PDA

View Full Version : The Secret of Quillmane

mitic
02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
2 Triggers:

.) 1 elephant calf a bit east of the aviak-tree (within line of sight), spawns every ~45 seconds in a small area
.) 1 lioness (spawns faster than the calf ~15 seconds), doesnt have a fixed spawn-point and spawns all around the aviak-tree area (need tracker for this one)

spawn-areas of quillmane:

1.) a bit south of hermit house

2.) far west wall coming from aviak city

3.) on the plateau north of centaur-village

so, now you got the info but dont think u would get a cloak within a minute knowing this. it can and in most cases will take you some hours since quillmane has a very low chance to pop once trigger is killed, other farmers in zone hunting her too and cloak being her rare drop.

on a personal note:

if you still dont like camping this horse by your own and want professional help by
.) someone who spent endless hours on this camp already
.) someone with the longest trackrange in game
.) someone having bow n'arrows with a total range of 350, able to snag the horse on sight and locking it down before anyone else does,

then here i am.

see more in my specific thread (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24985)

+ i can also vouch for Greenrangers service, found here (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12280)

Gandite
02-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Pretty cool to post the infos Mitic. I knew about this when I got my cloak but a super nice ranger named Dwarin got mine and a mate's for free.

With the spawn info we got two cloaks in less than half an hour. However it breaks my heart to see people asking 5k for a cloak. Even Greenranger used to ask for a modest 500p. What happened to that?

mitic
02-03-2011, 08:44 AM
However it breaks my heart to see people asking 5k for a cloak.

my penultimate customer got his cloak on first quillmane within 5 mins after we zoned into southkarana.

my last customer doesnt have it yet after ~15 quillmanes and ~9 hours total camping southkarana.

does this clarify your question?

i realy dont care if other people are coming out of their caves now asking less since most of them will burn out pretty fast as soon they have their first bad runs.

Rasah
02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
my last customer doesnt have it yet after ~15 quillmanes and ~9 hours total camping southkarana.

I spent a lot of time in SK through my 20's and 30's, and I stumbled across Quillmane 3 times at random. Sad to say, all of my caster alts have Feathered leggings...

Kimmie
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Mitic, you are a doll.

Lazortag
02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
If this is true, this is definitely not how it spawned on Live. I think there was a thread showing exactly how it was supposed to spawn.

oldhead
02-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I dont mind your services and what you charge (I would use greenranger tho)

I do mind you advertising in the general forums. Should be kept to ECT.

Gandite
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
If this is true, this is definitely not how it spawned on Live. I think there was a thread showing exactly how it was supposed to spawn.

They changed the spawn from what it was when the server first started. I remember because at the time I was leveling in SK at the time.

mitic
02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
I dont mind your services and what you charge (I would use greenranger tho)

I do mind you advertising in the general forums. Should be kept to ECT.

why? my info is for free

searchin for arguments for the sake of arguments? geez

DevonG
02-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Actually it's almost EXACTLY how it spawned on live, if not totally.

These mobs eventually path up toward the southpaw hills, so if you want to do it the easy way, you can hang out there and kill any lioness or elephant calf that paths rather explicitly to the north/south (not much east/west movement). Just like on the allas forums and stuff. These guys do it the quick way, holding down PH's at the source.

guineapig
02-03-2011, 02:50 PM
There are many threads about this on the forums and there are some similarities to live along with a few differences as well. If you look for the map that Reiker posted a while back you will notice that there is a definite difference between the spawn here and the one on live which will force you to slightly modify your search pattern.

Dwarin also helped me get my cloak a while back. I was lucky enough to get the cloak on the first kill. I have yet to test my luck by trying to get the cloak for another character yet. While having a ranger along isn't vital it does make it a hell of a lot easier, not only because of the bow range but also due to the much improved tracking. Quillmane has a pretty good chance of popping nowhere near your line of site when you kill the trigger mob and it's can often be out of bard track range as well..

Maurk
02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Doing a figure 8 around the map, passing Aviaks, hermits, Paw and Centaurs.
Kill all Lionesses and Elephant calfs in your path.
You will spawn Quillmane no doubt.
I've for the lulz spawned quillmane like 6 times while waiting for a grimrot camp.
I've Farmed about 3 cloaks for friends here, and it's really not all that hard of a camp in comparison to others. (and I did this as a Paladin)
Good ol abacab taught me the quillmane secret after farming like 6 cloaks for random ppl in EC.
the guy spawned approx 13 quillmanes in 2hrs doing what I described.

Great post Mitic!

DevGrousis
02-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Actually it's almost EXACTLY how it spawned on live, if not totally.

These mobs eventually path up toward the southpaw hills, so if you want to do it the easy way, you can hang out there and kill any lioness or elephant calf that paths rather explicitly to the north/south (not much east/west movement). Just like on the allas forums and stuff. These guys do it the quick way, holding down PH's at the source.

DEVON G?? what is your last name!?

sorry for post hijack. for obvious reasons, this has tripped me out :D

Massive Marc
02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
LOL. durpabiscuit and greenranger are going to be pissed.

mitic
02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
LOL. durpabiscuit and greenranger are going to be pissed.

some trolls thought they can be smart, but iam actually smarter. and it isnt really a big deal for me (and id guess neither for greenranger) sharing this open secret

people will still need a tracker for the lioness and, oh wait, i forgot to mention some other pop places! ;)

Massive Marc
02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
some trolls thought they can be smart, but iam actually smarter. and it isnt really a big deal for me (and id guess neither for greenranger) sharing this open secret

people will still need a tracker for the lioness and, oh wait, i forgot to mention some other pop places! ;)

Would it be the same locations Salty had in his post tucked away in the Resolved Issues forums ?

Scrooge
02-03-2011, 05:59 PM
why? my info is for free

That's always a troll's sole reason to post.

Thanks for posting this info, Mitic!

captainspauldin
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
microsoft (cloak) just drop 10 points.

/jumps out window clutching desperatly to my new free cloak. /click /click cmon cmon /click omggg

Mardur
02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I totally remember teaching a young Mitic this spawn a short time ago. Mitic was not a fast learner.

GreenRanger
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
why would i be pissed? its common knowledge..

Massive Marc
02-03-2011, 06:41 PM
why would i be pissed? its common knowledge..

Yes it so common, that someone had to make a thread "The Secret of Quillmane"

Bruno
02-03-2011, 06:48 PM
It's not a secret, it's just information that isn't commonly shared so others can capitalize on it, just like the price guide for items. A lot of people don't know about that so people flipping can try sell OP items.

People can find anything with google.

JayDee
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM

True, walkthrough on live is way different and not as easy to manipulate.

SlankyLanky
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
rangers gonna be hating on this shit.

cole229
02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Mardur - come back to me!

Jenni D
02-03-2011, 10:25 PM
what Green said :)

Salty
02-04-2011, 08:41 AM
The Quil spawn was changed on 3 separate occasions here.

Farmed about 8 of them for pals.

iamjacksrage
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
haha yeah now they are just going to change it again

Versus
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Hiring any ranger whatsoever....500p for your time ;(

I'm broke and this monks gotta levitate!

oldhead
02-04-2011, 05:43 PM
why? my info is for free

That's always a troll's sole reason to post.

Thanks for posting this info, Mitic!

Oh! how trolling is so over used on the internet.
Disagree with someone... they must be trolling.
Get proven wrong... oh I trolled you.
Act like a jerk... say your trolling to save face.

I was just stating that as I see it, this thread is nothing but an attempt to promote the sale of your service as such it should be kept in the ETC forum.

Nothing wrong with the service or how much is charged. I got my own cloak on this server. I'd be happy to pay for an alt to save me the effort. Same with the jboots. Glad thats multiquestable now too.

mitic
02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
oldhead u proved nothing else than trolling once again and gratz on your name choice, fits 100%

my information is free for everyone and it does not belong in ec tunnel, hence i gona bump this on page one again in one or two weeks so everyone can take the same advantage out of it, with or without me, i dont care.

ps: iamjacksrage much of <3 to you my friend.

Hobby
02-04-2011, 09:14 PM
We wont change it again. It has been this way since...well as far as i can remember which is over a year

oldhead
02-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I stand by my observations. You are advertising your service in server chat forum. You are also being defensive, insulting, and shady about it. I would imagine the entire point of your post is to bring more sales than to help anyone understand the spawns.

I'll state it again as plainly as I can. It is this quoted section below that should be in the ECT forum.

on a personal note:

if you still dont like camping this horse by your own and want professional help by
.) someone who spent endless hours on this camp already
.) someone with the longest trackrange in game
.) someone having bow n'arrows with a total range of 350, able to snag the horse on sight and locking it down before anyone else does,

then here i am.

see more in my specific thread (http://www.project1999.org)

Versus
02-05-2011, 03:47 PM
On an unrelated note to you all bitching...

Thanks Mitic, trying to get a cloak right now with a bard buddy :P

Yinaltin
02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I stand by my observations. You are advertising your service in server chat forum. You are also being defensive, insulting, and shady about it.

you sir , are a douche ..

DevonG
02-06-2011, 02:43 AM
DEVON G?? what is your last name!?

sorry for post hijack. for obvious reasons, this has tripped me out :D

secrets.

Versus
02-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Got my cloak today using Mitic's explanation and a little help from him in /t's today. It was kind of a pain and you DEFINITELY need a partner with track, obviously. Luckily a druid in my guild came an helped me out.

Got cloak on 2nd Quill spawn. Thank you again, Mitic.

oldhead
02-06-2011, 04:18 AM
you sir , are a douche ..

Got anything to back that up?

Yinaltin
02-06-2011, 08:21 AM
yeah . i dont like how you handle the discussion and you are insulting without any need . sou you fit perfect into the description of a douchebag .

oldhead
02-06-2011, 02:40 PM
yeah . i dont like how you handle the discussion and you are insulting without any need . sou you fit perfect into the description of a douchebag .

:rolleyes:

YendorLootmonkey
02-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Here, Mitic... I made you a better sig pic:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8310/mitic.jpg

mitic
02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
omg haha! i take

Nedala
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM
This is awesome :D

Maxium
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
yeah, very helpful

Messianic
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Here, Mitic... I made you a better sig pic:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8310/mitic.jpg

LOL

hangtime harry
08-17-2011, 10:06 PM
does this still work?

Rieve
08-17-2011, 10:06 PM
yes

Verenity
08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Hai Rusl, track me a cloak? kthxbye

Bruman
08-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Hai Rusl, track me a cloak? kthxbye

Pft, get back in line. I was next on the list.

bakkily
08-18-2011, 05:53 AM
secret, find if someone else is doing it, and track kill it your self, many times i've done this for friends/my char

Malrubius
02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Thread rez in progress...

.) 1 elephant calf a bit east of the aviak-tree (within line of sight), spawns every ~45 seconds in a small area
.) 1 lioness (spawns faster than the calf ~15 seconds), doesnt have a fixed spawn-point and spawns all around the aviak-tree area (need tracker for this one)

Can someone define "aviak-tree"? Is this the main giant tree with the ramp up to the top? Or is it one of the lone trees with a hut at the top that is to the East and the West?

falkun
02-08-2012, 11:26 AM
"aviak tree" AKA "KFC".

Malrubius
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
"aviak tree" AKA "KFC".

Cool. I always thought of KFC as just the general area of the Aviak city. But I see what was meant by "aviak tree" now, thanks.

bamzal
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
^ yeah, you sure you understand now?

Malrubius
02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
^ yeah, you sure you understand now?

Oh yeah, I understand all sorts of things now.

PureEnergy
02-14-2012, 02:45 AM
HOooooooly crap, good luck getting a job with that mug.
-----------------)>http://www.project1999.org/forums/image.php?u=11778&dateline=1320294628<(-----------------

Something'Witty
04-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Hey all,

I have several questions about this method of camping quillmane, but first a little backstory on my attempts to camp the dumb flying horse. So my wife and I tried camping it with me on my monk (killing the calf PH) and my wife on her druid for tracking purposes. We first checked the zone for Quillmane, and it wasn't up. We then isolated the calf PH at the Loc listed and proceeded to kill it every ~45 seconds until it didn't spawn (which took about an hour or so), then my wife ran out into the zone and tracked Quillmane down and killed it (no cloak). After that we set back up killing the calf PH and were confident that we had the cycle figured out. However, about an hour later, the only other person in the zone said they just saw Quillmane by splitpaw (they were camping the gnolls). This confused us since we were still killing calf PHers and as far as we knew, no one was killing lioness' in zone. My wife ran out to track, and sure enough Quillmane was up (no cloak). This time she made sure to check track after Quillmane died and indeed a Lioness spawned right afterwards. We weren't 100% on the timing of said Lioness spawning, but we felt confident that it was the PH and we went back to killing the calf PH. A little while later, this time with no one else in zone, my wife spotted Quillmane on track, again with calf PHers still spawning. Alas, still no cloak. After that, we gave up for the night and I figured I would trying and find some more info.

TLDR - My questions are:

1) Does the lioness PH despawn or are there NPC's in zone that might kill it?

2) Can multiple (i.e., two) Quillmanes be up at the same time? I figure the answer is no, but EQ has surprised me before.

3) I assume that the calf PH and the Lioness PH are not linked, except that either has a chance of spawning Quillmane upon repop. Is this correct?

4) We are also assuming that the three spawn points / paths for Quillmane are not linked to what PH you are killing. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because the Quillmane that spawned from us killing the calf spawned in the east, and the other two that must have been linked to the lioness PH spawned in the west.

5) Finally, does anyone know of a location where a druid can track Quillmane on all three paths that it takes through the zone, or is maxed druid track just not able to see out far enough?

Any information you can provided would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Back in the day my father-in-law said the worst part of getting his mage's epic was camping Quillmane since he had no way to track. He always thought there had to be some kind of method to get it to spawn more reliably, I figured there was just a set probability of it spawning upon the death of any mob. I guess he was right!

Thulack
04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
1.) No as far as i know.
2.)No
3.) Not really sure. ive gotten Quill from both.
4.)Not linked
5.) Druid not able to track all 3 spots at once from what i know.

Ele
04-29-2013, 04:51 PM
TLDR - My questions are:

1) Does the lioness PH despawn or are there NPC's in zone that might kill it?

No. Shouldn't worry about lioness unless it is a target of opportunity. Focus on the elephant calf.

2) Can multiple (i.e., two) Quillmanes be up at the same time? I figure the answer is no, but EQ has surprised me before.

Not that I know.

3) I assume that the calf PH and the Lioness PH are not linked, except that either has a chance of spawning Quillmane upon repop. Is this correct?

Not linked, you are correct.

4) We are also assuming that the three spawn points / paths for Quillmane are not linked to what PH you are killing. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because the Quillmane that spawned from us killing the calf spawned in the east, and the other two that must have been linked to the lioness PH spawned in the west.

Correct. Either PH can spawn a QM at any of the three spots.

5) Finally, does anyone know of a location where a druid can track Quillmane on all three paths that it takes through the zone, or is maxed druid track just not able to see out far enough?

One person on PHs and one tracker are going to have a heck of a time keeping up with the watch. A druid and even ranger for that matter will have to keep running the entire time up and down the pathing lanes as seen on the map here (http://wiki.project1999.org/Quillmane).

By far the easiest way to camp Quillmane is to get at least 4 people, camp 1 at each spawn point, as identified in the link above, and one person on the PHs. Keep killing PHs until QM spawn, then hold the next PH that spawns until QM is dead. Once QM is dead resuming killing the PH. Unless you have a fifth person, don't mess with the lioness, just kill the elephant calf and sit on his spawn point.

Stinkum
04-29-2013, 04:56 PM
^ Wow that is completely wrong information. The lioness is extremely essential to triggering QM.

Something'Witty
04-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Thank you all for the input! It is greatly appreciated.

Something'Witty
04-29-2013, 05:02 PM
^ Wow that is completely wrong information. The lioness is extremely essential to triggering QM.

Are you saying the entire "The Secret of Quillmane" method is wrong or just needs to be adjusted? As Johnny Five said, need input!

Stinkum
04-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Are you saying the entire "The Secret of Quillmane" method is wrong or just needs to be adjusted? As Johnny Five said, need input!

No, that's not what I am saying. What I am saying that whatever B.S. Ele said about the lioness not being important is a troll. The lioness is a confirmed PH for QM and essential to triggering her spawning.

Thulack
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
No, that's not what I am saying. What I am saying that whatever B.S. Ele said about the lioness not being important is a troll. The lioness is a confirmed PH for QM and essential to triggering her spawning.

You are the wrong one sir. You can camp QM without ever killing 1 lioness.

Stinkum
04-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Sure. If you want to intentionally be extremely inefficient at spawning QM, then don't kill the lioness.

Lioness is a PH for QM, and the most efficient way to trigger her spawn is killing both the lioness and the calf.

That's how EQ works.

Thana8088
04-29-2013, 05:23 PM
You are the wrong one sir. You can camp QM without ever killing 1 lioness.

Agreed. Have done so several times.

Thulack
04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Sure. If you want to intentionally be extremely inefficient at spawning QM, then don't kill the lioness.

Lioness is a PH for QM, and the most efficient way to trigger her spawn is killing both the lioness and the calf.

That's how EQ works.

Tracking the lioness down to start wastes more time then anything. Yes if you want to have one person running back and forth from lioness to calf spawn over and over to spawn sure its more effective. When your solo camping Quillmane or have 1 person that is semi afk killing calf its just easier that way.

zanderklocke
04-29-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't like to say I'm the Quillmane master, but I've farmed about 60 some cloaks, and killed Quillmane 200+ times.

Both the lioness and calf placeholder has a 20% chance to spawn Quillmane upon death, and Quillmane has the same probability to spawn at each of the spawn points.

If you want advice on how to know exactly which mobs are the placeholders with 100% accuracy, send me a personal message.

Personal advice/method is have someone killing placeholders and another person running her routes. Before running routes, I usually have the runner kill 5-8 lionesses before they start running the routes. Other person just keeps calf down the whole time.

Stinkum
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Tracking the lioness down to start wastes more time then anything. Yes if you want to have one person running back and forth from lioness to calf spawn over and over to spawn sure its more effective. When your solo camping Quillmane or have 1 person that is semi afk killing calf its just easier that way.

If you're trying to solo QM then you're screwed anyway..

If you solo then I guarantee people will be ganking QM from behind your back while you sit there like a sucker killing PHs to trigger her spawn.

Five hours later after you have 14 feathered leggings you'll start to wonder whether you just have shitty luck or some jackass stole the one QM carrying a cloak from you and bolted before you even knew it.

joppykid
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Still waiting for you to let me pay you for one Zander!!!

zanderklocke
04-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Still waiting for you to let me pay you for one Zander!!!

I got 2.5 weeks left in the semester (crunch time), and then I will be willing to do Quillmane 24/7 again for a month straight, still at 4K, still the cheapest price on server. :)

Ele
04-29-2013, 05:49 PM

I've looted a half dozen cloaks with never killing the lioness.

joppykid
04-29-2013, 05:50 PM
I got 2.5 weeks left in the semester (crunch time), and then I will be willing to do Quillmane 24/7 again for a month straight, still at 4K, still the cheapest price on server. :)

That's what I am talking about! I'll look for the bumpage of your EC thread ;P

Ele
04-29-2013, 05:58 PM

That's how EQ works.

If you have a fifth wheel that can take the time to hunt the lioness down, sure, but we're going for ezmode with 4 people. elephant calf spawns at the same spot meaning you don't have to move and get a PH every 45 seconds. hunting lioness requires someone to move around KFC to kill it, most likely meaning that elephant will have already respawned and started roaming by the time you get back to it.

Stinkum
04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I've looted a half dozen cloaks with never killing the lioness.

Only half a dozen?

hunting lioness requires someone to move around KFC to kill it, most likely meaning that elephant will have already respawned and started roaming by the time you get back to it.

You're doing it wrong. If you have four people:

1 person parked on calf
1 person roaming KFC to Paw for lioness (preferably tracker but doesnt need to be)
1 person ping ponging from hermit to cent huts tracking QM
1 person at SW corner where QM can potentially spawn

Using this method I have reliably spawned QM once every 5-10 minutes.

Ele
04-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Only half a dozen?

1 person parked on calf
1 person roaming KFC to Paw for lioness (preferably tracker but doesnt need to be)

Too much work. lol

maximum
04-29-2013, 06:16 PM

1 person parked on calf

QFT. The lionness can be the trigger, but it seems to be a rarity. Calf is way more important to watch, but lionness can cause a missed spawn.

zanderklocke
04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
QFT. The lionness can be the trigger, but it seems to be a rarity. Calf is way more important to watch, but lionness can cause a missed spawn.

From the EQEmu coding I have seen after researching Quillmane, both calf and lioness have same probability to spawn Quillmane. So rareness based on spawning or not spawning Quillmane is strictly the random number generator. Fastest sure way to spawn Quillmane is keeping both placeholders locked down as this creates twice as many random chances for Quillmane to pop.

However, obviously keeping both placeholders down takes more work/people which is a trade off for number of people on spawn points/tracking near spawn points. Hypothetically, best possible situation is 3 people on the spawn points and 2 people killing placeholders, but this usually isn't feasible/is overboard.

Karafa
04-29-2013, 07:03 PM
A ranger or druid, or anything for that matter can lock down both the lioness and calf at the same time. Have a bard run the routes at lightning speed checking for the spawn, ez pz; have never been in SK for more than 2-3 hours looking for a cloak for alts/friends.

Something'Witty
07-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Question: Does the Calf or Lioness PH respawn if Quillmane is up?

I got my cloak awhile ago camping the calf, and I don't think the calf respawned while Quillmane was up. However, a friend wanted to camp Quillmane last night and he was under the impression that you need two people to do it, one to kill the PH and one to track Quillmane, because the calf does respawn even if Quillmane and the Lioness are both up. Asking around we received three conflicting responses:

1) Yes, the calf PH will always respawn even if Quillmane and the loiness are up.

2) No, once Quillmane spawns from killing the calf PH (and the lioness PH is still up), the calf PH will not respawn.

3) The calf PH will skip a spawn when Quillmane pops, but then respawn at the normal spot ~90 secs after Quillmanes spawn time.

My money is on #2, but I decided to crowd source the official answer.

Thulack
07-03-2013, 02:58 PM

I got my cloak awhile ago camping the calf, and I don't think the calf respawned while Quillmane was up. However, a friend wanted to camp Quillmane last night and he was under the impression that you need two people to do it, one to kill the PH and one to track Quillmane, because the calf does respawn even if Quillmane and the Lioness are both up. Asking around we received three conflicting responses:

1) Yes, the calf PH will always respawn even if Quillmane and the loiness are up.

2) No, once Quillmane spawns from killing the calf PH (and the lioness PH is still up), the calf PH will not respawn.

3) The calf PH will skip a spawn when Quillmane pops, but then respawn at the normal spot ~90 secs after Quillmanes spawn time.

Ele
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM

1, just aggro the calf but wait to kill it until QM is dead.

zanderklocke
07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I can verify number 1.

Something'Witty
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Good deal, thanks for the info.

holeHeartless
07-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I know it's nearly completely unrelated but i really like your Sig. haha =) Well done. Did you do it yourself?

Nerosys
07-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Last time i farmed the cloak i got it on my 11 th quillmane anyone willing to farm this for 5k is a saint

Raavak
07-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Spawn points are random now? Is this guide worthless now?

Stinkum
07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Spawn points are random now? Is this guide worthless now?

Spawn points of what? Quillmane or the PHs?

QM still has the same 3 spawn points, but the elephant calf placeholder is now random.

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Lioness has always been random. Since when is calf random? There a link to this information?

Nirgon
07-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah this wasn't classic at all

But at least now you know which mob is the PH rather than clearing all of karana with a mage pet

It may have been the case on live that any mob had a chance of triggering a quill mane spawn, albeit a very low one

Can't say for sure! But quill popping at all was rare as shit compared to here (obviously with this method)

Thulack
07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah this wasn't classic at all

But at least now you know which mob is the PH rather than clearing all of karana with a mage pet

The whole mechanic here for spawning quill isnt classic compared to live. on live you find the 45 sec mob and thats the Pher just have to kill over and over and its a random creature type not always a calf or Lioness. The spawning system here is just whatever they came up with for some reason.

Stinkum
07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Lioness has always been random. Since when is calf random? There a link to this information?

Lioness has always been random and still is.

The change was to the elephant calf. The calf is now zonewide, random, roaming spawn. Check the patch notes.

Combine this with the nerf to Tracking skill.. and I'd rather camp 3 Rasters than one Peggy cloak.

Raavak
07-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Hmmm this isn't classic either, is it? It seems he'd be too rare.

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Welp, guess I may not be doing Quillmane cloaks for people for 4K anymore. Ha

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Still can't find anything in patch notes about Quillmane calf. Can someone link me the info/quote and bold it. I'm probably looking in the wrong spot.

Thulack
07-16-2013, 12:45 PM
This is how Quill should work:

http://home.comcast.net/~echelonforester/quillmane2.htm

Stinkum
07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
You know how easy it was to get QM to spawn with the previous static calf spawn? And it still took hours and hours sometimes to get a cloak to drop, and you had to watch out for people constantly sniping QM from you.

Now, imagine how hard it is to trigger QM now. But she still drops the cloak at the same shitty rate.. And people will snipe her even MORE than they used to.

I wouldn't camp a Peggy Cloak for 100k.

Raavak
07-16-2013, 12:49 PM
With ranger track broken (from what I hear) its basically impossible to farm this atm anyway.

texwilly
This is why the mage epic used to be extraordinarily difficult.

Stinkum
One of the placeholders was always spawning in the same location. I was looking into it at the time and determined that was error which I failed to post in the changelog while testing.

I just confirmed they both do spawn, and path. All that changed with the patch was ensuring random spawn location of the placeholders.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1029341&postcount=4

Lagaidh
07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
I am so glad I got X to help me ages ago. It was quite fun. Even the way it formerly spawned, I thought 4k was a steal for something I never did get in live.

Thulack
07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Still can't find anything in patch notes about Quillmane calf. Can someone link me the info/quote and bold it. I'm probably looking in the wrong spot.

If you goto bug forum there is a post there about it where nilbog comments. it wasnt in patch notes.

Stinkum
07-16-2013, 12:52 PM
If you goto bug forum there is a post there about it where nilbog comments. it wasnt in patch notes.

I linked it on the previous page.

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Lioness is extremely predictable even without great track as bard. Although its spawns are random, it walks in the same paths...there are maybe 4-6 paths of it. Still farming a cloak based on lioness would be a pain in ass. Only Druid, bard, or ranger could do this remotely feasible.

nilbog
07-16-2013, 12:57 PM
The calf is now zonewide, random, roaming spawn.

Calf is not zonewide.

The whole mechanic here for spawning quill isnt classic compared to live. on live you find the 45 sec mob and thats the Pher just have to kill over and over and its a random creature type not always a calf or Lioness. The spawning system here is just whatever they came up with for some reason.

I guess when I quit playing it wasn't that known on my server. How do you know this is classic? http://home.comcast.net/~echelonforester/quillmane2.htm

Stinkum
07-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Calf is not zonewide.

Thanks for the correction.

Edit: Then maybe the calf has the same spawn area and pathing as the lioness now..

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 01:06 PM
And it still took hours and hours sometimes to get a cloak to drop, and you had to watch out for people constantly sniping QM from you.

I hear ya. Last week, I was going to help a warrior from FE do Quillmane and when I went to go track the spawn paths of Quillmane, a member of IB was on each spawn point since they knew the FE warrior was killing the calf over and over. Like really?

Waedawen
07-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Wow I can't believe someone actually post this on the forums

Actually, I can, because Mitic is a faggot

"keeper of the secret of quillmane" only an aspie would think it was an actual secret.

Get your cloak in 2009 and never go back to South Karana again, buddy. You're no Greenranger.

Waedawen
07-16-2013, 03:16 PM
I hear ya. Last week, I was going to help a warrior from FE do Quillmane and when I went to go track the spawn paths of Quillmane, a member of IB was on each spawn point since they knew the FE warrior was killing the calf over and over. Like really?

And that's why you don't make a forum post about trade secrets.

Jesus christ.

kaev
07-16-2013, 03:42 PM
And that's why you don't make a forum post about trade secrets.

Jesus christ.

Ah yes, one must always assume the server is full of douchebags. If you don't assume that everybody else is a douche, then it's your fault for falling victim to their douchery. Best to train all the bastards first, then go get what you want, then train 'em again. Because you have to assume that they're douches you see, and take appropriate pre-emptive action at all times lest you fall victim to them.

Also, why are you praying about this? You think Jesus will save you from those whose douchery is crueler and more clever than yours?

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Heh, I think Mitic quit playing on blue before I even started playing on this server. I think it's good that the information of how to do Quillmane is out to the public; most people don't even have the patience to farm a cloak with the information of how it works.

Best bet I think is for guilds to do Quillmane events and just camp all the spawn points and have bards/rangers on the placeholders. Depending on how easy the camp is now with the now random calf, I may not sell cloaks anymore or I might raise my prices.

By the way and off topic, I feel like I read somewhere that the original Greenranger (the Quillmane master) was a character that got in trouble/deleveled for using MacroQuest. Is this true? If it is, there's no wonder why he could sell cloaks so cheap and get such a good cloak reputation.

Thulack
07-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Calf is not zonewide.

I guess when I quit playing it wasn't that known on my server. How do you know this is classic? http://home.comcast.net/~echelonforester/quillmane2.htm

Honestly i cant say its classic. I know i used that guide starting in PoP to hunt quill for myself and others and gotten well over 100 cloak on live using it. I can try and do some digging to prove it.

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Honestly i cant say its classic. I know i used that guide starting in PoP to hunt quill for myself and others and gotten well over 100 cloak on live using it. I can try and do some digging to prove it.

Heh in your link they even have a screenshot of the Fabled Quillmane on that webpage. So that website had to be made after whenever the Fabled Quillmane came out...no idea when that was?

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21138

Here there seems to be some code that is made trying to get Quillmane closer to its Classic Live spawn cycle. I'm not an expert at reading code, so maybe someone else could make more sense of this.

Indicates both triggers have 15% chance to spawn Quillmane; I previously thought it was 20%. Quillmane then has a chance to spawn at one of the three random locations.

Alorae
07-16-2013, 05:06 PM
zander I wtb quillmane hunt pst!

Stinkum
07-16-2013, 05:20 PM

I would never accuse or get mad at someone for sniping a QM I triggered, but trust me, there's a lot of gankers out there. As a general rule, for every person that you actually catch ganking your Quillmanes, there's always many others who you don't know about who are doing it more discretely.

Now that QM is significantly harder to spawn, it just means it will be even shittier when ganking does happen, and that even more people will be gunning to snipe her since she's so rare.

Too much time, stress, and effort for me.

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I would never accuse or get mad at someone for sniping a QM I triggered, but trust me, there's a lot of gankers out there. As a general rule, for every person that you actually catch ganking your Quillmanes, there's always many others who you don't know about who are doing it more discretely.

Now that QM is significantly harder to spawn, it just means it will be even shittier when ganking does happen, and that even more people will be gunning to snipe her since she's so rare.

Too much time, stress, and effort for me.

Probably true that I am not realizing that people ganked her. I don't care so much that someone saw her up and killed her with FTE, that's fair. I do get annoyed when someone lies to me saying they aren't interested in Quillmane and then I find them killing Quillmane while I'm running her spawn paths. It would be nice if people could just be honest, ha. On a positive note, I can tell you that dozens of people have given me heads up when they saw Quillmane up and they knew I was killing placeholders or tracking. I guess it really just depends on the individual. Like real life, some people are very generous, and some people strictly act in in their own interests.

However, I agree, I see sniping becoming more common if this target is even harder to spawn now.

Thulack
07-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Ok between going back through wayback machine and going back to 2001 quillmane entry in alla's and the posts here: http://www.showeq.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-371.html you can see that people were starting to put the secret of quill together(validating the guide i linked as classic spawning system). and yes zander i might have started farming quill in GoD but that guide was in a text form on a site before it was made all pretty there i just cant find it yet.

Edit: adding some quotes from alla's entry. They are definate but show that some people started to put pieces together:

After 130 hours... By: Anonymous
Posted @ Mon, Jun 18th 4:40 AM 2001 Score: Default[2.00]
After 130 hours (no, not straight through, over the course of 2 months) of camping Quillmane... i have noticed that she does seem to spawn mostly between Paw and Aviaks, once she spawned almost due west of Paw, but the rest of the times i've killed her she was southwest of paw, near a hill at approx loc -5000, +1000, so far 5 Quill kills, 5 sets of feathered leggings... i honestly don't think that the cloak is THAT rare, i think i was just unlucky... but i just wanted to offer some assistance to others so they can get their Epics, or just a nice Levi item =) another thing that really helps is to have a ranger friend sitting next to you =)

and:

My luck might help...dunno By: Anonymous
Posted @ Fri, Mar 30th 1:29 AM Score: Default[2.00]
Ok I had heard about this awesome cloak and after seeing one of the rangers in our guild put his to good use I was determined to get one.

So there i was in SK, not knowing where it spawned and not knowing how often. I was just told by my ranger friend...random..

In fact a friend of mine hunted for 14 hrs non stop with a tracker with no avail.

So this is what I did.. I tracked and killed all of the named gnolls in the zone and everying unique that came up. 20 minutes later..Quill spawned..between the spires and the KFC.

I killed it ..with ease (level 53 druid) and got my cloak.....YAY!!!

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 06:05 PM
This is good stuff. So it seems like the 3 spawn locations of Quillmane in the zone is probably incorrect. These posts make it sound like she should be spawning basically on the south side of the zone like that original website you linked indicates.

hatelore
07-16-2013, 07:11 PM
This is good stuff. So it seems like the 3 spawn locations of Quillmane in the zone is probably incorrect. These posts make it sound like she should be spawning basically on the south side of the zone like that original website you linked indicates.

Lol... Did you even visit the p1999 wiki on quillmane? It has the exact loc of where she spawned before patch, 3 locations. I have done this many times with my ranger and other people and witnessed with my own eyes her spawning at all 3 loc . But honestly iv had her spawn at the hermit hill the most. Before patch, 3 locations. Now after patch? No ide afraid to log in ranger and see how bad his track was raped.

lecompte
07-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Well... I think I've gotten about ... 14-20 cloaks and I do it with one person at each of the spawns on the east side of the map and my track reaches the one on the left. There has definetly been a pretty even distrubition of spawns but only if you consider it over the course of the entire thing. The first time 60% spawned in the north east, second time 60% in the south east, third time 60% in the south west.

Thulack
07-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Dude he is talking about what quillmane's spawning should be as it is on live.

lecompte
07-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Dude he is talking about what quillmane's spawning should be as it is on live.

Could you specificy who "Dude" is? I was responding to hatelore's post.

Thulack
07-16-2013, 07:25 PM
i was responding to hatelore. What zander was referring to is the fact that the whole spawning process and spawn point is wrong on P99 as compared to live.

hatelore
07-16-2013, 07:45 PM
i was responding to hatelore. What zander was referring to is the fact that the whole spawning process and spawn point is wrong on P99 as compared to live.

Ahh okay, my apologies. Thought he was referring to present day on p1999. I guess I should have read a little farther back.

zanderklocke
07-16-2013, 09:52 PM
What zander was referring to is the fact that the whole spawning process and spawn point is wrong on P99 as compared to live.