PDA

View Full Version : A Call for advice SK Pally or War?

Maxwell SH
02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorry to create a new thread guys, promise i'll back down as soon as I can get things underway. But I like to ask around and get others opinions before I make my choice.

I played original EQ a long time way back when and am excited to have an opportunity to do it again.

To start, this is my impression of each class as I remember and understand it.

ShadowKnight- Warrior/Necro blend. Fun class to play and makes a great tank for normal groups with the strong ability to keep aggro. However it is a popular class on this server and there seems to be more of them than the other three.

Paladin- Lesser played class on this server. Warrior/cleric blend with lulls and stuns that make for easier pulling and aggro building. They also make a fine group tank.

Warrior- The long haul class with ultimate payoff in the end. They're largely under loved until they hit raiding in which they become the perfect tanks for high end content. Though they can be alittle less fun to play given that they have no spells.

My situation will most likely be leveling up with a group of friends and whoever else is LFG. I'll have a cleric and possibly a chanter at my side and I will be filling the role of tank. I do not plan to become some big shot tank in a guild and doubtfully would even have the time to be an important guild tank. For this reason I am leaning away from the warrior. (even tho I'd love to be a barbarian again)

So between the Pally and the SK they're both pretty good classes and wouldn't have the same kind of end game responsibility of the warrior. I'm drawn to the Paladin as I hate to be the "popular" class, esp. on a lower population server with a tight knit need for more diversity. But I seem to remember being paired with a Cleric as a paladin does have its downsides as your cleric buddy's spells will always override yours.

So I guess a quick question would be... Is there really a lack of paladins compared to SK's ? Do they function about as well as a group tank? Is there a need for Paladins at all or would a Warrior be a better choice for the server?

Thanks for any and all advice guys. Promise I'll be done making threads after this ^_^

Droxx
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Something to keep in mind about paladins: They end up with the same heal as druids and shamans pre-kunark. That comes in really handy.

Maxwell SH
02-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh yeah? You might need to refresh my memory on what the difference is.

I checked out the Pally spell compilation and Greater heal was the only one that jumped out at me but I remember clerics get that at 24. Which one are you referring to?

Ghordo
02-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Play what you want. Stop taking the fun out of the game by asking for cookie cutter details. No offense man.

Maxwell SH
02-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh no worries, no offense taken. Its easy to ruin these games by min maxing one's stats and stuff like that.

Just making sure I make the right decision for me and my group before I invest hours upon hours into the game. :D

Sloth
02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
I'd go for paladin, as it seems there are a LOT of SK's now. However, I am a SK and I have a lot of fun with it. Warriors just don't cut it unless they are twinked out in the early levels, and end up being pretty useless. But at endgame they are the best tanks.

Danth
02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Just pick whichever of the two you like better. The *rest* of the group usually isn't going to care whether you're a Paladin or a Shadow Knight.

Shadow Knights are likely popular because they tend to maintain marginally better solo efficiency than the other tanks, though nothing like that of solo-oriented classes.

Danth