't forget that spells usually do maximum damage. AC doesn't stop a mob from nuking you to shit. In that case, it's nice to have HPs. Try not to sacrifice AC in a major slot if you have to. In some cases you can have the best of both worlds. Like 5 AC 55 HP rings.

captainspauldin
02-03-2011, 05:54 PM
resists are used for spells

Erasong
02-03-2011, 05:55 PM
AC is fine and dandy but when tanking mobs in say, Sky, that are all super high con, that AC feels like nothing at all. Nearly every single hit felt like it was unmitigated and I used to sac AC gear for strait HP items all the time. This is for later islands and island bosses. Not even and to a lesser extent yellow cons.

Shaggy
02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Soft caps are 300 raw AC right now on EQLive , for plate class's without CS AA's.

Agi effecting AC caps at 305, anything after that only ups your displayed AC, not your effective AC.... Not that the cap matters on p99.

Displayed AC means nothing. Effective AC is what matters and changes based on class and if your over the softcap or not. After the soft cap only a % of the displayed AC becomes effective AC.

Soft Caps
Cloth..........= ~75 worn AC
Leather......= ~100 worn AC
Monk..........= ~120 worn AC
Chain.........= ~200 worn AC
Plate .........= ~300 worn AC

That's all worn AC caps btw, meaning look at the raw AC number on your gear and add it up. Not the number shown on your inventory tab, that's displayed AC.

AC returns after the soft cap has been reached
45%: Warrior
33%: Knight, Monk
23%: Cleric, Bard, BZR
17%: BST, Ranger
6%: Druid, Enc, Mag, Nec, Wiz
Rogue, Shaman.. Unsure.

The softcap and returns over the cap where given by EQLive Dev's just before SoD was released.

AC only effects the DI of a mob, it will not change a mobs max or min dmg or its hit rate.

Mob Damage range (DB + (DI*1-20)). Witch number of the 1-20 is determined by the mobs atk, your ac, your def skill and most likely other crap that's hard to parse.

Lets say the mobs DI is 100, and DB is 200.. This means the mob can hit you for min 300 (DI 1) and a max of 2200 (DI 20).

Ac is nice, and so are HPs.... CH chains will be coming, and its all about living till they land, rather its the AC making the mobs dmg go down, or the Raw Hps giving you more time before death.

AC does nothing for spells.

I would try to get a good balance going on myself once the softcap is reached.