PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite nostalgic moment on Live

Lhancelot
02-21-2017, 01:45 AM
I am curious what your favorite memories from Live are... I have two very distinct memories.

The first is when Velious came out, I remember me and two pals, Suldivan the paladin and Bezer the rogue running through the snow and heading into Thurgadin, that was a moment of real excitement seeing a brand new city, with all the dwarfs!

My other really fun moment was on my troll warrior Elfmelter... I was pulling and tanking in Paw, and really had a great synergy going, must have been my first really good group where I felt like a boss. :cool:

Ahh, another great memory was on SZ, in Runnyeye chasing Jebekn the necromancer who really knew RE well... I remember how much we hated him and tried so hard to kill him lol. He would jump into the water and find all kinds of ways to avoid deaths I was always impressed with Jebekn!

I got tons of memories actually now that I am thinking about it, especially from SZ because that was when I really got into not only EQ but PVP.

What memories do you have that really stand out in your mind when you think back to earlier times on EQ?

Zaela
02-21-2017, 01:57 AM
Staring at the server list for 6 straight hours waiting for stuff to come up after a patch.

Also, the first two days of the teams pvp beta on the test server before the dedicated server came up. 100 newbs in gfay, total chaos, people somehow skilling up blacksmithing enough to make banded armor within a day. Most fun I ever had on EQ, even if I got bored and stopped after 2 days.

spoof2424
02-21-2017, 01:59 AM
Crazy how some memories from live were as personal as a cubicle mate.

I've got some good ones from my live cleric on Morell-Thule where trains in Blackburrow would be shouted and then this one guy who I became v. close with turned into a FDing monk maniac. He'd hit the wall after the door and drop. One day he comes around the bend with that I got a train on my feel to him and a few folks at the wall..just drops on the spot. Sometimes you can't help but laugh, I'll always remember Smeene Pie W00t ~!!

The basic memories are fun but it's also crazy how sometimes characters carry into what you are thinking of the role in real life. I always lonered on my monk, and I have this distinct memory of spending hours in Thurg working on Bracer of Hammerfall quest. I feel like I can do pottery and work with clay because I put my brain to use on that hammer quest.
Didn't play live originally beyond Velious so I'm thankful for P99.

supermoonbeam
02-21-2017, 03:10 AM
My first venture into the game I started a Human Warrior. Started in Freeport and decided I wanted to travel to Qeynos because I was told it was far away and it seemed like a challenge. I was level 17 at the time and I didn't make it very far maybe to Kith forest.

I had asked for help after a while and eventually a character named Lillianiserynn saved me and helped me with my corpse run. In the end she gave me a Crystalline sword? I dunno it was a two-handed sword and it was way better than what I was using.

My other adventure that sticks out in my head was the time I got ported from EC to Gfay. Oh my god. I was surrounded by the first wizard spires I had seen before. I was afraid.. I thought it was dangerous and had no idea what would happen next.

jarlerop
02-21-2017, 03:14 AM
I have 3 favourites :)

1: Getting my bard epic because some RL friends were in the servers top guild and had the entire guild come kill Gore for me even tho they had guildies who needed the scale :D

2: Killing Sontalak and Vindi with some good friends.

3: Soloing in Sirens Grotto on my bard, but this was during luclin or pop.

Kesselring
02-21-2017, 05:49 AM
My first time in blackburrow, fell right through that tree. Fun times.

Witnessed a couple weddings on live, GMs were always there to officiate it. They also gave out wedding gifts and fireworks to everyone that attended. Nothing serious but cool stuff.

The halloween event, everyone running around like crazy to kill halloween mobs for their unique loot (that was actually pretty good). I miss my jack o lantern helmet from live :(.

Our server (the rathe) was the first server that awoke the sleeper as well. Although we didnt kill it. It was pretty cool although I didn't see it itself. We got messages during the sleeper event and I just remember everyone in EC tunnel going crazy.

My first naggy raid and kill was cool. I was overleveled for it and didnt get to fight but I got to watch.

korilla
02-21-2017, 07:59 AM
when I finally won a koadic's robe of heightened focus.

Nixtar
02-21-2017, 08:30 AM
The evil races invasion of MM on VZ. The good races fled in terror(well, not really) before us and there was an epic fight. We got to exp there for about an hour before the hated enemy returned in force.

So many good stories like this.

Then, when the servers merged into Zek. After a lot of trash talking from SZ, calling us "bluebies" and such(since FFA PvP was such much more awesome that Team PvP), it was extremely satisfying to stomp their behinds. I believe <Hate> was the only guild who even put up a moderate amount of resistance. Even so, the initial clash between all the Zek servers to establish what's what was epic as all hell. Perhaps, since we were used to work as a team and always facing teams of players in PvP we had the edge?

But despite the above statement, the trash talk, the banter, I only got love for the Zek servers and those who played there. Such times will never come again(unless Camelot Unchained is a success).

Amyas
02-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Getting my first epic on my bard via hosting public raids. "Not sure if that can even be a thing on p99 =("

Sonark
02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
First set of cured silk armour on my Monk, who I still play to this day

SoekiWiz
02-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Guildleader mistelling hysterical cyber to gchat and /q'ing out of mortification.

Darkoor, Quellious, cybering Malla's ass real guud. COMEDY. I still have the screenshot somewhere on an old hard drive, I was in Cobalt Scar when it happened

jakerees
02-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Guildleader mistelling hysterical cyber to gchat and /q'ing out of mortification.

Darkoor, Quellious, cybering Malla's ass real guud. COMEDY. I still have the screenshot somewhere on an old hard drive, I was in Cobalt Scar when it happened

This reminds me of the time I invised my Troll to run into Freeport. I must have been looking to turn in deathfist belts to the guy in the back of the militia building because I as I moved towards the back I started seeing some interesting /say and /emotes. Turns out there was a guy and girl (virtually at least.. you never know who is at the keyboard) underneath that deck thing that the guy you turn the belts into stands on. I hopped down invis and watched for awhile before beginning to join in the action with my own emotes and clicked off the invis. They kept running from me hoping to get into a new spot but I kept invis following them and ruining it until they logged. It was fun being a cyber cockblock.

kotton05
02-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Died in a wall. Didn't know how to /corpse , thought it was the end of the road and deleted my lvl 17 paladin to make another!

SoekiWiz
02-21-2017, 11:45 AM
This reminds me of the time I invised my Troll to run into Freeport. I must have been looking to turn in deathfist belts to the guy in the back of the militia building because I as I moved towards the back I started seeing some interesting /say and /emotes. Turns out there was a guy and girl (virtually at least.. you never know who is at the keyboard) underneath that deck thing that the guy you turn the belts into stands on. I hopped down invis and watched for awhile before beginning to join in the action with my own emotes and clicked off the invis. They kept running from me hoping to get into a new spot but I kept invis following them and ruining it until they logged. It was fun being a cyber cockblock.

Zactly what I used to do! So easy to spot, the two people sitting literally on each other's characters.

Was fun on my mnk, flop between them, emote some /moans, tell them I've been a bad lizard, etc. etc. I'd also send tells so they couldn't just "r" (cyber / bate), they'd have to cycle through their tell list. So much rage ensued lolol

Dwarvesareop
02-21-2017, 12:19 PM
My favorite moment was when I got lost in Permafrost with my 7 barbarian warrior and discovered BB by chance.
I found some dwarves and a high elf in there, I was like WTF, this game is crazy !!!!

teai
02-21-2017, 12:54 PM
I logged on and suddenly there was something like 45 people in qeynos blocking the city gates in protest for something Verant did.

I joined my brothers against the nefarious company and after a bit a GM showed up and everyone ran

dude
02-21-2017, 12:56 PM
best memory I have is de-leveling my 50 rogue to 15 and running around BS people to death out in EC on VZ.

second came later, when on my ranger i trained POI and wiped 3-4 groups at the entrance. sat out side and laughed they ran back in to loot there corpses.

ahh good times for sure.

Twochain
02-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Right before EverQuest came out, my father and I played a game called underlight. I loved that game, which made me hate EQ at first because we were no longer playing Underlight together. 9 year old me was a great dueler in underlight, so I guess I was afraid to learn a whole new game. I made a character on his account, a high elf mage named Nuedaen. Played til like level 3, and gave up.

Two weeks later, as I only played computer games and saw my dad once every other weekend, my dad told me he moved my character to a better location (EC) and to give it another chance. I dinged level 4, got my new pet spells from freeport.. and headed over to inn 2. I had just got done killing a large spider, when suddenly, rain starts pouring from the sky! I thought that was the coolest, and I vividly remember how awesome the eq rain/thunder sounded to me through our shitty computer speakers. But! My pet! I didn't want him to get wet! So i took him to the empty hut next to inn 2, and waited out the storm.

Maybe anti climatic, but sitting in that abandoned hut listening to the rain pour outside was the first time I realized I truly loved this game.

Lhancelot
02-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Right before EverQuest came out, my father and I played a game called underlight. I loved that game, which made me hate EQ at first because we were no longer playing Underlight together. 9 year old me was a great dueler in underlight, so I guess I was afraid to learn a whole new game. I made a character on his account, a high elf mage named Nuedaen. Played til like level 3, and gave up.

Two weeks later, as I only played computer games and saw my dad once every other weekend, my dad told me he moved my character to a better location (EC) and to give it another chance. I dinged level 4, got my new pet spells from freeport.. and headed over to inn 2. I had just got done killing a large spider, when suddenly, rain starts pouring from the sky! I thought that was the coolest, and I vividly remember how awesome the eq rain/thunder sounded to me through our shitty computer speakers. But! My pet! I didn't want him to get wet! So i took him to the empty hut next to inn 2, and waited out the storm.

Maybe anti climatic, but sitting in that abandoned hut listening to the rain pour outside was the first time I realized I truly loved this game.

Yes this reminds me how I used to marvel at the sun on EQ, or the water how beautiful it looked... I still find these details quite captivating tbh. It's really amazing how old this game is, yet even still it manages to have some really magical facets to it!

Auviena
02-21-2017, 05:26 PM
I recall when people were making cheese in Luclin by mixing rennet and milk (I think) and sold back to NPC's with a good profit.

One of the ingedients was sold only by a single merchant.
There must have been 20+ people inside that merchants shop alone, crafting away.

Suddenly a GM (I think his name was Thilo) showed up and killed that merchant with a single strike.
Someone cried out something in the line of "Why'd you do that?"
GM swiftly replied "Your cheese-making days are over. He will not be back".

Luckily for me I had just stocked up on that (now no longer obtainable) resourse, so I could make one more batch.

ZiggyTheMuss
02-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Ahhh this bittersweet tale from when I was but a scrub coming up on rallos zek.

I had a rogue that I leveled up to 20 then later delevelled to 10 to pk noobs in gfay. I had pretty mediocre gear and a decent piercing weapon at the time so I could own most people around my level unless they were twinked (which was much more uncommon on live at the time unlike how everyone thinks their alts on p99.)

There were a couple of infamous twinked and delevelled rogues from flowers of happiness that would terrorize gfay much more successfully than me. I remember one was a male dwarf named Jooke and there was a female dwarf with a B name, I think Breezi or something like that. I had been rekt by them numerous times.

Anyways, one day i was sneaking about and spied a twinked out bard chilling with a group on Orc hill. Just as I was about to attack, these 2 twinked FoH rogues appeared and back stabbed the guy. I stabbed immediately after and landed the killing blow. With my hands shaking I quickly looted him and selected the best piece I could find, an ikky bp (which were worth bank at the time!)

I bagged the armor just in time for the 2 rogues to murder me. I spawned and I remember Jooke immediately start sending me tells and saying he would trade me whatever crappy 100pish item they looted from me in exchange for the ikky bp (lol yeah right) that was "rightfully theirs." I told him to piss off and he threatened to Pk me all the time (which they already did anyways, duh.) The bard was also messaging me, offering to buy the BP back but I just laughed.

This was my ticket to the good loots! I was going to sell it and get a bunch of nice stuff finally! After auctioning for a while I talked to a guy who said he would give me plat plus jboots for it. My 16 year old gullible ass gave him the bp up front and he logged to get his alt for the jboots turn in. Spoiler alert: it never happened.

So it was an emotional roller coaster for my noob ass at the time but I will always remember Jooke, the bard and those awesome jboots I never got D:

ZiggyTheMuss
02-21-2017, 06:37 PM
The evil races invasion of MM on VZ. The good races fled in terror(well, not really) before us and there was an epic fight. We got to exp there for about an hour before the hated enemy returned in force.

So many good stories like this.

Then, when the servers merged into Zek. After a lot of trash talking from SZ, calling us "bluebies" and such(since FFA PvP was such much more awesome that Team PvP), it was extremely satisfying to stomp their behinds. I believe <Hate> was the only guild who even put up a moderate amount of resistance. Even so, the initial clash between all the Zek servers to establish what's what was epic as all hell. Perhaps, since we were used to work as a team and always facing teams of players in PvP we had the edge?

But despite the above statement, the trash talk, the banter, I only got love for the Zek servers and those who played there. Such times will never come again(unless Camelot Unchained is a success).

But Sullon Zek WAS teams, are you possibly referring to Rallos Zek?

Tuurin
02-21-2017, 06:57 PM
I remember vividly my first exciting experience on Morrell Thule which probably cemented EQ into my psyche- I had made a dwarf Paladin and leveled him up to like 5 or something and left the safety of the newbie area and made my way to the crossroads in BB.

Up to that point I had only seen dwarves so I was amazed when this giant guy came running by in what looked like the most badass armor (it was a barbarian in banded- I know that now). He goes running by and I decide I gotta see where this studly dude is headed so I take off after him and decide to follow him- long story short I follow him all the way into Dagnor's Cauldron and get hopelessly lost. In the meantime night falls and I have no idea where the tall guy went to or how to get out of this crazy place with all of the rocks and crevices that all look the same etc. Eventually I made my way back to the zoneline (no idea how I found it, just stumbling around in the dark and trying to avoid all of the aqua goblins and other scary stuff that's wandering around in DC). I then start making my way back through Butcherblock and agro a couple goblins who start chasing me. I'll never forget I saw the torch lights from the guard station at the crossroads and start bee-lining for them and get rescued at the last second by Nyzil Bloodforge. I was literally shaking I was so freakin scared of dying and losing my precious level 5 corpse.

Like a week later I dumped that guy when they opened Terris Thule and started on what eventually became my main chars that I played until GoD. Don't think I was ever that scared again in any game though.

Brut
02-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Ran around FelwitheB with ogre friend playing hide and seek in our 20s.
Then got killed by elf guildmaster.

milanojay
02-21-2017, 07:39 PM
I wasn't even familiar with the term 'RPG' at the time (was playing old flight sims and never touched DnD or RPG stuff). I was also playing some weird online 3D chats software, and IRC.

I got into the EQ closed beta (I felt it lasted a very long time before retail). But I didn't really know it was a 'game'. I thought of it more of a 3D 'world' or another chat with some activities.

I made a newbie in Halas and saw NPCs everywhere. I didn't know what an NPC was, what the point of them was or anything - they were casting spells on themselves. I thought they were other players. So I spent the first 15-20 mins walking up to all the NPCs who were static saying 'hi'... 'a/s/l' ... 'where ya from'... no answers, I thought maybe I was using chat wrong or something.

Man I must have spent days and days figuring out the town, walking around, typing to NPCs, I'd see another player run by and I'd go chase them and say STOP!!! until they turned around, then I'd ask a million questions.

One gave me a whole setup of banded, and a weapon - and said 'Go fight stuff'... I had no idea what that meant, fight? I didn't know this game had combat. Well... I ended up going to fight outside of Halas (in Everfrost) and started to slowly figure stuff out. Found out how to use the chat, found out how to /tell, found out about skills, stats (stat points from a non rpg player? WTF?). Second day I log in ready to go 'fight'... I remember the GMs were in everfrost, controlling a fire giant and an ice giant to fight each other, and tons of players around betting on them and stuff. Anyways that was the 'start' of my career. I had many other epic moments later, getting my Primal Spear on my rogue, getting my rogue Epic, pulling MANY all nighters, skipping school, faking sick, just to play all day long.

I remember very vividly when it became night time I was blown away, or rain, or if other players walked by me doing their own thing, I Swore i stopped everyone just to chat. I came from IRC/chat programs and was under the impression the game was a social game more than some sort of fledged out actual game, that all came much later.

I have very similar fond memories of the early stages of AC as well. Running through the night, seeing a torch from another player way in the distance... panicking while I get to them safely, saying hi, killing stuff together.

Ahhhhhhh

rotenvok
02-22-2017, 07:38 AM
I miss running throught the Warsliks Woods with my old iksar friends

fadetree
02-22-2017, 09:33 AM
I remember getting lost trying to get out of Surefall glade with no torch and no clue in June '99. I remember standing back to back on top of a hill with another ranger during the Halloween event against wave after wave of skeletons, when the sun rose we were the only two still left alive. I remember the war between the Skorchers and the Grudge Bearers, and it's bloody conclusion in the noob fields of Freeport while the hot sun burned down. I remember when they oopsied during Luclin and turned the archery delay to 0 for about 6 hours. Mostly I remember my friends in Arcane Phalanx.

Tann
02-22-2017, 10:40 AM
When Velious went live I created a level 1 human and went on an adventure to Thurgadin, sow-less, human night vision, and clip plane turned way down to keep framerates up on my old pc.

Managed the run deathless, somehow avoided aggro, and was even accused of getting help cause it was apparently "impossible" to get there otherwise. :mad:

Lhancelot
02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Up to that point I had only seen dwarves so I was amazed when this giant guy came running by in what looked like the most badass armor (it was a barbarian in banded- I know that now).

HA! I now remember when I also seen some dude and he had a HELM on!!! I don't think I had seen anyone with a helmet, and the guy had a surname too. I asked him how he had a last name I don't remember what he said probably told me he was level 20 (WOW!!!!) This guy was a barbarian too, I distinctly remember the horned helm which really was awesome to me. rofl.

acidtone
02-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Me and my roommate were in Darkenbane on RZ, one day I de-guilded so I could get some xp with him(He was pretty well known pk so dropping tag meant nothing for him) I got a tell from someone in EW saying if I knew I was grouped with someone from DB. I was like no....oh shit you want to help me kill him? So the sucker came at us thinking I was gonna help him kill my buddy ......lol oh man I got so much hate for that

Damn
02-23-2017, 05:02 AM
my favorite memories of live as a young wizard on sullon zek were all the day to day skirmishes and all the amazing mass pvp fights between my guild Tow and Hate all the corpse camping the train wars

Sadly no other server or game will replicate the sheer anarchy and grief sullon was and how truly exhiliarating it was to have a 100 percent free wil to do whatever you wanted however you want it

(Remove pnp on red99)

Nixtar
02-23-2017, 11:59 AM
But Sullon Zek WAS teams, are you possibly referring to Rallos Zek?

Ah, my bad, mixed them up. Still, live PvP, competing over zones and versus other guilds were such good times. Sort of miss having to look over my shoulder during fights and still, on habit, have my /who hotkey to see who's in zone.

jerok88
03-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Was 14, cybered with some married chick while her husband watched on New Years in one of the towers Tundra Jack visits in Everfrost.

Played a bard, twisted 4 to 5 songs and people were impressed, but couldn't go on raids because my connection was so crappy too many people would lag me. Became known as 'the linkdead bard'

My first mob with rampage I was second on the aggro. They told me to watch out for rampage, I said 'what's rampage?' Then I was suddenly extremely low health and tried to run away, but I was so low health I walked away slowly and nearly died. The other party members said it was hilarious timing.

Arislyn
03-05-2017, 01:05 AM
During Kunark two of the top guilds were amassing raid forces outside KC for VS. There was a dispute as to who first had a raid force ready to engage VS. A GM intervened, settling the dispute by having each guild choose a champion to DUEL each other for the right to engage VS first.

Cenii
03-05-2017, 01:23 AM
raid ended and for some reason everyone stayed in group and went AFK for the nigth (we were in shadowhaven) so the few of us that were still awake around 3am decided we would port the group to gfay and coth the rogue to crushbone and levi him and push him thru the zoneline and once in crushbone we coth'd him to emp crush and somehow had emp crush kill him

thats prob my fav memory.

meadtj
03-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Being at the first ever avatar of war kill

meadtj
03-05-2017, 02:22 PM
raid ended and for some reason everyone stayed in group and went AFK for the nigth (we were in shadowhaven) so the few of us that were still awake around 3am decided we would port the group to gfay and coth the rogue to crushbone and levi him and push him thru the zoneline and once in crushbone we coth'd him to emp crush and somehow had emp crush kill him

thats prob my fav memory.

umm that sounds strangely familiar, I remember doing that I think. were you on nameless?

Axlrose
03-05-2017, 03:00 PM
I have numerous nostalgic moments, which I will name a few:

- One of my characters running across the plains of Karana and being awe inspired at the bridge, thinking (in game) the size of the spikes tugging it across the river must have been created by giants (the Combine Empire).

- My bard being invited to one excellent group at the giant fort in Frontier Mountains. There was a monk in our group that dropped, and then later gave me his silver and copper coins. I remember moving through two levels in my 30s with that group. And it was one of the few times (only three other games made me do this) - "Alright, a few more minutes... hey, what's that bright thing peeking through my windows? The sun? But it is ... what time is it?"

- My bard taking the boat to Velious for the first time and running across that dragon's skeletal bridge, stopping to listen to the winds, and thinking "Typical winter sounds of Chicago!"

More as I think of them.

Cenii
03-05-2017, 03:22 PM
umm that sounds strangely familiar, I remember doing that I think. were you on nameless?

i was on Povar. the rogue was named Gnidget.

Jimjam
03-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Died in a wall. Didn't know how to /corpse , thought it was the end of the road and deleted my lvl 17 paladin to make another!

I never understood the 'I lost my stuff so I'm deleting' thing...

Surely it is better to start again with a naked level something than a naked level 1?

Ikon
03-05-2017, 09:42 PM
1. First run to luclin spires from nek as 20 dark elf. Actually consider Luclin classic.
2. First time in Nertherbian Lair getting jumped by those creepy alien guys.
3. Doing first Stein Quest n exploring Antonica.

No game since has held the same appeal or been as engagung. EvE online at launch was close but nowhere near as immersive or expansive as EQ.

zaneosak
03-06-2017, 04:23 PM
1. Going to Velious for the first time and crossing the giant bridge in Iceclade (or Great Divide) can't remember which. Thinking how amazing this new continent was visually and how many adventures it might offer.
2. First time in Vox's lair doing a pickup raid for Vox when I was like lvl 45 (cleric).
3. Getting Ragefire to spawn and actually being there sitting for when he popped (Skyfire version) mobilizing my entire guild to come help with it and racing another guild that was trying to leap frog, winning the race and getting my cleric epic.

Crookstinger
03-06-2017, 05:56 PM
I vividly remember the first night I played, which was June or July '99, trying to simply learn how to get around, talk to folks, and generally not fall off Kelethin (took a few tries to learn that) while hanging out with my RL best friend. I also remember being fascinated by the rain.

Not long after, my friend and I were camping the undead obelisk in Lesser Fay. Between spawns this really low level high elf (level 5ish probably) without a stitch of armor came up to us, asking all sorts of questions. Suddenly behind him a mummy spawned, went "HOOO-AAAHH" as mummies do, and in one or two sickening crunches, mashed that newbie into paste. We both just stood in amazement, then spent the next little while howling with laughter.

I also fondly remember spending hours in Lesser Faydark trying to find and kill Crookstinger. That big ass wasp will always have a special place in my heart.

meadtj
03-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Was 14, cybered with some married chick while her husband watched on New Years in one of the towers Tundra Jack visits in Everfrost

I do feel I must apoligize for this though. It was a scam my friend ran to get free items. He either 2 boxed the husband character or his friend pretended to be the husband while he attracted the victim. He did it to mainly get free gear and pp but he stopped later bc he realized people who cybered in EQ were usually pretty broke and the people that did have pp were too nerdy to cyber.

Why the married thing? for some reason he determined it was easier to entice people to cyber.

Why apologize? I saw it happen many times and never told the victims

meadtj
03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
i was on Povar. the rogue was named Gnidget.

Maybe this was just something that was universally figured out across servers. We all realized how hilarious it would be for people falling asleep at keyboard =op

guildie logs in, "why am I naked...? wheres my corpse?..crushbone??? No one has my password! How did i die there?"

Kohedron
03-08-2017, 09:02 PM
I was a young'n when I played live, which is crazy to think about.

Anyway, my very first character was a half elf warrior, named eloquently, Neutronium (named after my favorite bomb in Master of Orion 2).

I was an uber noob, never played anything online at that point. I was running around through EC when I got wrecked by a random mob. Some guy tried to save me. His name was Dagimir. I still died.

A week or whatever goes by, and I decided I wanted to play a shadowknight. So I make one, named after my hero. I call myself 'Digimir'.

Some few months go by. I run into Dagimir as Digimir. I was so excited to meet him.

He abruptly says, "you stole my name. Let's duel to see who keeps it".

Reluctantly, I accept. He destroys me. I keep Digimir regardless, but never see him again.

Cenii
03-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Maybe this was just something that was universally figured out across servers. We all realized how hilarious it would be for people falling asleep at keyboard =op

guildie logs in, "why am I naked...? wheres my corpse?..crushbone??? No one has my password! How did i die there?"

:D i still have screenshots of it

ZiggyTheMuss
03-09-2017, 03:12 AM
:D i still have screenshots of it

Pics or gtfo!

Sebastionleo
03-09-2017, 03:28 AM
I died somewhere, on my level 27 Barbarian rogue, and quit for a year. Came back, Velious was out, and my guy was naked. Ran into the guild leader of the Wolf Pact on Solusek Ro, a semi-roleplaying guild of only barbarians. He hooked me up with a slime coated harpoon, mith bp, and a few other pieces to get started. Then I spent the next 20 or so levels being asked "Sow please" because they saw the SCH on a barb and assumed shammy...

Sitting at my buddy's house, grouping in Sebilis while he watched, listening to Buddy Holly by Weezer, and 2 other songs, on repeat because its what was playing, for hours.

This one goes beyond "classic" but, the night I got back out of bed (school night in high school), rejoined my guild's raid of Fennin Ro in the Plane of Fire, and got the best backstabber in PoP, Ifir, Dagger of Fire.

Swish
03-09-2017, 03:42 AM
That first run from Felwithe to Kelethin along the path in the middle of night, not knowing if you're about to encounter an orc pawn which will surely kill you or if you'll take a wrong turn and hit one of the dead ends.

Add poor lighting, a CRT monitor, and an increased heartbeat....then the relief when you get to the Kelethin lifts and see friendly faces and maybe someone who will give you a buff :)

fan D
03-09-2017, 04:53 AM
i always made toons in gfay area, I was a wood elf ranger and i would go up to powerful players and ask them for plat. this one female wood elf warrior gave me 10pp, was a huge deal.

somehow i acquired like a full set of banded armor, i was level 7 wood elf ranger. i'm also in the 4th grade at this point, i think I look SO COOL with the little tree image on my chest. Im in crushbone at the entrance, just out of the tunnel by that one tree. Someone has a Green Jade Broadsword and I think it's the coolest looking sword in the world. One of us propses the trade, my full set of banded for his green jade broadsword and we accept on the trade. Except he put like a rusty 2hander in the window and I put all of my banded armor in and hit trade. Dude ran off and im trying to figure out what happened.

was so upset I quit the wood elf druid and made a dwarf warrior, just like my older brother. the rest is history

fuck you whoever it was on The Nameless

fan D
03-09-2017, 04:58 AM
so I make my dwarf warrior and kill some goblins and find a rusty Scimitar. i think its SO AWESOME looking and i decide its the best weapon in the world. I would kill mobs through BBM and everytime I would die i'd never be able to find my corpse. Id spend the next 30mins-1hr looking for another goblin wielding that rusty scmitar. I decided I could only hunt with that.

Then I found out a NPC deep in kaladim would pay 1 WHOLE platinum for a cracked staff. So when I went to GFAY at level 5 or so everytime I got a cracked staff i would run all the way back to Kaladim, go into the lower Kaladin and go into that hut with that one merchant who would give me a FULL platinum for my cracked staff. repeated this process constantly

Bubbles
03-09-2017, 05:13 AM
I led a charmed life by picking a high elf cleric. Felwithe was such an easy and basic zone to run around in. Levels 1-5 were a breeze and then crushbone/butcherblock were there to get me ready for Unrest and beyond.

I flipped a coin between the cleric and a DE SK. My god it would have taken me a week to find nek forest from the depths of Neriak. And all those poison spiders and snakes. No wonder most DEs were angry lol. They started out with proof the server hated them.

The first quest i completed was the Nybright Sisters and the Drunkard (daddy) in Kelethin. That let me know right away questing was not where it was 'at' in EQ. heh.

Jimjam
03-09-2017, 05:59 AM
On Tallon Zek a gnome offered escorts to BB in Greater Fay. I was on my brand new wood elf ranger.

On a blue server I had played a few levels on a barbarian shaman, making me more experienced with the Everfrost area. With my limited knowledge, I thought this was a great opportunity to return to the more familiar Black Burrow.

So, I meet the gnome at the lifts, he starts taking me down a path.

While isolated, we are suddenly attacked and rooted by a named Earth Elemental!! I get rooted and the gnome refuses to help me. To make the matter worse, someone was hitting me with magic nukes!

Disgusted at his apathy I did the only thing I could think of, I started unloading all of my VERY expensive arrows into the gnome. If he was going to let me die, I would not let him live either! I didn't care that I was burning through coppers worth of ammunitions!

It was only much later I realised I had actually been duped.

Indeed, this magician was trying to trick newbs into following him to BUTCHERBLOCK so he could PK them.

He was not the apathetic bystander I had believed, it was his earth pet and nukes that had attacked me! When he saw a young ranger not knowing the difference between bb (butcherblock) and bb (blackburrow) he must have thought he struck gold!

fan D
03-09-2017, 06:02 AM
On Tallon Zek a gnome offered escorts to BB in Greater Fay. I was on my brand new wood elf ranger.

On a blue server I had played a few levels on a barbarian shaman, making me more experienced with the Everfrost area. With my limited knowledge, I thought this was a great opportunity to return to the more familiar Black Burrow.

So, I meet the gnome at the lifts, he starts taking me down a path.

While isolated, we are suddenly attacked and rooted by a named Earth Elemental!! I get rooted and the gnome refuses to help me. To make the matter worse, someone was hitting me with magic nukes!

Disgusted at his apathy I did the only thing I could think of, I started unloading all of my VERY expensive arrows into the gnome. If he was going to let me die, I would not let him live either! I didn't care that I was burning through coppers worth of ammunitions!

It was only much later I realised I had actually been duped.

Indeed, this magician was trying to trick newbs into following him to BUTCHERBLOCK so he could PK them.

He was not the apathetic bystander I had believed, it was his earth pet and nukes that had attacked me! When he saw a young ranger not knowing the difference between bb (butcherblock) and bb (blackburrow) he must have thought he struck gold!
did he die ?? did u die ????
??

Bubbles
03-09-2017, 06:53 AM
From what i gathered from the story, the mage was neither afk or petless.

myriverse
03-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Wife and I were with a group in ToFS when a GM came by and roleplayed with us. She asked how an half-elf ranger (wife) justified being married to a DE shadowknight, and we responded with a "circle of life" story.

Wife earned some trinket gift. Shadowknight got scowls, because... racism.

Caridry
03-09-2017, 12:28 PM
fansy the bard

meadtj
03-09-2017, 01:44 PM
i always made toons in gfay area, I was a wood elf ranger and i would go up to powerful players and ask them for plat. this one female wood elf warrior gave me 10pp, was a huge deal.

somehow i acquired like a full set of banded armor, i was level 7 wood elf ranger. i'm also in the 4th grade at this point, i think I look SO COOL with the little tree image on my chest. Im in crushbone at the entrance, just out of the tunnel by that one tree. Someone has a Green Jade Broadsword and I think it's the coolest looking sword in the world. One of us propses the trade, my full set of banded for his green jade broadsword and we accept on the trade. Except he put like a rusty 2hander in the window and I put all of my banded armor in and hit trade. Dude ran off and im trying to figure out what happened.

was so upset I quit the wood elf druid and made a dwarf warrior, just like my older brother. the rest is history

fuck you whoever it was on The Nameless

It was the same guy that cybered dude I mentioned earlier. =P Nameless was his main server.

skarlorn
03-09-2017, 06:48 PM
my most memorable time was nro dervs

ogress shamans hitting me with tainted breath

fuckin dank level 13s

Jimjam
03-10-2017, 03:14 AM
did he die ?? did u die ????
??

Sadly I don't really remember either of us dying!

In retrospect suspect the gnome panicked and either gated or hit the nearby Lesser Fay zoneline.

Then again, I suppose a corpse run just following the path would have been pretty trivial and easily forgotten.

What I do remember is continuing my adventure down the path alone, eventually zoning into Butcherblock (not black burrow sadly).

I made the best of the situation when I realised the scarabs were slow runners and slowly levelled up beyond level 9 (I remember getting those sweet spells!) doing this. Ivory would be proud of this bow kiting ranger.

I think my name was 'Group'. I chose this intentionally to receive mistells from other newbies, find where they were hunting and track them down, like the wood elf bounty hunter I was.

dude
03-10-2017, 11:19 AM
I have another one when I was on my rogue taking the boat to kunark, walking the chains at the top of the boat. Practicing safe fall from the bridge in feerrott was also fun. Sneaking into the lighty towns not to kill but to let them know yeah you ant safe nowhere.

ZiggyTheMuss
03-10-2017, 02:27 PM
My FIRST character was a high elf wizard on Povar. I decided that I wanted to be a "battle wizard" so I put most of my starting points into STR. I also turned in my book to the PoD, not knowing the consequences (couldn't buff or be buffed by non red people.) later I saved up a bunch of plat from crushbone belt sales and purchased a fine steel great staff from a merchant for 70 plat. I felt so uber with that thing. I think I pissed off a lot of groups with my meleeing Battle Wiz but I did not know any better!

Mirakk82
03-24-2017, 01:43 AM
Couple of fun ones, super abridged to keep it from being a novel.

My first time riding the boat, I'd just gotten a twinked set of Darkforge Armor and a Dark Reaver on my DE SK from a kid at school. I was level 13, and this was during Kunark. I felt like a total badass until the boat left without me because it took me so long to zone. I dropped into the drink and had to camp underwater nearly drowning in the process. Next day after school I logged in and swam a while until I found these two rocks with goblins on them. I fought the goblins a while, and the boat miraculously came and I was saved.

Another was getting married in the Dreadlands on the ruins not far from the wizard spires. I'd been leveling with a High Elf Enchantress for like a year daily before that. It was a great day with many friends.

Getting my necromancer epic. When I went to get the cloak of spiroc feathers, my guild made me eat the first Death Touch from Keeper of Souls as a punishment for dragging them all up there to do it.

Wiping outside of Kael Drakkal when the whole guild was following our Dwarf Cleric to go kill Vindi. He popped his Divine Aura and dropped down into the ravine. Most of us were afk on autofollow, auto-running while talking, or otherwise not paying attention, so the raid wiped at his feet. I was typing a tell, so I saw the whole thing. It was hysterical.

Defending my barbarian rogue friend in Naggy's Lair when she fell asleep camping the guy for the golden efreeti boots. I cleared that camp for like 4 hours defending her until she woke up so she didn't die.

Turning on /roleplay and putting away my pet and scythe then selling Translocates in PoK. I had a couple takers, and I'd cast sacrifice, and they learned the hard way that when you make a deal with the devil, you better read the fine print. A GM got petitioned and asked me about it. I fessed up, and he laughed about it, and suggested I stop, because that's really mean, but it's not against the TOS.

Downing Lord Nagafen in my family guild that honestly didn't raid much

Crawdad
03-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Racing for Tormax during Velious. Guild #1 beats us to FTE. Trash talk starts and a bard from guild#2 gets fed up, so he starts belting out one particularly righteous jam.

<King Tormax Gates>.

A few seconds of disbelief washes over the two guilds as tanks and clerics begin a disappearing/reappearing act courtesy of Tormax. Many belly laughs were had, one bard took a sabbatical, and we took a couple days off from raiding to reflect.

Still makes me smile though.

Jmcwrestling
03-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Turning on /roleplay and putting away my pet and scythe then selling Translocates in PoK. I had a couple takers, and I'd cast sacrifice, and they learned the hard way that when you make a deal with the devil, you better read the fine print. A GM got petitioned and asked me about it. I fessed up, and he laughed about it, and suggested I stop, because that's really mean, but it's not against the TOS

This is my favorite

Miasaou
03-26-2017, 06:31 PM
I was one of the few people (silly) enough to have max pottery when the Protection of the Cabbage quest came out. I wasn't in a high end guild, I just really enjoyed tradeskilling, but when everyone needed golden idols of tunare I was suddenly supplying some of the high end guilds on my server with idols. It was loads of fun..and I was happy to do the combines for free. Then one evening one of the guilds invited me on a raid with them as a thank you. They ended up letting me loot a Mask of Pulchritude which stayed in my bank even when I upgraded that slot because it was such an awesome thank you!

Nordraak
03-27-2017, 07:54 AM
1. My first raid
My first character was a troll warrior, and Chardok Royals was the first ever raid I got to attend. It was super exciting! I had never even been in Chardok as I was only lvl 48 or thereabouts.

2. General V'ghera
I tried to gather enough people to do the last fight in the rogue epic, the one in Kithicor Forest with General V'ghera. Unfortunately not enough people came. So after a while I logged for the evening, disappointed.

Then later that evening I saw a message on our guild forums: "Voc, get online now! We are good to go!" Turns out a couple of good friends in my guild had gone out and wrangled just enough people from all sorts of places to come and help!

I logged on, and there they were: a raidforce ready to help me with my epic. The fight went flawlessly. I was so incredibly moved by this generosity, and still am to this day!

3. Hate & Mischief
I guess most rogues remember this one if they did it: porting naked up to a fully popped plane of Hate, then sneaking (printed out map in hand) to the maestro to pick up the parchment (or whatever it was). It was just really nervewracking and exciting. Never gotten that feeling from another game than EQ.

Then much later I got Shroud of Stealth + Escape on my rogue, and I sneaked through NToV - looking nervously around at all the dragons, then clicking the little PoM castle and going there for the first time.

(If any Aurora Polaris, Phoenix Alliance or Watchkeepers-people are reading this: Hello!)

deniedius
03-27-2017, 02:26 PM
I can't help but drop a story in here. I'll admit I don't find much time to play P1999 but I enjoy the youtube videos, forums, and other things. I'm just a huge fan of the game and I still think about it to this day.

I remember way back when I got this game in high school, and I made a ranger. On a side note I always got flack for taking forever to level, and I had no idea there was an Xp penalty at the time. Oh well. Anyway, I was really keen on running to Halas from Faydark when I reached a certain level. I just loved snow level, and being a ranger I felt it was just cool to be able to run around and learn everything inside and out. Somehow I ended up in kithikor forest. I literally remember a guy telling me "hey don't get stuck here after dark". Well i did, and I remember just going all the way to the edge of the zone and watching this red con npc necro below me with his pet the entire night.

I will say my great memory all in all was just priding myself on being able to eventually go just about anywhere in the game, especially when I had sow and wolf form. Later on I got ports more often and it became more useless, but there was something awesome about knowing where to go and also guiding others to places.

Pilgrimzero
03-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Some guildies and I are sitting in Guk. We have seen these cool shields and told they come from a named spider so we go to seek it out.

Well we find the spawn and proceed to camp it. And the darn names spider keeps not spawning.

Well I get up and do my "dance of spider summoning" and I kid you not it spawned right after I finished as it had the shield!

Great times.

Vidar
03-28-2017, 10:52 PM
The first time i ever played EQ(or had a computer) was in 2000. My cousin who introduced me to eq had a Barbarian shaman. Once i started i was hooked. I played more in three days than he had played in...how ever long he had been playing.
I made a dwarf paladin. Honestly, the only reason i chose a paladin is because when i was making my first toon my cousin was there and i asked him, "What's a Paladin?" His answer was close to, "Imagine a warrior with all the skills of a wizard." Yah, he got that way wrong. I would have been better off being a warrior.
When i was level 9 i decided to travel to Halas to go see my cousin. My ingame friend decided to go with me. She was a 12 high elf mage. We began our journey from Gfay. We had no idea where we were going or how to get there. We hadnt got to the point of looking up maps. We managed to get to EK, and somehow my friend found some to try and help us get through the karanas. Halfway through NK we all got killed and my friends had to log. I managed to get myself to WK and followed the road until i came upon some humans standing in the road...they were bandits. I died and found myself in HHK.
A halfelf Paladin offered to get me to Qeynos. We headed out and I found out there were buffs for run speed...I found this out cuz the pally had asked someone for a sow but i didnt know any better. So he clicked off his Sow and we rsn together to NK. I remember halfway through a griffon(or something close) attacked us and i asked if he needed help. Of course a level 9 paladin couldnt do anything, but i didnt know that. He said he thought he could handle it, and it turns out he could and we headed on. I was prepared to forget my corpse and just get to halas, but a little ways into WK the pally asked where i had died. I told him i died on the road a little ways in(i didnt know bandints were a thing or that they would be there again). He ran me all the way to my body and then the rest of the way to qeynos.
Eventually i found my way to Everfrost peaks and met up with my cousin. It was a tad anticlimactic. He hardly played and i spent my time in BB. Eventually i went to oasis, and the story goes on.

Lhancelot
03-28-2017, 11:12 PM
going with 5 RL friends to south karana to hopefully kill gnolls ( we were all 28-29 )

we managed to kill a gnoll but it got 3 of us , we ate our exp deaths and went back to unrest.

lol.

RedXIII
03-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Mana burn wizards getting together to blow targets once a day. Was very funny and good cash. WTB Luclin!

Maxed
04-02-2017, 10:20 AM
I was on the rathe when that went down. Blood of the spider.

ThomasGrey
04-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Being cold irl when first playing beta and running around Halas and EverFrost.

Finding Blackburrow by accident.

Running from Qeynos to Freeport at level 14 with no help ( completing the fleshy orb quest just to receive a janky fs short sword).

Orc Hill.

KEWLGET
04-05-2017, 03:06 PM
navigating kelethin as a brand new player

Videri
04-05-2017, 05:08 PM
navigating kelethin as a brand new player

Aw...now that's classic! Are you new around here? Seem like a Good Guy.

Cult
04-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Found out that NPCs will pick up dropped items the hard way while trying to drop transfer most of my net worth in qcat near the shark tank.

Two faithful EQ companions port over immediately and an epic fight with Omorb and Timvu ensues. They die, somehow I survive and discover that items "picked up" by NPCs poof instantly.

The resulting faction hits made me kos to the rogue guild in Qeynos and I was killed a short time later in Crow's Tavern.

Brawnwynn/Chelios I will never forget your brave sacrifices nor your awkward in-game romance

lethstang
05-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Orc hill at 4am, waves of waves of orcs, only myself and another dude left standing. Orc hill is where shit gets real.

Schmandis
05-03-2017, 05:31 PM
All of this as my Paladin Gathorn on E'ci.

Soloing Hadden as a newbie after a long long camp and getting the earring to drop.
Joining a high-end guild and completing the 10th Ring War.
Killing Vindi and looting the chestplate.
Partaking in the server 2nd AoW kill.
Looting Sontalak's talisman for my ST key and shortly after getting my Primal Lance.