PDA

View Full Version : Making plat

Kelor
02-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Mentioning no names, a friend got 50 million plat put in his trade window, as the trader was trying to move.

How the heck does someone make that much? I mean, I can understand a few million, but that's crazy.

Baler
02-25-2017, 05:38 PM
probably a guild bank if it really was 50mill

some ways off the top of my head..
selling highly sought after items that no longer drop.
selling items from raids
selling accounts when it was allowed.
trading red to blue when it was allowed.
farming day in and day out.
playing back when there was bugs/exploits
Offering services such as power leveling over an extended period of time.
Flipping high value items in EC over a ridiculous amount of time.
Having friends in high places.
Playing for the past 7+ years.

Tenet
02-25-2017, 06:21 PM
Mentioning no names, a friend got 50 million plat put in his trade window, as the trader was trying to move.

How the heck does someone make that much? I mean, I can understand a few million, but that's crazy.

The better question would be, why?

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-25-2017, 06:29 PM
epeen

schnickusaurus
02-25-2017, 06:31 PM
RMT no doubt. Why? Cuz you dont know who it was.

schnickusaurus
02-25-2017, 06:32 PM
That was answer to question why btw :p

Tenet
02-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Epeen in our age? I mean kudos to the younglings out there, but based on age of the players in my guild, I can safely say that we are not in our twenties anymore.

Also RMT? It exists on P99? Never heard or saw any sign of it tbh. It is possible that my eyes don't see the signs as I am absolutely not interested in such an activity.

The only reason I can think of, is that someone might enjoy collecting platinum, made this his goal, playing the merchant like a trading minigame in EQ. If that makes him happy, that I could understand.

Alanus
02-25-2017, 07:53 PM
It's definitely possible without RMT or exploits, but not an easy thing to do and would take time.

First: Acquire a high-level item somehow (either farm a fungi or just farm or tunnelquest until you are rich).

After that, there's a few methods:
1. Buy several high-demand items that are chargable and useful (like the bind clicky or puppet strings). Sell charges of them
2. Buy high-end items low, re-sell them.
3. Hoard items that drop before they no longer drop (i.e. seaworthy planks, pre-nerf circlet of shadow, holgresh beads) on as many chars as you can, wait a while, sell them.

If someone has been doing it for 7 years, it's definitely possible. Obviously not easy, but not impossible.

But, most likely, it was a guild bank.

mefdinkins
02-25-2017, 08:09 PM
this is probably the same guy that offers 150 plat when I'm just trying to sell a god damn Robe of the Oracle for 200p and leave EC

Tupakk
02-25-2017, 08:12 PM
After we found how how many members we had in our guild we also wondered who holds the record for he highest amount of plat.

I make a petition every once in a while but I have yet to get a response.

Baler
02-25-2017, 09:20 PM
..also wondered who holds the record for he highest amount of plat.

I make a petition every once in a while but I have yet to get a response.

You make petitions asking the staff for other player's private information?
That's weird dude.

Transylvania
02-25-2017, 10:27 PM
WTB 50 Fungus Covered Great Staffs

Topgunben
02-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Poop socks. That's how.

Swish
02-25-2017, 11:48 PM
There's more to EQ than numbers on a screen.

indiscriminate_hater
02-26-2017, 12:12 AM

there's also pixels, don't forget those

Lhancelot
02-26-2017, 01:03 AM

That's right. Good point Swish! I tried to explain to a buddy of mine why I spent plats collecting rubicite armor and stuck it on my trader and he simply doesn't get it. To him it's a complete waste of plats, whereas for me it's fun!

I enjoy the artistic aspects to the game and really appreciate not just fashionquest but things like the sunrises in the game and other details that some people probably couldn't care less about.

I don't feel that people who love the numbers side of EQ are wrong. Everyone has the right to enjoy whatever they want on the game which is what makes it appeal to so many different types of people.

skarlorn
02-26-2017, 01:13 AM
you don't need 50 million plat to be rich in EQ

you just need a puppet strings or two

then you have an estate of wealth that provides income whenever you work it, or when you hire out your strings as recharge.

i've been accruing interest for a year now (thanks djones <3)

Pokesan
02-26-2017, 01:43 AM
Tupakk please stop bothering GMs with pointless petitions u weirdo

Jimjam
02-26-2017, 02:51 AM
If there are some rare items you are hoping to acquire for your next line of alts, having a certain amount of platinum available could be useful.

That said, some people are just horders.

Gumbo
02-26-2017, 02:53 AM

No pictures or it didn't happen...

I can see someone having a few hundred thousands to maybe over a million but 50 million platinum? This would be close to impossible since banned items like the Manastone sells for 250K. This would mean the player would have to sold 200 Manastones just to make 50 million...

coki
02-26-2017, 12:42 PM
No pictures or it didn't happen...

I can see someone having a few hundred thousands to maybe over a million but 50 million platinum? This would be close to impossible since banned items like the Manastone sells for 250K. This would mean the player would have to sold 200 Manastones just to make 50 million...

You don't understand, there are LOTS of people and guild banks with over 5 mill plat, so 50 is possible within 7 years, also back in the day you could sell accounts for plat, and there might have been people duping items ( not confirmed ) but p99 security/antih4x was looser back in the beginning

Dreenk317
02-26-2017, 01:20 PM
You don't understand, there are LOTS of people and guild banks with over 5 mill plat, so 50 is possible within 7 years, also back in the day you could sell accounts for plat, and there might have been people duping items ( not confirmed ) but p99 security/antih4x was looser back in the beginning

There was also a bug that allowed the duping of plat at the start. Literally millions of plat was duped onto this server at the beginning. They did there best to ban the offenders and remove the plat. But that wasn't before millions of it got into the economy.

Baler
02-26-2017, 01:32 PM
But that wasn't before millions of it got into the economy.

um... if the total plat count in the database went up by millions. I'm sure they did something to counteract that. It's not like they just left an extra 50million plat in the system.

The bugs/sploits I was refering to had to do with spawns and item drop rates. One Example:
Did you know that you could obtain a particular item (worth 2k atm) back in the day on p99 by guaranteed forcing a mob to spawn?
There is even a post on these forums talking about it. Which is how I discovered it. To the best of my knowledge none of that item was ever removed from the system.

or the infamous tradeskill sploit..

Oh man someone lay the rug back down. :eek:

B4EQWASCOOL
02-26-2017, 01:38 PM
The better question would be, why?

poor IRL so they compensate in vidya games

Dreenk317
02-26-2017, 07:24 PM
um... if the total plat count in the database went up by millions. I'm sure they did something to counteract that. It's not like they just left an extra 50million plat in the system.

The bugs/sploits I was refering to had to do with spawns and item drop rates. One Example:
Did you know that you could obtain a particular item (worth 2k atm) back in the day on p99 by guaranteed forcing a mob to spawn?
There is even a post on these forums talking about it. Which is how I discovered it. To the best of my knowledge none of that item was ever removed from the system.

or the infamous tradeskill sploit..

Oh man someone lay the rug back down. :eek:

You also used to be able to spawn faydedar multiple times a day (the real one), which lead to lots of dragon loot being easily obtained. And it's kind of hard to remove the plat from the economy baler. If someone all the sudden gets a million plat and it's clear he duped it, then ya it was removed. But if he bought a bunch of things with it. And then those people that sold to him bought a bunch of things, etc, etc. Then that plat is now removed 2/3/4/99x from the duper. And it becomes a complicated process to follow the coins and remove them. Especially when you are removing them from the inventory of a player that did nothing wrong. He merely sold an item, legitimately, and was paid with non-legit Plat. Just saying, I doubt they were able to remove all the duped plat from the economy.

jolanar
02-26-2017, 07:33 PM
I once had a bunch of super expensive items removed from my char on live, with the excuse that they were duped. I had no idea I just bought them in the bazaar. They did not give me the plat I spent on them back either.

Yup. That's when I quit live.

Gumbo
02-27-2017, 12:39 AM

Like I said before... Photo image or it didn't happen...

I want to see a "real" P99 account of someones bank account showing at least 5 million platinum.

Jmcwrestling
02-27-2017, 09:31 AM
If people don't ruin the spawns in HS South , there's a lot of Plat to be made pumping out Fingerbone hoops !

coki
03-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Like I said before... Photo image or it didn't happen...

I want to see a "real" P99 account of someones bank account showing at least 5 million platinum.

just ask in EC tunnel for someone to show you 5 mil, prolly take less then 30 mins

Tecmos Deception
03-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Offering services such as power leveling over an extended period of time.

At 3,000pp/hr, you'd have had to PL for 8 hours per day for the entire life of the server to make 50 million. Lol :)

Trading high-end items for a long time (including stuff like fungus staff and whatnot, not just cloaks of flames and fungi tunics) and being involved in account and red-blue trading back when those things were permitted is probably the only way a single player could legitimately have made that much plat.

Swish
03-02-2017, 11:11 PM
At 3,000pp/hr, you'd have had to PL for 8 hours per day for the entire life of the server to make 50 million. Lol :)

Trading high-end items for a long time (including stuff like fungus staff and whatnot, not just cloaks of flames and fungi tunics) and being involved in account and red-blue trading back when those things were permitted is probably the only way a single player could legitimately have made that much plat.

Hagglebaron's escrow services to ensure a safe passing of accounts between seller and buyer. That's where it was at. Free plat for 2 minutes work :p

Lowako
03-03-2017, 12:02 AM

You can make 3k/hr solo, but duoing is where the real money is at. Duoing something like the demon fangs cycle can net like 35k plat in about 2 hours. Duoing brother qwinn/zephyl takes roughly 30 minutes and you can sell that robe MQ for a pretty decent price (10k maybe?). A lot of people have duoed fungi king for plat as well which can be very profitable. Getting a king every 6 hours isn't too unreasonable which would net you about 10k/hr back when tunics sold for 60-70k. I think you can duo a lot of the cleric epic with relative ease as well. Obviously you'd have to split the money but people who duo together often pooling their money isn't unheard of.

If you consider that duoing can be much more efficient than soloing, plus some smart investments(elder beads bought at 20k when they still dropped would net 80k-100k profit per), its not entirely unreasonable for a single person to generate 50 mil plat over the life of the server. This doesn't even consider red->blue plat and account sales. It requires a grotesque amount of play time, and can be made easier by selling certain raid items and keeping all the profit (barb skin legs for 800k, AoNs for 300k, etc), but is certainly feasible.