PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember the BB Goblin Exploit on Classic?

Zaphyer
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
2002. Some of you may of not been playing around this time period. I remember doing this alot until they nerfed it. It wasnt a bug or anything
so you didn't get in trouble even though you could make, i believe it was
a few hundred platinum per hour.

All you did was kill the aqua goblins on the docks of Butcher block and they
dropped something everytime that sold for somewhere in the range of 15-25p
and they would respawn in 5-10 minutes. Once word got out people
started lining up to camp these guys. That was until they patched it, and the
zone became generally dead

Shocore
02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
It wasn't really an exploit, just high sell prices on items that were trivial to get.

But yes, I spent my fair share of time at those camps... and got /tells every 5-10 minutes asking how long I'd be, hehe.

guineapig
02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I remember it. Didn't have to be the docks though, there weer also 2-3 camps of them to the left of the docks along the shoreline.

It was because of the backbones and Tibias that they added for the newbi armor quests. They dropped pretty commonly and were worth a few platinum each. That combined with the fact that there are multiple merchants extremely close to these camps made it a bit too lucrative for mobs as low as levels 9-11.

Of course seeing that kind of platinum on such a low level mob isn't unheard of (whisps with GLS come to mind). But these types of mobs tend to be roamers, not in one camp and the valuable drop tends to be rare.

I remember finding out about this pretty late and I only spent maybe an hour or two there on an alt.

guineapig
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
In hindsight I can see what their intent was, to make a viable newbi market for armor quest components, but puting these items on static spawns is what was the big mistake. Their value could have stayed if these were less common roaming mobs throughout BB.