PDA

View Full Version : multi-boxing

beaon
02-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

So I am new to the community. Not wanting to start anything inflammatory, I have been looking around trying to find the reasoning why multi-boxing is restricted. I know that it is (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1057), but it's not stated why.

Does anyone have a link to a post or discussion that explains in more detail the reasoning for this restriction?

I'm not interested in getting into a dispute with anyone about this so if somehow this thread escalates into something beyond informative, I'll probably just abandon it and start another more productive thread.

Kassel
02-14-2011, 03:07 PM
So people group.

beaon
02-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Duh, that actually makes a lot of sense.

I could see how people 2boxing further impedes the ability of sharing maximum exposure of the worlds content. If a single person is taking a camp for example, he is effectively barring other individuals from enjoying the same camp simply because the original single person is multi-boxing. So you go from a situation where many can enjoy a single resource, to one person only enjoying the resource.

Not sure why I never thought of this. That in and of itself is more then sufficient reasoning for me, is there anything else?

Samuel
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Not allowing people to multi-box eliminates the people who can and will box 3,4,5, even 20 characters at a time. With no subscription cost and an old game, it is very easy for anyone to box many characters. If you've played any of the other Emu servers (I've only played EZserver) you can see what I mean. There are people on there that box like 20 characters and have no need to group or guild etc.

While it would be nice to be able to play at least two characters it certainly isn't necessary. This limitation has made this a great community to play with.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy yourself.

Ele
02-14-2011, 04:04 PM
so clerics are actually used as mains?

Messianic
02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
so clerics are actually used as mains?

Yep.

Gorgetrapper
02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
I also like seeing a more "true" number of players on, instead of looking at a server of 800 "players" and realizing there are only an actual like 300-400 on.

Odeseus
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
What Samuel said. I 2 or 3 boxed on live all the time. I basically was my own group (SK, sham and necro) and rarely joined a PUG. As technology got better, I could have boxed many more if I had the money for subs.

Also, 2boxing was pretty rare in classic. Everquest took alot of computer power (for the time) and trying to 2box on dial up *shudder* So 2boxing isn't allowed to more accurately reproduce the classic experience.

DevGrousis
02-14-2011, 06:37 PM
I suppose the early server population might have warranted an argument for allowing multi boxing, but with this many players, there isn't any reason why anyone would want to 2 box. if thats the case then start your own server and play by yourself imo.

Icaro
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I didn't understand yet why people join a multiplayer game like this to play by themselves.

Lazortag
02-14-2011, 07:52 PM
If multi-boxing were allowed, I can't imagine how crazy the raid scene would be. In a bad way.

gnomishfirework
02-15-2011, 07:42 AM
On the combine server my friend played a chanter, cleric, Mage, and I was a warrior and shaman.

We pretty much just rolled through shit. We'd take another person and since only one melee class, they wouldn't even realize they were playing with two people.