PDA

View Full Version : Mage, Necro, and ???

Rjohnson2
08-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Have a couple friends starting, and they are starting a Mage and Necro. I was wondering what would be a good 3rd wheel? I was thinking Enchanter would be fun with them, but does anyone else have a different suggestion and reason? Thanks!

alsa
08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
a druid or shaman would be nice. regen and heals.

Nuggie
08-01-2017, 04:51 PM
enchanter for all around saving your butt utility

or

shaman for much the same reason

Loke
08-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Ench is definitely the best fit there imo. If you're looking to grind up fast, cleric wouldn't be bad either since they make leveling 50+ ez mode with CH on buffed/geared charm pets.

Pokesan
08-01-2017, 05:14 PM
hobbit

Nibblewitz
08-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Bard would be cool.

Canelek
08-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Enchanter for win. That combo can fear kite like nobody's business. Or just weaponize/mage-armor the enchanter's charmed pet to tank with the summoned pets laying down extra DPS on the snared/rooted/slowed mob.

gkmarino
08-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Have a couple friends starting, and they are starting a Mage and Necro. I was wondering what would be a good 3rd wheel? I was thinking Enchanter would be fun with them, but does anyone else have a different suggestion and reason? Thanks!
My vote goes to cleric, and if that person thinks cleric would be boring then I would instead vote enchanter or bard. Honestly a strong argument can be made for either of the three priest classes. Beware that even with cleric you will not have speedy mana regen other than adding an enchanter or bard to your group.

Cleric (heal mage pet who will hopefully tank - buffs strongly and rez exp loss situations - good dps if you hunt undead things - can be fed mana from necro in bad situations - fear while snare/fear kiting - can assist with root crowd control)

Enchanter (amazing but dangerous if the enchanter is skilled and semi-good if they are not - clarity + crowd control - charm dps - without enchanter you only have necro root and single mez - you rely on necro heals which makes saving someone more difficult it's more for hp maintenance - enchanter allows for dungeon crawl potential but you won't have the heals to back it up. You will require a healer to do more difficult content but healers like enchanters - charm dps is great - great for fear kiting outdoors provided you have necro snare)

Bard (will be amazing for utility, mana regen, health regen, speed song, charm and mez, fear/snare kite - they require a high attention to gameplay, even more than enchanter, and way more actions per minute. Beware those with potential carpal tunnel, avoid at all costs. - low DPS without a charm pet, which usually beats on them frequently in between breaks)

Maschenny
08-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Another mage would be fun. I have a fetish for full pet groups.

Darkatar
08-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Have a couple friends starting, and they are starting a Mage and Necro. I was wondering what would be a good 3rd wheel?

SECOND MAGE! Chain pets to 60!

Goddamnit ninjad by above ;(

Mead
08-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Enchanter brings a lot to the table. Slow, tash, stun, haste, rune, godly charmed pet, paci, illusion regen? (not sure if this still works haven't played a chanter in a while on p99), mez, and GRM. Necro can heal, twitch, and help cc. Mage can malo and rod.

It's not my ideal group with rookies but an advanced group of players can accomplish a lot with that setup. You guys will fail a lot but also learn a lot about this game if you stick out that comp.

Making friends with a cleric and tank isn't that hard to do around here :).

Good luck.

Lhancelot
08-01-2017, 05:56 PM
Shaman hands down. Gives mage and necro sow, buffs, heals, and slows mobs... You will be unstoppable with a shaman as the glue that keeps the party together.

Nycon43
08-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Shaman imo. Heals, SoW, Slows, another pet.

Rang
08-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Depends. Are you brand new to the server yourself? If so druid might make the most sense for that trio. Can heal and regen the pets and most importantly - can get your team to where they need to go to hunt.

Mead
08-01-2017, 06:15 PM
I agree with shaman for stability and safety. Enchanter is if you really want to enhance your group with more risk. But it's definitely not a hands down decision. It depends on what kind of challenge you're looking for here.

Lhancelot
08-01-2017, 06:23 PM
AND most important thing, go ogre bro. Ogre Shaman is UNSTOPPABLE.

Mead
08-01-2017, 06:28 PM
AND most important thing, go ogre bro. Ogre Shaman is UNSTOPPABLE.

They have shaman for other races besides ogre? Sounds like a mistake to me

Lhancelot
08-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Well. I can't confirm it, but according to other elfs on the forums other races can be shaman besides ogre. I too find it impossible to believe.

ghost182
08-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Druid better snare then necro.. regen.. buffs, heals, sow... ports... charm. Druid will shine in the places necro doesn't. In the undead dungeons the Druid will enable the necro to shine. You'll lack slows but won't need them. Let the necro carry this trio. Druid/necro was already a great duo for charming, fearing, root rotting. Occasionally Druid can quad while necro twitches and mage can finish off stragglers

Glasken
08-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Shaman.

Druid overlaps with necro and mags a bit, and an enchanter leaves the necro on heal duty. Not impossible, but def a higher skill requirement.

Troxx
08-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Shaman adds the most raw power I'd say. Shaman slows buffs regens and heals makes this trio viable with safety all the way to 60.

Other than shaman good choices are ench, second necro, second mage, cleric, bard, Druid. Best 3 options for 3rd wheel? Sham/ench with bard as either a distant 3rd or nowhere close depending on player skill. Cleric would be far preferable to an average or bad bard. Without a priest or bard you rely entirely on necro heals for players and pet chaining. Bard falls short here as well as bard can't heal pets. Without slows you'll stress out a cleric or Druid healer at the high end.

So really in the long run you'll want a healer. In the long run the potency of slow and castable buffs make shaman the clear winner.

Lhancelot
08-02-2017, 07:45 AM
So really in the long run you'll want a healer. In the long run the potency of slow and castable buffs make OGRE shaman the clear winner.

I just added a small fix. Otherwise, I agree with this 100%! :p

tobi
08-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Shaman, if only to avoid the third cloth class

turbosilk
08-02-2017, 12:26 PM
With no ench in the group a troll or iksar is preferable to ogre for minimizing downtime for medding

Lhancelot
08-02-2017, 12:38 PM
With no ench in the group a troll or iksar is preferable to ogre for minimizing downtime for medding

This is debateable. If your iksar/troll fails to get his spells off because he is interrupted and the group wipes/dies, then how much time is wasted due to loss of XP and CRing?

Ogre > all.

PRO TIP: OGRES HAVE HIDDEN STATS!

gildor
08-02-2017, 12:40 PM
...FSI does not stop interrupts

gkmarino
08-02-2017, 01:01 PM
...FSI does not stop interrupts:confused:

loramin
08-02-2017, 01:03 PM
...FSI does not stop interrupts

It stops the ones caused by stuns from mobs positioned in front of the character, no?

Hush.

dafier
08-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Another mage would be fun. I have a fetish for full pet groups.

When I was a wee mage years ago some of the best fun I had was grouping with mostly mages but a few necros as well in DL. We would literally sit out in the middle of everything (on a small hill) and have our pets wrecking everything that came near our camp.

So much fun