PDA

View Full Version : EQ Live

Honus
02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
How many of you will be going to live to play on the new "classic" server?
I say not only no, but FUCK NO.

moklianne
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Its going to be like the last couple of progression servers they had. Its not classic at all. All of the zones that have been revamped aren't reverting back. Old quests/items that were taken out are not coming back, etc. Instances everywhere, etc.

The difference this time is that it will be timelocked when each expansion will be released. The last time, the top guilds were burning through expansions too quickly. It was a race. All of the expansions were opened up in like a year, so there was no true old world feel. They really need to take at least 3 years to allow people to truly experience everything each expansion had to offer. The problem is that the progression servers are just alt servers. When someone gets bored on it for even a few minutes, they will just jump back to their main on a regular server.

I actually mentioned to a dev once that they should make a true classic server and they said they don't have the man power. Plus most of the original source code is simply gone. They just don't have a complete record anymore.

Zadrian
02-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Fact of the matter is, they will be 50 in a couple weeks. I bet they'll even allow the newbie quest gear stuff

Extunarian
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I want to vote no, but I hate it when people replace the letter S with a dollar sign, so I had to pick "don't know."

Also, fixed:
The problem is that the progression servers are just alt servers. When someone gets bored on it for even a few minutes, they will just jump back to their main on p1999

hedbonker
02-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Why pay for that crap when you can come here, make a donation and have a hell of a good time...

DevGrousis
02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
what is alluring to me is the shear numbers.. it will really feel like it did back then with the zones brimming. but someone made a good point about players attention span

Odeseus
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Not even going to bother with the live version, but not for the reasons already mentioned. There are 2 for me:

1) cost. These days I'm counting every penny so resubbing to EQ is just not in the cards right now. I could call up some old friends to see if I could borrow their account, but this leads me to my next point.....

2) multi-boxing. There is going to be a TON of it. Most people who are on live still have 2 accounts or more, or at least have access to more than 1 account. Or people would resub old accounts so they could multi-box in the prog server. That would drive me nuts since finding a group there would be just as hard (if not harder) than it is here, even with a larger player population.

And other than those two points, I agree with what has already been said. SoE would probably make the experience much easier than it was back in the day because current live subs have gotten used to a slightly easier game. Or in general, P99 is probably going to give a better "classic" experience than SoE could deliver. Which is sad that this little private server can kick SoE's ass......even though SoE has a TON more $ and man power and actually owns the original game.

Just my 2cp.

Chanus
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
"$OE" is the stupidest thing ever.

OH NOES! A CORPORATION THAT WANTS TO MAKE MONEY!

Scroll
02-04-2011, 03:37 PM

QFE

moklianne
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Hopefully, it will be a good advertisement for P1999. Either people will hate it and want a truer experience, or they will burn through it and miss it once its over.

I almost want to go back temporarily just to spread the word of P1999.

Extunarian
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM

shut up chanu$!!

Chanus
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
shut up chanu$!!

You $hut up!

Kingofqueens123
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
SOE said that it is not going to be "classic" just a progression based server,for players who want a new start at EverQuest. Also if not for "$OE" there would be no project 1999 because there would be no Everquest.

Versus
02-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Only thing that would tempt me would be the lack of GM's and all the mischief I could get up to. That being said, there is a 0% chance I re-sub to Sony.

Love ya Hobby, Uth, Nilbog.

/petition Seriously, can I please have my surname to be Uranus again? PLEASE?!?

Azimon
02-04-2011, 06:20 PM
It's not going to be like other progression servers though. From what i've heard it will be like this. First players need to beat all the content, when all the content i classic eq is beaten, there will be a vote on the forums on which people can decide if they want to open the next expansion or not, if yes, a grace period starts..They've already announced that first grace period will be 90 days, then they open the next expansion (kunark), then people will need to beat all the content, then vote, then 60 days grace period for the next expansion, then all content ..then vote..then from what i could see 30 days grace.

Fact is, say people spend 1,5 month beating classic content, then a week of voting..then 90 days before kunark..so at least 4,5 months before kunark opens..and say another month, vote a week..then 60 days..velious.

This will take time, they've removed all new items from the game, the old classic items WILL be in. They've even stated that new models wont be available before luclin etc.

To me this sounds like an interesting concept, and the fact that the community get to vote, makes it democratic. "No..we do NOT want gates of suck".."Ok then"..60 days to next vote..it's not a bad idea.

Randy
02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I think the difference will be, even with the grace period, everyone will be grinding through the content. I think the grace period is the longest at the beginning simply so they can get as many people signed up because if there wasn't and someone heard about it late or got a late start you'd feel like you'll be too far behind so why bother joining.

The reason this server is great cause it brings me back to when i first started, before I really knew what the deal was and could just float through the game. There's people still spread out at all levels and i can have fun with it.

corradojeff
02-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Also, you are correct, "$OE" does suck because Verant created Everquest and without Verant there would be no project 1999 because there would have been no Everquest.

Fixed

DevGrousis
02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
SOE said that it is not going to be "classic" just a progression based server,for players who want a new start at EverQuest. Also if not for "$OE" there would be no project 1999 because there would be no Everquest.

SOE didnt create everquest!

Verant is to blame for this shitty game!!!!! :D

Orov
02-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Fixed

beat me to it.

DevGrousis
02-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Fixed

damn too late :(

Kingofqueens123
02-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Hail, FIPPY DARKPAW! :D

hedbonker
02-04-2011, 07:36 PM
SOE didnt create everquest!

Verant is to blame for this shitty game!!!!! :D

In April 1998, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) was formed by merging parts of Sony Online Ventures with Sony Pictures Entertainment. Within a matter of months after this change, Sony Interactive Studios America was renamed 989 Studios.

Towards the end of 1998, 989 Studios shifted its strategy to making PlayStation console games only. The company's computer game/online development branch spun off, initially calling itself RedEye Interactive and then soon after Verant Interactive.

EverQuest launched with modest expectations from Sony on March 16, 1999 under its Verant Interactive brand and quickly became successful.

Verant was always SOE...

L2Phantom
02-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Hail, FIPPY DARKPAW! :D

Darkforge
02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I vote no, for the fact that you know the -EXP % is going from all those classes/race combos. So intern someone will be 50 in a week or so. Also the zones will prob. be revamped even though it is progression. That means the new world drops will still be in. I forget the name of the new items that drop off mobs your lvl and you get the armor and weapons of that level. I believe it is defiant armor or something along that line....

Going to be to easy and it will be up to PoP in no time!!!

Angry face for the new server! :mad:

quellren
02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Actually in the thread regarding the announcement they specifically said that old zones were in, Defiant was out.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?start=150&topic_id=173099

garyogburn
02-05-2011, 10:35 PM
No way. I decided long ago SoE isnt getting another dime from me. After GoD and Vanguard, they can foad.

Anyways, p99 is simply too good to leave.

oldhead
02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
why would I?

I dont want to go past velious and it will progress quicker than this server.

I'll stay here...

I'm just worried that with this server coming out $OE might start paying attention to our little server here and cause problems.

Scrooge
02-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Not gonna happen!

No way. I decided long ago SoE isnt getting another dime from me. After GoD and Vanguard, they can foad.

Anyways, p99 is simply too good to leave.

Well said!

Kingofqueens123
02-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I vote no, for the fact that you know the -EXP % is going from all those classes/race combos. So intern someone will be 50 in a week or so. Also the zones will prob. be revamped even though it is progression. That means the new world drops will still be in. I forget the name of the new items that drop off mobs your lvl and you get the armor and weapons of that level. I believe it is defiant armor or something along that line....

Going to be to easy and it will be up to PoP in no time!!!

Angry face for the new server! :mad:

WAY off...XP won't be the same ,zones that were not in classic wil NOT be on server,defiant also will NOT be classic.

Myrkskog
02-05-2011, 11:59 PM
No. I'm not going to pay for 10 year old content. If SoE wants my money they will have to do it with Next.

Lazortag
02-06-2011, 12:00 AM
even if I had the money for an MMO, I just couldn't see myself leaving p99. the only thing that could possibly be funner than p99, for me, would be a time machine going back to 1999 with a subscription to EQ and high speed internet.

Orov
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm just worried that with this server coming out $OE might start paying attention to our little server here and cause problems.

Check out one of those threads Rogean made. This server is legit legal. SoE can't really do much which is why they haven't. Luckily Rog read the ToS like most of us don't.

DevGrousis
02-06-2011, 12:47 AM
In April 1998, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) was formed by merging parts of Sony Online Ventures with Sony Pictures Entertainment. Within a matter of months after this change, Sony Interactive Studios America was renamed 989 Studios.

Towards the end of 1998, 989 Studios shifted its strategy to making PlayStation console games only. The company's computer game/online development branch spun off, initially calling itself RedEye Interactive and then soon after Verant Interactive.

EverQuest launched with modest expectations from Sony on March 16, 1999 under its Verant Interactive brand and quickly became successful.

Verant was always SOE...

you da winna

moklianne
02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
WAY off...XP won't be the same ,zones that were not in classic wil NOT be on server,defiant also will NOT be classic.

So they are going to roll back Freeport, split off Oasis to its original state? I don't think so. All of the zones that are in the world will be put back into the world in their current state, not their original state.

Removing gear that is not classic is easy and can be done with scripting, but reverting quests, NPC's, etc is a massive undertaking and I seriously doubt they have the resources to do this AND continue to fix the current content and plan for new.

quellren
02-06-2011, 10:19 AM
So they are going to roll back Freeport, split off Oasis to its original state? I don't think so. All of the zones that are in the world will be put back into the world in their current state, not their original state.

Removing gear that is not classic is easy and can be done with scripting, but reverting quests, NPC's, etc is a massive undertaking and I seriously doubt they have the resources to do this AND continue to fix the current content and plan for new.

Nevertheless, that's exactly what they claim to have done for Fippy.

moklianne
02-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Did a dev say that?

All I can find is this:

You say, 'Will revamped zones be considered also? older versions, such as freeport'
Piestro says, 'for those that want that experience, we want to give them a quality experience not something that will be a short term draw'
Piestro says, 'Haven't talked to them specifically about that, I would assume that the revamps will stay however'

Hoggen
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
The changes made to "noob" zones are extremely ugly and unbalancing. I would possibly enjoy playing Kunark or later, but the original content areas would suck beyond belief. That said, I would not be interested in shelling out one penny to replay content I did nearly twelve years ago. If it were FTP? Who knows. I play 1999 occasionally, afterall.

Darkforge
02-06-2011, 02:09 PM

If you read my post that is what i said :D Reading is fun :D

muddy27
02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Fuck No Indeed!

muddy27
02-06-2011, 02:58 PM
It's not going to be like other progression servers though. From what i've heard it will be like this. First players need to beat all the content, when all the content i classic eq is beaten, there will be a vote on the forums on which people can decide if they want to open the next expansion or not, if yes, a grace period starts..They've already announced that first grace period will be 90 days, then they open the next expansion (kunark), then people will need to beat all the content, then vote, then 60 days grace period for the next expansion, then all content ..then vote..then from what i could see 30 days grace.

Fact is, say people spend 1,5 month beating classic content, then a week of voting..then 90 days before kunark..so at least 4,5 months before kunark opens..and say another month, vote a week..then 60 days..velious.

This will take time, they've removed all new items from the game, the old classic items WILL be in. They've even stated that new models wont be available before luclin etc.

To me this sounds like an interesting concept, and the fact that the community get to vote, makes it democratic. "No..we do NOT want gates of suck".."Ok then"..60 days to next vote..it's not a bad idea.

There leaving Augments and other things in....

Mcbard
02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
even if I had the money for an MMO, I just couldn't see myself leaving p99. the only thing that could possibly be funner than p99, for me, would be a time machine going back to 1999 with a subscription to EQ and high speed internet.

Same for me.. except I'd also have to lose my girlfriend, my life, and everything I've accomplished in the last 10 years. Not sure I'm completely willing to make that sacrifice, but it would be fun for a month or so haha.

girth
02-06-2011, 07:02 PM
The way I understood it, the vote came after the grace period to see if they want another grace period.

Azimon
02-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Marketplace items will Not be in before secrets of faydwer btw.

But yes, i think this server will be far from classic..it's a progression server, not a classic server.

Revamped south ro, north ro will be probably be in, so will revamped commonlands and revamped nektulos and revamped freeport, i could never imagine them making an effort to bring back the classic feel of these zones as they probably think it an improvement to have the new zones. (well, they will finally get some use at least, on live they just stayed ghost towns)

DevGrousis
02-07-2011, 04:46 AM
anyone mention/know how long the time locks are set for?

Azimon
02-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Yah, first lock will be 90 days from all content done. The rest will be 60 days between. Will take at least a year or so before they start rolling in the crappy expansions like luclin.

Azimon
02-07-2011, 05:28 AM
That is, after you beat all the content, there will be a grace period of first 90 days, then vote, then you have to beat all the content in the next expansion, then vote, then 60 days grace period.

Thats why i estimate a year before people will surpass velious

DevGrousis
02-07-2011, 05:31 AM
there is a server wide vote on whether or not content should unlock??

Azimon
02-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Yes, that is correct.

darkblade717
02-07-2011, 05:38 AM

I don't really think you get it, meaning you didn't play way back when before the game became a clusterfuck of expansions and free loot for everyone.

Azimon
02-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Free loot for everyone didnt really come until after planes of power. And that way way after sony took over for verant. They added some low level armor quests, which gave a shitty armor reward that was a step up from bronze / banded, but nothing more tbh.

Defiant armor and the stupid mines of gloomingdeep was like ..The spine of whatever expansion..wasn't it?

mitic
02-07-2011, 06:08 AM
the point is, if someone soley plays to win, then go play progression until the inevitable will come (an expansion someone doesnt like) and most likely quit after as i did on combine back the day.

but if someone actually made friends here and tends to enjoy classic more than live eq then i would stay since P99 is build for the years to come without wow-esque gameplay with pop and beyond on live

and lets not forget that P99-staff said they might release a second P99 server after velious.

Azimon
02-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Shrug, depends on the community, on the combine you had no choice, the expansions came out pretty fast, here the community at least get to vote.

mitic
02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
sooo, everything is set up and gtg to have some additional entertainment between bosskills on p99 till kunark! emu/live boxing ftw! :D

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/miticeq/setup.jpg

moklianne
02-07-2011, 12:19 PM
That is, after you beat all the content, there will be a grace period of first 90 days, then vote, then you have to beat all the content in the next expansion, then vote, then 60 days grace period.

Thats why i estimate a year before people will surpass velious

Probably less than that. I see a few scenarios.

Raid heavy, more hard core players - Those that are in top end raiding guilds are bored with current content or want to try to relive their early EQ days will try it out. With them comes the hardcore mentality whether they realize it or not. They end up maxing levels on multiple toons, creating/joining raiding guilds, etc. They will create enough toons to create their own groups. I know because I used to fit in this category. ;)

Casual players - they will try it out as a novelty, creating one perhaps two toons on the server. Leveling them up at a slower pace due to their schedules, etc. They are not in a rush at all.

Going back to how fast they are going to burn through this server....
Raid heavy, more hard core players usually have multiple accounts. They are going to be bored as hell and want the next expansions to roll out, so they can get server firsts, specific items, quests, etc. You have to remember, none of this is new content. It doesn't need to be figured out. Also, if each account has the right to vote once, they are going to have an advantage to those more casual players that only have 1 account, or even forget to log in during a voting period.

To each their own, but I didn't enjoy the last set of progression servers they had and I am thoroughly enjoying p1999. Take it as you may. Hopefully they rolled back the experience bumps they put in a few years ago. At least they should if they want this server to last a while.