PDA

View Full Version : Biggest punch in the face class to start (pre lvl 20)

Gatorsmash
07-19-2017, 09:29 AM
This question came to me leveling my enchanter, which pre lvl 16 even with some twink gear was a real punch in the face. So which class do people think is just brutalizing prior to level 20 when the class starts to feel like it will in later levels?

Edit- I thought my SK way back in the day on live might have been brutal but think the enchanter is actually worse

dude
07-19-2017, 09:39 AM
my monk is so painful he will never see 20 im sure of it. went from 9 to 10 about thousand times, I think its back at 9th level again.

Samoht
07-19-2017, 09:40 AM
This question came to me leveling my enchanter, which pre lvl 16 even with some twink gear was a real punch in the face.

You're doing it wrong. The Enchanter line of animation pets is extremely OP. And you get a new one every 4 levels! This lasts until you get charm at 12 which is even more OP.

Warrior is definitely harder because you can't tank at all unless things are rooted.

branamil
07-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Gotta go with wiz. Can barely solo blues with no twink gear and if you do, will take all your mana. I hope you have a hobby you can do while you med for 5 minutes between kills

skarlorn
07-19-2017, 10:33 AM
You're doing it wrong. The Enchanter line of animation pets is extremely OP. And you get a new one every 4 levels! This lasts until you get charm at 12 which is even more OP.

Warrior is definitely harder because you can't tank at all unless things are rooted.

This. People need to learn that the strat of playing an ENC pre level 16 is much different. Even 1 - 12 is way different before you get charm. Enchanter has dank pets, fears, DOTs, nukes... you just gotta get creative.

Loke
07-19-2017, 10:37 AM
1-20 is a weird range, because for a significant chunk of that time classes are pretty similar. Around 10 spells and skills start to differentiate classes more, but a lot of classes don't really come into their own until the 20s.

Solo, I'd probably say rogue. All the caster classes get some sort of help from their spells, be it buffs, heals between fights, pulling with a nuke/dot, etc. Monks get dual wield at 1 and warriors get zerker. Rogues on the other hand are pretty gimp until they get backstab and dual wield, which is 12 iirc, so over half the level range you're talking about.

Lhancelot
07-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Cleric was pretty slow for me, I solo a lot and found soloing on lowbie cleric quite painful. Wizard also is awful, as stated above.

I took my wizard and burned through 1-29 purely via quests so I avoided that nightmare.

maskedmelonpai
07-19-2017, 11:10 AM

this true and extraordinarily unclassic. chanter pets were terribad in 1999. you cast you shallow breath which you think a dot as you little sword and shield run up to the Orc and POOF! it gone. that how it went. here, you let all beefed to L and back.

Erazmus
07-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Wizard.

dude
07-19-2017, 11:41 AM
yeah wizard was tough only because mine had under 100hp until he was 30 or so. the trick i found was not to get hit.

Tecmos Deception
07-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Rogue. Solo is horrible. You need a tank or you get crushed, but all tanks suck until 9 and most suck past 20. Your damage is bad. Your sneak and hide aren't even reliable yet. 1-9 rogue is like a shaman but with worse tanking, worse weapon choices, and no spells. And then 10-20 you're still worse tanking and no spells but with 25 damage backstabs IF youve got someone else tanking. Lol.

I strongly disagree that 1-20 is similar for everyone though. Chanters, necros, druids, clerics all have quite a few useful and powerful spells before 20, even if they can't be used in quite the same way they are later on. Other casters get by. Melees have it rough.

I mean, chanters get a pet at 1 that eats shit alive, their early dots are strong, and by 16 they have basically their full lineup of spells (though many are less useful at 16 than at 40+). Necros have their full array of dot dps spells at 12, snare, fear, etc, and feign at 16. Clerics have nice hp and ac buffs and undead nukes (and decent normal nukes) by 14. Druids' 2 DSs at 9 hit as hard as the average melee swat from a blue con. Etc.

Wizards relative to other untwinked noobs are vastly underestimated imo. They can kill single blues safely solo; not fast but better than trying to solo as a rogue or warrior or something at 10-20. They have invis, root, stuns. Their nukes actually hit fucking hard compared to backstabs and mob hp pools. They're worse off than other casters (except sham maybe?), but they definitely aren't the worst 1-20 experience.

skarlorn
07-19-2017, 01:34 PM
i actually had a lot of fun on my ALS rogue from 10+ Once I got backstab i was p much cruising. Crafted banded then made a fortune off bandits and wisps. gotta know how to face/backstab though.

Tecmos Deception
07-19-2017, 01:40 PM
i actually had a lot of fun on my ALS rogue from 10+ Once I got backstab i was p much cruising. Crafted banded then made a fortune off bandits and wisps. gotta know how to face/backstab though.

I never managed to get the hang of that, haha.

maskedmelonpai
07-19-2017, 01:47 PM
I never managed to get the hang of that, haha.

it an illicit technique practiced by only the most experienced rogues. it referred to in dark circles as "the roguish reach-around." just reach you arm round as they lean forward and stick 'em at that moment. i not really mastered it neither :c

Lhancelot
07-19-2017, 01:48 PM

Rogue is way easier than wizard for sure.

You can buy a crystalline spider fang for 150pp now takes 2 hours to get the plat for that. Once you got a decent weapon, you shred mobs so easy. Groups also always like rogues.

Wizard is complete opposite. Wizard spends 5 minutes medding to shred 1 mob, wizard is hated by groups, and wizard takes more money to gear well if you want a decent mana pool.

Vallanor
07-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Rogue is way easier than wizard for sure.

You can buy a crystalline spider fang for 150pp now takes 2 hours to get the plat for that. Once you got a decent weapon, you shred mobs so easy. Groups also always like rogues.

Wizard is complete opposite. Wizard spends 5 minutes medding to shred 1 mob, wizard is hated by groups, and wizard takes more money to gear well if you want a decent mana pool.

I agree with all of this.

Lhancelot
07-19-2017, 02:32 PM
I agree with all of this.

Man. I got to save this post here, no one ever agrees with me! FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!!!!!! yay!!!! :D

Jimjam
07-20-2017, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure if it is still true with the changes to class dmg caps, but I bought my wizard a Lost Staff of the Scorned (http://wiki.project1999.com/Lost_Staff_of_the_Scorned) for a couple of dozen pp and found I did more dps meleeling than alting between med/nuke.

I highly recommend this weapon to any young wizards.

I still use the weapon for a manaless group port close to EC (it is click, not proc) or even finishing off mobs on 0% hp.

I found the first 3 levels on an erudite mage to be difficult. I remember having to die about 2 or 3 times against whites as soon as I rolled the character because it's dire stats meant I couldn't win 1:1 against a level 1 until I had earned a few skill ups :S.

skwayb
07-20-2017, 08:41 PM
I found the first 3 levels on an erudite mage to be difficult. I remember having to die about 2 or 3 times against whites as soon as I rolled the character because it's dire stats meant I couldn't win 1:1 against a level 1 until I had earned a few skill ups :S.
I totally agree with that. Before the mage gets a pet you die a ton. Not to mention that TOXX is a terrible starting zone.

But after the pet, the mage starts to smoke.

fugazi
07-23-2017, 04:54 AM
I voted wizard because a newbie player on an untwinked wiz aint gonna have a good time, but wizards can quad kite starting at 12 assuming they can get SoW, got lots of +mana gear and perhaps a clarity buff.

Most people seem unaware that you dont need your aoe snare to quad. You just need the right spells.

A solo untwinked rogue would probably make me bleed from my anus past lvl10, thats how rough 10 to 20 would feel.

Arakash
07-23-2017, 11:23 PM
I voted for necromancer not because it is actually harder to play at these levels than any other class, but rather because the necro is so overpowering at these levels I find myself taking chances I would not take on my wizard.

So, I end up dying more on my necro than I do on my wizard. Granted, my necro dies to yellows and reds but still I would never bother with a yellow or red with my wizard. So, my necro has caused me more frustration from my own stupidity than my paper thin wizard ever has.

Troxx
07-24-2017, 06:41 AM
Rog for the first 9 levels then wizard. Warriors come in 2nd/3rd for 9-20. Dodge parry duel wield and double attack in the teens paired with higher innate hp help them not absolutely suck ... but they really need to be working bind wound from level 2-3 which is expensive during a true classic experience where every last plat is much needed for gear. Prior to level 9, warriors have an edge on knights and rangers as they don't yet have spellbooks.

Globally for the full scope of 1-20 ... warrior vs wizard without twinking.

WITH twinking, no melee class has it rough. Fungi or ikky regen + haste + weapon is a whole 'nother brand of easy. Even without haste or regen, a cheap but good weapon, set of banded, and 2x 5ac/55hp rings (all for less than 750plat) makes life as a low level toon insanely easy compared to rocking it raw with tattered cloth and rusty weapons.

Foxplay
07-24-2017, 08:06 AM
This is toss up I think - Melee classes even warrior have 2 advantages in early levels starting fresh over the wizard. #1 Gear donations from Higher level players help them more (Simply put even crap hand me downs will make a melee way stronger early game). #2 Donated buffs are more advantageous to melee (Get thorns and hp buffs and regen? or haste tossed your way? yea these go farther on a melee toon). Sure casters have clarity but your still casting lower level spells which are only going to do so much damage - health buffs help casters too but going toe to toe as a caster is never as good as a melee. Unless your like Snapcaster and rock a primal brawl stick on a wizard =p

>1-4, No class has trouble in these levels, regardless of the nukes you have here you can stab stuff with a rusty dagger to get this far

>8 & 12, you have Fire bolt (51d:40m) and shock of lightning(83d:60) orc cent's and whatnot and dervs have mid 200 to 300ish health - so around 4 to 5 nukes, haven't leveled one but I'm guessing you should have 200ish mana by this point seems pretty double + some stabbing damage - finding spots where you can pull just one mob might be the harder part - Mana efficient wise could quad Kite this level if given SoW and clarity at the tunnel

>level 16 you have a 110dmg nuke for 75mana, (deep water caimen *a blue con to 20ish*) have 430 to 460ish health - pretty sure you will have 300ish mana + a little extra for a finishing nuke by the mid teens to painfully solo like this

That said its a lot easier for any melee to "get ahead" in the early levels by the kindness of a higher level player, 1 measly weapon from kunark or velious that is garbage to the high level player thrown to a newbie melee makes things much better for them. While they are not going to be outpacing one of the pet classes or charm classes (enc , druid, necro, magi) as early level pets and charms are just stupidly good, it will give them an easy edge over wizard

So I think wizard has it worse.... because I'm fairly certain any low level warrior running around would MOST likely get a starter weapon passed his way by the teens - These starter weapons most likely some junk from kunark but will be vastly better than most classic weapons even possible.

Baler
07-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Didn't this question just get asked last ~week

www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277463

---
No veteran p99 players levels 1-20 normally... They all do turn in quests like crushbone belts. So the answers you receive will have very little backing to them.

skarlorn
07-24-2017, 02:52 PM
I have always leveled my toons the straight up legit way.

maskedmelonpai
07-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Didn't this question just get asked last ~week

www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277463

---
No veteran p99 players levels 1-20 normally... They all do turn in quests like crushbone belts. So the answers you receive will have very little backing to them.

i don't do that. i mean if I get belts while leveling maybe I turn them in, but I equally likely to sell them :3

Majickain
07-24-2017, 10:49 PM
Rangers are the worstest class hands down!