PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Warriors/Tanks?

Arclyte
02-17-2011, 07:50 PM
So been playing this here video game for about a week now. I'm surprised at how close to classic it actually is, what with the old zones/models. Really good job, having fun.

Anyway, I've leveled a rogue to 12 and wiz to 9, leaning more towards liking the wiz, and have seen a grand total of 1 SKs, 1 Warrior, and 1 Paladin tank. Almost every group I've been in hasn't had a tank.

Whats the deal? I'm considering rolling a troll war myself just to fill the gaps and spend my 80p on large bronze armor.

Harrison
02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
There is no more lack of tanks like there was a year ago or so.

Wizards are actually pretty damned rare.

Gorgetrapper
02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
The problem, is that most people don't like playing a non-twinked tank, so they twink it, and then plvl themselves as fast as possible.

Psionide
02-17-2011, 08:16 PM

SHHHHHHHHHHHH :P

gnomishfirework
02-18-2011, 01:56 AM
The problem, is that most people don't like playing a non-twinked tank, so they twink it, and then plvl themselves as fast as possible.

This. Getting to 9, 15 as paladin sk kind of sucks if you don't at least get a good weapon.

StinkyGreenBud
02-18-2011, 02:42 AM

Lets keep it that way.

Dantes
02-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Certainly not tonight. fucking 4 hours of LFG. I really wish I had a time machine so I could just punch myself in the balls for 4 hours instead. It would have been more fun.

Icaro
02-18-2011, 03:26 AM
In the high 20s there are no tanks around.

Lazortag
02-18-2011, 03:39 AM
In the high 20s there are no tanks around.

Not even substitute tanks (Bards, Monks, Rangers (lol), mage pets)?

Spewys
02-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Wow.. I started war with no twinks. What a long process to get up to 50! That was my first EQ toon and it has been a love hate relationship! Don't recall never finding groups. If your not that geared, and u have friends, they will want u for being a good toon!

50 War ---- Spewys Dutchmaster ---- Peace Pipe

karsten
02-18-2011, 04:03 AM
1. you dont really need a tank to have a functional group. i've mentioned this in other threads -- it requires some improvisation, but if you're bright, you can easily make it work.

2. sitting for 4 hours lfg is terrible and although it could be the case that you are lazy and need to be more proactive, i imagine it is also possible that due to there not being serverwide ooc anymore, it's harder to get the word out in order to find groups. Possibly a bit of both

Gylthanas
02-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Even though there is no serverwide OOC, there is /w all LFG, /w all lvl lvl class lfg etc.

So if people use it, it should be easy to get together.

shuklak
02-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Even though there is no serverwide OOC, there is /w all LFG, /w all lvl lvl class lfg etc.

So if people use it, it should be easy to get together.
maybe it would be a good idea to promote that knowledge... like with server MOTD's.

Omnimorph
02-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Well it is classic to be frustrating at times, i mean we all remember /telling 4 or 5 people to come to sola and group, only to have all but the healer show up, and then you're sort of limited, frantically looking for a healer, who then takes like an hour to show up, and by that time you lose 2 other members etc.

Best way to combat being lfg is to find the most popular zone for your level range (1-10, newbie zone soloing should suffice) 10-20 places like oasis are usually packed, then 20-30 sola, uguk, mm, unrest, these places will have groups going.

Course there are nights when just nothing happens.

There is generally a lack of tanks, but that's because warriors suck without proper weapons, SK's and pallies have horrible hybrid exp penalties. Why cope with this when your mage has a minimal penalty and can rape stuff without even looking.

SwordNboard
02-18-2011, 06:44 AM
then 20-30 sola, uguk, mm, unrest

Instant 25% chance of going to the right zone. Being the biggest part of the reason why the OP is having issues?

karsten
02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
i made 80% of my groups from 1-50, with a much smaller player base as well as pool to pull from because i would boot crappy players and yell at them afterwards.

So, although I do understand that the circumstances are different in some ways, I am still getting the feeling that youre just not being proactive enough

Bruno
02-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Pre 24 you shouldn't be having a hard time getting a group as a tank what so ever. Gfay, CB, EC, NRO, and Oasis are flooded with lowbies leveling new characters. Sometimes it takes a little initiative to get something going, because there are probably a hand full of other people waiting for something to happen as well.

From there most people head to upper guk. There are always high teens willing to travel a couple of zones away for that extra exp bonus, and usually a constant flow of people lfg to replace the ones who inevitably leave as soon as you get there. If you're in the gfay area, or don't want to take the frog faction hit, head to Unrest.

If your weapon is terrible, kill some stuff for a little and get like 100p, that will be sufficient enough to get you a solid weapon in EC.

Ropethunder
02-18-2011, 07:53 AM
As a warrior I make it my business to find and make very good friends with a small group of people and then try to always group with them for safe and reliable exp.

So some warriors are just more recluse than others, I suppose. :)

Omnimorph
02-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Instant 25% chance of going to the right zone. Being the biggest part of the reason why the OP is having issues?

If these zones were all empty except for 1 then yeah... but normally there's at least a few players in these zones. Before deciding which zone to go lfg in /who all soldunga, guktop etc. will give you an idea.

If you want a group bad enough you'll get one. Either by making it yourself or going wherever the people are. Factors include your play time and how long you've got, but if you've only got an hour, i doubt you're gonna be able to do too much with your time.

shuklak
02-18-2011, 11:01 AM
my oldschool warrior friend used to solo a lot... bind wound lol.

Spewys
02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah Karsten is right. Got to be proactive.. Won't happen on its own!

50 war ---- Spewys Dutchmaster ---- Peace Pipe

Arclyte
02-18-2011, 12:15 PM
On the one hand there's the thought of being a big ugly bastard covered in plate armor with arguably the best defensive stats in the game. On the other hand, there's the mind-numbing reality of nothing but auto attack/kick for 50 levels. Ugh.

I think I'll stick with the wizard for now. I stopped playing at the end of luclin and remember liking my 54 wizard a lot.

Mardur
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
my oldschool warrior friend used to solo a lot... bind wound lol.

Soloing is still super viable even as a warrior.

stonebeard22
02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
My trick is, if someone else plays good and they are a healer I friend them, Same for enchanters. So I always have a huge friends list of people online. I ask those people if they have openings in their groups and go join them or make my own group with them. Always easy to find DPS and as I out level people I drop them off my friends list after about 3-4 levels.

Thetruth
02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
i made 80% of my groups from 1-50, with a much smaller player base as well as pool to pull from because i would boot crappy players and yell at them afterwards.

So, although I do understand that the circumstances are different in some ways, I am still getting the feeling that youre just not being proactive enough

The truth is,

So your the asshole that helped create the other guilds like TMO, Vesica DEi. Those poor booted players!

DevGrousis
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM
There is generally a lack of tanks, but that's because warriors suck without proper weapons, SK's and pallies have horrible hybrid exp penalties. Why cope with this when your mage has a minimal penalty and can rape stuff without even looking.

THIS. i hate that damn xp penalty. i LOVE the paladin i started on this server i got him to 18 and was just so sad at how slow the experience was :( forced me to quit him, until the penalty is dropped then i will be right back on him :D

DevGrousis
02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
On the one hand there's the thought of being a big ugly bastard covered in plate armor with arguably the best defensive stats in the game. On the other hand, there's the mind-numbing reality of nothing but auto attack/kick for 50 levels. Ugh.

I think I'll stick with the wizard for now. I stopped playing at the end of luclin and remember liking my 54 wizard a lot.

lol like Wizard is anymore interesting. if there is a cloth version of the warrior i'd have to say wizards get that one lol. nuke sit. nuke sit. nuke sit. haha makes warrior seem fun to me

Psionide
02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
^^^^^^
Seriously, when you dumb it down like that you can make any class seem like that. Every class in this game is just about clicking buttons so yeah

Spewys
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
The truth is,

So your the asshole that helped create the other guilds like TMO, Vesica DEi. Those poor booted players!

Ohhhh... Your a total hater:-)

Akame
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Tanks aren't rare, but I'd say that tanks who are playing their first character are. My war is my main and it wasn't my first character, I deliberately got a druid up a little first so I could farm enough plat to buy the warrior's first set of proc'ing weapons and some plate. The big deal is getting 1-15 on the tank, if you can do that, it should be relatively smooth sailing into the 30's before you need to start taking a closer look at gear. No one expects a 15 ish tank to be able to out aggro the monk in the group, but by the 30's you should start being able to be responsible for knowing your class. Summary, a little prep work and determination goes a long way.

As for finding groups and lfg for four hours, be proactive, when I log on, I locate every group lead sitting at every camp that I want to be tanking at and ask to be put on the list, I get about a 30% return rate in tells, because people forget or invite their friends, but that's 30% more group invites because I got on the list than just sitting lfg waiting for someone to find me. You do this often enough, save the good ones to your friends list, and play your class well enough and you start getting tells as soon as you log on checking if you are up for a hunt or not. Invest time and effort and you reap the benefits.

Messianic
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
lol like Wizard is anymore interesting. if there is a cloth version of the warrior i'd have to say wizards get that one lol. nuke sit. nuke sit. nuke sit. haha makes warrior seem fun to me

That's only the case up to mid-20s, when quad kiting becomes worth it (I got better exp 20-24 gating to EC and getting clarity, gating back to NK and nuking single mobs than I did attempting to full-speed quad with pillar of fire).

But yeah, it's basically nuke nuke nuke, sit up to then. After that, it's a freaking blast...As long as you know the right spots.

Dantes
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah yeah... blah blah blah be proactive. Mind you, before I posted my rant there I logged on, shouted LFG in solB. Went /LFG. Did a CC, sent tells to people in those camps to ask if I could be added to the list. Went to Kith and tried to start a pickup group, only to have a bunch of plevelers show up right as I was starting to send tells to ask people to come group. Then I ran to lguk, shouted LFG there. I was /lfg the entire time. How's that for productivity? The LFG list had very few people on it, some folks I don't care to group with.

So I ended up porting to Toxx, went into Paineel and did some duo with a necro on the guards for a while. Maybe I exaggerated the "4 hours of LFG," it's more like 4 hours of NOT being in an ideal exp group. I think I gained like half a yellow in that 4 hours, woo freakin hoo.

Anyway, my point is, don't just assume you can start a warrior/tank and group invites will fall like rain. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. Sometimes you'll get right into a group, other times you'll get a sliver of experience after being logged in for 4 hours. That's the realistic life of the Warrior.

Akame
02-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah yeah... blah blah blah be proactive. Mind you, before I posted my rant there I logged on, shouted LFG in solB. Went /LFG. Did a CC, sent tells to people in those camps to ask if I could be added to the list. Went to Kith and tried to start a pickup group, only to have a bunch of plevelers show up right as I was starting to send tells to ask people to come group. Then I ran to lguk, shouted LFG there. I was /lfg the entire time. How's that for productivity? The LFG list had very few people on it, some folks I don't care to group with.

So I ended up porting to Toxx, went into Paineel and did some duo with a necro on the guards for a while. Maybe I exaggerated the "4 hours of LFG," it's more like 4 hours of NOT being in an ideal exp group. I think I gained like half a yellow in that 4 hours, woo freakin hoo.

Anyway, my point is, don't just assume you can start a warrior/tank and group invites will fall like rain. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. Sometimes you'll get right into a group, other times you'll get a sliver of experience after being logged in for 4 hours. That's the realistic life of the Warrior.

You just need to be more awesome Dantes.

( :D )

philbertpk
02-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Hit the Steelwaffle for SK tank. lvl 15 right now.

teganyavo
02-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Certainly not tonight. fucking 4 hours of LFG. I really wish I had a time machine so I could just punch myself in the balls for 4 hours instead. It would have been more fun.

find a camp, build a group

i mean it sounds overstated but that's how i did it. there are good camps that stay open, you just have to look for them

Dantes
02-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Read the thread.

teganyavo
02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I did? it's still good advice

(Hint: lower guk live keep)

DetroitVelvetSmooth
02-24-2011, 02:14 AM
I did? it's still good advice

(Hint: lower guk live keep)

Heh, I know at least 2 people who will never trust me to tank at that camp ever again...

runlvlzero
02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
There is also a ton of attrition of good players who just don't want to put up with stupid groups in the tank department. I posted before on this but tanks are the most important members of your group nexto healers and pullers, so listen to them and treat them with tender love and respect, and if they suck teach them, don't let them get away with crappy habbits.

Furthermore those good players just roll a druid or mage and twink a tank for their guild later on, or have friends in a guild who just plvl them to 50.

But by no means do you even need a tank to get to 50 with any class or group combinations in this game, tanks are for dungeons, and even then you can do stuff like CT gators with just a mage and healer. So try duoing more. or Trios'

azeth
02-24-2011, 12:14 PM
so listen to them and treat them with tender love and respect, and if they suck teach them, don't let them get away with crappy habbits.

i approve of this message. Grouping and raiding to me, are situations that require someone to step up and lead, often the puller, often the tank, sometimes the healer. If you find that your tank is disatisfied with some group functionality, pay attention. If they're wrong, teach them.

EverQuest is what you make of it - be proactive communicating with your group and raid, be proactive getting your group together and if you aren't, don't cry when things don't go well. Back in the day, as a rogue leveling up (in 2000), I'd for real send tells to every class I wanted in my group that was online @ an appropriate level range and either in my zone or obviously not camping something with a different group.

Spewys
02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Great post Azeth!!! It's all pretty obvious. Or is it?

L50 War Spewys Dutchmaster