PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary Gmge

nalkin
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
1 year ago to the day* you revolutionized this server forevermore. As a mage in a world with a low server population you took AFK leveling to a whole new degree. NO not the afk leveling where one sits afk at a camp between spawns. The more scandalous AFK leveling where a pet class will park his pet near mobs that can be soloed by that pet, and will proceed to afk while the mobs continually spawn over and over and get killed by the pet.

In a fairly new server there were only unspoken rules about AFK leveling such as "it is frowned" upon, but largely the actual consequences were undetermined. As a result the player base took it into their own hands if they felt annoyed by certain afk levelers, such as training.

These were the golden years of Gmge for discussions in AFK level were still in their early stages and there was no xp penalty for letting your pet completely kill a mob. On the night a year ago from this day* Gmge was in sister island in OOT AFK leveling when he was spotted by a player who told another player (cleric). As a pair they proceeded to train Gmge over and over, who bound at the spot he was afk leveling. This happened for hours and Gmge was killed over 70 times and went from a yellow con to a green con.

Gmge quit that night, and a few weeks later the perpetrators came forward and for the most part were supported in their actions. This event forever set the stance of the server about afk leveling.

Gmge will be with us forever because mages everywhere are forced to mem their level 1 nuke to avoid a now in effect xp penalty. So everytime you cast your burst of flame remember Gmge, and give a silent salute to the days or yore.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9782/eq000012.jpg

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2524&highlight=gmge <<< rage quitting
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3108&highlight=gmge <<< perpetrators

*I waited a complete year to post this and missed by 1 day because Kimmie is a b.

This public service message was brought to you by KaN because remembering p99's history is important if we wish to move forward as a community.

Cars
02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
/Applaud

Great story Nalkin. Good that someone is preserving the history of this very large disfunctional family!

Hobby
02-01-2011, 07:02 PM
What a fun day to read the forums as a player. It is a shame, however, that his 70 deaths have since been passed. Record is 100 something from an idiot =(

rugerx
02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
FOR CERTAIN, THIS ONE HAD CABBAGE IN HIS MUFF.

Scrooge
02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm so glad I wasn't "born a mage"...

muddy27
02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
lol nice story, im glad he went to green con and quit i hate people like that.

Jinkeybhoy
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
haha what a great couple of days that was

xshayla701
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
ah man, the good days

Estu
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Hilarious.

Glaani
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Haha! :) Thanks for sharing with those of us who weren't here at the time!

splitshine
02-02-2011, 03:35 AM
I remember hearing about this, and then going over to actually see it. It was a "Holy..... shi-" moment followed by about 20 minutes of laughter.

God bless you Gmge.

Jadian
02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
What a fun day to read the forums as a player. It is a shame, however, that his 70 deaths have since been passed. Record is 100 something from an idiot =(

Wow, wonder where he was bound.

I remember watching this female gnome drown over and over again in Kedge a couple weeks back. Must've fallen asleep or something. Drowned over and over again for at least 2 hours.

Dr4z3r
02-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Bind Affinity is, as we all know, a powerful spell. And with great power comes great ability to fuck yourself over like an idiot.

arsenalpow
02-02-2011, 03:10 PM
i wish i still had the screenshots from deleveling someone on sullon zek that bound in front of kaesora and fell asleep, she went from 70 to her 30s in one night

Darkforge
02-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Well i guess he learned a very valuable lesion and that lesion is....as said on old live Tallon Zek server,

AFK = A FREE KILL :eek:

Jenithia
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Rip Gmge~
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Jenny1979/Gmgecorpse.jpg

xshayla701
02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Bind Affinity is, as we all know, a powerful spell. And with great power comes great ability to fuck yourself over like an idiot.

nalkin knows this all too well

Messianic
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Best thread of the year.

draogan
02-03-2011, 10:50 AM
You know, honestly this surprises me -- because I'll bet we would see that the population of this server is significantly older than classic EQ (I played from ~13-15 or so from 2000-2002, which seems to be similar to a lot of others around here).

That said, in spite of the fact that people are older, this reminds me a lot of middle school -- people that are spiteful and abusive towards someone else for abusing a system, even though that abuse doesn't directly harm them in any way.

Honestly, the guy's AFK leveling, train him once and kill him to stop the process -- good on you. If he misses his rez timer, even better. Maybe even train him twice, if you're feeling particularly vindictive. Take screenshots, etc. And you know, had the mob stayed at his bind and just killed him over and over and you had just left, that would have been different too. Same outcome, but remarkably less douchey. The fact is, you spent an hour (or hours) of your day ruining some dude's day, intentionally, just for shits and giggles. Congratulations -- you act a lot like I did in the middle school PE locker room at 13.

Maybe the hardcore players on the server are younger -- I don't play very often, since I'm a grad student and have absolutely no free time. But I'm surprised that everyone seems to have supported this, since it was so obviously a dick move (not training him in the first place, but devoting two hours to doing it over and over).

korrowan
02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
You know, honestly this surprises me -- because I'll bet we would see that the population of this server is significantly older than classic EQ (I played from ~13-15 or so from 2000-2002, which seems to be similar to a lot of others around here).

That said, in spite of the fact that people are older, this reminds me a lot of middle school -- people that are spiteful and abusive towards someone else for abusing a system, even though that abuse doesn't directly harm them in any way.

Honestly, the guy's AFK leveling, train him once and kill him to stop the process -- good on you. If he misses his rez timer, even better. Maybe even train him twice, if you're feeling particularly vindictive. Take screenshots, etc. And you know, had the mob stayed at his bind and just killed him over and over and you had just left, that would have been different too. Same outcome, but remarkably less douchey. The fact is, you spent an hour (or hours) of your day ruining some dude's day, intentionally, just for shits and giggles. Congratulations -- you act a lot like I did in the middle school PE locker room at 13.

Maybe the hardcore players on the server are younger -- I don't play very often, since I'm a grad student and have absolutely no free time. But I'm surprised that everyone seems to have supported this, since it was so obviously a dick move (not training him in the first place, but devoting two hours to doing it over and over).

I lol'd... wait wrong response... tl:dr.

Chanus
02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
tl:dr

Semicolon, you troglodyte!

korrowan
02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Semicolon, you troglodyte!

Dammit. tl;dr... better?

Chanus
02-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Quite. :P

Yuda
02-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Great post! Thank you for providing a story about players who make a difference in the world they live in and shape that very world through their actions.

Choka
02-04-2011, 08:30 PM

You are in grad school and you honestly believe that AFK leveling harmed no one? Lol.

Perhaps you weren't around at the start of p1999 (this happened over a year ago) so let me school you a bit on our history.

Without a doubt the strongest dps class in any standard exp group or kiting group was magician. Some of the strongest nukes mixed with a pet that would out damage and out tank any melée. In this early era of p1999, groups would refuse to accept any melée whatsoever.

Because of this, most of the people that initially rolled melée refilled caster. It got to a point that over 20% of the level 50s were Mage.

Now let's consider that mages were able to AFK level with no penalty. This meant that mages were simply leveling up quicker and gaining access to monsters and loot that they simply should not. This didn't only fuel the Mage frenzy that was p1999 in early 2010 but it had drastic consequenses on the progression of the entire server.

The initial naggy strat on this server was warrior, a few clerics and a lot of mages with fire pets. Naggy would not have been killed nearly as early without the 8-14 fire pets immune to his aoe.

The market got deflated as well because an influx of magician farmable loot.

You may be right about any other class in the game. However AFK leveling had a massive effect on this server that still echoes to this day. It compromised the integrity of the server and affects every player who has or currently is playing on p1999.

Safon
02-06-2013, 04:19 AM
In honour of server legend Nalkin, I am reviving some of our server's great moments in history

My daddy told me one time, "you can't know where you're goin, till you know where you been"

Kagatob
02-06-2013, 04:52 AM
Reading about the old days of P99 makes me wish I jumped in at the start when I had the chance as opposed to being too damn lazy to convert my spell files.

Atennu
02-06-2013, 05:10 AM
I remember when this first happened. My reaction to him afk killing mobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of1bVlo_5Y4

Jenithia
02-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Oops, reposted the same damn screenshot I did 2 yrs ago thinking it was a new thread, carry on! :P

(rip Gmge)