PDA

View Full Version : SOE advertises for Project 1999

beaon
02-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

So I just finished setting up my EQEMU client specifically for project 1999. The story goes as follows, SOE sends me an email about a classic progression server.

I do some research on it, and their own internal documentation has various discrepancies which cause me to get frustrated. For example, I received a few weeks of free playing as enticement to come back and play on Fippy, however fippy isn't even live yet. Even though the add tells me to go login! Come to find out Fippy won't be live for several days yet!

Furthermore SOE did a terrible job of posting any press related to the progression server. I couldn't even google to find anything really useful on the everquest main site. The most abundant information about the server came buried from within the official EQ forums. Apparently I have to parse through a mountain of unorganized posts to get any information about the progression server.

Well thats when it hit me. All this googling about Fippy somehow lead me to a link on project 1999. Here I am like, wtf is this? So I did even MORE research, and come to find out, SOE's progression server isn't really classic EQ(This is all I ever wanted). It's just the current codebase, with all of the game-altering enhancements, only with the expansions pushed back. So I read up on project 1999, I see the goals here were similar to that of eqclassic.org, though without pedantic and unnecessary attention to detail that keeps the project from ever getting realized, much to my dissapointment.

So I am thrilled to say that in less then a day of finding project 1999 I've already logged in, if only to confirm that my EQEMU client works, and that I can enjoy the server. I am so overwhelmingly excited I can't wait until the next day that I can play.

I hope the community is filled with a positive vibe, and the administration is level headed enough!

So as it turns out, SOE sent me to you! :) Ironic isn't it.

I noticed that people have mentioned that there are plenty of hybrid classes already, but not many DPS classes. However other people mentioned that it might be best to get a soloing class at the moment. I'd like to play something that isn't overly used at the moment, though leveling up a tank or healer is somewhat difficult with 2boxing being restricted and all. How easy is it to get a group?

bounky37
02-14-2011, 03:10 PM
You shall not be dissapointed.

xshayla701
02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Hahaha that's awesome.

I would say druids, mages, and necros are probably the most popular classes played. Melee DPS are harder to come by than caster DPS. Bards/Shamans are underplayed, iirc. If you play enchanter well, roll one here since there can never be enough GOOD enchanters. They are OP atm. It's not that hard to get a group as a cleric/tank though, since they are always needed, especially during offpeak hours. Hope that helps a bit.

But as anyone will tell you, play what you like the best.

chtulu
02-14-2011, 03:12 PM
shayla, we should hook up.

beaon
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
I played as a druid back in 2000, I loved that guy. So perhaps I'll roll as a bard. I can add to the DPS stock of the server, while keeping a certain level of utility that druids get to enjoy. :)

Plus I can't stand not being able to travel quickly!

Marcalus
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Based on my few hours of play so far (level 4 wizard now) I don't think grouping is going to be a problem. I'm currently making the trek from Steamfont over to Freeport, with a layover in Kalimdor. Zone populations have been pretty dang healthy, considering it's the middle of the workday on a Monday. I expect that the high single digit/into the teens scene around Freeport/Ro/Commonlands will be jumping.

Kassel
02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the server, Yes it is a fun as you remember.

Marcalus
02-14-2011, 03:20 PM
And yes, I'm here because while I love my raiding in WoW, I miss that ol' EQ feeling. (played starting in 2001). My buddy and I are going to check Progression out, but the new stuff might kill it for me. I'm having a blast with my uber cracked staff and will definitely be hanging out here when not downing bosses in Azeroth (or doing Scout things with my son or other family thangs)

beaon
02-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the server, Yes it is a fun as you remember.

Yay! This is effectively going to rip me off of minecraft.

Marcalus
02-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Yay! This is effectively going to rip me off of minecraft.

hey now, don't be hating on the MC. I've got a small private server that my kids and a few work friends play on and it's pretty dang fun. Creeper is gonna creep!

Look me up in game here if you need some nukage, character name is Morlar.

And good luck and good hunting!

Striiker
02-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the server! You are in for a treat! This server is as old-school as you're ever going to find. As others have noted; you'll laugh at the feeling of joy when you make your first kill against a cracked staff wielding mob.. Heck, I was thrilled to see rusty weapons drop so that I could sell them to the vendors in order to be able to afford a backpack and spells!

I would also like to remind all to donate if you can! I treat this server as if it were a commercial server and donate the usual amount monthly.

beaon
02-14-2011, 03:29 PM
hey now, don't be hating on the MC. I've got a small private server that my kids and a few work friends play on and it's pretty dang fun. Creeper is gonna creep!

Look me up in game here if you need some nukage, character name is Morlar.

And good luck and good hunting!

Thanks Marcalus! Yea I love me some MC! :) I'll add you to my friends, TY Sir! Hopefully before long I'll be at a level where I can contribute some DPS!

ElanoraBryght
02-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the server!
There's a lot of love for eq here. A healthy population of trolls too, but it is a fantasy game - if you stay out of RnF you'll rarely have to shake your cracked staff at them.
Send me a tell in game if you have any questions :)

Orov
02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

So I just finished setting up my EQEMU client specifically for project 1999. The story goes as follows, SOE sends me an email about a classic progression server.

I do some research on it, and their own internal documentation has various discrepancies which cause me to get frustrated. For example, I received a few weeks of free playing as enticement to come back and play on Fippy, however fippy isn't even live yet. Even though the add tells me to go login! Come to find out Fippy won't be live for several days yet!

Furthermore SOE did a terrible job of posting any press related to the progression server. I couldn't even google to find anything really useful on the everquest main site. The most abundant information about the server came buried from within the official EQ forums. Apparently I have to parse through a mountain of unorganized posts to get any information about the progression server.

Well thats when it hit me. All this googling about Fippy somehow lead me to a link on project 1999. Here I am like, wtf is this? So I did even MORE research, and come to find out, SOE's progression server isn't really classic EQ(This is all I ever wanted). It's just the current codebase, with all of the game-altering enhancements, only with the expansions pushed back. So I read up on project 1999, I see the goals here were similar to that of eqclassic.org, though without pedantic and unnecessary attention to detail that keeps the project from ever getting realized, much to my dissapointment.

So I am thrilled to say that in less then a day of finding project 1999 I've already logged in, if only to confirm that my EQEMU client works, and that I can enjoy the server. I am so overwhelmingly excited I can't wait until the next day that I can play.

I hope the community is filled with a positive vibe, and the administration is level headed enough!

So as it turns out, SOE sent me to you! :) Ironic isn't it.

I noticed that people have mentioned that there are plenty of hybrid classes already, but not many DPS classes. However other people mentioned that it might be best to get a soloing class at the moment. I'd like to play something that isn't overly used at the moment, though leveling up a tank or healer is somewhat difficult with 2boxing being restricted and all. How easy is it to get a group?

As has been said welcome to P99. Ignore the forum community as everyone seems much nicer in game. Good luck and happy hunting!

DevGrousis
02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
As has been said welcome to P99. Ignore the forum community as everyone seems much nicer in game. Good luck and happy hunting!

thumbs up ^^^

welcome!

/tell Devnn in game if ya need anything!

Darian
02-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Based on my few hours of play so far (level 4 wizard now) I don't think grouping is going to be a problem. I'm currently making the trek from Steamfont over to Freeport, with a layover in KALADIM. Zone populations have been pretty dang healthy, considering it's the middle of the workday on a Monday. I expect that the high single digit/into the teens scene around Freeport/Ro/Commonlands will be jumping.

I done fixed that for ya

Marcalus
02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I done fixed that for ya

Thanks. It seemed wrong.

beaon
02-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. :)

hedbonker
02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome aboard. Holler if you need a rez :)

Gorgetrapper
02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Stay away from the rants and flames section of the forums, otherwise you won't enjoy your stay here. Unless you're into that sort of thing.

Orov
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
thumbs up ^^^

welcome!

/tell Devnn in game if ya need aids!

Fixed. Don't lie Devnn.

Icaro
02-14-2011, 07:52 PM
The community is simply great! Be sure to spread the word among your friends now.

stormlord
02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Yay! This is effectively going to rip me off of minecraft.LOL. I got a little bored of p1999 a while back. Nothing in particular. I get bored of every MMO i play for a month or two at most. I've played p1999/peq/entropiauniverse/ddo/old single-player rpgs/etc off and on for more than a year. And now I"m getting interested in Minecraft. I just mentioned it in another post. Funny you should mention it here because I was just thinking about it a second ago.

No this is not an advertisement for minecraft. I just came over to these forums from reading the forums over on eqplayers. I was reading about fippy and thot i'd come here to see what everyone has to say about it. I suspect that this server will both lose and gain players from this sequence of events. Once kunark releases and the world grows by ample amounts I think that'll pull a lot of people back that have grown tired of the small feeling of the current world, especially at 50. I understand where they're coming from but that's not the reason I'm not playing. I have a million reasons why I get bored of mmorpgs after a month or so.

Not surprising that I get bored with games. I've played eq1 off and on for way too long and I get bored too easy with things. In this game I just get bored of doing and seeing similar thigns. In DDO I got bored of being rushed by groups to do things in a way that wasn't fun. In fact, in DDO, I kinda liked soloing because the content really grabbed me, but the same effect was absent in groups. In Entropia I got bored of sweating for defense skill. In peq I got bored of pushing my system to its limits to box and do content i've alreayd done a million tiimes. And the old games I play I've played before. Minecraft looks just right to me, it's something new!

But p1999, it's awesome. I can't imagine how it's for someone that has never seen it b4. I suspect some people will get turned off by the grindy nature of it, but you know, some people don't like quest chains and fast leveling and overbloated interfaces and overuse of instances. I'm exaggerating somewhat, as even I have played games with instances and quest-chains, but I can admit here straight out that I hate quest-driven games (one example is planescape: torment) and this seems to be a common thing in many current mmorpgs. I like to do what I want to do. I like to make my own goals and be different. I hate being herded. There'll always be someone interested in a game like this so long as it's mostly new to them. p1999 isn't perfect by a long shot - that's partly why i get bored of it because it's lacking - but offers something only p1999 can claim.

karsten
02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
i heartily recommend visiting rants and flames numerous times per day to maximize your immersion

redghosthunter
02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
WELCOME TO THE FAMILY , YA going to grow some skin son... some skin

girth
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
shayla, we should hook up.

Yeah that's not creepy...

Don't you have a girl in that pic you posted? I guess that's your sister then?

Messianic
02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah that's not creepy...

Don't you have a girl in that pic you posted? I guess that's your sister then?

I certainly hope not, given he clearly stated it was his g/f in the same thread...

skipdog
02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
I found this server because of the TLP Progression server announcement as well. I tried logging into live but I didn't realize all the ridiculous things that have changed that make the game way too easy. It's just not everquest like it should be. That led me to project 1999 where I first made a character about 11 days ago.

I've been absolutely astounded at the generosity of the community. I've made lots of friends and have been in so many groups with so many awesome people. From what I've seen, it looks like finding groups shouldn't be a problem all the way up to 50!!

I won't be hopping on the new progression server. In fact, I have a couple friends who will be creating characters here on p99 soon(and all 3 of us LAN a lot at 3 different locations, so hopefully that won't be a major pain to get approved). I don't plan on leaving this place... can't wait til Kunark!!!

beaon
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Today is the first block of time I'll have to login, and after reading Nillblog's post on VP I am so overwhelmingly excited to start leveling! Soon as I get out of the gym, assuming no speeding ticket, I'll be racing home!

CHusk2
02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Welcome!

Whichever class you choose to play, you will be appreciated. Except if you party with a particularly pretentious duo i've seen hanging around. I've never really had a problem finding groups, especially at 20+ so I think you'll be alright, especially if you play a DPS class.

Have an excellent stay in Norrath!

Ropethunder
02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Never enough *good* cc/pulling bards or rogues, I think.

beaon
02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Ok so last night was fairly productive. I am now level 3(Longest level 2 ever!). I have a backpack, some kind of other 8 slot bag(A case of some sort?) and a small bag! Now I can begin to make the big bucks!

My Avatar's name is "Mises" if anyone is interested. Are there any good guilds out there that cater to folks of my level?

neverquest
08-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Hahaha that's awesome.

But as anyone will tell you, play what you like the best.:p

Nagash
08-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Welcome home :)

SyanideGas
08-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Welcome to P99 mate! Shoot me a tell ingame if you need anything.Names in the sig :)

Atmas
08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Neverquest = Necroquest