PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Warrior Haste - Silver Chitin Hand Wraps or Save for FBSS?

evanderheide
02-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Hello all,

I started my first character on P1999 a couple of weeks ago, a Troll Warrior, and have been leveling and saving money relatively quickly. For background, I'm a relatively experienced player (had a 56 Warrior on EQ Mac) and have done some research but wanted to get community input.

Should I buy SCHW at 2-2.5k AS SOON AS POSSSIBLE (probably by level 20-22) or keep saving for FBSS at 4-5k (probably by 30-32)?

I've done the math and it pretty much looks like the overall cost of filling my hands and waste slot with decent items for a 20-55 warrior are overall the same...

SCHW (2k) + TBB (3k) = 13 AC + 15 AC +3 all SVs 22% Haste for 5k
FBSS (4.5k) + Crystal Chitin Gaunts (800pp) = 20 AC 10 STR and 21% Haste for 5.3k

Really comes down to whether it's worth buying a haste item sooner (I'm lvl 16 and have already saved 400pp) or whether I should hold out WITHOUT a haste item for 10 levels to get an item that will allow for more overall AC?

For reference, my weapons are solid (using Jarsath Trident and Silken Whip).

Advice?????

Pyrion
02-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Get that SCHW asap. If you reconsider later, you can always sell it. Haste is such a biggie... not sure if you will really feel the few AC that you lose.

evanderheide
02-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Thanks dude - I think you're right when I typed it out, this is my first character on the server; You're right that haste is just way more important than min-maxing AC obsessively right now and having haste will just overall help with leveling, thereby leading to faster money generation.

Anyone else have feedback or input? Would love some more thoughts!

I'll be saving this weekend and should have the 2k by sometime next week or so! Stoked to get there and definitely enjoying P99.

Issar
02-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Haste is really important for a warrior as it directly affects your ability to not only kill quickly, but hold aggro in groups. Having all the AC in the world doesn't mean a thing if you're not being swung at. Once you have the haste, you won't regret the purchase.

EQBallzz
02-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Yep. Haste items also sell pretty fast and hold their value so if you need to make gear changes later you can generally sell them pretty fast for close to what you paid.

Troxx
02-08-2017, 02:06 PM
haste first - save for the ideal haste later

Thanakos
02-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Get a Sash of the Dragonborn later but definitely SCHW first.

Jimjam
02-08-2017, 02:22 PM
SCHW, do sky at 46 for Belt of Incontinence.

RDawg816
02-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Take the 400p and buy a Staff of Battle. That will be a great weapon starting at level 20. 31/37 even without haste. After that, save for SCHW.

evanderheide
02-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback. DONE DEAL, I'm saving for the SCHW and will buy as soon as possible, should be able to get the plat together by next week. Two points I wanted to single out as they sealed the deal in my mind.

Issar, your point in particular is about the importance of being able to maintain aggro from mobs trumping even AC - yes good call.. I've been in a few groups where I simply can't get the mob to pay complete attention to me. Great point!

RDawg816, YES definitely going to get a Staff of Battle, but after I buy the SCHW I think. My current weapons feel very strong and were also super affordable. Agreed that Staff + haste will rock!

RDawg816
02-08-2017, 05:45 PM
RDawg816, YES definitely going to get a Staff of Battle, but after I buy the SCHW I think. My current weapons feel very strong and were also super affordable. Agreed that Staff + haste will rock!

What's your in-game name? I have a SoB on my warrior you could borrow until you get your own. I might have other stuff lying around, too....

evanderheide
02-08-2017, 06:01 PM
What's your in-game name? I have a SoB on my warrior you could borrow until you get your own. I might have other stuff lying around, too....

My character's name is Rabkan. Thanks dude! I appreciate it, would rather skill up 2 HB at the same time if possible, so that's great, will definitely try to help you out in return when I can.

I should be on around 730 / 8 PM CT for an hour or two this evening. This weekend my buddy's in town so I won't be playing as much, but I'll be on Friday evening as well. Hit me up, help or not!

RDawg816
02-08-2017, 06:20 PM
I should be able to log in tonight after work. I'll look for you.

Tuurin
02-13-2017, 07:07 PM
SCHW, do sky at 46 for Belt of Incontinence.

Nice belt- unfortunately you sheit yourself every time you put it on, but haste is haste, amirite?

Issar
02-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Nice belt- unfortunately you sheit yourself every time you put it on, but haste is haste, amirite?

That's actually really funny. For reference, the item is supposed to be Belt of Contention.

kelsoider
02-22-2017, 07:03 PM
What makes the SCHW sell for less than FBSS? Seems like the stats are better

Xaanka
02-22-2017, 10:22 PM
What makes the SCHW sell for less than FBSS? Seems like the stats are better

glove slot _always_ has way better stats than the belt slot, so you're sacrificing a more important item slot for your haste. the fact that the stats are comparable means FBSS is significantly better.

rajax
02-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Probably a mix of a few reasons:
-SCHW weighs 1.0 compared to 0.1 for FBSS, P1999 seems extremely heavy on monks for melee, a class who cares about weight quite a bit more then the extra 1% haste and trivial stats on original "pre-buff" SCHW.

-Fashionquest says you probably would prefer visible main armor slots. Belt slot irrelevant here.

-SCHW while a higher level camp, is much easier to break and hold for level appropriate/overleveled solo/duos when compared to frenzied ghoul in lower Guk. Much faster spawn times in Velk's and more common drop as well leading to:

-Increased availability and supply overtime on SCHW as more people farm in Velious over old original content.

-Finally, generally speaking it's just far easier to find, loot and/or buy/sell good hand slot items for most classes compared to belts. Most belts that had significant stats were either extremely rare/expensive or were End game No drop or quest rewards.

Just some speculation from a guy who played at the original release and still sometimes wishes I had the free time now to play on P1999. Now if I was starting up here today I would definitely buy SCHW. Sure you might find replacements for them more often, but with the cash you saved you can equip yourself overall much faster.

Xaanka
02-23-2017, 12:16 AM
Probably a mix of a few reasons:
-SCHW weighs 1.0 compared to 0.1 for FBSS, P1999 seems extremely heavy on monks for melee, a class who cares about weight quite a bit more then the extra 1% haste and trivial stats on original "pre-buff" SCHW.

-Fashionquest says you probably would prefer visible main armor slots. Belt slot irrelevant here.

-SCHW while a higher level camp, is much easier to break and hold for level appropriate/overleveled solo/duos when compared to frenzied ghoul in lower Guk. Much faster spawn times in Velk's and more common drop as well leading to:

-Increased availability and supply overtime on SCHW as more people farm in Velious over old original content.

-Finally, generally speaking it's just far easier to find, loot and/or buy/sell good hand slot items for most classes compared to belts. Most belts that had significant stats were either extremely rare/expensive or were End game No drop or quest rewards.

Just some speculation from a guy who played at the original release and still sometimes wishes I had the free time now to play on P1999. Now if I was starting up here today I would definitely buy SCHW. Sure you might find replacements for them more often, but with the cash you saved you can equip yourself overall much faster.

drugs

kelsoider
02-23-2017, 01:12 AM
Damn. You guys(gals) broke it down. Very nice. My thanks

aaezil
04-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Don't waste money on a weapon that doesn't have an aggro proc (staff of battle) if you plan on leveling through grouping. Save up for dual wielding some good aggro weps.

kaev
04-04-2017, 02:52 AM
Don't waste money on a weapon that doesn't have an aggro proc (staff of battle) if you plan on leveling through grouping. Save up for dual wielding some good aggro weps.

If you're not obsessing minmax bullshit while levelling, it's nice to have a half decent low-agro dps weapon handy when you're grouped with another tank or two (or a ranger twink and a shaman, for that matter). Too many people on this server are relentlessly intent on destroying the notion of just having a good time playing the game in the name of whatever warped idea of perfection they are currently worshipping.

RDawg816
04-04-2017, 05:20 AM
Staff of Battle is the best bang for your buck from 20 to 40ish, and it runs like 400pp. If you think that is a waste of money and a weapon with a proc isn't, you aren't worth listening to. You won't find better dps or better aggro for anywhere similar in price.