PDA

View Full Version : Make PVP Great Again

MerkelMacron
03-08-2017, 10:14 AM
As the idea for a 2nd red server got some traction, lets do a swift exploratory poll on the potential going forward

Squire
03-08-2017, 10:33 AM
I support this.

Zade
03-08-2017, 10:49 AM
I would gladly host a server for this or teams.

Baler
03-08-2017, 10:50 AM
This isn't a good idea. I'm sorry.

Discord/green/purple/teams are far better ideas.

---
(mad,sad,fat)
This seems like a RnF thread.
I don't think OP knows what nonprofit means.

Squire
03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
This isn't a good idea. I'm sorry.

Discord/green/purple/teams is a far better idea.

---

This seems like a RnF topic.

While I agree that an alternative rules etc pvp server is a better use of time and resources I believe the legal agreement rogan signed with daybreak games (i.e. a non-compete clause) prevents the implementation of content outside of completion of the current time line's patch history. I'd like to see staff confirm or deny that a legal agreement with daybreak games is why discord and or teams development abruptly ceased.

MerkelMacron
03-08-2017, 10:59 AM
I don't think OP knows what nonprofit means.

I do acutally, since when are nonprofits not able to take donations?

I didnt mean to make it a RnF thread, its just shenanigans

Baler
03-08-2017, 11:01 AM
I do acutally, since when are nonprofits not able to take donations?

You word the poll like we can pay money to the staff and they'll create what we pay for.

Also Why don't you play on Red? And if you do, Why don't you get people to join. Making a new server won't magically make red better/worse or disappear. This just seems like a sad attempt at "wipe it" disguised as something else.
(If you really are new here I apologize but there are a lot of people who make new accounts to try and push their malicious envelopes. It's hard to tell who is who sometimes.)

----
Consider Red

MerkelMacron
03-08-2017, 11:06 AM
You word the poll like we can pay money to the staff and they'll create what we pay for.

when the community donates, it does not "pay"

so maybe the confusion of what non-profit can do is on your part

Squire
03-08-2017, 11:14 AM
I disagree, volunteering to donate to offset the operating cost of an additional server seems perfectly valid to me, I also disagree that a new pvp server or rebooted one wouldn't revitalize the pvp community, frankly it's almost silly that you would even posit that. The current red server has had a litany of major and controversial changes to pvp mechanics, server mechanics, etc throughout its lifetime which has driven away an enormous portion of the player base, red has been anything but consistent since it's launch. While that's not all of what ailed red (the toxicity of a vocal minority of the player base has a lot to do with it as well) I feel that changing the experience rate, the pvp level ranges, global ooc, yellow texted, banning entire fuilds, early money and item exploits, etc have been impactful enough to not simply be hand waved away.

bum3
03-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Since i am ESL, maybe wording is not my strong suit

other people can figure out the legalese

but in essence, the community just donates the funds to the project because we appreciate them

and they start a new r99 2.0 because they are such nice people

a little bit like US congress works, feel me?

I like your style. "I paid for her company. The happy ended was free and unsolicited! Here is the waiver she signed stating exactly that." If Rogean was a billion dollar company or a politician it would work. But since he's neither, he'd lose that suit.

MerkelMacron
03-08-2017, 11:20 AM
(the toxicity of a vocal minority of the player base has a lot to do with it as well).

I dont know who you are Squire but I find it your commentary spot on

HippoNipple
03-08-2017, 12:22 PM
While I agree that an alternative rules etc pvp server is a better use of time and resources I believe the legal agreement rogan signed with daybreak games (i.e. a non-compete clause) prevents the implementation of content outside of completion of the current time line's patch history. I'd like to see staff confirm or deny that a legal agreement with daybreak games is why discord and or teams development abruptly ceased.

Maybe part of the legal agreement is to not publicly discuss the agreement. It would be bad publicity for Daybreak.

Cwall 146.0
03-08-2017, 01:04 PM
project 1999 is not allowed to open new servers as per their agreement with daybreak games

MerkelMacron
03-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Over the life time of red there is approximately 400 - 500 people who like r99 pvp

those of are currently still playing are not even the target group of this initiative

its all those who stopped but come checking in the forums for a red renaissance

MerkelMacron
03-08-2017, 01:06 PM
project 1999 is not allowed to open new servers as per their agreement with daybreak games

pics or it didnt happen

From daybreak's perspective what would be the rational behind limiting the # of servers of all things? exactly.

georgie
03-08-2017, 01:28 PM
I voted on 3-4different accounts

Squire
03-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Yeah I'm inclined to believe that rogean signed an NDA in addition to a non compete clause thus no discord, no teams, dying red

Rang
03-08-2017, 02:35 PM
I'm willing to donate some high quality drugs for this new red server.

Gustoo
03-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Either a classic locked rallos zek 4lvl range item loot) server with periodic legacy item availability after timeline eliminates them , or discord would be appropriate for fun red action, competition and motivation to play for new players.

loramin
03-08-2017, 03:59 PM
I am able to spend 10 USD and see where this goes
I am willing to spend 50 USD and enjoy a quality red server
Splashing out 100 to 200 USD is a small fee for free EQ PVP

I'm not trying to crap on your poll, but the idea of throwing money at the staff to get a new server has been raised before. The powers that be have made it pretty clear in the past that money is like problem #999 when it comes to reasons why you won't get a new server. And this isn't limited to Red: the same applies to new Blue servers too.

As an aside, especially now with AWS, both servers and bandwidth are relatively cheap. Without knowing it's actual specs, I could probably spin up a clone of the P99 server for less (I'm too lazy to use the AWS cost calculator to guess exactly how much less) than $50 a month.

The bottleneck is the people and all the work they have to do, not the money, so unless you can figure out how to use that money to bribe Rogean in to thinking a new server is a good idea (and, if you believe the rumors, bribe Daybreak too), all the money in the world won't make it happen.

Swish
03-08-2017, 10:03 PM
to the top

VZ_Xanit K'ven
03-09-2017, 01:11 AM
poll is less than a day old and approx. 1700 USD (averaged) indicated as possible donations, thats a strong signal

2 People flagged as staff noticed this initiative, high chance Rogean/Nilbog will hear of this

Lets see where this leads, good to see the positive Feedback

cool and normal, just proactive pals pushing for better pvp

Squire
03-09-2017, 07:44 AM
poll is less than a day old and approx. 1700 USD (averaged) indicated as possible donations, thats a strong signal

2 People flagged as staff noticed this initiative, high chance Rogean/Nilbog will hear of this

Lets see where this leads, good to see the positive Feedback

cool and normal, just proactive pals pushing for better pvp

wew lads, the fact that this hasn't been moved in 24 hours if different. id love a staff response.

heartbrand
03-09-2017, 08:33 AM
I offered to donate thousands of dollars to a charity of Rogean's choice just for an update on Discord. The fact that he couldn't even be bothered to make a one sentence status response to raise several thousand dollars for his charity tells you how much he cares about the PvP community.

heartbrand
03-09-2017, 08:35 AM
The good news is at the current rate Daybreak is going, I'll be able to buy the EverQuest IP for pennies on the dollar.

Doctor Jeff
03-09-2017, 08:41 AM
The fact that he couldn't even be bothered to make a one sentence status response to raise several thousand dollars for his charity tells you how much he cares about the baby seals.

ftfy

Gustoo
03-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Blue guys would have a blast in scary classic era PvP world. Good times ahead. Discord should come asap but that is about a billion times more hardcore than normal item loot PvP.

Pernadeath is hi challenge especially with pathing issues and stuff.

Squire
03-09-2017, 01:03 PM
How long ago was discord announced and how closely thereafter did they announce daybreak allowing p99 to continue ?

EQBallzz
03-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Red/PvP threads on the forums (outside of PvP section) should be treated like dual boxing. If you have made more than 1 of them..SUSPENDED!

Spyder73
03-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Almost positive that Daybreak has put the kibosh on any new servers. Doesn't matter though because PVP in EQ is about the worst gaming experience one can have (in any game, ever)

Squire
03-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Almost positive that Daybreak has put the kibosh on any new servers. Doesn't matter though because PVP in EQ is about the worst gaming experience one can have (in any game, ever)

That's, like, your opinion man.

I enjoy eq and eq with pvp. If you look a the poll numbers it shows a larger swath of people who want a renewed red server than the current red population would indicate, not even taking into account people who want a revitalized pvp server without being willing to donate.

Squire
03-09-2017, 07:09 PM
From the other thread

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2483803&postcount=53

We had a talk about hardcoded teams the other day. Ideas are still being tossed around. 2 vs 3 teams, language restrictions, vanilla content only, item loot, rolling restarts etc. This is not me saying that it's going to happen, that's ultimately up to Rogean plus required dev time. But the talk is still alive and active between csr and dev.

Intradasting.

MerkelMacron
03-10-2017, 01:14 PM
bump

Swish
03-10-2017, 08:44 PM

You seem like a an EQ PvP veteran who is definitely qualified to say what you just said :rolleyes:

Squire
03-10-2017, 10:34 PM
I feel that the "EQ pvp bad" meme is spouted by people who have literally never engaged in it more than people who have.

Cwall 146.0
03-10-2017, 11:04 PM
EQ PvP is very bad from mechanical and design perspectives, but it coincidentally solves many of the other design flaws of the game in general

i think it's a net gain in that regard, but a PvP server without a large community to sustain it is unplayable

rollin5k
03-11-2017, 01:20 AM
Or how about a PVP server that has players with jobs

VZ_Xanit K'ven
03-13-2017, 06:33 AM
bump

for a potential bounty of 3710 USD for a rebirth of r99, Teams, RaHoWa or a second red17

Squire
03-13-2017, 07:17 AM
RaHoWa

VZ_Xanit K'ven
03-13-2017, 03:12 PM
you know, deity based Team pvp

Qtip
03-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Or how about a PVP server that has players with jobs

How about a blue server with people who work instead of sitting at a spawn point for 18 hours so they can be the first to foot face for said mob?

ZiggyTheMuss
03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
EQ PvP is very bad from mechanical and design perspectives, but it coincidentally solves many of the other design flaws of the game in general

i think it's a net gain in that regard, but a PvP server without a large community to sustain it is unplayable

Yep.

It was fun in EQ's heyday when there were large populations on the pvp servers. Need that mix of casuals, noobs and hardcores.

indiscriminate_hater
03-13-2017, 03:56 PM
I'm mad, sad, and fat, but also in favor of a new R99

Brut
03-13-2017, 04:02 PM
New servers are fun.
EQ Pvp is fun until Kunark/Velious opens. Keep it classic!

Squire
03-14-2017, 10:53 PM
idk why they havent at least let people copy their blue characters over to red yet

gprater
03-15-2017, 01:28 PM
I would play red If:
There were teams and no one could communicate in ANY way with someone from another team, and you could not have an alt on another team. This would be fun.

Nirgon
03-15-2017, 01:32 PM
dark night times + item loot or we can go back to waiting for a classic server tbh

Amazing job by Haynar on resist/melee system, wish rest of people with source access were as good. Telin also fixed mage epic pet resist. Fucks given = + pop.

MerkelMacron
03-22-2017, 06:58 PM
bump

3140 USD on the table

We had Guides answer in this thread, lets keep this current, maybe they will let management know. I have never seen that many wipe, renew or teams threads.

Rejuvinate Red and see the pop rise !

- a couple of hundred eq pvp people waiting on the side line
- new servers always awesome
- velious TOO DAMN MANY zones

Deadlyfury
03-22-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm sure people say that they would, but once asked to donate, do you think they actually would? and isn't that amount pretty much the population of the red server? :P

And one last thing, why isn't this in the PvP Server Chat category?

Swish
03-22-2017, 10:22 PM
This isn't the blue server chat room. It's for the general community.

Deadlyfury
03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
This isn't the blue server chat room. It's for the general community.

I never said this was the "Blue" server chat room? Did i?

I'm sure people say that they would, but once asked to donate, do you think they actually would? and isn't that amount pretty much the population of the red server? :P

And one last thing, why isn't this in the PvP Server Chat category?

Hmmm nope, don't see the word blue in there :)

Just curious, there is a specific red server chat room, wouldn't it make more sense to get the consensus of the folks in there since it's specifically for the red community?

kgallowaypa
03-23-2017, 08:37 AM
I played on Vallon Zek back on live and I can tell you teams based pvp was WAY more cohesive to the community than everyone that can kill everyone within range. Teams gave a purpose to lighties vs darkies vs shorties and zone controlling was what made VZ and TZ great. Not a lot of people enjoyed the nodrop Rallos Zek mentality from my experience and it showed in the numbers. As to why they decided to emulate a Rallos like pvp server with with stark contrast to a normal server is beyond me...Teams Red 99 would have been more successful in todays p99 heyday IMHO

Swish
03-23-2017, 08:42 AM
I never said this was the "Blue" server chat room? Did i?

Hmmm nope, don't see the word blue in there :)

Just curious, there is a specific red server chat room, wouldn't it make more sense to get the consensus of the folks in there since it's specifically for the red community?

No, you implied it by saying this belongs "not here" when its fine here.

EDIT: Also as this is the most read forum (arguably along with RNF) it makes sense to have it here as a window for players who want to try something different. Dare I say the same ole same ole on blue gets a bit tiresome :p