PDA

View Full Version : If you could have any P99-based website that you wanted ...

loramin
03-08-2017, 09:59 PM
TLDR: What Project 1999/Everquest-related website would you like to see?

The demise of ahungry's auction tracker got me thinking: I'm a web developer, and I could write a new auction tracker if I really wanted. However, I'm not particularly in to the EC tunnel scene, so I'd likely lose interest in the project before I finished. (As a side note, I emailed ahungry and offered to take over the old tracker, but he never responded. If anyone happens to have the source code for it let me know and maybe it can be resurrected.)

But there are lots of possibilities for other Project 1999/Everquest-related sites, and maybe one of them might hold my interest. So my question for the forum is, if you could have someone build any P99-related website you wanted (eg. a new Magelo, an EQ achievements site, another auction tracker, etc.), what would it be?

I offer absolutely no promise whatsoever that I will build anything you suggest, but it can't hurt to try (and even if I don't, who knows maybe another developer here will pick the idea up.)

Swish
03-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Ahungry was great in its heyday (before the google ads)... I think that's what killed its popularity, and the tracker after it was better.

If the pop was higher a pvp stats site would be good. Like a character's record against individual players across all seasons of the current leaderboard. With a higher population things like this would be even more of a draw for people to come and play red.

Tupakk
03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
A map that shows where everyone is at all times level/race/class anything that /who all will spit out. If they chose to have their logs on and the program on their machine.

This wouldn't take much work as their is always an overlay program out and about.

Last year a LFG website kind of took off but didn't see much interest after about month 2. It was very basic no flash n trash and didn't really give much to the eye.

The best website IMO is something that nobody has to try and figure out its just there and usable.

A place that could decipher logs would be great as well. Sifting through all those logs is a pita.

A tradeskilling website for all the tradeskills

A make a toon webiste would be cool too. The what if I could build it this way putting in stats and armor and weapons and seeing what the end result is. Buffed and Unbuffed

Those are just off the top of my head.

Naethyn
03-08-2017, 10:39 PM
A list of all the raid mobs with what guild killed it last. Additionally when ground shakes happen a list of who killed what for that reset.

Another one, DPS simulator for each mob.

meadtj
03-08-2017, 10:42 PM
TLDR: What Project 1999/Everquest-related website would you like to see?

The demise of ahungry's auction tracker got me thinking: I'm a web developer, and I could write a new auction tracker if I really wanted. However, I'm not particularly in to the EC tunnel scene, so I'd likely lose interest in the project before I finished. (As a side note, I emailed ahungry and offered to take over the old tracker, but he never responded. If anyone happens to have the source code for it let me know and maybe it can be resurrected.)

But there are lots of possibilities for other Project 1999/Everquest-related sites, and maybe one of them might hold my interest. So my question for the forum is, if you could have someone build any P99-related website you wanted (eg. a new Magelo, an EQ achievements site, another auction tracker, etc.), what would it be?

I offer absolutely no promise whatsoever that I will build anything you suggest, but it can't hurt to try (and even if I don't, who knows maybe another developer here will pick the idea up.)

I've thought of the same thing. Might be fun to build like a helper app in electron or something.

loramin
03-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Great ideas so far. One quick request: if your idea involves data like PvP or raid mob stats, please mention how you would imagine the site getting that data (eg. is there another website that has it, do people upload logs, do they fill out a web form, etc.)

I've thought of the same thing. Might be fun to build like a helper app in electron or something.

:)

Tupakk
03-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Great ideas so far. One quick request: if your idea involves data like PvP or raid mob stats, please mention how the site would get that data (eg. is there a website that has it, do people submit logs, do they fill out a web form, wtc.)

:)

Easiest way to get the info is for someone to have logs and a program on that sends the data to your website.

Nobody wants to fill out a form.

Sorn
03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
FashionQuest and Tradeskill websites

loramin
03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
A log-sniffing background program is not a hard project at all. Heck, one could even write a generic log sniffer that uploaded data to multiple sites (if there were several sites that wanted it).

meadtj
03-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Easiest way to get the info is for someone to have logs and a program on that sends the data to your website.

Nobody wants to fill out a form.

Exactly, you can pull just about everything from the logs eq produces. If its in electron it will run on all platforms and can be built for all platforms on a mac. It could track all kinds of things like repops based on what zone your in. Have custom timers for you. We could open source it on github.

loramin
03-08-2017, 10:58 PM
There's been a couple tradeskill site requests: what would y'all want to see on it? I mean, I'm a tradeskiller myself but off the top of my head all I can think of is slightly more advanced versions of the tables on the wiki, and maybe a cost calculator.

Tupakk
03-08-2017, 11:02 PM
All the recipes. Chance of success and failures. Cost.

loramin
03-08-2017, 11:03 PM
We could open source it on github.

I think the death of past (closed source) sites demonstrates why going OSS makes sense. Plus, GitHub makes collaborating on projects much easier.

meadtj
03-08-2017, 11:07 PM
I think the death of past (closed source) sites demonstrates why going OSS makes sense. Plus, GitHub makes collaborating on projects much easier.

Absolutely and if server and client are open source other servers could use the tool as well. People could also host a private version if they wish.

Baler
03-08-2017, 11:13 PM
A website exposing people who attack p99 and p99 related sites.
Also ahunery's site is working fine for me. So long as people run the software the log should stay up to date. As well as emailing him missing items.
PS. I don't get ads. git gud nub seriously.

Izmael
03-09-2017, 05:28 AM
Nothing.

P99 is mighty fine as it is.

Sorn
03-09-2017, 12:28 PM
There's been a couple tradeskill site requests: what would y'all want to see on it? I mean, I'm a tradeskiller myself but off the top of my head all I can think of is slightly more advanced versions of the tables on the wiki, and maybe a cost calculator.

I'd like all the recipes, but done in a more user friendly way (a bit like eqtraders where you can look up 'all recipes that use this item' and see the stats for the results in a table, only have the table to be sortable and stuff), quick trivial lists, easier to look up recipes for a craft (ex: all pottery recipes ever), can be edited/added to by community, chance of success calculator, and look up by era/patch (especially handy for anyone who plays on the next server) to see what's meant to be in-game at what time.

Also wouldn't mind a good repository for guides :)

rollin5k
03-09-2017, 12:37 PM
A website that Livestream cameras set up in each zone line and Identifies every character who walks through. It also takes a guess at what gear the came in/left with. It automatically sends tells to players congratulating them on soulfires too.it also tallies up and shows what faces people have chosen and shows the percentage of face popularity.

Spyder73
03-09-2017, 01:19 PM
A website that tracks Forum Quest stats and outs people for posting from multiple or anon accounts.

Sage Truthbearer
03-09-2017, 01:33 PM
An updated FashionQuest™ chart for P99 similar to the old Allakhazam one (http://web.archive.org/web/20021104074632/http://everquest.allakhazam.com/equipment/fashion/fashion_A_E.html) wouldn't be hard to whip up, and I'm sure a ton of people would use it.

rollin5k
03-09-2017, 01:53 PM
A website that tracks Forum Quest stats and outs people for posting from multiple or anon accounts.

Just because I post once a week with a ground-breaking idea doesn't mean this is an anonymous account lifer.

Lojik
03-09-2017, 02:31 PM
A prediction market website, similar to what intrade used to be.

You could make platinum bets on things like which guild will be suspended next, which guild will kill vulak next, and the odds change based on how much platinum is bet on which outcome.

Don't think the GM's would go for it though haha

Tupakk
03-09-2017, 02:33 PM
A prediction market website, similar to what intrade used to be.

You could make platinum bets on things like which guild will be suspended next, which guild will kill vulak next, and the odds change based on how much platinum is bet on which outcome.

Don't think the GM's would go for it though haha

A p99 OTB website would be fucking awesome. I love to gamble on anything the weirder it is the more fun I have.

Again if logs are being pumped through a tracker anything is possible.

But yeah betting here isn't going to fly even if it is classic.

Secrets
03-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Dial-a-Port/UberPorts Phone/Web App.

You could rate porters, and porters could rate you. You could also use the app to schedule pickups, with a list of active, verified druids to pick you up.
You would also be able to specify an expected tip amount so there's no confusion among travelers and expected tips. It would ultimately streamline the porting process.
Druids/wizards could run /loc, and optionally, the customers could run /loc and have a realtime map of each zone displayed on the website showing the position of the customer is, and where the druid/wizard is.

Tupakk
03-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Dial-a-Port/UberPorts Phone/Web App.

You could rate porters, and porters could rate you. You could also use the app to schedule pickups, with a list of active, verified druids to pick you up.
You would also be able to specify an expected tip amount so there's no confusion among travelers and expected tips. It would ultimately streamline the porting process.
Druids/wizards could run /loc, and optionally, the customers could run /loc and have a realtime map of each zone displayed on the website showing the position of the customer is, and where the druid/wizard is.

We joked about that in DoF when this thread surfaced.

I feel that limiting it to just us wouldn't be fair. So to amend what you said t should be something like ratethatplayer.com or rtp.com or rtp99.com

Where you could view profile of people leave reviews and notes.

This wouldn't require a program but it would require getting a full player list of the current server and I doubt they are willing to give that to you unless you have some serious pull.

ZarkinFrood
03-09-2017, 11:58 PM
+1 for fashion quest. I want a dressing room app damn it! Also, there used to be a site that showed which face you would end up with after using guises. I NEED it.

loramin
03-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

It seems like for me personally the easiest site to build will probably be the FashionQuest site, so I'll see if I can get that started someday soon.

However, a LOT of ideas here all depend on easy/reliable log uploading, so I really thing a generic log uploader would be awesome. I'm imagining something like a program you install once and then it always runs in the background so you forget it even exists. On a regular basis it would upload your logs to a central site, and then on that site there'd be a list of other sites you could "approve" to access your data.

So for instance, you might want to allow your logs to be accessed by the auction tracker site, but not the "show which zone I'm currently in" site, and the log uploader app/site would make that possible. And because all the code would be open source, you could know that the site isn't secretly sharing your data with someone you don't want to share it with.

Having that might enable a whole bunch of other sites to exist, so I might do that instead. If anyone else is interested in building it though (or collaborating on it) that'd be great, as I'm not sure I'll be motivated to finish it on my own.

kotton05
03-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Any website that can help the community will be ruined by ddos. We can't have nice things here.

Mahoot
03-10-2017, 02:16 PM
I used to pay for Allakhazam's premium service (whatever it was called) when I played on live. One of the things that I got from that was the ability to search for items by class, slot, stats, and a bunch of other criteria. So far I have found on the wiki a place where I can search for items by class and slot and then sort by stat, which is cool, but an intuitive tool to just search stuff up based on my own criteria would be very handy. Perhaps you could implement something like that as part of your fashion quest site?

magicnubs
03-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Last year a LFG website kind of took off but didn't see much interest after about month 2. It was very basic no flash n trash and didn't really give much to the eye.

A make a toon website would be cool too. The what if I could build it this way putting in stats and armor and weapons and seeing what the end result is. Buffed and Unbuffed

1. I think an LFG site would be a great thing, simply because it would make it easier to get groups going in zones that are not part of the standard "leveling corridor" (CB/Unrest/MM/CoM/etc.)

2. A "build a character" site would be awesome as well! It could let you plug in the characters starting stats, let you choose the level, armor and buffs (gathering all of that data from the P99 wiki) add it all up and calculate what your HP/mana would be, plus alert if you had hit the soft or hard caps for any stats. That way you could know if your gnome warrior was doomed to be eternally gimped or not based on what gear you could feasibly get your hands on.

3. And from what everyone says Fashionquest would be popular. I don't usually worry much about how gear looks (since I'm still a poor scrub who is only looking for stats) but I might give it a go eventually. Who knows, maybe I would actually start to care what my character looks like if I could easily identify some gear that didn't make me look like a clown (as long as the stat trade-offs were reasonable).

OP, maybe after you've gotten some choices for a site you are considering creating you should start a thread with a poll to see which is the most popular idea?

loramin
03-10-2017, 09:05 PM
OP, maybe after you've gotten some choices for a site you are considering creating you should start a thread with a poll to see which is the most popular idea?

I would, but here's the thing: even if the entire server voted for a particular site idea, if I start it and lose interest that site will never happen. So I'd rather finish one site, even if only 5 people use it, than start a site I won't finish because it was popular.

But it's a great idea for any devs out there with longer attention spans.

tristantio
03-11-2017, 12:40 AM
Hm, the site isn't dead, just some JS is apparently not loading properly or something:

http://ahungry.com/eqauctions-live

Also, I've always had the entire site open source:

https://github.com/ahungry/com.ahungry

Feel free to browse the repos, there is the code for the p99-patcher, which includes a group/server synced map client rendered in browser and centralized data (so you can see where all your friends are):

https://github.com/ahungry?tab=repositories

There is also a standalone C++ map app.

I'll fix the JS error and the Ahungry feed should load as always.

tristantio
03-11-2017, 12:46 AM
Hm ok, so on this machine I had noscript blocking some JS - to me, it doesn't seem like there is any problem with Ahungry, so not even sure what this thread is about.

tristantio
03-11-2017, 12:51 AM
There is also the very old C and bash based log uploaders (works on Windows, GNU/Linux and OSX) that I posted the source to way back in 2010 (you can find as a github repo in that big list) - very easy to repurpose to send to any amount of endpoints (the parsing finds the most recently updated log file in a directory and essentially tails the file, sending the lines to whatever location).

There is also a Common Lisp based equivalent in the p99-patcher repository, and a C++ equivalent in the p99-mapper repository.

Huge proponent of FOSS here!

Pokesan
03-11-2017, 12:54 AM
a website that kicks Swish in the ballsack

Swish
03-11-2017, 02:02 AM
a website that kicks Swish in the ballsack

flustered ^^

loramin
03-11-2017, 03:01 AM
Hm ok, so on this machine I had noscript blocking some JS - to me, it doesn't seem like there is any problem with Ahungry

I read in a different thread about it being gone, except that thread must have been about a different tracker, or it was only down temporarily, or I was otherwise confused and misunderstood (but of course I can't find that thread now ... :(). I apologize profusely if I inadvertently sent you on a wild goose chase, and for greatly exaggerating rumors of your site's demise!

so not even sure what this thread is about.

Me being confused was just what prompted me to start it; the goal of the thread was to solicit ideas for EQ-related sites.

meadtj
03-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Yes, eqhungry works just fine I use it all the time. Have you never got tells from people outside of WC asking to buy your stuff or get a tell like a day later when your not in wc anymore. Thats eqhungry at work. I wouldn't want to duplicate any of that work necessarily unless there was a way to improve it. I might have an idea for integrating with the logger in an app though, might be a cool feature.

And sites cost money to stay up, no one should care if there are ads or not. Personally i've never noticed them.

Lhancelot
03-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Need a website up that tracks all NPC vendors.

This site should show exactly all the items that are sitting on said NPC, and be updated by the second.

Also, site should show every vendors items that have been bought and sold over the past month.

This site could help the raid guilds determine what vendors are least used so they can find safe places to vendor their rechargeables.

Make it happen.

meadtj
03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Need a website up that tracks all NPC vendors.

This site should show exactly all the items that are sitting on said NPC, and be updated by the second.

Also, site should show every vendors items that have been bought and sold over the past month.

This site could help the raid guilds determine what vendors are least used so they can find safe places to vendor their rechargeables.

Make it happen.

This is probably impossible, without breaking ToS of P99. We could have a commonly used cap vendor area.

meadtj
03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
So far I have

1) Map of where people are
2) Uber for ports classes(you may regret this btw, port prices that change based on hour porting?)
3) LFG Tool
4) Dice Capture Tool
5) Fashion Quest, character design
6) Fashion Quest, face preview
7) Damage simulator(this may be hard)
8) Tradeskill assitant
9) Find a tradeskiller
9) Ahungry integration
10) spawn tracker
11) mob kill time tracker
12) Guild Finder
13) Guild Rotation Tracker
14) active live streamers on twitch
15) common recharge vendors

It maybe should have the ability to do plugins as well. Do we have anyone that does GUI design?

Ampeg
03-11-2017, 11:44 AM
It was p99auctions that shut down as a result of persistent ddos attacks.

To echo merkk's comment, keep in mind that anything relying on a stream of player logs uploaded to your app will have to address this problem, so be prepared.

meadtj
03-11-2017, 12:04 PM
It was p99auctions that shut down as a result of persistent ddos attacks.

To echo merkk's comment, keep in mind that anything relying on a stream of player logs uploaded to your app will have to address this problem, so be prepared.

everything is susceptible to false data. Even eqhungry...You just have to kind of hope people will be grown ups and do your best to curb it.